News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

23-04-24, 06:29AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 5,899
  • Latest: dezza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,400
  • Total Topics: 637
  • Online today: 80
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 87
Total: 88

VLH CLOSURE ANNOUNCEMENT

Started by lucgeo, 12-03-24, 02:57PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gomezz

Quote from: LittleNomad on 07-04-24, 09:45PM
Quote from: gomezz on 06-04-24, 09:03PM
Quote from: LittleNomad on 06-04-24, 01:25PMAlso they will not recieve any Email addresses of the any member as that part of the SQL database will be erased, so they can't use it for any nefarious/advertising reasons.
Very understandable.  But would it be possible to do a mass email shot to all existing members explaining the changes and how to sign up to any new platform that may assume the purpose of this site?  That way it is up to each member to decide if they are happy to give their email address to any new site.
I don't believe the forum software will allow me to do that (Send a mass Email to all members). It's either give every Email address or none, I'm not spending time, deleting just some of them
Fair enough.  I wonder if the URL for the web site could be redirected to a holding page at minimal cost at least for a short time.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

ImBackBaby

Quote from: gomezz on 08-04-24, 09:22AM
Quote from: LittleNomad on 07-04-24, 09:45PM
Quote from: gomezz on 06-04-24, 09:03PM
Quote from: LittleNomad on 06-04-24, 01:25PMAlso they will not recieve any Email addresses of the any member as that part of the SQL database will be erased, so they can't use it for any nefarious/advertising reasons.
Very understandable.  But would it be possible to do a mass email shot to all existing members explaining the changes and how to sign up to any new platform that may assume the purpose of this site?  That way it is up to each member to decide if they are happy to give their email address to any new site.
I don't believe the forum software will allow me to do that (Send a mass Email to all members). It's either give every Email address or none, I'm not spending time, deleting just some of them
Fair enough.  I wonder if the URL for the web site could be redirected to a holding page at minimal cost at least for a short time.
You can purchase the domain for around £10 a year, it just means no one else can use the domain verylittlehelps.com. I owe a few domains that I have created for business's that I wanted to set up.

LittleNomad

Quote from: BritishRacingGreen on 08-04-24, 05:50AMThank you @LittleNomad.
Under 'Actions' on the profile menu, the only option available is "download profile data".
There appears to be no option to delete the account under any of the headings on the menu offered.
You should be able to delete your account now, I've changed the permissions
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen Hawking

azura

LittleNomad, I've been a lurker here for a while, I'm very sorry for your loss.

Just out of curiosity, what are the storage requirements of the site, how big is the database? Could potentially deploy a replacement afterwards, if not a migration. Though, as others have said, Reddit's r/tesco is pretty active with similar styles of posts...

LittleNomad

SQL Database about 100mb
Public_HTML directory about 200mb

Storage isn't a big deal when hosting VLH, it's the traffic volume.
It needs to be able to handle 1000+ people online at any one time, which happens when Tesco does an announcement, normally about job losses.

Forum Stats
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen Hawking

dfl

So how would I go about taking it over, i'd need some idea how to do it, but if i could afford it i would do it, this site has been invaluable to me and many many others and it would be a shame to have it simply disappear
DFL

BooHoo

No, it's got to go. Bye bye.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk