Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:29PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 283
Total: 286

Do we still Get paid for isolating?

Started by person7, 20-07-21, 02:10PM

Previous topic - Next topic

person7

OK but confused. My colleagues said they feel sorry for me. As I'm only. Contracted to 7 hours so that means I won't get sick pay when I was off work.

But my manager (although great person, often makes mistakes so not sure to believe it now) said I get my contract hours pay (but obviously no overtime)

NHS track and trace said as I work part time and with benefits I can get a £500 grant but ONLY if tesco DON'T pay my "full wages"

But unfair that I lose £500 because tesco may pay me £63 when everyone else gets the full £500 like one my friends.

So I need to find out.. Either way I'm now overdrawn at the bank and going to lose ton on my next payday as I'm only. Contracted to 7 hours. The rest is all overtime etc.

Katarn2000

You could probabyclaim universal credit for the time you need to self isolate if you only get paid for 7 hours.

oldfashionedplayer

You could still be eligible regardless, as there is the discretionary benefit of the £500 that can be awarded, but like above, if your on universal you could still get the payment, but you can always use the excuse "I do regular overtime (if you do) and from that you are financially worse off..

NightAndDay

If you work under 16 hours a week, I believe you can claim UC, the £500 payment wouldn't exclude certain people on UC from others I would have thought.

Suemay

Just had the same situation!! 7 1/2 hours but work 20-25 every week!! Got £74 for the 10 days!! Can't claim the £500 because Tesco pay sick pay!! Absolute joke!!

Dante

I was on shift and was taken ill mid shift fever diarrhea etc and was sent home and told to do a covid test (even tho there's a bad bug going around) I was told not to return until I provide a negative test and I have put my colleagues at risk I have been double jabbed and was willing to carry on working just take some medication so because they have sent me home where do I stand on getting paid? Its beyond my control if they send me home I dnt feel its fair missing out on pay when I was willing to stay  8-)

barafear

My understanding is that if you worked at least half of your hours in your shift, then you would be paid for your whole shift.

However, you probably won;t get paid if you have any further days off -

well based on the "no pay for first three days" of sickness.

Unless you started with the company before 2004 or something similar

But also, I'm not sure what the current policy is is you do happen to test positive and therefore are unable to return to work?

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: Dante on 10-08-21, 01:02PM
I was on shift and was taken ill mid shift fever diarrhea etc and was sent home and told to do a covid test (even tho there's a bad bug going around) I was told not to return until I provide a negative test and I have put my colleagues at risk I have been double jabbed and was willing to carry on working just take some medication so because they have sent me home where do I stand on getting paid? Its beyond my control if they send me home I dnt feel its fair missing out on pay when I was willing to stay  8-)

if your sent home and told not to return until a test, then under the Covid Q&A FAQ you'll be paid for the time off while waiting, regardless if it's a normal bug or not. the retail daily news of Tuesday 15th June outlines that if your unwell, you should stay home and book a test immediately.

"Please remind all colleagues that if at any time they have COVID-19 symptoms or feel generally unwell at all - they should stay at home and book a test immediately. Also if anyone in their household has symptoms, or if they are contacted by NHS Test and Trace they also need to isolate. If any colleague feels unwell at work, they should speak to their line manager or the duty manager immediately."

so if your not paid, raise it as a pay dispute > grievance  >:D

horatiocain

If you're sick during a shift the whole white is paid regardless of the reason, doesn't matter how little of the shift is worked it's always paid.
This is because the 3 day wait applies from the first full day of sickness, but as you were told to take a tests and not return it would be covid related sickness and full pay.

If you work more than half the shift it isn't included in your absence percentage.

Dante

I hope this is the case as I'm still at home waiting on the test result so I've missed 3 days work now I don't feel it's fair as the bug I had has now passed and I feel fine to return but can't until I get them and the more shifts I miss the more my sickness absence is goin up no doubt get dragged in for an AR 😡

oldfashionedplayer

Any sickness related to covid (eg you taking a test / waiting for results) will be invalidated, it's not allowed to be used as part of your Percentage, and it will get thrown out in any meeting so do challenge that.

grim up north

Quote from: Dante on 12-08-21, 01:37PM
I hope this is the case as I'm still at home waiting on the test result so I've missed 3 days work now I don't feel it's fair as the bug I had has now passed and I feel fine to return but can't until I get them and the more shifts I miss the more my sickness absence is goin up no doubt get dragged in for an AR 😡

Covid test results are returned in less than 24 hours, aren't they?

horatiocain

I've just had a quick read of the policies and while they've snuck some changes against the workforce in the major plots haven't changed.

Your absence is covid related so will be paid because you're self isolating due to covid.

barafear

Tesco have updated their Covid related sick policy - not sure how this applies to the poster who asked the question - but they have limited the payment of sick pay from day 1 to certain special circumstances - not just "Covid related" :

As the rules around COVID-19 begin to relax further, we've been actively reviewing all our people polices, including the need to self-isolate after coming into contact with someone who has COVID-19.

Following the latest Government guidance, where a colleague is contacted by the various national contact tracing services, you will not need to self-isolate and can attend work if you are double vaccinated (and 14 days have passed since your second vaccine) or under the age of 18.

There are currently different policies across the UK:

In Scotland it is also mandatory that you have received a negative PCR test before you return to work, and you must self-isolate while awaiting the result. You'll be paid COVID-19 sick pay while waiting for your PCR test results which is normally within 24 hours.
In England, the Government advise and encourage you to take a PCR as soon as possible; although you will not be required to self-isolate whilst awaiting the result.
In Wales, the Government advise and encourage you to take a PCR on day two and day eight after being contact traced, although you will not be required to self-isolate whilst awaiting the result.
In Northern Ireland, the guidance is yet to be formally published but it expected that a similar approach to Wales will be applied.
If you test positive or have COVID-19 symptoms or live with someone who is confirmed as positive, you must continue to isolate for the full ten days, regardless of being vaccinated (in such case, our COVID-19 sick pay policy will continue to apply).

If you choose not to attend work and continue to isolate, or if you're not eligible for the exemption from self-isolation, our normal sickness absence policy will apply except in limited cases. You should discuss this with your manager.

For England, this takes effect from 16 August. For Wales and Scotland this policy is already in place in line with changes introduced by the devolved governments of those nations. For colleagues who live or work in Northern Ireland we will update the policy as soon as the guidance is formally published, this is expected to be prior to 16 August. In the meantime, colleagues in Northern Ireland and England (until 16 August), should continue to isolate for the full ten days if they are identified as a close contact.

Chambers21

I'm confused.  Do we get paid for isolating or not? Pretty sure if I took a test I would test positive but can't afford to lose out on 10 days pay, especially at this time of year.

1982dave

Policy has changed I got pinged in July had to isolate for 10days I got paid for it policy changed not long after people on my dept were told if you have been double jabbed and been told to isolate u can work waiting for the results even tho there's a chance I may have it which is bloody scandalous but there u go when I had to isolate I had to get my nhs case number my isolation certificate aswell and gave that in and if u live alone claim the isolation payment or enquire at least

Chambers21

Well I was told to take a lateral flow test, came back as positive so was sent home and told to get a PCR test.  Now I assume if that comes back negative they wont pay me for the 2/3 days that they have made me miss waiting for the results  :(
Bit of a joke really.

lordadmiral

Example from our store, one guy had to wait for test results. He lost some money (first 3 days) but result was negative. It feels that, while on quarantine you loose 3 days max and then yours sick pay kicks in.

madness

Quote from: Chambers21 on 03-11-21, 03:22PM
Well I was told to take a lateral flow test, came back as positive so was sent home and told to get a PCR test.  Now I assume if that comes back negative they wont pay me for the 2/3 days that they have made me miss waiting for the results  :(
Bit of a joke really.

So you came to work with symptoms?   

oldfashionedplayer

to be fair if you listen to tesco advice you can work until your test comes back positive... whether symptoms or not.. thats the stupidity of the policy...

"Under no circumstances should colleagues who have Covid symptoms attend work without completing a negative
PCR test or until they have completed the ten days isolation.
Colleagues who have a negative PCR test can return to work immediately if they are well enough. "

then you've got the bit futher down that says this:

"Colleagues do not need to self-isolate whilst they wait for the PCR test result so are able to attend
work during that time."

so its a confusing wording as always..

ElderEnclave

Yes you still get paid sick pay (Cvoid) if you have the new covid or have to isolate because you're high risk.

Chambers21

If we have already been off paid for Covid once and a month or so pater we test positive again do we still get pay or is it 10 days unpaid?

oldfashionedplayer

its paid if your to isolate, but it's always following sickness policy first so first 3 days are unpaid unless you have a long service then its paid from day 1 (quite far back), so yes paid.

horatiocain

Actually guys this is where it gets odd
Spoke with an ex rep yesterday  smartest person I know who works for tesco, always trusted him with everything.

SSP is paid from day 1.
Company sick pay is paid after a 3 day wait.

SSP is required to be paid by law so Tesco cannot withhold that.
They can do what they want with company sick pay.

Managers briefing is apparently useless.

They don't advertise the changes to their pandemic policy at all  you have to look for it  which isnt with the rest of the policies.

londoner83

It's up to managers discretion if you get paid from day 1 as covid sickness or are made to wait 3 days.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk