News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:49AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 278
Total: 283

Bank Holiday working

Started by MonkeyNinja, 02-06-21, 03:25AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonkeyNinja

Hi,
I'm a part-time flexible worker. My core hours are 10-4 Sunday, 4-10 Monday, and some core hours on a Wednesday and Thurs. As I work Mondays does that mean I have to work every bank holiday Monday? I was looking through the working hours April 2021 policy and it states....

"If you are a Part time flexible colleague you can have core
hours on a Sunday that are worked each week. You would
not however have an availability window or be required to
flex up on Sundays or Bank Holidays."

Does this mean it's basically tough luck if my core hours are on a Monday so I have to work all the bank holidays?

Redshoes

As you are contracted to Monday's you need to book holiday to be sure of having a bank holiday off.

MonkeyNinja

Ok, thanks. I thought that was the case but wanted to check.

newguy20

That's intersting at my store there are lots of staff contracted to Mondays who flat out refuse to work bank holidays, as they have been there since 1965 nobody does or says anything and they get away with it... result, others are hammered all day as it's always short staffed. Then the next day they all waltz in and complain that routines haven't been done or things left in a mess... wonder why., some of them don't even speak to the manager about it, they'll just not turn up on the day and send a message saying they decided to have the day off. It's taking the pee how a hardcore of staff do what they like and the remainder get all the work dumped on them, and no action from management

forrestgimp

They dont have to, its only the recently recruited who are obliged to.

penguin

Those who joined after January 2009 can be made to work a certain amount of bank holidays, anyone who started before that has the right to say no and management can do nothing about it.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Lavender girl

Do I have to work Sat 1st January 2022?  I'm contracted for Saturdays but wanted the day off as a BH.  My line manager says I can't as it's the Monday 3rd Jan that is the proper BH...??  I am part time flexi and I know that they're not "obliged" to let me have a BH but I thought 25/12 and 01/01 were considered my choice?

lackofinterest

1st of january is new years day not the 3rd. nobody has to work new years day.the tesco bank holiday is actually the 1st not the 3rd. yes as you say its your choice. your line manager hasnt got a clue like a lot of them in our store

Rad

Quote from: Lavender girl on 14-07-21, 08:48PM
Do I have to work Sat 1st January 2022?  I'm contracted for Saturdays but wanted the day off as a BH.  My line manager says I can't as it's the Monday 3rd Jan that is the proper BH...??  I am part time flexi and I know that they're not "obliged" to let me have a BH but I thought 25/12 and 01/01 were considered my choice?
You do not have to work them. The confusion may be coming from sun 26th and Sun 2nd being moved to Monday 27th and Monday 3rd.
In previous years when this has happened colleagues who are contracted to the Sundays are given the option of booking these days off(like a bank holiday)

expressman77

Bank holidays are like your normal holidays in that you have to put in a holiday request
To be off , and like all holidays should all be booked in by end of june

lackofinterest

in almost 20 years i have never put in a holiday request for a bank holiday. i only put in a request if i want to work them which is almost never!!!

lackofinterest

if you started before 2009 you dont have to request bank holidays off. they might want you to  request them but you don't have to

Rad

Quote from: expressman77 on 15-07-21, 07:08PM
Bank holidays are like your normal holidays in that you have to put in a holiday request
To be off , and like all holidays should all be booked in by end of june
This is true for the other bank holidays if the holiday process is being followed correctly.
Even if you have not requested or booked a holiday for Christmas, boxing day or new years day, you cannot be forced to work.

redeo

All I know, I have been invited to a massive new year eve party, so I might be able to get in for 12 on Jan the 1st but if they think I will be in a functional state they got another thing coming.

Rubydubydoo

So I am contracted to a Sunday. If I put a holiday in for boxing day, can they refuse it?

lackofinterest

no. nobody can be forced to work boxing day! boxing day is 26th december every year, no matter what day tosco choose as their bank holiday.

lackofinterest

Quote from: knowles2 on 22-07-21, 07:28PM
All I know, I have been invited to a massive new year eve party, so I might be able to get in for 12 on Jan the 1st but if they think I will be in a functional state they got another thing coming.
nobody can be forced to work january 1st!!!

NightAndDay

Quote from: lackofinterest on 24-08-21, 04:30PM
no. nobody can be forced to work boxing day! boxing day is 26th december every year, no matter what day tosco choose as their bank holiday.

It's not just Tesco though, The government decrees bank holidays can't fall on a weekend as traditional working hours are Mon-Fri 9am-5.30pm, bank holidays are modelled around Saturday and Sunday being days off and so bank holidays must fall on a working day (when companies say it will be with you in 3 to 5 working days, that doesn't mean Saturday or Sunday.)

The dates are still significant though, the bank holiday isn't logically identical to the actual date so you can still have the dates of significance off.

Rubydubydoo

Quote from: lackofinterest on 24-08-21, 04:30PM

This is what I thought but my union rep is saying I need to work it.

lackofinterest

then you need to stop paying union fees. your union rep is useless to you if they're telling you this. don't go in if you don't want to. i know i wouldn't. everybody is allowed 25th, 26th december and 1st january off. contact acas if necessary

Rubydubydoo

Thank you.

forrestgimp

Yep go in and tell them Lackofinterest says you don't have to so you aren't.

Don't forget to pop back and let us know how you get on.

trotter

If you are contracted to work on a Bank Holiday, do you have the option to take the day off as unpaid leave?

BUY TESLA STOCK

Quote from: forrestgimp on 24-08-21, 06:15PM
Yep go in and tell them Lackofinterest says you don't have to so you aren't.

Don't forget to pop back and let us know how you get on.

Wow! Forrest's a smart arse.

mama_bear2006

I've recently joined Tesco and am doing nights.

One of my nights is Friday into Saturday. How will this work with Good Friday? Will I be paid Bank Holiday premium for it?

Also, Saturday into Sunday will fall into Easter Sunday. My shift is 10pm until 6:15am. Do night staff still work on the Saturday into Sunday when it's Easter Sunday?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk