News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 11:24AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 427
Total: 427

Managers Unpaid Hours Worked

Started by Ibanker2, 22-05-21, 08:21AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldfashionedplayer

For ours on nights it's 3 wander around 1 sits in office, then when the wagon arrives they all go up and come down 40 mins later wondering why its not been tipped fully yet, or if its turned up wy we ain't let it in  :D

spike_pkh

Isn't that the backdoor mans job anyway? Not a managers job

Also 4 managers on nights? Doubt you'll have that for much longer after structure change

VladPutin

So what are managers good for? Holiday bookings? :D

anais

And they can't even get that right !!!

Nomad

[admin]Back on topic please.[/admin]
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

forrestgimp

Regardless of your feelings towards managers no one should be working unpaid hours for a multi billion pound fortune 500 company.

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: spike_pkh on 27-05-21, 08:38PM
Isn't that the backdoor mans job anyway? Not a managers job

Also 4 managers on nights? Doubt you'll have that for much longer after structure change

Yeah we are losing 1, who's a hourly paid, the others are salaried so the hourly has been told he has to go back to being a GA as there isn't any hours for him after the change comes into effect later, the rest will all still keep their hours from what theyve said to us so far, cause one hoped for a bit less instead so he could spend more time at home but theyve just told him he needs to keep going  ???

But it is tesco, so who knows... Could very well change up...  :D

superstore_tl

Quote from: Ibanker2 on 23-05-21, 10:38AM
Quote from: Morris999 on 22-05-21, 11:55PM
To be honest I've worked in about 8 large format stores, and helped out in many others and I've never seen a Section/Line or Team Manager Rota that schedules Managers to 37.5 hours per week.
It's always been Early, In or Late shift, with the odd 10-7 or 11-8 thrown in for support on rare occasions or Xmas.

Now the Old Section/Line Manager and current Team Managers contracts did and do state a minimum of 36 hours a week.

Most of the managers in my current store do 36 hours most weeks myself included, apart from the Fresh manager, who is extremely poor at time management and ends up working on average 10 hours per day.
Our Checkout manager effectively strolls in whenever they feel like it when down for an In shift, but will always complete 36 hours per week and very rarely does more unless there's been issues on their department that couldn't be dealt with, but will always take the time back that week or the next.
And has always done that no matter the SM or LT in store.
At the end of the day Team managers are managers and should be able to manage their own working time!
Yes on occasions they will end up doing more than 36 hours but that shouldn't be the normal.
And yes some managers will just do 9 hours each day because it's just easier or forget about the so called early day.

Even the new Team managers contracts state your working hours each day, which while doesn't give you the 1 hour early day each week, does state that your working shifts each day are less than 9 hours(including breaks).

If you are regularly working more than 36 hours per week, then first question your time management, and if you can honestly say that's fine, then just do the 36 hours per week regardless of what your SM/LM puts on a rota, however make sure your actually performing and completing all your Team Manager role.
And that includes, Team 5 for your colleagues, any Training that needs doing etc.
The amount of Managers that fall down on the basics like that is unbelievable, and they then wonder why they end up on performance management.

Re Actual shifts - I have worked 5-2, 6-3, 7-4, 8-5, 9-6, 10-7, 11-8,12-9, 1-10. Some are called early (7-4), mid(9-6 or10-7) or late(1-10) most by start time but I could name 5 or 6 stores that I know of personally where ALL Managers are doing at least 37.5hrs. So I am pleased to hear there are stores where Managers regularly do 36hrs per week.
I would also agree that the expectation for Managers should be to deliver their complete job role in the 36 hrs otherwise that is a performance issue. Personally I have done a 13hr shift on a lockdown evening when alarm system failure meant staying in store till is was fixed and that it is part of your job so no complaints from me but these are the exceptions that you are paid to deal with.

I think the some of this problem came from 24hr opening Nightshift being 10pm to 7am 7 days per week and day shifts fell in line. It is also more of a scheduling issue in smaller Superstores with a small number of Managers

Problem is the contract states minimum 36 hours which is how the company will see it when turned on them
Also on work and pay our hours are set as 7hr15mins each day which should equal to pretty much 36 hours
Although the rota in most shops I have worked in do state the same I.E 7-4 10-7 1-10 a lot of ships still plan team 5 meeting past 4pm which is after the contracted shift if on 7-4
A few shops I know actually plan the meeting for 5pm and all managers are expected to stay until that time
I think best to also contact your Area Organiser of USDAW also to get their input

Ibanker2

It's Work & Pay that has got the questions going . The on-line schedule clearly contracts Managers to 36hrs per week , which is the lie to the Minimum hrs in our contracts and the paper in store schedules. The minimum is not an excuse have free hours worked by Managers or bullied into working longer by having mandatory attendance at Team 5 or Rumble (I know it was done away with / hrs removed etc but it still happens at least twice a day). The "a minimum 36 hrs" is so that the company can deal with exceptions / one off's. I have even been told that the managers are scheduled for 37.5hrs to make sure we do the minim 36hrs ....work that BS out if you can ....Personally I can tell the time. As for the Union ..the ultimate waste of space.

Blandboy

Do you remember that period of time where they wanted managers to clock in and out. And then they stopped us doing it. Makes me wonder whether they didn't want a paper trail of exceeded hours? Admittedly there are still archived rotas, but I'm not sure that record is kept for as long a period of time

forrestgimp

Thats exactly why you are not clocking in and out.

VladPutin

You don't like, "working" extra hours, quit. Find another job. The GA's won't miss you. Hell, it will take some time before we even realise you're gone... ;D

gomezz

If they won't be missed, so working no hours why are they needed to work extra hours?   8-)
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

spike_pkh

Managers working extra hours for free is nothing new. Its been a typical exploitation bu upper management in the company for years. All part of the job though I suppose for the odd occasion and if done on a regular basis then the own managers fault for not growing a backbone and standing up to their bosses

expressman77

Theres not many companies where you become a Manager or Senior Manager
and only do 36 hours a week, or just work monday to friday
Not just in retail  but in all walks of life

NightAndDay

Those manager roles also pay considerably higher however.

londoner83

Most managers want to do the right thing and deliver their job role within 36hrs. However way too many people in the company still expect them to undertake tasks that are not included in their role packs.....ie the 2hrs a day spent rumbling (which is over 25% of their working day). If you want to tackle excess hours you also need to tackle ad-hoc tasks that the company tells us not to do, but store managers and SDs believe you still should

Albert

Managers are paid a salary not hourly, with a minimum 36 hour week worked. If it takes 40hrs for them to complete their job then thats their problem. If they have completed the job to store managers satisfaction in 36hrs then go home.

oldfashionedplayer

Most are salary some are hourly, just depends, but like you say, if they are stupid enough to do 40 while salaried for 36 then that's on them...

Redshoes

Managers are salaried but have a known hourly rate. Only paid hourly for overtime, such as Sundays.

forrestgimp

Salaries are supposed to include remuneration for the occasional overtime with the emphasis on occasional. If it becomes the norm or is excessive then its time to renegotiate your pay package.

Redshoes

We don't live in a perfect world. There will always be glitches to the system but that is not unique to us.

Nomad

Strange how some glitches are readily accepted/tolerated  8-)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Redshoes

When you become a manager you are expected to be able to manage yourself, to a certain extent.

VladPutin

Quote from: gomezz on 05-06-21, 09:43AM
If they won't be missed, so working no hours why are they needed to work extra hours?   8-)

They're not needed. That's the point. Fresh is pretty much run by long serving GA's. Stock Control is another example; since fresh stock is controlled by the people at Centre, Stock Control is pretty much irrelevant to Produce, Dairy etc. Because they can't effect what we have delivered. We get far too much stock no matter what counts SC do. And there is nothing they can do to stop it being forced in.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk