Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 01:20PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 428
Total: 432

Social distancing and face masks

Started by Zoomer999, 16-05-21, 06:01AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoomer999

What can be done with regards to lack of social distancing and failure to properly wear face masks ie: being worn as a chin strap, whose responsibility is it to ensure people are complying with these??? Concerned as high community transmission in my area.

Paulie

Haven't you had enough of wearing masks? I'm all for abandoning masks all together. The sooner the better otherwise we will never get out of wearing them. What's the use of the vaccines if we're still social distancing and masked up.

fscer

Because only less than half the country has been fully vaccinated?

penguin

Paulie, masks and distancing need to remain for a while yet, many people haven't even had a first jab yet. and there is the risk of new variants springing up that could evade the vaccines, so for now better safe than sorry when it comes to masks etc.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

spike_pkh

I hope masks and social distancing in public stay for a long time. I havent been ill or had a cold in over a year. Its great

VladPutin

The majority of customers are too stupid and selfish to practice social distancing. Even last year, under the highest level of restrictions, I saw customers barging past each other and the staff to grab stuff off the shelves. This literally happened every day.

penguin

Some customers simply have no care towards the staff or fellow shoppers, people like that only learn the hard way, trying to reason with them and get them to social distance is like talking to the provable brick wall.

whatajoke2019

If it wasn't for the fact I'd get nothing but pure grief I'd happily tell the idiots who are fighting over a 20p sandwich come 7pm where to go.

The vacant looks on their masked faces when you politely ask them to step back so you can place the stock into the reduction mod speaks volumes  :-X.

VladPutin

I refuse to do reductions on the shop floor now. I put everything on a blue top and wheel it through the back. Once it's reduced I take it back to the RM.

I'm not risking my health for a bunch of losers desperate to grab the last reductions of the day.

Zoomer999

I'm really trying to figure out who has the role of ensuring compliance amongst Tesco staff as let's face it lots of them don't give a monkeys about the people around them ie: shielding people who have recently returned to work.

spike_pkh

I find telling both staff and customers in a loud and stern but polite tone that I wont talk to them unless they step back, put a mask on, or both works wonders. And they can't complain as I am just following government guidelines and protecting my vulnerable self.

jester21

What do you do then if they say they're exempt?

Bacons

Paulie

About time, anyone still scared of the virus should carry on wearing them and possibly come to work in a hazard suit. Let the rest live their lives getting back to normal. Standards have been falling in the mask wearing department lately anyway in my store, most folks just want to breath in fresh air.

spike_pkh

Quote from: jester21 on 17-05-21, 11:08AM
What do you do then if they say they're exempt?

Nobody is exempt from stepping back away from me. If they can't wear a mask then they can stand a good 6ft from me at all times

penguin

Quote from: Bacons on 17-05-21, 12:56PM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9587231/Supermarket-bosses-set-meet-government-call-end-mask-wearing-social-distancing.html

haha oh dear.

looks like the little power trip for the maskholes may (hopefully) be coming to an end

I would hardly say asking people to follow medical advice to prevent the spread of a pandemic is a power trip, it seems like common sense to me.

newguy20

It's getting worse of late and they aren't even pretending to be somehow exempt anymore. Asked someone who was coughing in my face the other day that he should be wearing a mask or coughing elsewhere... the usual tirade of abuse. Then other customers ask why you're not saying anything to people. The exemptions thing anyway was silly - they should have just said if you genuinely can't wear one, shop online.

whatajoke2019

I was sorely tempted to get a t-shirt printed with the following message: "Please refrain from giving colleagues abuse. You know full well that only the Police have the authority to challenge non-mask wearers!"

Funnily enough I was in work the other day and someone felt the need to cough quite frequently, everywhere, and now I'm coming down with their s0dding cold!  >:(

Nomad

I have not yet read a strong reason as to what condition(s) prevent a person wearing a face shield inside a store during a shopping trip.  An asthmatic in the family informs me that a shield has no detriment on their condition as the shield is at least 20/25mm away from their mouth/nose.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Spidercatcher

Quote from: newguy20 on 18-05-21, 10:49PM
It's getting worse of late and they aren't even pretending to be somehow exempt anymore. Asked someone who was coughing in my face the other day that he should be wearing a mask or coughing elsewhere... the usual tirade of abuse. Then other customers ask why you're not saying anything to people. The exemptions thing anyway was silly - they should have just said if you genuinely can't wear one, shop online.

Agree in spades, Newguy! Instead of Tesco, at the very least even pretending to keep the staff safe, they put the onus on us (no intended play on words there ...) to keep ourselves safe in the workplace ... which usually means staff getting abused right, left & centre - but hey! At least Tesco itself can't be blamed for that - it's the pesky old paranoid workers objecting to non-mask wearing customers, etc, in an attempt to keep themselves alive, innit. So nothing to see here.   8-)   

I do believe that some of the more decent managers are sympathetic and would like to support us more, but they can't, they're tesco managers, they've already sold their souls and unfortunately passively toe the Store Managers' lines. That's how pathetically perilous the whole situation has become. I'll never forgive Tesco for this for as long as I live, Duty of Care regarding staff during this whole pandemic 'well out the window'.  Profit before Lives, and always was -  they should be ashamed of themselves.

VladPutin

Tesco Radio, "The welfare of our colleagues and customers is our top priority"

Every GA <Laughs in Cynical> 8-)

lol its me

I'm keeping my mask, even after Covid, not had a cold or been ill in over a year, as someone who has severe asthma and when I  get sick I get real bad months, long severe chest infections.  I'll be keeping the mask! best health I've been in in years.

Peanutsmummy79

Hi, I'm new here.. well not totally new. I've been reading for a while but this is my first time posting.

I can't seem to start a new topic so figured this was the best post to ask on.

I am on a grocery night team and I am genuinely interested to hear from other night team colleagues about face masks and what the protocol is in your store. Are you still wearing face coverings in your store for your entire shift?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

[gmod]Welcome to posting. Your post fits nicely in this topic, however Please read VLH Supporter Benefits[/gmod]

Brez

Peanuts, majority in my store still wearing them all night, a few walking around with them hanging off of their face, a small minority not bothering.

Managers don't give a hoot any more and don't pull anyone up on it.

dippy

The ones of us that have to wear them have them on all night, must admit we do wonder why when we don't see anyone except team fills as we work down an aisle by alone.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk