Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:51PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 300
Total: 302

Flinging shopping down the conveyer belt causing repetitive strain injury

Started by skyray, 29-04-21, 06:59PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skyray

I wonder if any other checkout operator is experiencing the same problems caused by the extra distance we are now expected to push shopping - in order for it to reach customers now standing  at the end of the conveyer belt. For older people and for those with any sort of physical impairment this extra effort can cause repetitive strain injuries that could easily be avoided. A couple of people in just one store have sore ribs caused by straining the intercostal muscles in their chests  as well as sore shoulders and arms due to being forced now to do this. Interested to know if anyone else is suffering because of the way we now have to deal with shopping at the till.

barafear

Yes, I agree completely.
The layout of the tills has not been thought out at all for the Health & Safety of the employee. Unless you happen to be 6ft plus (and have long arms) then everything is a bit of a stretch (from reaching shopping - some customers seem determined to put shopping as far away as possible - to even reaching for the receipt and then handing to customer who may/may not be keeping their distance).

Personally, I rotate sitting and standing at the till - but both ways does cause some sort of "over-reaching pains" -

However, I'm also aware that shop floor staff lugging around heavy cages/boxes don't have it easy either.

I'm meant to add - I'd like to think I don't "fling shopping down the conveyor belt" - obviously we don't have belts at that end of the till anyway - but I do try to gently slide shopping down - but some products slide better than others!!

newguy20

I tend to scan normally and every so often push them down towards the customer with the hand that isn't scanning. Or where possible use a large item eg cornflakes box to push them away from you.

The screens were obviously brought in as a panic measure and are ok but some do have lack of logical gap to take money/cards from the customer, return change/cards/receipt etc. Our CSD ones are awfully laid out. If they do have to be kept they could really do with a redesign.

Twinkeltoes1

Went shopping today and thought Id gone into Aldi or Lidl, the cashier threw it down and had piled up. Not impressed.

barafear

Modena

Please could someone tell me how I start up a new topic as I haven't done this before, thank you.

[mod]Ref: starting new topic. Please read VLH Supporter Benefits[/mod]

pitdiver

When I worked on Checkouts and even before covid came in I injured my shoulder by pulling a pack of beer off the belt. Eventuallyit seemed to have got better but it took a long time.

barafear

Cinderella

Customers refuse to give distance to the staff in my store. It is a constant source of arguments! They stand as close to the screen as they possibly can, so it does eliminate the need for shoving things down, but some distance would have been appreciated also. Ever since the pandemic began, its as if people think Tesco is the one place the virus can't survive! All pile in and on top of each other. Verbal abuse if you ask anyone to stand back a bit

newguy20

[mod]Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).[/mod]

and when you don't challenge people for standing too close / not wearing a mask... other customers come and abuse you for not doing anything!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk