News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:06PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,123
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Working over Christmas/NY

Started by josephinebutler, 21-10-20, 01:34PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephinebutler

As a student coming back for the holidays, can Tesco force you to work 3 of the 4 busy seasonal days over the festive period? My son works for them, luckily I got out a few years ago, and has received a strongly worded letter from the store today, essentially saying that as a student you are ‘expected to work a reasonable amount of hours, including 3 of the 4 main seasonal trading days (Xmas Eve, Boxing Day, NYE and NYD)’

He may not even be able to come home yet if corona necessitates a period of self isolation before Xmas anyway.

Nobody can be made to work Xmas Day, Boxing Day or New Year's Day (and 02 January in Scotland only). These dates are voluntary, it will be on his contract.

josephinebutler

So as I suspected then, they are making it up to suit their needs. Nothing seems to have changed since I left then! He is contracted to work Boxing Day, and will probably work it to be honest, but the element of compulsion has really got my back up. So essentially they cannot compel him even to work his contracted shift on Boxing Day either?

No, it's definitely voluntary.

Holiday Policy February 2020

If you joined Tesco before 26th January 2009, working on a bank holiday is voluntary unless your contract specifically requires you to do so.
If you joined on or after 26th January 2009 and there are insufficient volunteers to work on a bank holiday, you may be required to work on up to five bank holidays (excluding Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day) if you are normally scheduled to work on the day the bank holiday
falls. Colleagues in Scotland do not have to work on 2nd January if they don’t want to.

lucgeo

Quote from: josephinebutler on 21-10-20, 01:34PM
As a student coming back for the holidays, can Tesco force you to work 3 of the 4 busy seasonal days over the festive period? My son works for them, luckily I got out a few years ago, and has received a strongly worded letter from the store today, essentially saying that as a student you are ‘expected to work a reasonable amount of hours, including 3 of the 4 main seasonal trading days (Xmas Eve, Boxing Day, NYE and NYD)’

He may not even be able to come home yet if corona necessitates a period of self isolation before Xmas anyway.

I would suggest your son emails the area senior people partner with a copy of that letter asking for clarification, as to whether this is now Tesco policy, and request an updated contract showing this change in contracts.
He does not need to include his name, just cut and paste the letter, clearly showing the managers name and signature, he can use a different email address. Whether he's a union member or not, he should also ring the area union office to request clarification as to whether the partnership agreement, which was agreed on behalf of every colleague, irrespective of union membership, has been amended  ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

josephinebutler

Oh yes! I’m happy to get him to do that. How would I find out who the area people partner is? He’s away at the other end of the country at the moment and I know he won’t call them to find out. I can go into the store and ask but that might ruffle a few feathers!

NightAndDay

I'm curious, Can the HR director discipline one of the 4 (convenience director for the North, South, East or West of England), I'm under the impression that the HR wonks must bow before those with such power and responsibility?

lucgeo

The store P.P. email address should be on the store notifications board, who you can email requesting the name of area senior personnel, and contact details....alternatively you can email HO and ask for the store's area senior personnel email contact details, or if you are still in contact with any colleagues from the store, ask them to enquire.

josephinebutler

Thank you. I’ll get in touch with HO tomorrow. I’m annoyed because the manager of this department obviously thinks that they can ride rough shod over younger members of staff who are less versed in the underhand tactics of the big corp. I know who this manager is from old, and sadly this doesn’t surprise me at all.

Halftone84

Quote from: 80377494 on 21-10-20, 03:59PM
Holiday Policy February 2020

If you joined Tesco before 26th January 2009, working on a bank holiday is voluntary unless your contract specifically requires you to do so.
If you joined on or after 26th January 2009 and there are insufficient volunteers to work on a bank holiday, you may be required to work on up to five bank holidays (excluding Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day) if you are normally scheduled to work on the day the bank holiday
falls. Colleagues in Scotland do not have to work on 2nd January if they don’t want to.

As per the other thread, https://www.gov.uk/bank-holidays states the Monday is the bank holiday substitute day for boxing day.  The way I read that is Saturday is a normal working day, and the bank holiday falls on the Monday.

All wages clerks, store managers and Stock & Admin managers were given this information in March.

Found this on Colleague Help. The bottom paragraph is the relevant one.

If you work nights you will have a designated 24 hour period which will replace the actual bank holiday. This starts at 12 noon on the day before the bank holiday, or 12 noon on the day of the bank holiday. This will be agreed following consultation with your management team, union representatives, and members of the night team. 

Easter Sunday is not a bank holiday, although most of our stores and offices will be closed. Colleagues that are contracted to work on the day Easter Sunday falls have the option of booking a day’s holiday from their holiday allowance, re-arranging their working hours to another day, or working additional hours in advance of Easter.

Sometimes a bank holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday and there is a National Proclamation to move it to another day (usually the following Monday and/or Tuesday). As Saturday is a normal working day for colleagues in stores and distribution, we will only reallocate a bank holiday which falls on a Sunday.   

Halftone84

Thanks, where can I view that for tomorrow when I change my holiday from the Monday to the boxing day ?

lucgeo

Are you days or nights?

It on Colleague Help under the following:

Time Away From Work  Holiday (For colleagues not on 'Work & Pay') Holiday (Non 'Work & Pay' locations): What named bank holidays am I entitled to?

Halftone84

Awesome, found it.

Just asked for it as the last day I have left to book off, and was given the response "isn't it only optional if you book it off at the beginning of the year, not last minute ?"

josephinebutler

Crikey, they don’t want to give this information out very easily. Apparently it’s not possible to get the people partner‘s, or whatever personnel are called now, email address without going through the line manager. Which is precisely what he doesn’t want to do for fear of being looked at unfavourably. Head office are not being helpful!

lucgeo

If you can find out their name, it's a uniform email address they all use...someone on here will have the current format ???
Phone up Head Office to enquire...you don't have to give your name, or phone the area USDAW office to ask, or the store rep?

oldfashionedplayer

Can also ask on the colleague help as a contact us request, they will provide you with the name and number and email to. Contact them too 😁

Redshoes

Check the notice boards. The people partner had to put up a poster with a picture of themselves with contact details. This was a while back but could still be up and one of the posters you just don't see without looking.
Email format is same for everyone now and just has a number added if more than one person with same name.

lucgeo

??? What is the current correct email format, as in e.g. name.@tesco .com ???

chris9997

I Think this year with or without other retailers locked down the government needs to make sure the supermarkets toe the line and put severe penalties in place for companies/individual stores not following covid rules because with the increased foot traffic expected especially boxing day all supermarkets appear to have downgraded the risk themselves (no more one  way systems stores cluttered in certain areas make social distancing difficult

chris9997

Regarding Christmas day/Boxing day it is now clearly printed on the Contract of employment it is voluntary for all.

lackofinterest

doesnt need to be on contracts. theyve always been voluntary along with new years day

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk