News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:32AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 288
Total: 291

Temp contract

Started by Freebird123, 01-01-20, 06:04PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long gone

Quote from: Freebird123 on 08-01-20, 02:14PM
thanks for all replies :). Update Wednesday is here! as of 12am my contract ended and still no word. I've been told I have a job if I want it offered to me by my manager , then told  as far as  my manager is aware from the office I have a job, then told a letter was in the post to me ... still not received then told theyre 'making up' the permanent contracts for temporary staff ..... then told if my temporary contract end date has expired and they haven't said anything that I do indeed have a permanent job but that I don't get a contract! How do I apart from wages obviously ... prove on paper I work for Tesco, re holidays, terms and conditions if they do not give me a contract? I'm confused by what I'm being told and still no further along. I cant even check on my Our Tesco site because its not allowing me on there anymore and the email they give for password issues is obviously wrong one!  ??? >:( :thumbdown:

Do not accept the job, you'd be happier and more successful applying for the Dole than working for this shambles of a company

Redshoes

And yet you can't let go

Guidance

Would anyone be able to tell me when the Christmas temporary workers finish? I have asked for my contract on multiple days and keep being told it’s coming in a few weeks but I am never given an answer so I don’t know when I am going to cease to work there. I have asked when I finish too and have been given vague answers from the end of December to the 4th of January.

Will it be around the 4th January or is it literally Christmas Day? I would like to know so that I can plan my finances and budget.

Redshoes

That will depend on your store. Some temps may even be kept on. We have at least one temp in our store who we will keep for about 3 months. Scottish store are keeping temps into new year, probably 2nd or 3rd Jan. All experienced colleagues will tell you that January is the quiest time of the year. Exisiting colleague have been encouraged to take unpaid leave if the want to before now. Overtime dries up. If I was you I would not expect into the new year but it all depends on your store and how they sit with hours.

Guidance

So I may finish at the end of next week? I think my store has already recruited more temporary workers as I seen them in the training room. Not sure why they didn’t just extend our contracts. Kinda rude.

Redshoes

It's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. All will depend on your stores set up the fact that they are recruiting is potentially a good sign.
A temp can only be a temp for so long. Some don't work out. The stores need people that will work hard and be helpful and a support to existing staff. I would not go as far as saying you have to work all hours as you don't. But you need to be an asset.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Stores need people who do a bit of work and do not complain about the other man.

Guidance

I do a lot of work and complain about nothing. A lot of the permanent staff stand talking for minutes at a time.

But that’s neither here nor there.

T.C.1

Just asking a question to colleagues do you think this batch of Christmas temps night or day are a great deal better then other years??

dotnochance

Siwel123

It's individual surely, every year you've some that are amazing, majority good decent workers and then the odd few bad ones.
We do seem to have a lot more temps this year though

whatajoke2019

Have to say the temporary colleagues I've been working alongside are brilliant. They actually engage with pretty much everyone, have a laugh and get on with it.

Am crossing my fingers we'll have the hours after Christmas to keep them on permanently.

Nomad

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13498747/tesco-shelf-stacker-sacked-self-isolate/

QuoteThe 24-year-old had only worked three shifts at the Tesco Extra in Romford, Essex, on a temporary festive contract.

He said he called his boss to tell them of the worrying news.

But Dominic was then shocked to get a letter less than a week later confirming his contract was being terminated.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

newguy20

We have about 6 temps in our store who started back in March when the pandemic began, they were kept on and have been strung along on short term contracts. Seems a bit silly to not take people on permanently, most are only on 10-12 hours a week but yet have the disorganised "oh are you going/aren't you going/oh we need to do the paperwork" dance every couple of months!!

spike_pkh

I honestly think the temps and agency staff get worse every year. Dont want to work hard or put in any significant hours.

Of course there are always a few great temp staff and they are always kept on if they want, however a majority are useless

Cbatt566

Ever wonder why that might be? Retail is a dead end job... people come and go all the time... perhaps not like you.

NightAndDay

Exactly, pay peanuts gets monkeys.

lordadmiral

Quote from: T.C.1 on 17-12-20, 03:10PM
Just asking a question to colleagues do you think this batch of Christmas temps night or day are a great deal better then other years??

Quote from: Guidance on 16-12-20, 12:47PM
I do a lot of work and complain about nothing. A lot of the permanent staff stand talking for minutes at a time.

But that’s neither here nor there.

We have contracted staff compared to agency (last two years). We have one guy who is very good and other 5 who are bad. And we had one guy exceptionally bad and he quit two weeks later as work was to hard for him.
Cant expect miracle from newly hired employee but if you ask (and show how to cary out the task) someone to pick up a box, open it and put it on the shelf and they do not know how to open , or where to put the box (even if you literally point out the spot),
then i am sory but its a complete joke.
One of our xmas temps from 2017/18 who was hired permamently asked if she is still slow. I said, "yes, and for a comparison we had a guy who with only one hand managed to twice more than you or anyone else".

Regarding working a lot or hard not talking or talking. Example from last year xmas. One girl who worked on tea and coffe aisle needed extra hour to finish the work. Guy who worked the days she was off needed 4-4.5 to finish the job (all done to high standards and no skimming). While on fag break she complained how hard the work is, there is to much to do, she should be paid atleast twice as anyone else.
We old employess complain on the other hand that the new employes are way to slow hitting somewhere between 40-60% of our productivity. Same aisle similar level of workload. Or another example from our dairy department. No delivery , backstock only and 3 people cant do it, need to send 4th one. Wow 15 cages (no need to fill meat) some are full some nearly empty but it is to much for people to cope with. While girl who works there 5 nights a week had to fill whole dairy on her own few times in the past when we had no delivery.
We have some woman who come back to tesco after about 7 years after she left, and she is saying that todays level of employees is worst than pathetic. And we are not talking about fresh one but some who are with ous for months and years. They simply are not improving much.

Other stores in the town are not in any better situation. But its not my story to tell.

dotnochance

You know what I’ve learnt after working at Tesco for 15 years? New starts are always c**p till they learn how to do the job, the other members in the department complain about how s*** that new start is at the job. After a few months the new person gets somewhat competent at the job and joins the others in the department complaining at how s*** the new start is at the job. Rinse and repeat for my 15 years. News flash to everyone complaining about how c**p new people are at the job, people complained about you when you joined! Break the cycle

T.C.1

These days no buddy up system no old style team leaders no moral very weak managers so not a good combination.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Stop comparing one to the other do a few hours work and go home.

breeksy

Hey, sorry for jumping on this thread, but I've just joined, can't search and can't find a way to post my own thread.

I'm an Xmas temp, and I've had one payment - but how do I access my payslip? In order to sign up at ourtesco.com to see payslips, you need your employee number - from your payslip. But I have what I think is my employee number and it doesn't recognise it. Is it because I've not been there three months?

I would ask my manager, but he's self isolating at the moment!

dotnochance

my card is like 15 years old, my number is on my card have a look at your sign in card it should be on there?

breeksy

No, unfortunately it isn't. The EMP NO bit is blank.

breeksy

All new starters should receive a paper payslip for their first pay and all the information is on there. Check with your wages clerk. Your wages clerk can also give you your employee number and Activation Code.
Unfortunately, new starters don't get any employee number until approx 10 days after starting so the first clocking card never shows one. However, I believe that all colleagues are given an employee numbers from Day 1 on the new Work and Pay system.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk