News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 12:42PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 302
Total: 305

Options / becoming a manager

Started by Siwel123, 06-12-19, 04:04PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siwel123

Hi all even though i do like to have a good whinge against tesco and some of its practises, i find myself in a bit of a life dilema with the simple fact of i have no f****ng clue what career i want so have taken a gap year while i try decide. I was speaking to my manager at break and they suggested i could try do options and become a manager at tesco if it's something i wanted to pursue.

I'm just a bit split on talking to them more about it, I honestly can't find a career that seems like something I'd want to spend the rest of my life doing and am completely lost on where i see myself so becoming a manager is a nice bit of progression that could open up more doors and give me some more experience as well as a bit more pay ;).

I just have a couple of questions, 1. What's the average managers salary in tesco? 2. How hard is the options programme 3. Can you move cities / towns to other stores, I'm kind of stuck in a small town but the rest of the towns around me are also similar sized with the nearest coty being an hour and a bit away and in a different group,  so can you move groups? 4. Would it be a s*** choice to do options haha.

I know I'm probably going to get ripped to shreds for asking for this info here but ay well

kaled78

you must think of job security,managers could be axed and replaced with shift leaders in the near future

NightAndDay

Quote from: Siwel123 on 06-12-19, 04:04PM
Hi all even though i do like to have a good whinge against tesco and some of its practises, i find myself in a bit of a life dilema with the simple fact of i have no f****ng clue what career i want so have taken a gap year while i try decide. I was speaking to my manager at break and they suggested i could try do options and become a manager at tesco if it's something i wanted to pursue.

I'm just a bit split on talking to them more about it, I honestly can't find a career that seems like something I'd want to spend the rest of my life doing and am completely lost on where i see myself so becoming a manager is a nice bit of progression that could open up more doors and give me some more experience as well as a bit more pay ;).

I just have a couple of questions, 1. What's the average managers salary in tesco? 2. How hard is the options programme 3. Can you move cities / towns to other stores, I'm kind of stuck in a small town but the rest of the towns around me are also similar sized with the nearest coty being an hour and a bit away and in a different group,  so can you move groups? 4. Would it be a s*** choice to do options haha.

I know I'm probably going to get ripped to shreds for asking for this info here but ay well

On options, unless you apply through the Tesco Store graduates scheme, you'll be on 90% of the established rate of the position you're fulfilling (as a Team Manager, lowest salary is 22k-24k a year depending on store format) so 90% of whichever applies (i.e £20,800-£21,600), the stores graduate scheme advertises starting salary at 28k for the same position with a  fast track to Express SM in 1.5 years.

As for if it's any good, from what I've seen and experienced no, the staff turnover for graduate SMs in Express is high because they aren't prepared for the stress the role brings, you will be better supported and treated more favourably than options candidates who got promoted the old fashioned way. Retail as a career isn't great for long term earnings either and is fiercly competitive and political above SM level.

A lot of grads are attracted to retail graduate careers because they think compared to other industries, it's a lot less intellectually challenging, while true, the amount of work and type of lifestyle you'll live (working lates and weekends) for some isn't worth the mentally easier work.

Relocating is harder as well, the higher up you go the more self-serving the managers become and the more they expect from you
While possible to relocate, don't expect it to be as easy as if you're a ca or SL, it's a lot more political.

While retail graduate starting salaries are attractive, you aren't going to reach the same salaries long term as those in other industries, as mentioned earlier Mon-Fri 9-5 office working is the norm outside of retail as well as lower productivity expectations.

Dougall

lordadmiral

As NightandDay said.
Workload , stress level vary from store to store.
Extra hours might damage your life (i ended up wasting 12 h a day as mgr and belive me and my girlfriend at some point started crying beacuse of me not being at home).
If you want mgr job. SS, Extra is way to go. Short comuting time.
Many mgrs/ SM will not help you to progress, coach you. Will expect you to be salvation to theirs problems. You can be a manager who will just do bare minimum and you  will stuck in retail to the rest of your days.

Siwel123

Thank you all so much, it's just I'm stuck in this rut of not knoeing where i want to go in life and what i want to do and this is the first thing thats been offered to me that actually seems achievable

Redshoes

Mobility is good. They are not supposed to let anyone sign on now who says they won't move to another store. You just need to set yourself up online to get prompts when jobs one up in other areas.
Who knows what structure change is coming in the future. The express and metro have been done and things very different for them. It's tough and it's hard but you will learn a lot and do well or sink. Be prepared for long hours. It just might not be that easy getting back into large store structure after, that may depend on where you would locate to.
As for large stores who knows what is coming. Some stores have been able to slim down management team into how they think things might go to try and reduce impact when it comes but it's only a guess, an educated guess but still a guess. Until it does come nobody knows.

Ford Torino

I was on Options for a while some years ago, but ultimately decided I didn't want to be married to the job. As far as I'm concerned, coming  in to do a damned good job, but leaving at the end of my shift without worrying about it is my idea of a good work/life balance. I know a manager outside of work, and the poor woman seems constantly stressed and is thinking of quitting.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Siwel123 on 06-12-19, 11:06PM
Thank you all so much, it's just I'm stuck in this rut of not knoeing where i want to go in life and what i want to do and this is the first thing thats been offered to me that actually seems achievable

Get your degree and apply for graduate schemes outside of retail, I oversee a bunch of graduates in my role, they're paid 33k a year and the stress they endure is 1,000 x less than Tesco, the managers and colleagues are actually nice and professional as well, It took me a while to adjust to the differences in work life balance, stress, unhealthy work practices and mickey mouse management of Tesco, but now I'm very happy with my work life balance. Where I work has a nurturing culture as well (as opposed to the cut throat self serving culture Tesco has), which from what I've seen in my industry (technology and business consulting) is common place in the industry. The graduates are also very happy to.

Long gone

Don't do it ,3 colleagues at our store were put on options and stayed there for 7 years before they even became managers and were only paid GA wages too during that 7 year period ......and in the meantime graduates kept coming and going  immediately starting on ridiculous salaries. If you go on options they treat you like s***, think of you as a GA yet give you management responsibilities without the extra pay to do the actual jobs you are given. Management expect you to work 12 hour shifts with no extra pay on top of your normal shift and then use the "it will be good for your development" card..

DON'T DO IT

lucgeo

My experience of people being on options is twofold.

Some who went on options, but had a bit of nouse about them, in regard of standing up for themselves and challenging, progressed well and soon achieved sign off....though finding a vacant position to apply for became harder after the restructuring, and moving area was mostly required. However if you're really good, the SM will try and block your transfer as much as possible, as they don't want to lose a good worker, who they can keep, with vague promises of something in the pipeline  ???

Others who went on options were non starters, obviously not managegement material, but useful as goffers to the managers. They never got signed off, but were always encouraged to try again, usually in September ready for the big build up, given huge responsibilities (good for their development ) and were almost flogged to death for the twelve weeks,  doing everything on 12 hour shifts. Then come January, told not suitable AGAIN!

The armed forces are about the only place now in my opinion, where they train everyone properly for free, and in so many varied and differing trades, with qualifications highly regarded and recognised.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

Ultimately for options, it boils down to the Store Managers discretion, I can't recommend options purely because it is not a fair transparant process as highlighted by what Lucgeo has said.

Getting a degree and going on the store graduates program is a slightly different matter as the graduates have extra processes in place making the dictatorship process of options  quite unworkable and hence a fairer system for progression, not blocked by the political whims of one unduly unqualified manager.

VladPutin

Quote from: Siwel123 on 06-12-19, 04:04PM

You've been to university. By definition, you have low self-esteem and an aversion to doing real work.

Perfect Tesco manager material, in other words. Get yourself on options, son. You'll go a long way. >:D

NightAndDay

As someome who worked nights and went to university during the day at the same time, that must make me the exception then.

Siwel123

Haven't actually been to uni, taking a gap year at the moment

Siwel123

But thanks for the advice so far, seems options is mainly used as a cheap way to ruin someones life haha, but if you've got some brain cells you can do well.

NightAndDay

If you've got a few brain cells you wouldn't become a retail manager.

Long gone

Quote from: Siwel123 on 07-12-19, 02:56PM
But thanks for the advice so far, seems options is mainly used as a cheap way to ruin someones life haha, but if you've got some brain cells you can do well.

Management don't want intelligence, they want yes men and women, disagree with anything a store manager says or stand up for yourself, the door opening to management becomes further away

penguin

The thing is people who say they wish to progress in Tesco tend to get used big time, expected to work every hour God sends for no extra pay, anything a manager does not wish to do, your going to be doing it, complain about either of the points mentioned, you will be told your not showing enough commitment, go along with it all, you will be told time and time again to keep going as your nearly ready for sign off, on, move to a new role etc. The entire system is awful and very few make it through.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

VladPutin

Quote from: NightAndDay on 07-12-19, 01:50PM
As someome who worked nights and went to university during the day at the same time, that must make me the exception then.

"Worked nights" is like, "honest politician" or, "brave Italian". It's an oxymoron. >:D

londoner83

How fast you progress still depends on who you know and whether your store manager is prepared to let you go.

You need to be good but not so good the store cant function without you. Being related to/sleeping with/or hinting  you would potentially sleep with someone at least at  store manager level seems to speed up the process.

Yes management has been cut in structure changes and it's fair to presume more will go in future. However you shouldn't let that hold you back as in any job no one knows what's around the corner.

gomezz

Quote from: Siwel123 on 07-12-19, 02:51PM
Haven't actually been to uni, taking a gap year at the moment
Unless you are spending it doing charity work in a third-world country then that does come across well on your CV.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

NightAndDay

Quote from: VladPutin on 07-12-19, 06:09PM

"Worked nights" is like, "honest politician" or, "brave Italian". It's an oxymoron. >:D

Express-esso fuel site not superstore, express fuel site on nights is thr hardest job role in Tesco.

Nomad

[admin]And back to the topic, Options/becoming a manager.[/admin]
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Dougall

Quote from: NightAndDay on 08-12-19, 12:59AM
Quote from: VladPutin on 07-12-19, 06:09PM

Express-esso fuel site not superstore, express fuel site on nights is thr hardest job role in Tesco.

Once again a subjective opinion

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk