News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:58PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,123
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Food Stock Managers

Started by beentheredoneit, 01-10-19, 08:04PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beentheredoneit

Hi
I thought that as we are in a rather strange ( even by their standards), it might be useful to have a thread for food stock managers who have or have not lost their positions. If we could keep to this topic, it may be of benefit to those affected.
The timescale of 6 months has been memtioned.  In my briefing no timescale was mentioned, so I told Ski would hang on for redundancy.
Anyone experienced different - one near me was told 12 months (large extra), another took .com team manager almost straight away .....
Experiences please.
beentheredoneit

Stockman

Do you think redundancy will be offered in 6 months? There is a vacancy instore just now I could move into but would rather hold out for redundancy if its on the table. All I keep getting told is its an annual review, so soft structure change and not a formal process.

lucgeo

It's the £30,000 capped question  8-)

You need to go with your gut here, but there are a lot of stock control managers affected and little alternative roles available. I think it is a good idea having this thread, as all can exchange information given, or lack of in some cases!

All are being told different, or nothing at all. One manager (sorry username escapes me )has regularly posted to update the unwillingness of their senior area group personnel manager, to respond to questions posed, or reply to emails requesting clarification.

How many times were the CA's in the past years, informed in the group chat from the SM, prior to consultations starting, that there's "no redundancy!" Five times, in my store! Some panicked before consultations started, either leaving or taking less hours on another dept, to then find that those going into consultation, who wouldn't drop hours, or weren't job matched, were getting redundancy!

And now, Dave Lewis is bailing out, which tells you what apart from he waited for his payout :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

In the loop 1.

Food stock here. Not been told anything. In an extra. Heard its a soft change but only in affected stores. I'd be quite happy taking the money rather than the new role !

Me2015

I'm going to ride it out till the 6 month timeframe is up.  I don't want to do any other role bar the one I currently do, and they can't force me out of my contract, so will carry on as I do, helping my team deliver a good job despite the huge negative influences of the replenishment teams due to lack of resources!

Wirey2020

Quote from: Me2015 on 02-10-19, 12:44PM
I'm going to ride it out till the 6 month timeframe is up.  I don't want to do any other role bar the one I currently do, and they can't force me out of my contract, so will carry on as I do, helping my team deliver a good job despite the huge negative influences of the replenishment teams due to lack of resources!
They are trying to strongly push me out of role into another, obviously resisting and seeking unions help...legal help if it gets to that point!!

DJL

Om12nv, you can't be forced or pushed to do anything you don't want; remember this is an informal process at this stage, so the tone and behaviour of your senior managers must be raised as a concern.

FS Managers are given the opportunity to apply for any role they see within the area they live, regular conversations to be had and an agreement made, if acceptable within 2-3 months.  Failing that this can be extended to 6 months where a decision will surely be made by corporate, on the longevity of this role.

Don't be pushed over, raise your concerns.  They legally must offer alternative employment however if you take into account the legal perspective, the alternative must be 'suitable' as what is suitable for me might not be for you, and vice versa!  Stick  to your guns

DJS1949

Why can't the company just offer voluntary redundancy across the whole workforce. Those that want to stay can those that don't can go.

T.C.1

Probably because Tesco know if it was voluntary redundancy they would never staff a shop on top of the vacancy's they have now.

genome

Simply they can't afford to pay out that much.

Srgd2170

I keep asking my lead people partner how many stock managers are being kept in the company and what criteria is being used to establish who stays and who goes in the role. She didn't reply to start off, then I kept emailing until I got a reply off her. She answered my questions like a politician and gave no answers. So I've asked again and will keep on and on and on........

londoner83

Think a lot of food stock managers have long lengths of service and thus experience. Think the worry is if they offered voluntary redundancies too many would leave and the business would end up in the same situation it did with merchandising ie too many quit leaving a mass of vacancies and lots of training needed by people remaining to up-skill themselves

Me2015

Quote from: Srgd2170 on 03-10-19, 02:28PM
I keep asking my lead people partner how many stock managers are being kept in the company and what criteria is being used to establish who stays and who goes in the role. She didn't reply to start off, then I kept emailing until I got a reply off her. She answered my questions like a politician and gave no answers. So I've asked again and will keep on and on and on........

Email Emma.Taylor@tesco.com

She UK People Partner, she 'may' offer something more than political BS!

Wirey2020

Last week I pushed back and said I am happy with my position and not looking to change...this week half year reviews are back and I am a miss on my "behaviour" 🤔

forrestgimp

Lol, That is so trasparent as to be not there. Any tribunal would see that for what it is.

DJL

Quote from: Om12nv on 08-10-19, 05:41PM
Last week I pushed back and said I am happy with my position and not looking to change...this week half year reviews are back and I am a miss on my "behaviour" 🤔
That's BS by the way! Unless you have not been doing your role to the expected standard, and if that were the case you should have been spoken to before your review, then you have to put in a discrimination grievance against your line manager!

The review is not the place to tell you about any issues, what is spoken about should not be new to you, therefore any 'miss' would be overturned and set to standard score!

madness

Quote from: Srgd2170 on 03-10-19, 02:28PM
unofficially our store once found out that a headcount of 10 or more GAs meant a manager stayed I think it was the first time round of nights to days when the non food stock control manager role went as they only had  6-8 staff at the time.

NightAndDay

I'm quite interested to know how they measure the behavior criterion, as to the layman it sounds like office politics holds sway in who gets promoted and how people get rated on performance (we all know it does, but having an implied political measure such as "behaviour" confirms and legitimises that it's who you are, not how you do that gets you promoted, which is not a good thing").

madness

Certain roles are easy to get promoted from. Or do certsin things for the store ie lots of community nonsense charity work on store time of course. The service manager role that has mainly gone was an easy route up to the next easiest role of personel manager. I've seen pms progress through the company without ever having had a filling manager role.

Redshoes

Quote from: NightAndDay on 08-10-19, 08:49PM
I'm quite interested to know how they measure the behavior criterion, as to the layman it sounds like office politics holds sway in who gets promoted and how people get rated on performance (we all know it does, but having an implied political measure such as "behaviour" confirms and legitimises that it's who you are, not how you do that gets you promoted, which is not a good thing").

Generally it would be behind the scenes against shop floor. It's ok to complain and challenge in an office but not to bring it to shop floor and involve others, bring down the team. It's hard when it's personal to you and I speak from experience as I have been through this myself, twice. The compliance role was left hanging a very long time. They knew the role was vulnerable and had to live with it. I don't honestly know what is better as its hard to live with this hanging over you but if you have warning you can do things to help live mortgage insurance and look at moving into other roles. You can make life choices like not buying that new car but on the other hand you have to live with knowing your job may not be safe. On the other side of things a structure change with no warning does not have this hanging over you.
I think the questions to ask are ones that can be answered. Until a full structure change comes a lot of the questions can't be answered. If store managers and people partners do know exact figures of roles being removed in time they will be told not to give out information and until it comes it will only be at best a guide.
I think the questions to be asked are about vacancies now or upcoming in your area.
-details of vacancies now and upcoming
-are you going to be invited to apply for vacancies
-what happens if you opt not to apply, does this mean that you have chosen to make yourself vulnerable and will it be held against you
-expected time scales
-will any vacancies be restricted to vulnerable roles and if so when
The list goes on

NightAndDay

It's also important to ask how these performance measures are measured, if there is no structure or measurable elements that constitutes a rating, it could serve Tesco managers as a backdoor to illegitimately start the SYP process against said managers as a way to save the company money by "managing them out of the business", it also could raise further questions on what oversite or governance is in place to make sure that the SYP process is used legitimately.

When a company has strong corporate governance measures in place, litigation is managed better as a result.

lucgeo

A miss on behaviour, is so random, that it can't surely be recognised as such. Behaviour, is an ongoing assessment, needing to be highlighted and met throughout the assessment period. I would certainly challenge that, as should for any future reason, your criteria plays a part, this could be deemed a negative.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Wirey2020

It's all about being part of "that clique"...I'm not...."career laughs" are rife in this place.

BarryZola

On the face of it, this seems quite simple. The Food Stock control job is not going to be there in 6 months or whatever it is in your store. The job will be gone. You can't carry on doing it. With that said, don't you just have 2 options really?

Apply for other managerial jobs if you see any roles advertised that seem acceptable to yourself in the next 6 months if your wish is to stay with the company in a managerial role.

Or:

Don't apply for any other jobs within the 6 month period as you feel they're not suitable and then your job is axed at the end of the 6 months. At this point they surely have no other option but to make you redundant and pay you off as your job no longer exists. Obviously if you're reasonably long service and would welcome an early retirement or a fresh start elsewhere than this would seem like a good option. Really, what else can the company actually do, legally?

Obviously this is a very important time and it would probably be advisable to take some kind of legal advice if you're looking to ride out the 6 months and see what happens. My guess is they'll get as many food stockies into other roles voluntarily and then when it comes towards the end of the 6 month period they'll offer the remaining people who have dug their heels in redundancy.

coffeemate

There will be no offer of redundancy. If after 6 months you have not accepted another role you have been offered you will be dismissed from the company.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk