News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 02:07PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 288
Total: 291

Equal Pay/Leigh Day /Tom Hewitt/

Started by OpShunned, 22-03-17, 05:49PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Welsh-Hugh

Another issue with DCs that's different from stores. Correct me if im wrong but don't stores have same pay rates throughout the country? DCs pay are vastly different in every DC. No two DC's are the same on pay. Then each DC differs internally. New contracts versus old contracts etc etc. Whilst store staff moan about DC pay you have to think about the difference in store work and DC work. First off store staff stack shelves . Yes you may have so much to do in an allocated time. DC staff have pick rates. Loading rates. All monitored by arm mounted computers when staff are monitored 24-7. There there's the temperature working in a fridge every day in chilled. Massive temp changes throughout the year in ambient DCs. The working conditions are totally different. If store staff complain about DC wages so much they can always internal transfer from  store to DC. The DC I work in actively encourage staff to transfer to DC. It's easy to bash other parts of the company . Feel free to transfer to a DC and see how long you last. Then you will understand why they get paid more.

Equalizer87

I think the moaning from store staff over DC pay on the lines that the DC's can at least have a say in their pay. The stores have absolutely none and are simply sold out by the union.

I'm sure most people would prefer some say rather than no say at all.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

OvaSees

That's probably part of the cause of all of this pay disparity, but if that's the case people should be complaining to USDAW about how useless they are and how poorly they represent and protect their members interests compared to the unions in DCs - the differences in pay will in no small part be down to what each respective union has negotiated on behalf of its members over the years.

Equalizer87

I don't think complaining  would make any difference, USDAW are Tesco's "recognised" union for a reason, because they will ignore their members.

Even if the were no USDAW  members in Tesco, it would still be the case.

The DC's right to be consulted on pay is a valuable  defence against the rampant wage/benefits erosion which Tesco are pursuing.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

trigger

Stores gave there vote up on pay years ago through apathy.
BRING ON THE WELSH HA HA HA.GRAND SLAM 2008.
VOTE UKIP.

alf

If I recall correctly (from a poster on here) the partnership came in to being around 1998.

20 odd years ago almost, I wonder what percentage of current staff were around at that time, I'd wager the majority weren't.
Consider this, Tesco employ a lot of teenagers, the partnership potentially pre-dates their birth by roughly 3 years.

So apathy may be accurate, but was the apathy due to current staff, or past staff?

Hammer10

This is why there should be a reballot to see if employees want to take back control .

Twinkeltoes1

Before 98 I think,  joined in 93 and as far as I can recall it was already in being.

Employee101

Quote from: Nomad on 02-09-17, 03:33PM
Is it not the case that jobs of equal worth should attract equal pay, it is then up to all persons to decide if the job is desirable & suitable for them and the companies to then decide if those persons are able to perform their duties safely and efficiently.

Who decides what jobs, if any, are of 'equal worth'? Unless someone can work out the exact monetary value of a worker's output, and added value to a company's profits,  I do not see how it can be measured. A van driver, a warehouse operative, a shop floor team leader - all worthy jobs - but how is their output measured? I've had this argument with fellow employees at previous companies (not retail). All of them believed that their roles were as important/stressful/demanding as anyone elses, even though it was easily demonstrated that they were not.

It's a dangerous road to go down if the staff are allowed to choose what their job is worth and not the employer.

BarryZola

I have to be honest, today is the first I've heard about the Asda/Sainsbury's claims and my first thought was...'Females only'? 'Do male workers in store not exist'? To add to that, in all honesty I don't really think they should have a case at all. Distribution is a different job in a completely different location. What next, 'We deserve the same pay as those at head office'?

Anyway, what I really wanted to say is:

Whether I agree with the rights or wrongs of the case, if the women end up being successful, then surely their male counterparts success should be a formality. If that ends up being the case, then surely us at Tesco have a case to cite and we can all bring the same legal action? I've never lived my life on credit so I've missed out on all of the PPI payouts and stuff that loads of people seem to have been paid out on, so I would be 100% behind this and claiming for it given any sign of a green light. If this is my ship coming in (as an employee of easily over 10 years), I'll be building a massive lighthouse to show it the way home :)

To the guys keeping this in the limelight, don't be fooled by the seeming lack of support. There will be thousands ready and waiting to jump on board given a sniff of a case for us. I'm sure we're all just watching what is going on with beady eyes.

OpShunned

Thumbs up there Bazz  :D

It is awkward, difficult hard to quantify, qualify and whatever 'ify' you want to throw on the anvil but it's worth a shout.

If you throw a cage of groceries around a warehouse/shopfloor, put things on and take things off a shelf in a warehouse/shopfloor someone is going to ask for the tasks to be held up to a light for comparison.

One facet of the argument is where will the money come from to facilitate the pay increase. I ask, why is Drastic and his fellow robber baron hell bent on looking after shareholder share dividends at the expense of the boots on the ground. Do you ever hear them contemplating labelling colleagues as 'Partners' as other companies do? Should he not invest in his staff first?

The 'lack of support' as you call it is mainly coming from distribution colleagues who are yet to feel the full brunt of the cabal's long term aims. They care not for their colleagues  in store so it remains to be seen whether they attempt to garner pity when Drastic chops them off at the ankles when he brings Booker's distribution network on board.

When Dave Lewis and Alun Stewart walk off into the sunset with all our cash, will there be any regret that colleagues on the ground failed to get as much out of these bar stewards as they possibly could?

Is it 'nice/decent' of shop floor workers female/male/martian to accept their lot now or should they get as much as they can before the whole thing crumbles anyway?

BarryZola

My philosophy is : 'Get out of them what you can whilst you can'. If it wasn't for the fact that I'd been working for them for so long and hoping to get the redundancy boot one day, I'd be on my way by now probably. I'll stick around for the payout next year for cutting the Sunday premium though, then drop my Sunday shift somehow shortly afterwards. If these cases mentioned above are successful, there may be a chance of another few quid. Just gotta ride it out and put in a good honest shift in the mean-time. If I saw Tesco as a good honest employer where hard work was rewarded appropriately, I probably wouldn't think like this. However..........

alf

Quote from: OpShunned on 04-09-17, 07:02PM
The 'lack of support' as you call it is mainly coming from distribution colleagues who are yet to feel the full brunt of the cabal's long term aims.

You are woefully ignorant.

Ignoring the recent distribution centre closures, the 1000 odd redundancies, the ongoing management restructure, yeah apart from that, distribution has been totally untouched.

OpShunned

You have ignored the words 'full' and 'brunt'

Distribution, or at least the Tesco side of it will be decimated. Yes, only time will tell but I may remind you of it later  :( :(

Tesco Distribution will bear absolutely no appearance of that which currently prevails.

alf

It may get worse in the future, so lets f*** them over now/sooner.

Your logic is outstanding.

OpShunned

Thank you. It sounds as if you are content to sit on the Titanic sun longer deck while the Robber barons manouvre the ice-berg into your path.

Yes it sounds selfish, but we need to grab it while we can otherwise the vast majority will end up on minimum wage working for an outfit which bears little resemblance to that which they work for now.

This cabal is evil!

Duracell

Foolish propaganda is all that this thread has become, I suspect someone is overly bitter, the clue being in the profile name.

Yeah encourage a claim whilst prophesying ultimate doom, whilst not realising or delusionally dismissive of the fact that the ultimate cost of the claim will excelerate the impending doom, which then realistically turns any windfall gain into a compounding loss.

Brilliant strategy NOT.

And before someone calls me jack and says I'm alright, I have records and instances where Distribution have been butt f***ed with a red hot poker that spans 20 years.. where we received  little if any sympathy or support from retail.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

alf

Just for clarity I am store staff, not distribution.

Distribution may suffer with bookers merger (assuming it happens), but I'd rather not give Tesco more reason to make cuts to all areas, which is all this court case will achieve. There is not a chance in hell we (stores) will get what distribution get in terms of pay and premiums, it's utter fantasy.

OpShunned

Given Alf the rest of the night off have you Duracell ?wink wink

I'mAllrightjackism will always pervade a workforce so don't feel all that bad will you.

The red hot poker is back under the bellows and will be shoved even further up your Maypole soon enough. But good luck eh

OpShunned

Quote from: alf on 04-09-17, 09:28PM

Distribution may suffer with bookers merger (assuming it happens), but I'd rather not give Tesco more reason to make cuts to all areas, which is all this court case will achieve. There is not a chance in hell we (stores) will get what distribution get in terms of pay and premiums, it's utter fantasy.

If you had worked in the coalmines, and you had that attitude about your colleagues not getting more out of their boss, you would have been taking your breaks with a f****ng steaming t*rd in your lunch box.

Pathetic!

Incidentally, it will be down to a judge to determine the outcome and not a company man like you lol

[admin]Please do not circumvent the profanity filter, nor 'flame' other members. Nomad[/admin]

BarryZola

Quote from: Duracell on 04-09-17, 09:19PM
Foolish propaganda is all that this thread has become, I suspect someone is overly bitter, the clue being in the profile name.

Yeah encourage a claim whilst prophesying ultimate doom, whilst not realising or delusionally dismissive of the fact that the ultimate cost of the claim will excelerate the impending doom, which then realistically turns any windfall gain into a compounding loss.

Brilliant strategy NOT.

And before someone calls me jack and says I'm alright, I have records and instances where Distribution have been butt f***ed with a red hot poker that spans 20 years.. where we received  little if any sympathy or support from retail.

You can't blame people for thinking that even without a little windfall, their lot from Tesco will always be near to the minimum. Why wouldn't anyone in that situation look for a good pay-off even once, if it was worth it just for a while? A decent employer would make sure that their employees didn't have to go to lawyers to get a bit of extra money to make it worth their while to actually work to be able to live a decent life.

It's fantasy to me that female in-store workers could get the same wage (and back-pay) as distribution workers just because they brought a legal action....

But god damn, if they can get that, I'm going to get my bit too. If non-deserved free extra money is going around, I'm going to be at the front of the queue. It's not as if this is a great company where everyone looks out for each other etc. Just get yours whilst you can.

Duracell

I have survived over 2 decades with the company. I have seen more than short sighted minds can possibly imagine.

Why would I feel bad? I have had many forms of restructure and am faced with more to come, long before any claim is dismissed. Delusional epiphanies will be set aside, being awarded the right to compare or scrutinise does not prove the equal value.

I am open minded to logic and reasoning, entertain me and explain how or by what method the equal value will be proven.

BarryZola.. only leavers stand any chance of benefit with that stance, if you are leaving good luck to you, if not.. your setting yourself up to fail.

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Duracell

Quote from: OpShunned on 04-09-17, 09:31PM

If you had worked in the coalmines, and you had that attitude about your colleagues not getting more out of their boss, you would have been taking your breaks with a f ucking steaming t*rd in your lunch box.

Pathetic!

Incidentally, it will be down to a judge to determine the outcome and not a company ar se wipe like you lol

Lol says the profile with arse in the title.

Even more pathetic when trying to be abusive. Ah well I guess sheep really aren't thinkers after all.

Please feel free to understand and explain what you're preaching, show the equal value, not decide, just at least reason the equal value !

Duracell.

OpShunned

Goodnight Battery boy. Love you  :-* :-* :-*..I've emailed Leigh day and been in touch with Tom Hewitt (Employment Law Solicitor)

[my email]

Hi there,

I've been closely following the recent claims made by workers at both Asda and Sainsburys regarding comparative roles between their stores and distribution centres. I am led to believe that Asda (female) claimants have been given the green light to proceed with their claim. Naturally, and, as has been pointed out there must be a case for male counterparts to pursue the same direction.

We' at T**** may be in the the same situation we believe, given the nature of duties at our stores compared to those at our distribution centres. Some colleagues might be reluctant to pursue a claim preferring to wait until the Asda judgement is settled (although this could take a while from what I can gather)  although it has been explained that no victimisation can take place as a result of any claim made regarding Equal pay. The other thing is is that Leigh day are not going to approach 'us' to make a claim so it is down to 'us' to approach yourselves.

Can you provide me with some general advice on how to start the ball rolling please?

Is it ok to forward your number on to colleagues who work in store?

Many thanks
---------------------------

[Reply]

Yes, of course – if that is preferable.

Hi,

My number is 020 7650 1182 if you are available to have a short discussion with me?

Kind regards,

Tom

Tom Hewitt, Solicitor, Employment
Leigh Day Priory House, 25 St John's Lane, London EC1M 4LB
Tel: 020 7650 1200 Fax: 020 7253 4433 DX 53326 Clerkenwell
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The guy said it's ok for any store colleague to give him a call on 020 7650 1182.

Feel free to call him if you want to make a tentative enquiry.

Good luck to all if something comes of it! If not, at least an attempt was made!

alf

Quote from: OpShunned on 04-09-17, 09:31PM

If you had worked in the coalmines, and you had that attitude about your colleagues not getting more out of their boss, you would have been taking your breaks with a f****ng steaming t*rd in your lunch box.

Pathetic!

Incidentally, it will be down to a judge to determine the outcome and not a company man like you lol

Jeez someone's getting a bit worked up.

This isn't difficult to understand, I'm perfectly happy to get more money or whatever, but not at the expense of others and/or my own work life. It's delusional to believe there won't be consequences, both sides will be shafted in order to meet in the middle.

Quote from: BarryZola on 04-09-17, 09:39PM
But god damn, if they can get that, I'm going to get my bit too. If non-deserved free extra money is going around, I'm going to be at the front of the queue. It's not as if this is a great company where everyone looks out for each other etc. Just get yours whilst you can.

I agree the court case is laughable, but it's not for any of us to decide.

But I'm looking at it from a practical standpoint, free money doesn't exist.
Tesco is the company who reduced Sundays premiums and night premiums to fund a pay rise. It stands to reason they will do the same, plus any other cost savings if they are to achieve having stores and distribution on the same pay and conditions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk