News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 02:13PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 268
Total: 270

Help And Support From Tesco?

Started by Tombstone64, 14-11-15, 01:36PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombstone64

I am a new member, I worked for tesco for over 8 years. Are there any former tesco employees who have left due to injury or like me been retired on health grounds that did not receive any alternative employment options within tesco and did not receive any help or support from tesco. Tesco state they are a positive about disabled people employer and they are committed to make every effort when colleagues become disabled to make sure they stay in employment. I am now classed as being disabled as my injury is progressive and will get worse over time. I would really like to hear whether I am the only person that received no help at all from tesco or are there more ex colleagues out there.

Mutti

Hi,
You have my sympathy as I believe this is exactly what is going to happen to me.
I can't go back to my old job, but they won't consider me for an alternative role, even though they're advertising those jobs on the website, unless it's on the basis of it being part of a 'supported return to work'.
I'm reluctant to be more specific on an open forum.
I'm an USDAW member, but whilst I'm getting a lot of sympathy from my reps, I'm not getting much practical help.

lucgeo

Tombstone64

Where you injured in work?

Sad to say but as your progressive illness has forced you to retire on medical health grounds it would suggest that any employer would be hard put/reluctant to find you a position if it would need re adjustments as your illnes worsened :( :(

I am not saying for a second that is acceptable, but if the Tesco you worked for didn't offer you alternative positions, then they obviously sought advice from above and therefore acted secure in their facts?

Did you seek advice from your reps, USDAW or ACAS.

Mutti

Unsure as to why you are reluctant to try an alternative role on a supported return to work :question:

If you feel that your USDAW reps are only paying you lip service, then you have the right to contact your area office or ACAS.

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Nomad

The decision to award a full ill health retirement pension is, or was, unfortunately at the discretion of the pension trustee's.  A large part of the deciding factor is 'are you able to carry out any sort of employment', also to stand any chance the following must be in place.

(1) employer unable to offer a realistic long term alternative position.
(2) GP must be supportive in the assertion that you are unemployable (in writing).
(3) Ditto DSS

It is a long battle but it can and has been achieved.

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Tombstone64

Lucgeo ,yes my injury was sustained whilst working for tesco, but according to dwp although my injury as been diagnosed as progressive and I now have a label classing me has disabled tesco should have helped me to find alternative employment within tesco, dwp also state I can return to paid employment ( after having a medical ) because I have 2 eyes 2 hands and 2 legs I can work.

Redshoes

Quote from: Tombstone64 on 14-11-15, 01:36PM
I am a new member, I worked for tesco for over 8 years. Are there any former tesco employees who have left due to injury or like me been retired on health grounds that did not receive any alternative employment options within tesco and did not receive any help or support from tesco. Tesco state they are a positive about disabled people employer and they are committed to make every effort when colleagues become disabled to make sure they stay in employment. I am now classed as being disabled as my injury is progressive and will get worse over time. I would really like to hear whether I am the only person that received no help at all from tesco or are there more ex colleagues out there.

There is not a simple answer. I know of several people who have moved job and have been given work classed as light duties. Most people end up in jobs like checkouts, desks and PFS. There is a duty to look at finding a place but there is also a duty to those already in those jobs. Also the culture has changed. There was a time when anyone who could not lift or do heavy work ended up on the desks but they are now only wanting people who have been singled out for giving great service. It's a fine balancing act and may depend on how big your store is, how many people are already in jobs due to health that they can't move etc. If it's for a period of time they can do more but if it ongoing they can help if they are able to but they are not forced to create a job that would not exist just for you. If you are fit to do checkouts your chances are greater as they have the biggest dept but if not fit to do checkouts your chances are harder.
The injury at work is a separate matter. If not your fault that is something that is settled outside of store. It may take w while but if company at fault you will get compensation but again this does not guarantee a job. It depends on the adjustments needed and the set up in store but it may give you a bigger settlement if a job can't be found for you but there is a whole legal team that deal with this sort of thing. It's not quick but you can ask for funds to help out prior to settlement if needed.

lucgeo

Tombstone64

Did Tesco accept liability for your accident, did you receive compensation?

Were you a union member whilst working? If so then you should be contacting them for legal advice and assistance on this?

Were there departments in your store that you feel you could have worked in, and if so did you suggest these? Were there examples in your store of other people with less or similar disability to yourself being accommodated in another department??

Apologies if you've already exhausted every avenue of the above.

Duracell

Hi Tombstone64, sorry to hear of your situation.

Quote from: Tombstone64 on 19-11-15, 10:18AM
Lucgeo ,yes my injury was sustained whilst working for tesco, but according to dwp although my injury as been diagnosed as progressive and I now have a label classing me has disabled tesco should have helped me to find alternative employment within tesco, dwp also state I can return to paid employment ( after having a medical ) because I have 2 eyes 2 hands and 2 legs I can work.

Did this classification happen whilst you were still employed by the company? If it was your circumstance may fall under the equality act where reasonable adjustments should be made where possible for those disabled once the disability is known to the company.

If not then your injury at work if not totally your fault could result in a claim which should encompass the consequence of the injury IE inability to work either fully or partially, reduced income and affect of injury on quality of life. Any claim that could be made, should it be successful will incure a full and final settlement for the claim which could not be revisited.

From what you have said (I understand needs to be limited in this forum) I would strongly suggest you seek professional legal advice.
Only you will be aware of the option and process that suites your circumstance financially.

A good start Would be CAB as at the point of inquiry and discussion of more detail to gauge the strength of case you have the consultation and discussions of your options is free.

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Gillwill1

Can anyone help, I recently returned to work on support plan doing 4 nights instead of 5 so should have been deducted 24 hrs as unpaid however was deducted 29 hrs as told it is spread over 5 nights and I only work 7:1/4 hrs per day anybody else heard of this please.

[gmod]Your question has been moved to this more suitable topic.[/gmod]

tumshie

Gillwill1, you should be paid for the hours you are actually clocked in for, minus breaks. Not some notional amount tesco has dreamed up.

lucgeo

Gillwill1

You need to raise this issue with your rep as to what kind of support plan you are on?
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but....I was of the understanding that if you are returning to work on reduced hours due to sickness support, you should get your full pay for an agreed amount of time ???
It is illegal to deduct pay from you, as already said, you get the hours you clock for...so how are they deducting 5 hours off you and from where ???

Welshlass

I recently had my first review in 3 years as a shift leader which I failed, even though I've been training my fellow shift leaders. Was told to "step up or step down ". I decided to step down, told my manager who said I had 4 weeks and if no hours became available I would have to resign. Anyone know if this is actual policy? I told my manager I felt suicidal and needed support and got no reply.

NightAndDay

They're not following policy by asking you to "step up or step down" the manager has to be seen as supporting your performance through the SYP process.

By the sounds of it there's a serious lack of training on the managers part, especially the way he's reacted to the suicidal feelings. I would put a grievance in against this manager for dignity at work and not following policy.

Rad

Quote from: lucgeo on 21-06-18, 03:16PM
Gillwill1

You need to raise this issue with your rep as to what kind of support plan you are on?
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but....I was of the understanding that if you are returning to work on reduced hours due to sickness support, you should get your full pay for an agreed amount of time ???
It is illegal to deduct pay from you, as already said, you get the hours you clock for...so how are they deducting 5 hours off you and from where ???

You have the choice of holidays or unpaid.   Usually as its a return on reduced hours its not feasible for the colleague to work the hours back at a later date. 

chris9997

when hours are reduced for support plan i was under the impression that the unworked ours were classed as sick?

lackofinterest

not sure what they class it as but definitely not sick!!!

Redshoes

Shortfall hours can be put through as sick, holiday or unpaid. Generally it's holiday. If someone has been off for a while they will have run out of sick pay but they will have a bunch of unused holidays. This should be agreed at the time of arranging the return to work plan.

Cinderella

I'm not in the exact same situation as you, as I am still employed by the company. But they have ignored my medical needs regularly. I disclosed my condition and limitations at my job interview, so I went in with honesty from the start. Over the last year (I've been employed there a few years now), they've suddenly started ignoring my condition - telling me to do shifts I can't do especially, knowing it will make me unwell. Then moaning at me when I try, and I do get unwell! It all built up and lead to me being off sick, and now I'm being investigated for it. They've started demanding evidence, which I haven't been asked for before. I get a medical letter, then a few months later I'm being told to do the task again, and told to get more medical evidence. They make me feel like a criminal. I feel humiliated with the amount of times I have to keep saying I can't do a specific task, and explaining why over and over again. Perhaps I should just record myself and play it every time. I feel not only unsupported, but neglected and mistreated. I do so much more, to make up for the couple of things I cannot do, but it counts for nothing.

NightAndDay

If it's from the same manager, you will be able to grievance, Tesco has a legal obligation to keep in your personnel file details of any disabilities and medical conditions. They have a duty of care towards you and can't make you do tasks that would either exacerbate your condition or tasks which you are incapable of doing because of said condition.

Routine harassment and victimisation should be grievanced so it will leave a paper trail if they deal with it inadequately and you decide to take them to a tribunal for disability discrimination.

forrestgimp

Quote from: Cinderella on 04-06-21, 02:40PM
I'm not in the exact same situation as you, as I am still employed by the company. But they have ignored my medical needs regularly. I disclosed my condition and limitations at my job interview, so I went in with honesty from the start. Over the last year (I've been employed there a few years now), they've suddenly started ignoring my condition - telling me to do shifts I can't do especially, knowing it will make me unwell. Then moaning at me when I try, and I do get unwell! It all built up and lead to me being off sick, and now I'm being investigated for it. They've started demanding evidence, which I haven't been asked for before. I get a medical letter, then a few months later I'm being told to do the task again, and told to get more medical evidence. They make me feel like a criminal. I feel humiliated with the amount of times I have to keep saying I can't do a specific task, and explaining why over and over again. Perhaps I should just record myself and play it every time. I feel not only unsupported, but neglected and mistreated. I do so much more, to make up for the couple of things I cannot do, but it counts for nothing.

https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work 

Go through this, read it all then phone them up and ask for a workplace assessment. Its the first step towards getting what you need and will also let your managers know they are liable for their own actions.

It takes a week or 3 to get the assessment but Tesco and more importantly your store and its managers are not allowed to say no and on fact have no say.

Cinderella

I'm still being unsupported. I have returned to work after an accident that I was very lucky wasn't a lot more serious. I was put on a support plan, but so far none of the plan has been followed on their end. When I ask for the plan to be followed I'm told I seem okay (the words actually used were really offensive, but identifying so I can't use them). I didn't know a medical degree was a requirement for working at Tesco, and if this person really can assess people without the scans and x rays the doctor used, then they need to go join the NHS and save them billions in testing people!

I've never felt more depressed than I have since joining such an unsupportive company.

NightAndDay

I would grievance the manager in question on grounds of dignity at work and not following the plan, make sure you've documented cases of where they've failed to stick to the plan before you raise the grievance.

I would also, involve ACAS, depending on the result of the grievance, you may have a case for constructive dismissal and disability discrimination.

Welshie

If it's an ongoing illness you can ask for OH and can also request a support passport, that's not the proper name sorry . I do think you need to provide evidence and medical reports but then once it's in place you are allowed a larger absence percentage and it is on your records so you can refer managers to it .  Unfortunately you cannot expect full support indefinitely without showing evidence

lackofinterest

the problem with support often comes down to certain mm having no people skills!!

Welshie

True but the reality is some staff RIP the s*** out of things like return to work  support . While others that have genuine illnesses suffer . The adjustment passport is meant to stop the pusstakers but it does mean that genuine staff have to show proof .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk