News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

27-04-24, 08:04AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,423
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 553
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 531
Total: 533

Health & Safety

Started by TONKA, 11-06-07, 05:06AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loki

Do me a favour poppy1.

Give this message from Loki:

Not everything is contained within the Partnership Agreement. There are policies that have been negotiated, consulted and implemented as part of the Agreement.

One of these items are Capping shelves.

In 2010, ALL stores were communicated to regarding the rules surrounding Capping Shelves. Details of which can be found in the copy of the Tesco Policy regarding Capping Shelves dated October 2010. It is a 44 page document of which mentions that staff must be trained in how to use capping shelves and airport ladders.

If you are a Health and Safety Rep, you should know this and also should have the common sense to look at relevant documentation.

Labels on the capping shelves with height, weight instructions should be enough to give you a damn clue.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

poppy1

thank you loki ill pass that on getting really pi**ed off with this sad excuse for a union rep as are alot of others.

Loki

Where do they dig them up from?

Or will I be accused of being harsh again?

loser38

Quote from: Loki on 07-03-14, 12:46PM
At least you acknowledge me as a Rep. I've been accused by others of being a manager, Tory and some have even stated that I have another alias - happyreturns!

yes i do acknowledge you as a rep,and a damn good one at that,any advice I've had from you has been spot on when I've challenged managers with issues in the past,i just wish our instore reps were a bit more up to date with the partnership agreement,shame that paying my union fees all these years and i have to come here for advice....even the staff come to me rather than go to the union for advice...on a funnier note,the union even approached me and asked me to be a rep....and as for you being HR,well,that really did make me laugh out loud.....

and yes,poppy,as stated,you DO need to be trained on the airport ladders,only reason i know is because every single person on my shift was trained and signed off apart from me,think it might be something to do with the fact that the TL and i had a fall out,so he excluded me from a lot of things...no big deal really as i am happy to refuse to use them until i am trained and signed off.

wheelspin

Just out of curiosity .

What is one taught in the training for use of an airport ladder? 

terrybigballs

off the top of my head it includes
do not use ladders if the are damaged (check for damage before use)
get off ladders to move them
only move one case at a time / do not try to move stock if it is to heavy for you
going up / down one step at a time
do not over reach
make sure the brake is on before going up the ladders
you should be told the weight the ladders can hold

The capping shelf training includes
one case high (height restrictions)
one case back
maximum weight per shelf (look at 2 litre  pepsi ,it gives you the 8 pack weight)
no loose stock
day shift to work racking shelves for you during the day
no overhanging stock
yellow stickers stock control put on packaging faced out
all common sense stuff really

wheelspin

I am quite surprised it even needs training at all.     Has H&S gone a bit OTT to cover companies in a legal perspective ?   

If it was a scissor lift or a moving machine or tool, then of course it needs training.

But a step ladder, with meter high safety rails?   

What's next. Training to use the  kettle or the toaster in the canteen. 

Loki

Sounds like something a manager would say.

artimis

Training is required to make sure correct use of a piece of equipment to avoid as much as possible the risk of accidents.

Capping shelves - as a guide 1 ltr is 1kg.

And as Loki says not everything is in the Partnership agreement or the staff handbook, every rep is taught this in basic training.

Loki

These damn capping shelves are a pain in the arse and open to abuse. I much prefer the days when we didn't use them except for display purposes at peak times during the year.

Back stock cages and the warehouse. That's all that's needed.

loser38

Quote from: wheelspin on 13-03-14, 05:36AM
Just out of curiosity .

What is one taught in the training for use of an airport ladder? 

one would imagine as with any training,how to use them safely and avoid accidents.

Loki

Quote from: wheelspin on 13-03-14, 06:35AM
What's next. Training to use the  kettle or the toaster in the canteen. 

If one feels the need to ask such a question, then one may as well disband with Health and Safety in the workplace altogether.

wheelspin

Loki I do understand the need for training in H&S and have spent many weeks training on safe use of dangerous equipment and large scale   machinery.

I really do  think it is OTT to need to be officially trained to climb a staircase with safety rails.

Surly the staff have a small bit of cop on with regards the simplest of tools.   

The only reason safety training for such a devise  is given,  is to push liability onto the staff member with  a contributory negligence claim.   And leave the company in a better legal position to defend if some nutter leaps off the  top of it.

Loki

No training, no ladder.

Simple.

spike_pkh

Quote from: Loki on 13-03-14, 08:11AM
These damn capping shelves are a pain in the arse and open to abuse. I much prefer the days when we didn't use them except for display purposes at peak times during the year.

Back stock cages and the warehouse. That's all that's needed.

Alot of stores are going back to this on some sections (NonFood only at the moment i believe), and all i have seen so far from these stores is that the stock control is way out.

loser38

Quote from: wheelspin on 13-03-14, 01:06PM
I really do  think it is OTT to need to be officially trained to climb a staircase with safety rails.

Surly the staff have a small bit of cop on with regards the simplest of tools.   

The only reason safety training for such a devise  is given,  is to push liability onto the staff member with  a contributory negligence claim.   And leave the company in a better legal position to defend if some nutter leaps off the  top of it.   

i cant see too many people wanting to leap off the ladder,but i think you just hit the nail on the head...Tesco will be covered if and when the training is given,therefore,as stated,no training no using the ladders...simples!

poppy1

no training no ladders not in my store managers say nonsense u dont need training for ladders or capping shelves.   unoin rep said cant find it either he went back to union and was told they didnt no what he was talking about.  what do i do HEEEEEELLPP

wheelspin

Poppy.   

Do what your manager says and carry on. 

If some is unfortunate does manage to fall over a safety railing, then they will have less liability as training should have been given by Tesco.     

poppy1

thank you but iv already hurt my back lifting something heavy off capping shelves from a foot stool.  was off work nearly a month and having to be careful lifting now three months on.  apparently according to my manager it was my fault should hav e been using ladders and not lifting it if it was too heavy, but iv had no training on this.

eric79

There should be a poster on display in staff areas specifically around stock on capping shelves and using the appropriate equipment to reach them safely, whether it is a kick stool or the airport ladders. Your compliance manager should know about it it would have arrived in the orange mail folder a couple of weeks ago
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

poppy1

im just in from work was talking to my rep again about the training for capping shelves and airport ladders and he is adament  that this does not exist and in fact his exact words were you are all full of sh*t and your filling my head full of sh*t, he told me to tell u that  he said if this exists then someone would be able to tell me were he could go to print it out,  he said hes branch secretary and he would have heard.

Nomad

Quote from: Loki on 12-03-14, 11:27AM
Do me a favour poppy1.

Give this message from Loki:

Not everything is contained within the Partnership Agreement. There are policies that have been negotiated, consulted and implemented as part of the Agreement.

One of these items are Capping shelves.

In 2010, ALL stores were communicated to regarding the rules surrounding Capping Shelves. Details of which can be found in the copy of the Tesco Policy regarding Capping Shelves dated October 2010. It is a 44 page document of which mentions that staff must be trained in how to use capping shelves and airport ladders.

If you are a Health and Safety Rep, you should know this and also should have the common sense to look at relevant documentation.

Labels on the capping shelves with height, weight instructions should be enough to give you a damn clue.

Perhaps you can tell him where to look  8) or ask to see the above mentioned doc.

PS: take a toilet roll with you  ;D
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

eric79

It's a red poster entitled "working safely at heights" it should be on display in a staff area, in my store its by the clocking in machine.

There was also a "what good looks like" for capping shelves on workplan about October last year to relaunch the correct standards (not that these are followed).
Basically:
Stock one case high
No loose stock/open cases
Max height 50cm
Max weight 50kg

If I get chance I will take a picture of the poster and upload it later

poppy1

nomad iv told him all that and he still cant find it.   he is adament that it does not exist.  thank you eric79 there is not one of those posters at our store.

eric79

It's part of the "Safer place to work and shop" campaign Tesco run. Ask the information arrives via the Orange (internal?) Mail folder which the compliance manager is responsible for. I took a pic I'll try and upload it later

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk