News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

30-04-24, 03:10AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,434
  • Total Topics: 641
  • Online today: 302
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 290
Total: 290

New structure change.

Started by Vinny1985, 13-01-22, 03:08AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kieth_Lemon

These restructures don't just get planned overnight. some of these changes would have been months if not years in the planning.

I would think they have a goal that was probably set 5-6 years ago of what they wanted the structure of the company to look like and are just chopping bits off here and there to make it more palatable to colleagues. Other retailers have restructured but have any done it to the extent that Tesco have?

How anyone can have any kind of job security in Tesco now is beyond me.

with counters, bakery etc I would say that its not that the demand isn't there, its just the poor offering and setup that Tesco offer that's the problem. Morrisons as an example seems too flourish and their new Market kitchen offering shows this.

Tesco maybe the biggest player but its been a long time since they have been market leading

SAMCRO

A lot of stores lost their night fill years ago. Mine being one of them. It has always been the plan to roll this out across all stores it was just a matter of time. Staff in my store thought it wouldn't work, just like many here and many other colleagues think it won't work - truth is it does work. The sacrifice is the standards of the shelves, store always looks a mess. We have a twilight team to fill the bulk of the delivery, store closes at midnight. We then have a handful of colleagues in the morning to fill the remaining delivery/backstock. Merchandising is done early morning shift same as PI. We have evening PI for increases and then a 5am team for decreases etc

It does work, but your stores will never look as good as they did with a night team. 

whatajoke2019

A store down the road from me lost their night operation around five years ago and I completely agree, these days, it looks a mess.

The staff there clearly do the best they can but it's like fighting fire with fire. If the big T don't care, so long as they take even more £££s, why should we?

The big T have lost their way, and in my personal opinion, their identity. Far too many people at the top wanting us to operate like the discounters but with a workload of old, when we had more people on the shop floor etc.

takethemoneyandrun

Quote from: whatajoke2019 on 31-01-22, 06:30PM
Taken from Our Tesco:

Dear colleagues,

We operate in a highly competitive, fast-paced market that is changing rapidly. Over the last two years, as we've responded to the challenges of COVID-19, our business has changed faster than at any other point in our history. Our customers are shopping differently, and many of our colleagues are working differently too.

Last year we launched our new strategic priorities to ensure we can continue to serve our customers in the best way possible and are well-placed for the years ahead. This means we need to continuously look at how we can run our business as simply and efficiently as possible, so we can re-invest in the things that add most value for customers.

Today, we're announcing some changes focused on helping us do this.

Jack's stores
We will be closing seven of our 13 Jack's stores and changing the remaining six to Tesco large stores. Jack's was launched in 2018 to celebrate our centenary and founder, Jack Cohen, and to gain knowledge from running stores with a low-cost operating model.

We have learned a tremendous amount from Jack's and this has helped Tesco become more competitive, more efficient and strengthen the value we offer to customers – including the launch of Aldi Price Match, as well as our popular Fresh 5 fruit and veg discount proposition which we have since launched in businesses across the Group.

As a result, we have consistently attracted new customers to Tesco from our competitors over the last two years and their perception of the value they can find at Tesco has increased significantly. With the learnings from Jack's now fully absorbed into Tesco, the time is right to focus on driving value within our core business.

Thanks to its strong recognition with customers for great quality and value, the Jack's brand will live on, with Jack's-branded products available to independent convenience stores supplied by Booker.

Jack's colleagues working in the six stores that will change to Tesco stores will be automatically offered roles there. For the 130 remaining colleagues across the seven stores which will close and in head office, our priority is to try and find alternative roles at Tesco for all who want to stay with us and we will work individually with each affected colleague to support them during this period of change.

Tesco stores
Customer shopping behaviour has changed considerably over recent years which has led to a decrease in the number of customers using counters on a regular basis in some of our stores. This has made it necessary to review the relevance of each counter within our stores.

In 279 stores where we see local customer demand for meat, fish or hot deli counters, we will continue to offer these services. However, in 317 stores where we see the lowest demand, we will close these counters and repurpose the space to better reflect our customers' needs. There will be no redundancies related to these counter changes, as impacted colleagues will be offered alternative roles.

These are difficult decisions to make, but they are necessary to ensure we can continue to serve customers in the best possible way.

Many thanks,

Jason

I imagine a lot of stores are 'over hours' on their Heat Maps so would like to know how they can offer alternative roles  ???.

How can they say no redundancies,the jobs offered have to be like for like!!
I doubt working on the deli/meat counter is anything like pulling a cage and filling a shop floor..
Would like to know where these jobs are going to materialize from!!..they will try their best to not give redundancies,  do not cave in...😡😡😡.

NightAndDay

Seems there's been some added responsibilities to the shift leader role, one that stands out being "Shift Leaders to deal with shop lifters". Which is quite an interesting one because at most all a shift leader has the power to do is verbally bar someone from the premises, only the group security manager has the power to write out a written ban and that has to be with support from the police.

penguin

Shift leaders cant do much more than ask shoplifters to leave and call the police, we used to have a regular one in my express days, who would get out his phone and video the staff if approached, same line every time "you cant touch me at all and if you do I send this to the police and your sacked" he knew he could get away stealing £39 or less worth of goods as local police policy at the time was to not investigate shop theft under that amount, they just gave a crime number over the phone even when it was a repeat offender.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

BUY TESLA STOCK

NightAndDay

Quote from: penguin on 05-02-22, 05:18PM
Shift leaders cant do much more than ask shoplifters to leave and call the police, we used to have a regular one in my express days, who would get out his phone and video the staff if approached, same line every time "you cant touch me at all and if you do I send this to the police and your sacked" he knew he could get away stealing £39 or less worth of goods as local police policy at the time was to not investigate shop theft under that amount, they just gave a crime number over the phone even when it was a repeat offender.

I know, it's hilarious, the updated role packs are made by people in cloud cuckooland, some of the new responsibilities for the roles aren't possible given that they don't have the authority to perform them, they literally don't have the tools to do the job.

penguin

Yes and do you know the funniest bit of all nightandday, the shrink and security manager who for those unaware of express has about 50 stores to account for and you see him or her maybe once a month at best said to the store manager and I quote "You have issues with this guy because your not making a fuss of him, chat with him treat him as a pal and he wont steal from you anymore, great service always wins" and the prize for not living on this planet is hereby award to said shrink and security manager.

NightAndDay

They should make that mateyboy role disappear, I mean lets face it, apart from rarely enacting on their authority to write written bans and being a corporate simpleton, they're paid £80k a year to do fluff all. Would be a much more efficient use of money to strip the role out and add the authority, responsibilities and a fraction of the pay to Shift Leaders and Store Managers.

As for Shrink, there's already enough governance on it by the Store Manager and Shift Leaders, there would be no value having an extra layer of authority on something that's already managed to high heaven by 2+ layers of management.

takethemoneyandrun

What is mateyboy role??? :o :o

NightAndDay

A job that doesn't serve any real useful purpose, generally created on a whim of a director to get a friend into a cushty position where they get paid about 20x the salary someone claiming the dole gets, but has productivity expectations less than what is required for the hypothetical doley to get their dole money (the 10-15 minute process of signing on and travelling back and forth).

kaled78

are there any confirmed dates yet,as to when these changes to nights/fish/meat counters take effect?

fscer

Prince of Darkness

Our nights team finish at the end of April. Looking forward to the fun when the twilight replen starts. Can't see the late Duty manager being thrilled with a midnight finish ...

Vinny1985

Quote from: fscer on 06-02-22, 01:44PM
All done by May.

Is that this first lot of changes. Or will more stores lose nights and so on by may?

found it

The only thing affected on nights at my store is BWS.
This is going from night fill to day/twilight fill.
The staff are being moved to other departments on nights.

We on nights have been told, this will change over at the end of March.

The imaginary betting book is open as to how long it will take for nights to be asked to fill it because they can't cope with the 25% promo or they haven't been able to fill because the staff are sat on a checkout.

Counters are going and again staff will have to move to other departments.
Just waiting for the counters staff to say they can't keep their hours.

Remember your existing contracted hours have to be honored.
Red heads have more fun!!!!

Nightproduceworker

Quote from: Vinny1985 on 06-02-22, 05:03PM
Quote from: fscer on 06-02-22, 01:44PM
All done by May.

Is that this first lot of changes. Or will more stores lose nights and so on by may?

This is what I would like to know, reading the articles, it says Tesco are restructuring and are removing their night crew workshifts. Someone said on here it won't happen overnight, it's a process, be nice if Tesco actually come out and said something and staff told it will eventually happen.

Prince of Darkness

Typically these quite big changes happen around Feb/March - so if your store isn't affected now then you've probably got at least a year in your current structure.

Vinny1985

Quote from: Prince of Darkness on 06-02-22, 05:45PM
Typically these quite big changes happen around Feb/March - so if your store isn't affected now then you've probably got at least a year in your current structure.

Watch this space I guess then. We are getting a refit we have been told. I think tills will all be taken out. All self service  i feel.  Also our store going to be doing that one hour delivery.  Don't know where the space and time will be available for that.

Vinny1985

Also talking to drivers. They said they don't know how they will deliver everything if no night shifts anywhere,  As only so many wagons and time slots to get filled. Not enough trailers or wagons to do everything in the day. Interesting point.

Kieth_Lemon

They've started cutting down on deliveries in Express. I know of some stores that only get 2 Ambient a week now when they use to get 5.

Colleagues complaining that they can't move for the amount of stock after a drop.
Also add in the space needed for Woosh and Hermes etc. (if you haven't got it yet you soon will!)
Someone in head office must think expresses are like the Tardis.

I believe that for every delivery they can cut per week is a £10k saving per year per store also.

penguin

Been going on for ages cutting down the deliveries into express, started back in 2020 but got put on hold for a few months due to panic buying at the start of the pandemic, store I used to be in went from 5 ambient per week to 3, Frozen unchanged, fresh from 6 days a week to 4, this all happened last year.

GeneralDogsbody

Quote from: Prince of Darkness on 06-02-22, 03:51PM
Our nights team finish at the end of April. Looking forward to the fun when the twilight replen starts. Can't see the late Duty manager being thrilled with a midnight finish ...
All going to be on the shift leaders!

whatajoke2019

I think, if I've understood things correctly, those stores which have lost their night operations in last week's announcement are it-for now.

When this happened last time there was 'x' amount of stores/colleagues affected and that was seemingly it for the year.

In terms of BWS colleagues being sat on checkouts... the thing printed off (I assume from Comms Centre) I've seen explicitly states BWS colleagues are NOT to be used for c/out calls and remain on the dept. Yeah right   ;D ;D ;D!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk