News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

27-04-24, 05:59PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,427
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 534
Total: 539

Equal Pay/Leigh Day /Tom Hewitt/

Started by OpShunned, 22-03-17, 05:49PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lackofinterest

Quote from: Horrendous123 on 08-02-18, 05:10PM
it's absolutely f**king ridiculous. I don't like tesco and dislike the way they treat staff in general but that is not gender specific. so what's going to happen if these women win their claim and men are then underpaid doing the exact same job in the same store! there are loads of men who work on checkouts, so you are desclriminating against them by paying them less than the women. Yes, this may not be the premise for the original case but they will be opening up a massive can of worms which shouldn't need to be opened up with common ssense which this country seems to increasingly lack in situations like this

common sense ceased to exist in society a long time ago

flowerpower

It won't be just women who would get it everyone would

lackofinterest

Quote from: fargone on 08-02-18, 05:03PM
I bet that most of the heavy lifting in stores is done by men.
not most. ALL in my store!!

lackofinterest

Quote from: the rule book on 08-02-18, 05:16PM
The jobs are disproportionate and are not equally paid. Being  on the same rate for different roles is unfair when people are only allocated certain roles on a regular basis.

65 year old Doris should be rotated to do tills one week, backdoor next week, produce the week after, pi the week after that and a bit of time on merch.

Unfortunately multiskil is anything but.
how very true. as far as i know not one female has been trained on back door in my store, in all the years I've been there

flowerpower

I've never even thought about stores getting the same as dcs before x but thinking about why not who's more important the people in dcs or the staff at the other end who unload lorries drag cages to each dept warehouse then fill the shelves the checkout people who have to serve some vile people that come to store get abuse off them and have to sit and smile

flowerpower

We have a female who works back door all staff at night are called to take deliveries male and female

madness

Take a look at most of the checkout operators in the big tescos. Quite often it is the end of the line job for those that can't be trusted not to doss about on the shop floor or can't physically walk more than 20 meters without getting out of puff. Obviously there are exceptions but this is mostly true.

flowerpower

You are talking about fellow works yes some on checkouts are there for medical reasons I've worked on checkouts in the past it is stressful in it's own way would most people in dcs work on a checkout and smile and be nice to some of the nastiest people that come through those checkouts

flowerpower

As I say I work pi and we see a lot of what goes on in stores my other half works in a dc not stressco he tells me about what happens in dcs so I can see both sides . And I'm sure he won't mind if I had a nice big pay rise  ;D

tumshie

Quote from: blutopia on 08-02-18, 11:11AM
As you say, men and women are paid the same in their respective parts of the business, so it's not a simple issue of sex discrimination.  The argument is about whether work in stores is of equal value to work in DCs, but that ALONE is not an issue within the remit of a court.

Why not?
The Equal Pay Act says that work of equal worth should be paid equally. Who else is going to decide on whether that's being done or not, other than a court?

There's a lot of moaning here about men doing heavy lifting. Why not, if they have an ability (muscular strength)?
It doesn't mean that a man or a woman who has different abilities (eg people skills, or organisational ability) should be paid less, if all those things are needed by the company.

tumshie

65 year old Doris should be rotated to do tills one week, backdoor next week, produce the week after, pi the week after that and a bit of time on merch.

Why pick on 65-year old Doris? What about 25-year old Shane who likes to hide in corners fiddling with his phone?

for what it's worth, in our store some of the most diligent and effective workers are older ladies.

Carparkpothole

Most dc's  are desperate for new staff so why doesn't everyone who wants more pay transfer to one?.... simple!!!!!!!!!

OvaSees

^Hallelujah!

Quote from: BarryZolaBut they won't though will they? How many men do you know who want to be known as the guy who works as a checkout guy full-time?
That's precisely the point. What people do - and thus how much they end up getting paid - is down to choice. How many women do you know who want to be known as the gal who works as a coal miner? Not very many I'd guess, but I bet they'd want the money it brings. Same principle here, just different scales of of money - the claimants want DC rates of pay to stay sat right where they are on a till. It's the best case for accelerating the roll-out of more self scan tills that Tesco could ever hope for - and it will be cheaper.

the rule book

Quote from: tumshie on 08-02-18, 06:21PM

Why pick on 65-year old Doris? What about 25-year old Shane who likes to hide in corners fiddling with his phone?

for what it's worth, in our store some of the most diligent and effective workers are older ladies.

The point of the post is multi skill  workers are a nonsense to pay higher paying jobs less using the multi skill tag.

Back door checkers are responsible for and signing off all the goods coming through the back door.

The checkout staff are responsible for money and taking care of customers at a checkout. Both paid exactly the same as the trolly boy who's responsible for not scratching customers cars.

How is that equal pay? The responsibility levels are on massively different scales.

merch have almost no responsibility or time scales to work to yet paid the same.

Pi has responsibilities that are much higher in the form. Of legality of the shop.

This makes a complete nonsense of fare pay as most back door and checkout staff have to multi skill on the fly Doing filling jobs or collecting trolleys.

Doubling the responsibility for less pay.

Why has the union or staff not picked up on this as equal pay?

Carparkpothole

In Dc's staff are trained on 4/6 cage picking trucks, fail the test on induction and you haven't a job. There are 4/6 cage loading trucks to drive, reach truck and counterbalance trucks. How many stores have these?
I've only ever seen the pedestrian trucks in stores.

chris9997

you can not compare checkout as dont they get paid more than a ga anyway.

Tape measure

Identity politics. It was fashionable and has been for the past several years or so.  Though now is very much central to how large companies can operate. They have fully embraced it and how it can rejuvenate their image. Yes of course the law is involved and employers have to protect their staff by law which I fully understand but while this is happening, in the background there are people who are feeling the financial squeeze.  People are wanting better workplace conditions and better pay. They want equality in all areas.

Companies love to advertise how diverse they are but stop and stutter it appears when salaries are involved. It can be so divided. Equality appears to fade away when money is involved.

What I have learnt from this thread is that there are those who appear to know much about this case though its not really fully understood and the case is live.  There are those who appear to know the outcome already! Those who appear to want it to fail it appears! There are those who have what I've always referred to as, job snobbery. Don't knock a job! Plus a hint of old fashioned sexism dare I say thrown in too!

I hope a solution can be made.  Listen to the experts involved and not scare mongers.
Remember that as boring as it appears. We are all part of this company and should appreciate how people feel and not be so bitter. It is about the customer. I know what you may think but it is.

Good luck.

flowerpower

Checkouts do not get paid more than ga that stopped years ago when multi skilling came in

flowerpower

Tapemeasure
Well said everyone in the company is just essential as the next person

lackofinterest

not THE Shane?!? ??? ;)

lackofinterest

Quote from: Carparkpothole on 08-02-18, 06:30PM
Most dc's  are desperate for new staff so why doesn't everyone who wants more pay transfer to one?.... simple!!!!!!!!!
and the same goes to anybody who thinks night shift work harder than day shift!!

the rule book

Quote from: flowerpower on 08-02-18, 07:01PM
Checkouts do not get paid more than ga that stopped years ago when multi skilling came in

Exactly the point checkouts are paid less than some one who is paid to fill turnips and bananas. Yet the responsibility level is much higher.

Its completely unequal pay. We may be all needed  and all Of value but we are given such different levels of responsibility and risk the pay is unfair.
Different jobs require different pay.

FatFraz

Quote from: lackofinterest on 08-02-18, 07:08PM

not THE Shane?!? ??? ;)

No shame in Shane  ;D

anfield

Lack of interest , do a week on nights , try doing your minerals aisle , caps back stock , delivery . oh yes when your finished help the guy in bws . Remember there's no fun at work on nights, there's no superstar awards to pacify your ego and you will definitely require a change of uniform and shower before your next shift. Your a funny guy.

FatFraz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk