Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:47AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 299
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 293
Total: 297

Lidl paying £8-20 per hour

Started by silverbackache, 18-09-15, 06:18PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gomezz

Sometimes you have to extrapolate to the absurd to get the point across.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Loki

When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

the-vortex

Quote from: lordadmiral on 22-09-15, 12:03PM
I have a guy at my store who is working 8h shift plus 1h break.

Dot Comedy drivers work 9am to 7pm or 8am to 6pm (10 hours) with a 1 hour lunch.
Loyalty is a one-way street!

best

One hour for lunch if your lucky!!

the-vortex

I insist on the full 60 minutes and if that makes my pm trip late then so be it. If you work some of your lunch break then you're screwing yourself (and potentially breaking the law).

Luck has nothing to do with it.

gomezz

The law says 20 minutes minimum break.  to be honest I often prefer to get the hell out of the madhouse and park up somewhere for the other 40 minutes in peace and quiet.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

the-vortex

We had a driver given a disciplinary for leaving that early.

part of the problem

Has anyone had experience of working for Lidl? I'm assuming that pay could well be tempting for a lot of unhappy Tesco employees. I hear the structure is still a little management heavy having store manager, assistant manager and deputy managers but not sure if true.

OpShunned

Germany 1 - Tesco 0

Looks as if Tesco are trying to replicate the Blitzcrieg boys' model  :D

Is this a pre-cursor to a Franchised Metro/Express format in the near future?

Tesco 'planning' discount chain to take on Aldi and Lidl
Retailer has reportedly hired advisers to develop separate brand as threat from discounters grows

Britain's biggest supermarket group is understood to be working on a secret plan to develop a new discount grocery chain to take on cut-price chains Aldi and Lidl.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/feb/11/tesco-planning-discount-chain-to-take-on-aldi-and-lidl

Equalizer87

If you ever wanted a bigger sign of how much Aldi/Lidl scare the hell out of Tesco, now you have one.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

OpShunned

..and when they advertise jobs they post between £8,49 and £9.69 per hour so that makes it more attractive to anyone starting out in retail?

Imitation is often a form of flattery they say although this smacks of desperation. One of the top 4 may go under soon so looks like Tesco are positioning themselves to survive the chop. Is this a gamble that could go wrong?

Redshoes

I was once told that Aldi and Lidl together only take same money as our PFS side of the business but this is still an interesting idea.

OpShunned

Tesco UK turnover 2017--- 37 Billion

Aldi - 10 Billion for the first time 6.5% of Uk market

Lidl have 5.3% of uk market - cant find turnover but could be 7/8 billion?

"Those who would hope Aldi and Lidl are just going to go away will be disappointed. Their till rolls were both up 16.2% and 16.3% respectively, dwarfing the others." Tesco leads the pack with 2.6% growth over the period,
Read more at https://www.managementtoday.co.uk/why-aldi-lidl-will-keep-growing/article/1386497#7rTvYcQmIltDyTm2.99
https://www.managementtoday.co.uk/why-aldi-lidl-will-keep-growing/article/1386497

These are not small fry any more. They are posing a threat to the top 4  :)

Equalizer87

Quote from: OpShunned on 11-02-18, 06:58PM
..and when they advertise jobs they post between £8,49 and £9.69 per hour so that makes it more attractive to anyone starting out in retail?

Imitation is often a form of flattery they say although this smacks of desperation. One of the top 4 may go under soon so looks like Tesco are positioning themselves to survive the chop. Is this a gamble that could go wrong?

I quite agree, Tesco have been trying to ignore and play down the threat of the discounters by not acknowledging them. It's been said on here for some time, the discounters model is the future and Tesco (if this is to be true) are now realising that.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

FatFraz

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/feb/11/tesco-planning-discount-chain-to-take-on-aldi-and-lidl

Tesco 'planning' discount chain to take on Aldi and Lidl

Tesco last tried the discount route under the leadership of Sir Terry Leahy, but the move was abandoned because the management team at the time feared it might undermine the main brand.

They prefer to lose business to Aldi/Lidl than retain it.  ;D

Kingkong2015

Well if pay keeps on going the way it's going we'll all be on minimum wage soon esp in the dc's which have new generation contracts  >:D

SensibleSid

Here is what the public think of their supermarkets.... Tesco come 6th, just after Iceland FFS.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43026318

StinkyPoo

I worked for Lidl when it first opened over here, some 20 years ago. I wouldn't go back there! The wages were good but the hours were super long, sometimes 6am until 10pm. Everyone did everything, tills, shop floor, cleaning. Very short on staff, sometimes only one shop assistant and the manager. It may have changed now though.

FatFraz

Quote from: SensibleSid on 12-02-18, 04:46AM
Here is what the public think of their supermarkets.... Tesco come 6th, just after Iceland FFS.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43026318

Aldi 74%
Marks and Spencer 73%
Lidl 69%
Waitrose 68%
Iceland 65%
Tesco 64%   ;D
Asda 63%
Morrisons 63%
Sainsbury's 62%

madness

Hey drastic dave,
Do aldi do 10 feet high? no.
Do they do pick your bank holiday date? no
Do they do community work? no
Do they hand out stupid ammounts of comment cards? no
Do they do moneygramme? no
Do they do foreign exchange money? no
Do they do service health checks? no
Do they offer to pack bags? no
do they have 14 types or clementine/satsuma? no
Do they give you a budget hours to run a department then randomly have zero overtime weeks? no
Do they treat the customer as a king/queen who can do no wrong? No
do they have  home delivery service that drains the store of support staff and the best dates? no

Do YOU see the problem?

FatFraz

madness

"budget hours" ;D

The happy hour when Tesco are left with no GAs and TMs are left doing the role on what ever they get.

I saw our PM fill toilet roll once. Not much change out 50K/year. Yet they tell minions to get lost on £7 an hour.

lackofinterest

Quote from: madness on 16-02-18, 01:29PM
Hey drastic dave,
Do they give you a budget hours to run a department then randomly have zero overtime weeks? no
do they have  home delivery service that drains the store of support staff and the best dates? no

Do YOU see the problem?

:):thumbup: :thumbup:

londoner83

Whilst .comedy is seen as the future of retail it is totally unprofitable hence why none of the discounters are online.

Have you ever found a Lidl extra? Our stores are just too big for customers who largely only shop for the next 2-3 days.

And on staffing do you ever hear of Lidl employees refusing to work a till/clean up a spillage or fill this or that coz it ain't their job?

Tape measure

Quote from: madness on 16-02-18, 01:29PM
Hey drastic dave,

Do YOU see the problem?

I appreciate your comment. I have had conversations over the years about their business model. It's to be admired but not to everyone's taste.
I know of people who have worked for the discounters and it wasn't a good experience.

Expectations are lower when people shop at the discounters. It's not a criticism as such.

I have worked at Tesco now for a very long time. I remember how staff back over 20 plus years talked at how pleased they were at working there. Especially when the shares had more value. That conversation has dropped of year by year sadly. There is such fierce competition as we all know.

What I really dislike is the recent court case that was very public. Many staff hearing of this felt betrayed.

lucgeo

Tesco ethos back in the day...."stack em high, sell em cheap" ......they succeeded in building up their popularity with this concept.

Fast forward......tesco wanted to compete with the likes of Waitrose, M&S, but retain the bargain brands....resulted in spreading themselves too thin with 3 tiers of the same product...basic, tesco brand and finest. Then having their fingers in too many pies....so the success of some ventures, propping up the failures, in stead of cutting them loose e.g. Dot com...etc....

Aldi and Lidl ethos...."stack em high, sell em cheap" .... ??? ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk