News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 12:59AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,361
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 385
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 361
Total: 362

Face Masks

Started by Welshie, 10-07-20, 10:20AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manbearpig

Quote from: BadHairDay on 20-07-20, 09:47PM
Is any one hear from a store based in Wales? I was under the impression that wearing face masks was being enforced in England and Wales it was voluntary. I was told today that everyone had to wear a mask regardless.

Not from a Welsh store, but according to the document that I've seen regarding Tesco's policy (which covers, England, NI, and Wales), face masks are not mandatory, but strongly advised to be worn by colleagues, in line with government advice.

BadHairDay

I am based in a Welsh store and we have been told we have to wear a face mask from Thursday and failure to comply would result in potential disaplinary action.

manbearpig

Quote from: BadHairDay on 20-07-20, 09:54PM
I am based in a Welsh store and we have been told we have to wear a face mask from Thursday and failure to comply would result in potential disaplinary action.

That's madness.

NightAndDay

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/face-coverings-to-be-mandatory-in-shops-and-supermarkets-from-24-july

From this, I'm of the understanding that from the 24th July (In England at least) the government will push through legislation to make it mandatory that all people must wear facemasks when in stores and restaurants as is current practice with Uber cabs and buses, failure to comply may lead to a £100 fine.

Although I can't find any mention of employees being exempted, I would assume that it applies to everyone, as we all know, law > company policy.

manbearpig

Quote from: NightAndDay on 20-07-20, 11:32PM
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/face-coverings-to-be-mandatory-in-shops-and-supermarkets-from-24-july

From this, I'm of the understanding that from the 24th July (In England at least) the government will push through legislation to make it mandatory that all people must wear facemasks when in stores and restaurants as is current practice with Uber cabs and buses, failure to comply may lead to a £100 fine.

Although I can't find any mention of employees being exempted, I would assume that it applies to everyone, as we all know, law > company policy.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own

It is not compulsory for shop or supermarket staff to wear face coverings, although employers should consider recommending their use where appropriate and where other mitigations are not in place.

T69

Why can’t Tesco be more transparent in what they are issuing. As per usual there is so much confusion between different stores in different parts of the U.K. Some stores say all staff must wear masks yet others say it’s optional. Whether you agree or disagree with the wearing of masks Tesco need to make a stance and be uniform at all stores.

Fixxer

Why? Because if they made it absolutely 100% compulsory for all staff to wear a face covering at all time it'd have to be issued, there would need to be enough, presumably disposable, in the store at all times and cover several changes of mask per shift. Although it's shown in most studies that a disposable mask is good for 8 hours that goes out the window if it gets dirty or contaminated in any way.

Allowing for say 3 masks per 6-8 hour shift. For every single worker, plus a few extra for good measure would be a huge amount. (let's not forget the amount that will go in peoples bags to cover themselves and family while shopping)
If it's that compulsory then what happens if they run out? People start panicking and saying they can't work because there's no issued masks. Some will work with their own and some will stand ground to "prove a point"

That's why it's been as clear as mud. If every store had a 7 day stock of masks and guarantee that could be topped up then you can be sure they'd have it in the T's and C's we should all be wearing them all the time.

BUY TESLA STOCK

The link to government webpage in reply 104 gives all the info about shop workers and the wearing of facial coverings. Do not listen to colleagues who have little/no interest.

manbearpig

Yeah so I'm 100% certain my stores' management team is misleading our employees on the shop floor. They're briefing us and saying that Tesco have said it's 100% compulsory to wear a mask while on shop floor during trading hours. Yet, the policy from Tesco themselves that I have seen states that "it is not mandatory for colleagues to wear a face mask" and "ultimately it is an individual's choice and responsibility" to wear one. Which falls in line with the UK government's guidelines in that they also state that it is not compulsory for shop workers to wear face coverings. Tesco have been very explicit in saying that they have been following the guidance of the UK government, including in this most recent face covering policy they delivered to managers yesterday.

I was going to wear a face mask anyway, regardless of what Tesco's policy was going to be, but it's just the fact that my store's management team have purposefully not given employees all of the information that was passed down to them from Tesco HQ that grinds my gears. I believe they're just trying to get people in masks so they don't have to deal with rowdy customers saying "why do I have to wear a mask when one of your employees isn't?". It seems like this is happening in other stores too where management are threatening staff who don't wear a mask with disciplinary action.

adamlad

Thats true of my shop. Its strange but the communication in comms centre was deleted by this am to support the facade

trivi

Comms have gone out in my shop conveniently missing out the not mandatory part

BUY TESLA STOCK

Quote from: manbearpig on 21-07-20, 03:20PM
Yeah so I'm 100% certain my stores' management team is misleading our employees on the shop floor. They're briefing us and saying that Tesco have said it's 100% compulsory to wear a mask while on shop floor during trading hours. Yet, the policy from Tesco themselves that I have seen states that "it is not mandatory for colleagues to wear a face mask" and "ultimately it is an individual's choice and responsibility" to wear one. Which falls in line with the UK government's guidelines in that they also state that it is not compulsory for shop workers to wear face coverings. Tesco have been very explicit in saying that they have been following the guidance of the UK government, including in this most recent face covering policy they delivered to managers yesterday.

I was going to wear a face mask anyway, regardless of what Tesco's policy was going to be, but it's just the fact that my store's management team have purposefully not given employees all of the information that was passed down to them from Tesco HQ that grinds my gears. I believe they're just trying to get people in masks so they don't have to deal with rowdy customers saying "why do I have to wear a mask when one of your employees isn't?". It seems like this is happening in other stores too where management are threatening staff who don't wear a mask with disciplinary action.

This is exactly what is happening. Management should never challenging a customer or a colleague and they have been told this. Threats are all it is. Maintain distancing from customers and members of the public whilst working in stores and you should not be challenged for not wearing a covering. If customers are becoming rowdy walk away. If management are questioning you on not wearing a covering let them do as they want. No matter what we think of the government guidelines and the leadership the information is there in black and white. Wearing of coverings for workers is only strongly recommended. The management are not interested in you showing them the policy because they know you are on the right and simply want everyone to wear a mask incase there is a customer as you describe. We could all be passing the virus on to the customer by contacting a few thousand products before shop opens to public or giving ourself the virus by touching our face as the tannoy call goes out at 6am to put masks on as customers are now entering. Kidding the customers on is all it is. With the exception to nhs etc who can enter during closing times...

Pathfinder

As i read the policy .. all customer facing staff will be asked to wear a face mask or face covering.  Any staff who cant wear one must have a valid reason to why they cant. And a visor may be given as a second choice . If any member of staff who is customer facing then still does not want to wear one then they may be moved to a non customer facing roll. If your behind a screen you do not have to wear one . In warehouse you do not have to wear one . This affects all stores in England . Wales . And N Ireland... only .

Paulie

Wearing a face mask is ridiculous this late in the covid game. I don't want to be struggling to breath for 8 hours wearing them and making me feel ill. When are the people going to stand up, our freedoms are just evaporating every day, this worse than George Orwell 1984.

BUY TESLA STOCK

The local policy is force staff to wear face coverings during opening hours or provide medical evidence. But they forget nhs worker come in through the night and there is hoards of dotcomers without masks and others have contacted 1000s of products during the night. Then they expect compliance when a tannoy call goes out at 6am as they open to all.

gomezz

As a dot.com driver I will be maintaining my current practise of only wearing a face covering if unloading the shopping for a frail customer inside their home as the rest of the time I will be suitably distanced in the fresh air outside.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Mark calloway

We on nights have to told we HAVE to wear them from 10pm till 12 then 6am till 7. Store manager "insists". So ignore the swarm of dot comedy piling on the aisle but wear them for 1 or 2 customers coming in. Also wearing them 4 months into a pandemic is like bringing condoms to a baby shower

lucgeo

Quote from: Paulie on 21-07-20, 06:51PM
Wearing a face mask is ridiculous this late in the covid game. I don't want to be struggling to breath for 8 hours wearing them and making me feel ill. When are the people going to stand up, our freedoms are just evaporating every day, this worse than George Orwell 1984.

The only reason it is believed to be " this late in the Covid game" is because the country went into lockdown, far too late in my opinion, to fight the transmission of this DEADLY virus. To just abandon the precautions is what's ridiculous. Has everyone forgotten how many people have died over the last four months, including all the NHS, carers and frontline workers, the majority of whom died scared and alone!
I don't think playing Russian roulette, by choosing not to wear one, is exercising your rights of freedom of choice, It's not a fashion statement, it's using everything possible to maintain the defence against this unseen deadly enemy.
If you were in a trench on the frontline, would you refuse to go over the top without your rifle, because it was heavy, hurt your shoulder carrying it, and was giving you a headache  :-X
Anyone with a genuine medical reason for being unable to wear one, should be protected from face to face contact with customers.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lucgeo

Quote from: Mark calloway on 21-07-20, 11:31PM
We on nights have to told we HAVE to wear them from 10pm till 12 then 6am till 7. Store manager "insists". So ignore the swarm of dot comedy piling on the aisle but wear them for 1 or 2 customers coming in. Also wearing them 4 months into a pandemic is like bringing condoms to a baby shower

I would have thought YOU would be insisting on wearing one at all times, having read your past posts regarding your family's ill health  ???

Paulie

Quote from: lucgeo on 22-07-20, 08:03AM
The only reason it is believed to be " this late in the Covid game" is because the country went into lockdown, far too late in my opinion, to fight the transmission of this DEADLY virus. To just abandon the precautions is what's ridiculous. Has everyone forgotten how many people have died over the last four months, including all the NHS, carers and frontline workers, the majority of whom died scared and alone!
I don't think playing Russian roulette, by choosing not to wear one, is exercising your rights of freedom of choice, It's not a fashion statement, it's using everything possible to maintain the defence against this unseen deadly enemy.
If you were in a trench on the frontline, would you refuse to go over the top without your rifle, because it was heavy, hurt your shoulder carrying it, and was giving you a headache  :-X
Anyone with a genuine medical reason for being unable to wear one, should be protected from face to face contact with customers.

We have been fine the last 4 months in the trenches without our rifle, a virus so deadly that I do not know one colleague tested positive despite thousands of customers weekly coming through the doors.

lucgeo

Was there a ceasefire in those trenches for 4 months?

Do you think, without lockdown, social distancing and shielding, that those fortunate people in your little world would have remained unaffected ???

Put your mask on, take a couple of headache tablets and demist those rose tinted glasses!

Morris999

I really do not see people’s issues with having to wear face masks at work, other than to have something else to moan about.

I remember when this virus first landed, a lot of colleagues were demanding Tesco provide face masks to them for their safety, they were consistently slamming Tesco for not providing them.
Tesco then did and most of those same colleagues never wore them even once.
In fact until Boris announcement about them in my store we still had pretty much the entire allocation.
Then suddenly colleagues were taking large quantities of them, not for use at work mind, but for when they go shopping, just so they don’t have to spend about £5 buying some.
It’s these same colleagues that were complaining about Tesco not supplying them, that are now complaining that they might have to wear them and it’s disgusting that Boris has done it!

Just think for one minute how the Extremely Vulnerable colleagues are going to feel, when from the 2nd August they return to work, many leaving the house for the first time since March, walk into the store, to find some customers refusing to wear them and Tesco not enforcing it, some colleagues refusing to wear them because they don’t want too, the Police saying they have better things to do and won’t enforce it, and yet apparently Tesco will be a Covid safe place for them to work in!
Then you will have the comments from certain colleagues about how they have had a 18 week paid holiday while others have been at work the entire time.
It will be a great first day/week back for their mental wellbeing won’t it.

Started2008

Absolutely this! I’m one of the many who have had to shield this whole time, I’m due back on the 3rd August and at the moment the advice for people shielding is still not to go into shops however I have Just so that my first experience going into a shop is that overwhelming that I can’t do my job. The whole mask thing is stupid, people will complain about anything until it happens to them.

Paulie

Have you actually read the negative health benefits to wearing them. If masks were so safe why are asthmatic excluded etc

lucgeo

Because they have restricted breathing, as do some other vulnerable colleagues.

You said yourself, breathing is uncomfortable...how do you think they'd cope?
I've read and heard many theories, during this pandemic, of pros and cons...Let's see...
Herding is best.. no it's not now.
Don't wear face masks...wearing of face masks mandatory.
Go to work...don't go to work
Use hand sanitiser...soap and water is best
Can't visit another household...can go clean any household...
Etc....etc....etc...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk