News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 12:27PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 271
Total: 276

Outbreaks

Started by Nomad, 08-09-20, 11:22AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Welshie

Quote from: helpme on 20-01-21, 10:59AM
Quote from: Himynameus on 20-01-21, 09:20AM
Where it becomes clear that a colleague is not following the government guidelines, or the safe
distancing measures either inside or outside of work, it would be appropriate to investigate the matter
in line with our misconduct policy. It is not acceptable for colleagues to break the government
guidelines outside of their working hours, as by doing this they could be putting their fellow colleagues
at risk when they are in the workplace.
So when did Tesco assume the authority to investigate and discipline you for when you are outside the work place? It would be interesting to see  how they would be able to get evidence against you and from whom. It's a pity they aren't so worried about their delivery drivers!

If an employee has pictures on social media attending a party then expects Tesco to pay them if they have to isolate , I think that would be worth investigating.  Did they come to work in days after party and put colleagues at risk . It does state 'breaking government guidelines ' so I do think this is only in relation to covid and isolation pay and not about getting arrested or other random things .

Munchkin

How about this for an idea, tesco actually start applying the government guidelines to the customers instead of using them to harras the staff most of whom are barely hanging onto their sanity as it is. Tesco could actually enforce the one person per shop instead of 4or5 we often get, they could enforce the mask wearing, and politely ask people to shop as quickly as possible not stand around together chatting and maybe even remind people we are offering an essential service so if your visit is just for a newspaper and scratchcard please don't attend. They could also ask not to touch what your not buying and god forbid insist no trying clothes on (it makes no difference just closing changing rooms they still keep trying stuff on).
Maybe they could also invest some of their huge profits to pay for staff to help apply these guidelines (my store would have several suitable volunteers) instead of cutting off most of the overtime so we barely have time to fill....or am I just being stupid and expecting the impossible                                 

NightAndDay

For Tesco to enforce they need the legal remit to do do, the government hasn't given shop floor workers extrajudicial powers so they can only ask.

helpme

Quote from: Welshie on 20-01-21, 05:02PM
Quote from: helpme on 20-01-21, 10:59AM
Quote from: Himynameus on 20-01-21, 09:20AM
Where it becomes clear that a colleague is not following the government guidelines, or the safe
distancing measures either inside or outside of work, it would be appropriate to investigate the matter
in line with our misconduct policy. It is not acceptable for colleagues to break the government
guidelines outside of their working hours, as by doing this they could be putting their fellow colleagues
at risk when they are in the workplace.
So when did Tesco assume the authority to investigate and discipline you for when you are outside the work place? It would be interesting to see  how they would be able to get evidence against you and from whom. It's a pity they aren't so worried about their delivery drivers!

If an employee has pictures on social media attending a party then expects Tesco to pay them if they have to isolate , I think that would be worth investigating.  Did they come to work in days after party and put colleagues at risk . It does state 'breaking government guidelines ' so I do think this is only in relation to covid and isolation pay and not about getting arrested or other random things .
That is reasonable but how would they investigate breaking Covid measures without proof or other things?
Invite family members in for statements?

Snowflakes86

Has anything been said or done by the unions? I started at Tesco as a Christmas temp now permanent on nights. People on days and nights all different departments keep going off sick and we are not being notified if we have been in contact with someone with corona. I know they should t name them but I am aware of more than 1 person now who has been off with corona and I've worked with them and they have said nothing. Our cleaner is now off and I see her most early mornings. She doesn't wear a mask and she's off with it. Luckily I protect myself best I can but I've had to stop my own childcare from my mum seeing the kids and helping look after them as it's just getting too risky. The place I also work in is also very dirty.the only place with daily cleaning is the tills.

Redshoes

It's all a matter of track and trace. They can't name people who have tested positive but they are asked questions and if they don't say that they have been in contact with people they won't be sent home. They are asked by NHS and by us. If they say they have not been in contact you have to trust what they say.

londoner83

Make sure you have downloaded the covid app as in theory that should automatically detect close contact with anyone testing positive.

Himynameus

The app the best way really in my store they have stopped sending as many people home. Even people you know that have been working together. Most people are now going home via the nhs app and that seems to be sending a lot of people home

Journo40

Hi,

I can’t work out how to post a new topic here, sorry, but I’m a journalist looking to speak to people about their experiences of working in a supermarket during the pandemic and how it’s affected their mental health. I’m particularly interested in talking to people with longterm mental health issues and how life has been over the past year. If you’re interested please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Yvette

Welshie

Bet your inbox is full

gomezz

This is an overview of an analysis of the risks of death amongst various sectors of the population by the ONS published today

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55795608

"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

dotnochance

We’re pretty low down

gomezz

Look again.  The risk of death is increased by over 50% (for women, presumably men is similar). It is only listing the top of the league tables.

Munchkin

Quote from: NightAndDay on 20-01-21, 11:07PM
For Tesco to enforce they need the legal remit to do do, the government hasn't given shop floor workers extrajudicial powers so they can only ask.
No private company needs a central or local governments legal remit to enforce any health and safety protection issue and they are in fact being extremely negligent by not enforcing fully the government guidelines for all areas of the workplace not just public areas. As a private business they have a right to refuse entry for any or even no given reason and also to insist on certain behaviours for anyone on the premises. So the enforcement option is available to them and should be applied as workers and other business users have a right to be protected as the government guidelines state

Nomad

Southend Tesco worker tests positive for coronavirus
QuoteIt comes after rumours of seven cases at the Tesco shop in the Royals Shopping Centre in Southend, but bosses insist only one worker has the virus.

Early last week bosses at the supermarket chain also confirmed that a worker at the Kursaal store in the town also had tested positive for the virus.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Munchkin on 25-01-21, 07:01PM
Quote from: NightAndDay on 20-01-21, 11:07PM
No private company needs a central or local governments legal remit to enforce any health and safety protection issue and they are in fact being extremely negligent by not enforcing fully the government guidelines for all areas of the workplace not just public areas. As a private business they have a right to refuse entry for any or even no given reason and also to insist on certain behaviours for anyone on the premises. So the enforcement option is available to them and should be applied as workers and other business users have a right to be protected as the government guidelines state

Still requires paperwork to bar someone and no, verbal barrings can't be enforced. They don't need legal remit to enforce health and safety that doesn't entwine with other laws. Shop workers can't arrest or stop anyone from breaking the law, only police officers can or people doing a citizens arrest. Rights to be protected under limitations of what is allowed by law and relevent powers.

Munchkin

All the government's covid safe guidelines are required to be applied by every business in their covid safe risk assessments which every business must have in place to operate, the risk assessment is a legally enforceable document and therefore you have you have the right to deny any entry to anyone and insist on certain rules being followed in stores a paper trail for barring entry to anyone  to a private business/property is not necessary by law only by the law that tesco makes up for itself.  In the case of not wearing a mask/ not social distsncing/ shopping in groups all these things are legally enforceable as they are contained in the covid safe risk assments a legally enforceable document

dotnochance

As I said Tesco has done the bare minimum. Why is tesco(supermarkets) been allowed to not even bother following government rules on Covid, and yet every single other business have been following the guidelines?

gomezz

The latest episode of the More or Less podcast includes some interesting analysis of the statistics surrounding the role of supermarkets in spreading the infection.  All is not as it seems:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09565hd

This is one of the podcasts I think is worth listening to regularly which debunks the garbled messages we get from politicians and the general media when it comes to the statistics of all matters of public interest.

Nomad

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/glasgow-tesco-worker-dies-after-23392025

QuoteA Tesco worker has died after a Covid-19 outbreak at a Glasgow shop.

A man, believed to have been in his early 60s, became infected with the virus at the Maryhill Tesco Extra branch.

Others staff members have now also tested positive for coronavirus.

Tesco insisted a "very small number" of workers at the supermarket caught the virus but staff told Glasgow Live as many 35 people had tested positive since the start of the year.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

BUY TESLA STOCK

No good news Nomad

[admin]Not sure if you missed out a 't' or if that's a question. If it's the latter then the company spends millions of pounds promoting the 'good' news (in their opinion anyway), I'm happy to offer the alternative few for free. Isn't that nice of me :D . If the former then no it certainly is not, and my condolences to their family and friends.[/admin]

Welshie

35 positive In one store , that is truly shocking.  RIP to our deceased colleague

Oldyear

Recently we have had a run of 50+ members of staff being off with having an alert on the track and trace app. Many of those had tested positive from what I can gather. Following on from this, management were apparently appauled, making vague threats etc. A few days later we had regulations passed down to us  from head office that they will no longer support paid isolation if workers do not answer questions about what they have been up to outside of work.
They also told us about the tightening of mask rules, stating staff will have to wear them properly at all times across the store.

Then, fast forward... Managers (inc seniors) are working with masks on their chin and chatting to staff with zero social distancing, one isn't even wearing a mask on the shop floor anymore. Night staff, no masks. A fair portion of staff are still wearing the masks under the nose and chin, including several staff members whom, on the first day back from having the illness, are informing everyone that will listen that "This isn't a joke, the effects are real"... Security aren't challenging anyone or asking people to put their masks on correctly, staff or otherwise. The only time they make any effort is the few times the police have been in store enforcing the rules.

To top all this off, I can't even go to the union rep as they are one of the worst examples of staff that refuse to wear the mask over the face properly.

notsofunny

Anyone got any info on how many Retail workers have sadly passed away with covid ? read some place that 20% have been Infected but nothing about deaths .. Always seem to see info on health workers but not on retail workers ,

NightAndDay

Quote from: Oldyear on 08-02-21, 11:56AM
Recently we have had a run of 50+ members of staff being off with having an alert on the track and trace app. Many of those had tested positive from what I can gather. Following on from this, management were apparently appauled, making vague threats etc. A few days later we had regulations passed down to us  from head office that they will no longer support paid isolation if workers do not answer questions about what they have been up to outside of work.
They also told us about the tightening of mask rules, stating staff will have to wear them properly at all times across the store.

Then, fast forward... Managers (inc seniors) are working with masks on their chin and chatting to staff with zero social distancing, one isn't even wearing a mask on the shop floor anymore. Night staff, no masks. A fair portion of staff are still wearing the masks under the nose and chin, including several staff members whom, on the first day back from having the illness, are informing everyone that will listen that "This isn't a joke, the effects are real"... Security aren't challenging anyone or asking people to put their masks on correctly, staff or otherwise. The only time they make any effort is the few times the police have been in store enforcing the rules.

To top all this off, I can't even go to the union rep as they are one of the worst examples of staff that refuse to wear the mask over the face properly.

Unfortunately customers can't be made to wear masks due to the provision in law that they can't be challenged if they state they have a medical exemption, companies however are allowed to implement policies to circumvent this provision for employees provided it is done so in a non-discriminatory way (wearing a lanyard and occupational health.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk