News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

27-04-24, 11:35AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,427
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 525
Total: 528

New Changes - Q&A's

Started by Loki, 10-01-15, 09:31AM

Previous topic - Next topic

penguin

I think the vast majority of people in retail are now on a limited lifespan jobwise - the days of working in retail being a fairly safe and sound long term job option are all but over. Just wait until the big chains really kick on with click and collect for both food and non food and see how many shops are left in 20 years time. I take no pleasure in saying this as it affects me and several close family but anyone who still thinks a full time retail job is a long term option needs an urgent rethink im afraid to say those days are passing as we speak.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Egg Head

I like many of you have seen the demise of the good things this company had at one time...the exit of good capable managers and staff that have walked away or been hounded out because they would not follow the falsification of budgets/targets that became a working practice through out the business and ultimately got exposed at the very top level -  and we the staff are having to pay for now

If staff are not allowed to ballot on any of this or have a say then how else can we show our disapproval of what the company are doing to us?

A national "sick day"?

Everyone call in sick across the country on a given date - then the company may realise that it is the staff that ultimately get the cash put in the till's to deliver the profits for the shareholders

I would love to see how they would cope trying to get thinks picked,delivered and open any store with 85% of the staff not turning up for work across the whole company

May be if USDAW wont/cant do anything we should just get organised and do it our selves!

:thumbup:

panther

Loki, brilliant post! I never even THOUGHT about what DD said re pay freeze and the union, was too worried about my pension! I definately feel some sort of action is required, though apart from stopping my union fees, I don't know what at this moment!
As for the ref to Asda, I have just posted a link in news articles, which I got from an Ex Manager from Asda who was made redundant during their 'last' (year) restructure.
What action would you take Loki? I'm NOT asking you to give us a pointer, just some thoughts of what we COULD do  8-)

panther

egghead, great idea! If only we could reach 85% of the staff :(

tumshie

We could stop buying stuff from T*sco.
If everyone did it they would soon notice. If everyone didn't do it, oh well.

just curious

I myself did just that a couple of years ago , the corner shop was cheaper for fresh milk and some other items , Home bargains and B and M , Discount UK all sell grocery / toiletry  items cheaper than Tosco with out the promotions or staff discount - then there is Jack Fullertons and Heron foods who both sell goods at a better price than Tosco not for getting the likes of Lidl and Aldi . you can even get better prices in the pound shops on some lines and the weights - sizes are the same pack weights and size as the Tosco price .
I stopped giving them eight grand a year just to save eight hundred quid staff discount and gain a few club card points and be rewarded with useless clubcard  coupons for stuff that is over priced !! . other staff  could save to if they shopped around , spend your hard earned money any where other than Tosco - hit them in the till where it hurts them most .

lackofinterest

Quote from: Egg Head on 12-01-15, 10:20PM
I like many of you have seen the demise of the good things this company had at one time...the exit of good capable managers and staff that have walked away or been hounded out because they would not follow the falsification of budgets/targets that became a working practice through out the business and ultimately got exposed at the very top level -  and we the staff are having to pay for now

If staff are not allowed to ballot on any of this or have a say then how else can we show our disapproval of what the company are doing to us?

A national "sick day"?

Everyone call in sick across the country on a given date - then the company may realise that it is the staff that ultimately get the cash put in the till's to deliver the profits for the shareholders

I would love to see how they would cope trying to get thinks picked,delivered and open any store with 85% of the staff not turning up for work across the whole company

May be if USDAW wont/cant do anything we should just get organised and do it our selves!

:thumbup:

or better still a national sick WEEK. i would deffo be up for that.

Pathfinder

If new staff had a sick day they will loose a days pay, longer serving staff will not loose a days pay so not sure newer staff would want to loose a days pay.

mikeyj

Hello,

I've been saying for years on this site.......a "work to rule" would teach Tw*tco a very important lesson in how to treat as you wish to be treated yourself. You would not be in any breach of contract, do your flickin hours and go home..end of!

Babylon5 :-*

troll-hunter

Tumshie,  re "We could stop buying stuff from", some of us are already doing that!

Nomad

I think we are drifting to far away from the point of this thread, which is New Changes - Q&A's
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Egg Head

I think the big question for T/L is the £ they will be offered to change their terms and conditions to drop to GA & how long they would have to stay without having to pay it back if they left

The other worry is the £ offered to take the redundancy option...

I believe that in the "pilot" these figures where not put on the table till the last few weeks of the consultation period...and I can see it being considerably less than was offered to the "pilot" T/L's ...as the numbers involved now are greater and they are giving you option to have a GA job - continued employment

Ellacole2612

We have been told we will find out in February  :o

Loki

The problem with the Q&A's regarding the changes is that they are, in many ways, so ambiguous that they have done more harm than good.

Uncertainty, insecurity, fear and anger.

Hardly what I deem to be transparent.

In defence of Usdaw (shock - horror!) I believe that there is a possibility that they were not fully aware to the extent Drastic Dave would go prior to his announcement.

Hardly what I deem to be good industrial relations.

Granted, the changes to our pension will take some time. This needs to be consulted,negotiated and then a ballot!

With regards to the restructure, there is nothing stopping Tesco AND Usdaw providing more information IF it is based on the Pilot, which, when reading between the lines, it most certainly is.

The pay "freeze" is something that needs to be addressed and answers provided regarding the role of the pay negotiating team for stores and the negotiating process for DC's and Offices. After all, the announcement on pay has blatantly snubbed them all. It's all well and good glossing over this with an incentive plan in the shape of this so called Turnaround bonus, but how can this be announced without first negotiating with the aforementioned negotiators? As much as I despise the Forum process regarding pay, it forms a major part of the Partnership Agreement of which has clearly been breached.

On that basis, more detailed Q&A's need to be provided promptly by both Tesco AND Usdaw!

Last but not least, Drastic Dave and his merry men and leather clad lady have provided no further information regarding the call for further flexible working. Surely they must be aware that speculation is rife about employees having their Terms and Conditions turned upside down onto Flexible Contracts? Again, Usdaw need to obtain answers quickly.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

sb1326

The Company got rid of the night team in 1992 and replaced it with a twilight shift. This was a cost reducing measure.
It didn't work then and it sure as hell wouldn't work now. Deliveries arrive later and later and we already struggle to replenish the stores.
Any info on night restructuring would be greatly received though.

Egg Head

THE BENEFITS OF PARTNERSHIP WORKING – TESCO

This is the biggest private sector collective bargaining agreement in the UK
and one of the biggest in Europe. It is under the terms of the Partnership
that Usdaw have over 164.000 members and over 4,000 activists across
the business.
The agreement gives Usdaw sole recognition, negotiating and consultation
rights across the whole of Tesco Retail. This means that Tesco and Usdaw
co-operate to improve working conditions and to give employees a
greater say in how the Company is run.

I think the "Partnership Agreement" has just ended....

Loki

Quote from: sb1326 on 13-01-15, 11:02AM
Any info on night restructuring would be greatly received though.

There is no restructuring of nights in the UK. This rumour stems from the usual scaremongerers. If there were, I would inform you. In the meantime, ignore that rumour.

jedi40

if there is no restructuring on nights , will nightshift management and team leaders be unaffected ?

Loki

Again, rumours and the lack of information provided by Tesco is the cause of much confusion amongst employees.

The only answer I can give to your question is that if the restructure is a roll out of the Pilot, then yes. The restructure announced by Drastic Dave does not make any distinction between nights and days.

I'm sorry to say that we will have to wait for further information regarding who and who will not be severely affected by the restructure. I'm in the dark as much as anyone else and won't give any false hope or unconfirmed information regarding this matter.

notsofunny

Quote from: panther on 12-01-15, 07:38PM
Quote from: Morris999 on 12-01-15, 02:52PM
Come down on email today that they are not monitoring the completion rate this time.
If people do not want to do it then that's ok.

Well......maybe at least our PM won't give us the 'this is what we have done for you in the last year' speech. I, however, will GLADLY fill it in, and I hope to God there is a space for comments.....although THAT is probably pretty pointless too :(

Well don't see how they expect us to do it, What when it comes to asking if we think we will still be there is a years time, Since we don't know if we will still be there next week ???

notsofunny

I would agree with those like Loki That have said that in Reality no one , and I Mean no one really has any real information as to what is going to happen,, NO site manager has been told, nor personnel manager, area managers are as much in the dark as any one else,

my thinking would be that only at stores director level is there any real Insight as to what will happen, And they will not pass on any thing till they are told to do so,

We can shout scream  all we like at Managers and those above them, But I would say that they are as much worried about what will happen as we all are,

This has happened before, Only 4/5 years ago with Duty managers in Express, Then about 6 years before, and then about the same before that,, But not as drastic as this  as this is effecting jobs, pay conditions as well as pensions,
This Q&A thing is getting us no where :-X,,  in fact I would say that they at the top are getting more information from us than we are getting from them,

Only thing I would say is plan for the worst, Stop thinking I'm ok jack,

VladPutin

@Notsofunny, couldn't agree more: hope for the best, prep for the worst.

This whole situation reminds me of the line from the classic movie, Full Metal Jacket

"It's a huge s**t sandwich and we all have to take a bite."

The Mrs

More Q&A's were published today:

Pension Questions

Q. When will the current scheme be closed? (new question added 13 January 2015)
A. No date has been agreed yet – as the proposal to close the scheme is still subject to consultation. Regardless, you will still have access to a company pension scheme.

Q.Will I have to pay more towards my pension in the future? (new question added 13 January 2015)
A. Until the consultation takes place, we will not be able to confirm what the details of the proposed new scheme might be, including how much you might pay towards it. Please remember, nothing has changed yet and what you pay towards your pension now will remain unaffected by the announcement.

Q. How will my life cover be affected by the proposals? (new question added 13 January 2015)
A. Until the consultation takes place we will not be able to confirm what the details of the proposed new scheme might be, including life cover. Please remember, nothing has changed yet and all of the benefits you currently receive as a member of the scheme, including life cover, remain the same.

Q. Will my current pension continue to build up in the same way, now these proposed changes have been announced? (new question added 13 January 2015)
A. Yes, your pension will continue to build up as usual, until the point any changes are made to the scheme.

Q. If the scheme closes, will the pension I have in the scheme increase? (new question added 13 January 2015)
A. Yes, if the scheme closes, the pension you have in the scheme will increase each year, until you choose to retire, in line with inflation (up to 5% a year).

Q. Will I still be able to take some of my existing pension as a cash lump when I retire, even if the scheme closes? (new question added 13 January 2015)
A. Yes, this option will still be available to you, even if the scheme closes.

Q. Can I transfer my pension out of the scheme to a different scheme? (new question added 13 January 2015)
A. Yes, in most cases you'll have the option to transfer your pension out of the scheme to a different scheme if you wish to do so, now and in the future.

Q. Who can I talk to if I have more questions or want to give my opinion? (new question added 13 January 2015)
A. The detail of the proposed changes to our pension scheme will be sent to you in the next few months when the consultation starts – and this will include details of how the changes will affect you, where you can go to ask questions and how you can give your feedback. The consultation will last for at least 60 days so you'll have plenty of time to participate.

Q. Should I consider taking my pension early because of the proposed changes to the scheme? (new question added 13 January 2015)
A. No, you do not need to consider taking your pension early purely because of the proposed changes to the scheme as the pension you have built up will not be affected.

Reward Questions

Q. Is the Save As You Earn scheme I joined in November affected? (new question added 13 January 2015)
A. No, if you applied to join the latest Save As You Earn scheme your application isn't affected by the announcement. Colleagues who applied to join the scheme should receive their Option Certificate from 19th January onwards. If you applied online you'll receive your certificate via email, otherwise it will be sent to your home address.

Q. Can I cancel or change my contributions for Save As You Earn if my circumstances change? (new question added 13 January 2015)
A. Due to rules set by HM Revenue & Customs you cannot amend the amount you save once you have applied to join a Save As You Earn scheme. However, you can cancel any of your Save As You Earn schemes at any time and get your savings back. To do this call our Shares Helpline on 0871 384 2976.

The Mrs

This one has me worried, I hope people take advice before doing this too hastily -

'Can I transfer my pension out of the scheme to a different scheme? Yes, in most cases you'll have the option to transfer your pension out of the scheme to a different scheme if you wish to do so, now and in the future.'

I believe Tesco is the last defined benefit scheme in the UK 100 listed companies, if not the last then one of only two or three. The likelihood is that transferring your pension into a different scheme would be a defined contribution scheme, the outcome of which is much riskier.

notsofunny

not a lot new is there?

They must have a date in mind as to when it will close, since There planning has to run along side costings they have made for the year,
At least they should have been Honest in saying yes, The cost of the new style pension will be more to the workers,, and for a lower reward,, This was not to be the case there would have been no reason to close the old one would there :question:

If the scheme closes, will the pension I have in the scheme increase? (new question added 13 January 2015)
A. Yes, if the scheme closes, the pension you have in the scheme will increase each year, until you choose to retire, in line with inflation (up to 5% a year
So If we cant add anymore to it, and Tesco are not going to pay any thing in to it any more, The max amount in growth we will get is 5% if that is the inflation rate for that year 8-),, That meaning real growth will be none since inflation will wipe out any increase  :(  wondering what will happen to the true growth rate if as it has been said inflation is only 1% and wage increase goes up by say 2% :o would that not mean that the true value of our future pension will go down :(

the only thing I wanted to know about is

Q. How will my life cover be affected by the proposals? (new question added 13 January 2015)

And I got no true reply >:(

As to save as you earn ???

Is the Save As You Earn scheme I joined in November affected?

reply should have been yes it bloody well could be,

If you where brave and decided to commit the max amount you could afford and then find , That we have screwed you on your T&C, no pay rice, no premiums for sunday working night working, and the rest,,And now you have less of a salary coming in each month,, well bloody well bad luck,, It just means you have to stop saving and loose out completely on this save as you earn,,

So it just could be another one to add to the list I made of the way staff will get screwed  ,,

And there I was thinking there was only so many ways you could  get scre,,,, :-X

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk