News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:14AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 277
Total: 279

Lifestyle Breakl

Started by Penny, 24-09-11, 03:17PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadejah

Thank you for the response.

I just wanted to be sure before I made the request. To be honest I have no idea if I'll go back or not but don't want to resign right now I'd rather have a couple of month to get myself together before I make a final decision.

I plan to keep them informed every step of the way, I've been there a long time now and definitely wouldn't just not return without first letting them know!

Thanks again.

Jordan2510

How many of these lifestyle breaks can you take?

terra

one every two years

Curious392

And the years inbetween you can request extended holiday :D

Jordan2510

Just re-reading over this topic. What is an extended holiday and how do you take one of these?

Nothing really helps

Extended Holiday

Who can apply?

All staff

After How Long In Service?

1 year

Is It Paid Or Unpaid?

Unpaid

How long does it last?

Up to 4 weeks added to an agreed paid holiday or taken separately. Limited to a maximum of 1 period of leave every 2 years [only one period of either Lifestyle Break or Extended leave can be taken in any given Holiday year]

What's the notice Period?

As much  notice as possible or a minimum of 4 weeks.

Who do you ask?

Yoy will need to complete a  Leave Request Form and pass it on to your Line Manager. You Line Manager will consider your request and will let you know if your leave can be agreed.

Nothing really helps

by the way, there is a booklet called 'time for you' which every employee should have recieved. If not ask for one. Also  it should be posted on your notice board, if it isn't I suggest you ask you PM/Line Manager, why not.

Jordan2510

Anyone know if during lifestyle break you can come back earlier than the time you've requested?

tumshie

Don't know if there's a rule about it, but someone in our store came back early when their plan to travel abroad went wrong.

Jordan2510

Asking on behalf of a colleague of mine.

Can T3sc000 decline the Lifestyle break?

Also, do they normally give the persons hours who's going on a break to someone else or do they leave that position unfilled so they save a few pennies?

Storck

Yes they can decline the lifestyle break. Usually you have to have a clear disaplinary record and be green attendance .

The reasoning behind this is do they want to keep you, if not they might hope you quit. Sad but true.

Scruff

Do you know if i can take a lifestyle break and still have my normal allocated holidays?

picktocube

Yes ,lifestyle break is unpaid and you should be able to take the whole period that you require as this. They can ask for you to use a some of your holidays as part of the time off,but in my experience of taking a lifestyle break and from other colleagues this has never been implemented. Just apply for the break and see what response you get. :)

Scruff

Will do! i might put 1 weeks holiday in with the lifestyle break so i do get some kind of income in my break!

purpleloulou27

Hiya, Could anyone help me, I've returned from a career break, after 4 months off, and was wondering if anyone knows where I stand with pay and benefits etc. I was under the impression if you returned you would have the same as if you hadnt left? Any help would be most appreciated, thanks.

Nomad

purpleloulou27 welcome to VLH, I think you can find the answer(s) in the first page of posts in this thread.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

purpleloulou27

Hi, thanks Nomad.
I've read through from start to finish and cant seem to find the answers. I am already back working, have been for 10 weeks. What im querying is, 14 yrs ago when I started I got paid for sickness and double time for bank hols etc, am I entitled to this now?  I've looked on peopleattesco.com and doesnt really give much info but says see leaflet for further details(no one seems to be able to source this leaflet for me  :( )
Thanks again

Nomad

I believe that in taking a career break you resign from the company and have no guarantee of  having a position to return to however if one is offered a position and takes up that offer (in a reasonable time frame) then service is considered continuous.

But I'm no expert on this matter.

May I suggest you become a VLH Supporter and get access to the wealth of information in VLH Wiki.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

twinkletoes

That is correct Nomad, my other half did this and was given her T and Cs back as the same when she went on the break

purpleloulou27

Thankyou twinkletoes, so i should still be entitled to sick pay and double pay etc?

Nomad, thankyou, i have joined and asked a question to get more info.

Thanks for your help

Belligerent Ghoul

Read your new contract, it should tell you when your continuous employment began, if they haven't shown you it yet, ask to see it!

Scruff

What do i need to write on the letter to my manager to request a lifestyle break? something like this?

I would like to book a lifestyle break from xx/xx 2014 to xx/xx 2014

that it? i need to do a copy for me personnel manager too i think

picktocube

Absolutely right that is all you need to put. That is all I did when I requested a lifestyle break a few years back. Just remember to chase it up and get written confirmation that you can take it.  :)

ComeOnYouBees14

Just a quick question to throw out there, I'm new on this group and haven't worked out how to start a new topic yet... When on a lifestyle break are you allowed to do temporary work elsewhere ? I.e a few part time hours warehouse work through a job agency to earn a few extra pounds? My store were very vague with the policy when I booked my time off and I'd prefer minimal or no contact with them while I'm off so trying to find the answer without doing so... Any info would be much appreciated...

[admin]Welcome to VLH. Re: new topics(not that you would need one for this question) Supporter Benefits[/admin]

Perpetually disappointed

Does anybody know if it's possible to drop one day temporarily? Only for 3 months?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk