Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-04-24, 10:55PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,434
  • Total Topics: 641
  • Online today: 921
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 301
Total: 302

Management Restructure?

Started by Tsportyhead, 13-09-16, 09:36AM

Previous topic - Next topic

optout

Call me highly suspicious, but if the majority of the tesco distribution staff ended up being agency. Where, with regard to a successful outcome (for the Asda employees), would this leave any further similar claims for equal pay from tesco shop-floor staff?
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Duracell

To be honest, I couldn't give a flying f*** about Asda at the moment.
Also I don't understand the context of your post.

A majority of Distribution Staff as agency is not going to happen, impossible.

The only  comparative for Distribution staff and shop floor staff currently.

Who they are employed by.
All have lost their handbooks as a point of reference, no longer valid... See WWW. Our....
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

snowyowl

Duracell "a majority of distribution staff as agency is not going to happen, impossible"

I wonder if you could explain this statement, do you have some insight into what Tosco's plans are?  ???

Duracell

No insight just common sense.

Even if you have a blinkered view that it's possible, take a look at the previous page in this thread, take into account how long it takes the company to action 1 structure change. Even if they wanted to.. The time frame required to tap the supply before the supply is cut, is impossible.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Duracell

It's worth pointing out, even where Agency recruits non migrant workers they struggle heavily to retain them, common sense says they will not be able to get rid of 40% of the workforce and replace them with agency before the agency resource of labour is heavily depleted.

All this is assuming they have a wish to and they could take the negative impact and publicity.

Duracell.

snowyowl

It is factual that certain positions within some DC's have been taken from Tosco employee's and allocated on a permanent basis to agency, losing dozens of (non measured) Tosco employed full time positions. This is quickly eroding the gap between numbers of Tosco employed on a full time basis and agency. In recent times at the DC I work, it was suggested that there were more agency union members than there were Tosco union members. I believe that DC's will never be totally agency but it doesn't take a great stretch of the imagination to understand why Tesco would strive to have as many agency as they could. Financially it would be massive for them.   

fargone

So why don't Waitrose and Aldi use 3rd party?

snowyowl

Maybe when they've had years of over stretching and mismanagement that has landed them in major financial trouble they will, all I was saying is it is happening to a degree and it would be of financial benefit to them. We have no insight into what their plans are as displayed by Duracell, it's only opinions. You know what they say about opinions, they are like ar*ehol*s, everybody's got one!  >:(

Duracell

Ok I'll correct my choice of words to something more Apt.

Agency majority in Distribution "Very Improbable" across all of Distribution but Impossible at the DC I work.

If you look at %'s, across most sites, 25-35% of warehouse staff are Agency, but as far as all staff all departments goes the % is less clear.. Probably 20-30% or less.

So for the agency to become a majority the company would have to manage AT LEAST  20% of full time staff out of the business and replace them with agency.

Very improbable.

Particularly as some are taking on full time staff.

Duracell.

snowyowl

With regards to the Depot I work it's difficult to get a definitive figure of what the % is, although I believe the site agreement states that agency should be no more than 30% (I'm sure that figure is being exceeded). In saying that both the new SYP and SYA policies being rolled out will clearly enable Tosco to manage as many people out of the business as they want. Just a thought, do you think that the cull of Management will stop with Management or will it then make it's way to the shop floor?  :-\

Duracell

With Regard to the Management "Restructure", it would be difficult to apply similar reasoning to a Multi Skilled warehouse roll, Unless they move away from Multi Skilling dedicated loaders, Flt, pickers etc, which would be an absolute nonsense foolish move.

Having said that, The new attendance policy for stores goes live on 18th.. Which excludes distribution, yet the new time off policy applies to All. The launch of the new absence policy for distribution is being put back. Which means they do view distribution as devision they have to treat differently, I say this because I wonder how long Distribution will sustain 100% premiums and double time O/T .  It is that that will be the catalyst for distribution staff down the very slippery slope. One thing in distributions favour is we still have our right to need to agree to the changes. It can't be voted away by an elite few.

My worry is not Agency taking over, we will lose what we hold dear long before that happens. When you think about the proposed operational roles that will run operations for £20,000 per year anyone that takes on that role is going to take a pay cut, who is going to be interested in those roles for that money.

Considering what we see all around us in the network, they can't retain staff on new terms the turn over rate of staff is stupid.
The New Terms are not inspiring anyone to do extra, which is why I think the company are not tackling the More costly old T&C's.

The next thing I would expect to see, is some kind of reduction of cost to old T&C's, yet as I have suggested there is a reason why they are not tackling it, perhaps it is really difficult to achieve. More so than even I think.

We have to agree to whatever the change will be.
Different negotiating groups, means it can't be done like the current pilot is.

Duracell.

snowyowl

:-\ It is worrying,but we will just have to wait and see. If only we had a union or something to keep us all in the loop!  :-\

optout

now that is an excellent idea, do you think it will catch on (-*-)

Duracell

One thing I am pretty certain of is USDAW N.O's know far more than the communicate, which makes it difficult for the genuine reps.

Duracell.

snowyowl

I couldn't agree with you more Duracell, it's for that precise reason "good reps" can't be as efficient and professional as they would like to be. And for me, withholding information only confirms to me that Usbore are closer to Tosco than they are to their members.  >:D >:D

optout

Duracell, as an 'insider' do you see this lack of communication as avoidable (being caused by the disinterest or bloody mindedness of AOs), Or do you think that it is part and parcel of the structure or administrative workings of the union and is something that is difficult to resolve.

Duracell

"Insider" it's not the free masons!

To be fair to AO's they are not kept in the loop as much as they should be either.

With regard to the consultative process that's more N.O related as far as I see it, AO forward info, but they can't forward what they don't receive themselves.

Duracell.

optout

the 'insider' bit was a bit tongue in cheek I must admit. ;)

But, anyway, any names of NOs, maybe our attention should be focused on these guys. It seems that they have avoided most of the attention (I rarely hear of them on this site for example). I take it that these NOs are also un-elected and extremely well paid?

picktocube

Last I knew , Pauline Foulkes and Joanne McGuinness were NOs . They might have changed though.

optout

Are they elected?

What is their pay?

What are they paid for?

How big is their effective influence on tesco policy and changes to contractual terms.

Maybe some of our disgust should be shared with them as they seem to be getting a free ride in all of this, so far.

Maybe we need a comprehensive list of their names and contact details?

Duracell

Quote from: picktocube on 17-10-16, 02:00PM
Last I knew , Pauline Foulkes and Joanne McGuinness were NOs . They might have changed though.

Former is Now retail.
Later is Distribution.

I think both are recruited as a job role and not elected.

What is their pay? Probably too much.

Their accountability for consultative changes. Far less than it should be.

Contact details should be available via USDAW website. At least email.

Duracell.

snowyowl

I don't really understand why it's important to know who's who within the Usbore hierarchy, I don't think harassing them will do any good at all and would be a waste of anybodies time.
It's clear to me that you only have to look at the catalogue of deliberate "errors" they have been part of over the years and surely it tells you that you "the member" are of no great interest to them. They are playing in a bigger game.
Isn't this latest fiasco with the reduction of premiums simply down to them making decisions without consulting the members. Is there any other Union that has ever agreed to negatively change workers terms and conditions without consulting the workforce? I'll wager somewhere along the line some genuinely goodhearted union representative fought long and hard to get them terms and conditions agreed.  >:D >:D >:D 

Expressdude2016

Rumour is Express Management restructure in store away to be announced this week.

penguin

Conference calls for express SM's only no deputy or team leaders allowed on said call taking place across express this week, and I have no idea what the calls are regarding but makes one wonder if its some sort of restructure being announced as I've also been aware of a few rumours going around.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Expressdude2016

Apparently going to 3 shift/team leaders and store manager.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk