News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

27-04-24, 10:18PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,428
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 564
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 538
Total: 541

Job losses.

Started by Nomad, 07-04-09, 07:22PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bakersdozen

I really think if you're a bakery manager/fresh lead you should go over and above at trying to keep your better bakers. Because ultimately if you are left with lower qualtity bakers it is yourselfs (if you're skilled) who is going to pick up the slack or cover holidays(because a lack of bakers wanting the O/T).

The days of the bakery manager on walkies around the store all day are very numbered. If I was in a managers shoes I would pick the guys willing to do that extra mix with no grumbles willing to pick up that extra Sunday shift overtime regardless if they point lower on availability ECT.

Good luck to all bakers. We've worked hard at crafting our skill and are a passionate long serving bunch let's hope we get to keep what we love doing.

Baker4life

Havnt got many options I'm afraid. Take redundancy, reduce hours in bakery as a GA or move to another store if there is s job match. Look on Tesco job site, how many full time jobs are there let alone bakers jobs.

optout

Is bakery in a supermarket really a skilled job? Couldn't any GA be taught to do it in a few weeks, just like learning the back door/warehouse for example? Am I very wrong?
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Baker4life

Mate your very brave saying that wow that is typical coming from someone who knows jack shi@ about bakery. Have you even been and had a look in a bakery and what bakers do!   But you are right to the point that after a few weeks someone could add flour to a bowl with water and yeast but it takes a very long time to perfect the product you produce. It also comes down to self pride in what you make. Every bakery is different to another and bakers work differently. But we are a different breed to the rest of the store. You will not see the same quality of bread in every Tesco bakery and that is down to the bakers. Yeah mate you could learn in 2 weeks but I tell you now you would be producing sub standard products.

T2019sackallmanagers

Quote from: Baker4life on 29-02-20, 10:05PM
Mate your very brave saying that wow that is typical coming from someone who knows jack shi@ about bakery. Have you even been and had a look in a bakery and what bakers do!   But you are right to the point that after a few weeks someone could add flour to a bowl with water and yeast but it takes a very long time to perfect the product you produce. It also comes down to self pride in what you make. Every bakery is different to another and bakers work differently. But we are a different breed to the rest of the store. You will not see the same quality of bread in every Tesco bakery and that is down to the bakers. Yeah mate you could learn in 2 weeks but I tell you now you would be producing sub standard products.

Bloody hell, you're not making a work of art🤦‍â™,️
It's bloody rolls for christ sake🤦‍â™,️
99.9% of people wouldn't notice the difference and a 100% of people couldn't care either!
If you're that highly skilled and your rolls are the best then go self employed and start your own business if you're that good! 🤷‍â™,️

Bakersdozen

Quote from: optout on 29-02-20, 08:34PM
Is bakery in a supermarket really a skilled job? Couldn't any GA be taught to do it in a few weeks, just like learning the back door/warehouse for example? Am I very wrong?

This is exactly the type of attitude I dread that the big bosses have, and also will be the reason that all the bakers who get made redundant will be laughing thier socks off if the cuts are too deep and bakery hits the skids.

As we are the people who know all too well what it takes. I'm sure I won't be the only one saying I told you so. This is the only department that is very dangerous to cut as it could all come crumbling down if they f*** up.

Be all on your high horses looking down at the bakery and it's offer to customers at your peril. I know alot of customers will go else where especially older ones if they can't get a good choice of fresh bread/baguettes & rolls , and people come summer will go straight to our competitors for roll at bbq time. And they will buy the rest of their shopping there Too, that's where the damage will come from.

Bakersdozen

[gmod=gomezz]Personal abuse remove. Please keep it civil guys.[/gmod]

T2019sackallmanagers

[gmod=gomezz]Personal abuse remove. Please keep it civil guys.[/gmod]

Mr Grumpy

You should be ashamed of yourselves  :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

People are going to be losing their jobs in this latest cull and this will have a huge imact on them and their families lives.

Lets get this back on topic please......

heyyouguys

Mr grumpy could not agree more with your statement come on guys people will probably be losing their jobs we need to be supporting them and giving positive and constructive advise to help bakers make the right decisions for the future

Dougall

What would make this complete is the “Oracle “ to add their statement to this ...oh hang on they don’t really comment on the weekend, they spend most of their life on here usually Monday or Friday whilst doing their “superior “ job that they have happily told us in a dilution of about 200 messages that they have achieved...

Siwel123

Rather then bickering and having a willy waving contest lets use this a place to support everyone going through this stressful time.
Everyone is allowed a difference of opionion but when half the thread is people slinging insults all the good info gets lost.

heyyouguys

I was an effective colleague during the counters in may so happy to help the bakers in any way to help the.them make the right decisions

Long gone

I know it’s difficult but why don’t you all stop having a go at one another and just take your redundancy and go...there are people who have devoted almost 3 decades to a company that frankly doesn’t give a s***, and that’s the loyalty and thanks you all get. It’s pathetic. You all need to leave Tesco because ultimately the company deserves to fall with how it’s run. You’re all losing your jobs yet management are upstairs in  six hour meetings looking at new options candidates and who they can promote to management. I’ve never seen such a top heavy company and because of this they expect you all to do the work of 6 people. Don’t let the assholes in charge get you down, I was told i wouldn’t find employment after Tesco and now I’m earning 4x my Tesco wage and I’m sure people still talk about me in my old store because they hate success and are bitter. Leave Tesco now it will be the best feeling of your life I guarantee it ! Take the money and RUN , and never look back 

Redshoes

It's you that needs to leave. You have a new job with a new company but you can't let go. Just move on, it's time to say goodbye.

Nomad

[admin]Job losses[/admin]
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Paulie

I am surprised by the lack of information coming in so far, I guess the one to one meetings must be starting this week.

NightAndDay

Being a former baker myself I know very well the pride and passion people have baking from scratch. The loss of job security and financial uncertainty is bad enough, but it's a bit different when you love what you do. I hope all affected bakers find the same job elsewhere doing what they love, Morrisons has said they'll take on Tescos lost bakers but to add to this, artisan bakeries are making a resurgence, artisan independent bakeries are popping up in more affluent locations.

Bakersdozen

What makes it worse is the lack of actually what the changes are, and the way Tesco have just gave us a snippet of info then just leaving us stew for 2-3 weeks untill the heatmaps come down is bloody cruel.

I would definitely say it is affecting my mental health right now. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Lay off it would you mate.

Nomad

Discuss the issue(s) not the personalities.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Baker4life

I myself is stressed waiting to see what the package may be. I know there are no full time jobs in my store so my choices are take whatever the redundancy will be, reduce my hours once they have been arranged and take a huge pay cut. Very few full time jobs in other Tesco stores let alone near me. Just keeping s brave face Infront of the young kiddies at home. Don't want them seeing me worried but obviously inside I am bricking it.

Bakersdozen

Quote from: Baker4life on 01-03-20, 05:06PM
I myself is stressed waiting to see what the package may be. I know there are no full time jobs in my store so my choices are take whatever the redundancy will be, reduce my hours once they have been arranged and take a huge pay cut. Very few full time jobs in other Tesco stores let alone near me. Just keeping s brave face Infront of the young kiddies at home. Don't want them seeing me worried but obviously inside I am bricking it.

In the same position myself, although I don't think any information on full time contracts has been given. Unless you are a store going to full bake off, there may be light at the end of the tunnel yet.

I would take talk of no full time baker contracts with a pinch of salt otherwise that would be far more widespread if true.

My position is, full time, fully skilled(same pay). With the  hours I'm willing to do (flexible but not compromising to my family commitments)

If I get a job offer great, if not then I'd be gutted,  but looking at 17k if the calculater on here is accurate. Then in my estimate gives me a fair amount of time to find something else, worse case go back to one of my local stores in 6 months and see what's available Baker jobs wise.

Baker4life

Only a small bakery and going full bake off so yeah no full time jobs. Gutted

Oldman

Quote from: optout on 29-02-20, 08:34PM
Really like to see a GA make bread when the plant goes down ( and it does ) the skill aspect does not just mean mixing and sticking in an oven there is a lot more to it hence there are training programs from trainee to semi skilled to skilled

Baker4life

I totally agree. Unfortunately there are people who think it is a piece of cake to make a loaf of bread.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk