News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 05:36PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,116
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 295
Total: 297

Food Stock Managers

Started by beentheredoneit, 01-10-19, 08:04PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hmmm

Company still signing people off as senior/teams managers and putting people on placements when people like us are stuck with nowhere to go. Unreal.

Redshoes

This is not new. They have always done this but in theory they have a choice of managers to select from. There is however a points system and displaced managers get top pickings. The stock control role is not displaced at this stage, not sure that there are any displaced roles at the moment. There are structure changes but not displaced. This means multiple people applying for very few jobs. It gives a store manager some choice over who gets the jobs and leaves others in limbo. It also means that newly signed off managers could get the jobs but I suspect that the word will be to cut costs so to take from a vulnerable role.

NightAndDay

Quote from: stockstaffreduction on 20-06-20, 09:55AM
Quote from: Mildew on 14-06-20, 04:56PM
Doesn’t sound very pleasant for some. I made clear I’m not moving and have been left to it and treated the same. I’m very much under the impression I carry on doing the food stock manager role indefinitely now.

I am confident now that Tesco are working a solution for managers who will not move or who are reluctant to move. I would estimate there are 70-100 Food Stock Managers left in their roles, most will have worked for Tesco for a long long time.
If Tesco spend £100K on legal advice and finding a loop-hole that would still be a big saving on paying redundancy. When you look at what ASDA did last year to force a change and manage to succeed, then Tesco will following suit with colleagues and managers at some stage no doubt.
I will admit that I do not fully know the Asda situation and it may not be a clear cut as I think it is. What I do know though is there are no, or virtually no signs of employment tribunals being won by Asda staff.
If the Covid situation results in mass redundancies in the UK, then I think Tesco will use this as chance to force through minor employment changes as
no one will have any sympathy for us, as all we will hear is " atleast you have a job darling".

While the FSMs are still in the role, they are still under contract, and must therefore still be paid, finding legal loopholes isn't a one off transaction, it can take lot of time, all of which will have costs incurred for their FSMs that are still waiting to hear what's happening (and they'll still be paid their contracted rate while doing so) as well as the costs involved for their legal teams time to discover loopholes.

The "soft structure change" and "informal process" are all the legal teams inventions to try and bypass the cost outlay of redundancy, sometimes it's more about psychology and snake oil than discovering loopholes, because sometimes, there aren't any. In which case, being transparant and expediant with the redundancy process is the most cost effective way of dealing with it.

Jedi4.20

Hi just a quick one.  How is it right that we have someone on a temporary contact they have told him he’s now on options and walking around telling people what to do bare in mind (never worked in retail) I have been here 10 years now I find it a bit out of order as there are people here that would like to progress but now been put on hold.

I didn’t think you could be put on options as a temporary member off staff

[mod]Please read VLH Supporter Benefits[/mod]

NightAndDay

In short, partially due to poor corporate governance (in respect to renumeration package for the shift leader and team manager roles as well as the lack of measurable criteria for the selection process and inappropriate assessment and decisions on who gets promoted) partially a culture to try and get as much as they can for as little as possible, partially the consequence of not offering competitive rates for their shift leader and team manager roles compared to competitors and managers taking advantage of the naive using phrases such as "it'll be good for yoyr development" (the only good thing to get out of being stepped up is putting key holder and supervisory experience on your cv).

Mildew

All quiet here. The whole thing is dying a death. We are just doing half the new role for full pay  :D

Wirey2020

They are working on it...especially with the bakery manager being in the same position now...queue is building!!

Toady

is the bakery manager/counters combining in all stores.and any one know when counters will reopen?

BarryZola

What's happening with Bakery managers in Extra stores please?

disillusioned01

Quote from: Toady on 05-07-20, 06:23PM
is the bakery manager/counters combining in all stores.and any one know when counters will reopen?

I have been told this week that there is a new role of Food Production Manager that will cover Bakery and Counters..... the two managers will be made into one with selection from Store Manager...... but only when another Manager from the store leaves so that the dis-places Manager can move into that, so no time limit.

SpudChucker1970

What about in a superstore when there is:
- 1 bakery manager
- 1 dairy / counters (all of them open) manager
- 1 produce manager ?

Think it would make sense to combine bakery/counters and then dairy/produce but haven’t heard anything.

Ay up me duck

You will find if you have a dairy/ counters manager in your store then they are already contracted as a fresh manager so not affected by the change.

beentheredoneit

Well as the new stock admin manager has now started, after a great many years, i am no longer a stock manager. (although contract still states that)
Supporting grocery until either I leave, die or they make a decision.
Not great mental health wise.
Still trying to be optimistic.
beentheredoneit

Wirey2020

According to the union you are to remain in the role until a decision to the contrary!

Ay up me duck

You should have been asked if you would like to take the role.  If you didn't say yes then Tesco is free to fill that vacancy. You are still in the same store in a management role so technically nothing has changed. You are at risk now of having no role at all, moving to another management role is a reasonable request. As the moving people around the business policy tells you, decline a reasonable alternative position you are declining a contract. It is not a redundancy situation so good luck when you leave 🙈

Wirey2020

Not of the entire process and logic behind the “removal” of role is dishonest.

Mildew

Quote from: beentheredoneit on 10-07-20, 11:26AM
Well as the new stock admin manager has now started, after a great many years, i am no longer a stock manager. (although contract still states that)
Supporting grocery until either I leave, die or they make a decision.
Not great mental health wise.
Still trying to be optimistic.
Sorry I’m lost?! Supporting grocery is not a vacancy. I don’t understand the position you are in?

King1999

Suprise, suprise they are just using you.......like all of us.

Me2015

Quote from: Ay up me duck on 10-07-20, 09:19PM
You should have been asked if you would like to take the role.  If you didn't say yes then Tesco is free to fill that vacancy. You are still in the same store in a management role so technically nothing has changed. You are at risk now of having no role at all, moving to another management role is a reasonable request. As the moving people around the business policy tells you, decline a reasonable alternative position you are declining a contract. It is not a redundancy situation so good luck when you leave 🙈
That’s not correct! Just because you are a manager doesn’t mean you must any any managerial role just because it’s being offered!  Yes the role of food stock manager is no longer part of the structure but that’s the company’s decision not the individual who has chosen to stay.  There are a vast array of reasons for a role to be unreasonable; child care, personal circumstances, health, the list goes on!

Don’t let them bully you into a move you don’t want to do, they can’t force you to make a move you without bullying and intimidation then that leads to a claim at an ET

Mildew

Quite Me2015! That’s why I don't understand beentheres situation at all?

Ay up me duck

Using the moving people around the business those things would be taken into consideration. However 80% of a managers role is the same across all line managers job descriptions so moving into another manager role is reasonable. No different than a colleague on BWS moving to grocery or produce.

beentheredoneit

I have moved away from the role to enable the new stock admin manager to do the whole job.
I have declined all other offered positions. So I currently am a manager of nothing. My sm asked if I could support our placement twilight manager as the other vacancy will not be filled (we should have 2 twilight grocery managers - I have already turned down the role) until i leave or someone else is appointed.
Agreed, a very strange arrangement and certainly not sustainable arrangement.
As this is a soft change, I cannot be forced to take another role under any 80/20% rule.
So it is obviously a stalemate.They will continue to pay me my (near top of scale) salary for doing a job of sorts with no responsibilities or accountabilities (other than as duty manager).
Hopefully someone with power will intervene and get this sorted asap. It may sound an ideal position but is causing alot of personal stress and anxiety.
beentheredoneit

Mildew

Utterly bizarre, I am not and will not be budging.

Ay up me duck

I have been informed today that in week 23 they will be reviewing the heat map for colleagues and moving hours round the business. As a stock manager I will ve asked if I will take stock and admin role through reasonable alternative role. If not I am then making myself out of a role and my Ushaw rep has said this is correct. Has anyone else had a meeting

stockstaffreduction

Sounds very odd to me. The heatmap normally drives the colleagues working hours and is separate from the Management Structure Changes ( in most cases ).
I would advise you to ask for these meetings to be documented and that you have a solid rep present. Your Manager and People Partner would not object to this if they were 100% confident that what they are asking you to do is as per company policy.
Maybe youre the first stock manager to be pushed using this process, so I am interested to see the outcome.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk