News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

12-05-24, 05:52PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 5,903
  • Latest: imprint
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,502
  • Total Topics: 644
  • Online today: 515
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 468
Total: 471

Backdoor accidents

Started by Chairswan, 18-05-06, 03:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PitseaSuspect

Chairswan - We have a scissor lift on one bay but you might as well just push the cages up the ramp its so slow and it starts shaking once it gets about a foot away from the top.

bdman - Well I've only just comback to the job been doing it for about a year now but i worked on backdoor previously but i never heard bout it. Probably true, we've got all our new uniforms so everyone has hi vis and toe's. Now we do take it calmly the amount of stuff they throw into our store sometimes you end up gettin home and fallin asleep. It could of been on nights but i dont wanna get into this whole 'its days/nights fault' argument.

bdman

PS - Apologies I wasn't trying to entice you into a Days vs Nights slanging match. Bearing in mind who you have on B/Door at night I wouldn't want to get into one either (lol). Just wondered, with your earlier comment about lack of a T&F team what the difference was to the last time the company had the T&F fad

The Mrs

A delivery to an extra store from Southampton last night - for the life of me which store escapes me at the moment. A pregnant backdoor lady had a cage fall on her and was taken to hospital. I hope her and the babe are ok.

bdman

Echo your sentiments, TM
With the lack of any further facts, it does beg the obvious question as to why this woman was working on the B/D either in her job role or helping in a T&F team.

Chubbychaser

I'm sorry but what was a pregnant woman doing unloading a wagon in her condition :o ???

I was reliably informed that a store in my region DO NOT train their backdoor staff, I hope the manager that runs the department gets his neck on the line if anything happens in there one day. >:D

PitseaSuspect

Did she not challenge the idea of here unloading a delivery ?

We had something similar well i suppose, i was asking for a tip and fill team and i was a guy who is around 30ish and has down syndrome. Dont get me wrong im not trying to poke fun at this guy but i refused him to work with me simply because he was a danger to me and himself.

bdman - you mean what the difference is when we had a tip n fill team? Sorry im bit stupid hence being in Pitsea

The Mrs

OK, more details as told to me (I wasn't there)

It was at Littlehampton store. The lady had no safety boots on. The driver queried this with her, it was brushed off. She was on her own. The driver queried this but it was brushed off. The delivery was in the yard (not on bay) by tail lift (no sideguards). The driver put a cage ready, as he went back for another he heard the scream and crash. He then found the lady on her back, with the cage on top of her. A Manager rushed out (he'd heard the crash) and together with the driver they got the cage off her. The Manager told her "you should have waited for help".

So looks like the lady and the driver are equally to blame, along with the fact that she was on her own and there were no sideguards on the tail lift. She shouldn't have done it and the driver should have refused to let her.

Still hoping the lady and her babe are ok, I've not heard anything more.

bdman

"The Manager told her "you should have waited for help"."

So it would appear that mm were aware of or instructed her to work on the B/D.

Jaycloth

I wonder how much "pressure" she was put under. There is such a thing as perceived pressure, I've seen this at work in my store. Staff are unsure of their rights, concerned about being "taken to the office". Education about staff rights is not forthcoming and needs to be higher on the agenda. I hope mother and baby are alright, life is precious.

The Mrs

She is this stores "back door person", so yes he knew, it is her job to be there.

Sanmay

Why was she still working on the backdoor whilst pregnant.  First thing when a lady gets pregnant is a risk assessment has to be done.  Any proper risk assessment would say, take her off the backdoor. :(  It is not a job for a pregnant lady - at any stage of the pregnancy.

The Mrs

I don't know, Sanmay, but all the drivers know her as the back door lady, so she must have been working there through her pregnancy so far. A risk assessment can't have been done or it's been ignored. Or it's a classic case of different interpretation of the rules by different stores again.  :(

Jaycloth

Reading this thread disturbs me. Quite obviously a pregnant lady shouldn't be doing such heavy and demanding work, even if it is her regular job. Likewise any person who might have a temporary injury should be given lighter or more suitable duties. Again, there are times when two people are required to perform a task, pushing a heavy cage up a slope for example, but oft times this is made difficult by shortages in staff and pressure is brought to bear. An example of this: Runner refused to push cages up slope on their own, was told they would be disciplined. This treatment is unacceptable, but often the staff member will acquiesce for fear of inferred discipline or future unwelcome actions. 

The Mrs

I've now heard that she suffered a broken ankle. The cage was full of cartons of orange, must have been bloomin' heavy.   :(

found it

Sorry to hear of the pregnant ladys' accident hope both are doing well in thier recovery!

Back door training only exists in my store if I train them myself.
Have been on the door for about 8 years full time nights and on Sundays when I was on days before that. (Just coming up for 15 years service) Best bit is when you train the newbie night warehouse manager, they have to listen to learn! Great fun, But all in all hard work if they can't pick it up straight away.

My store (think is oldest in the south) Has tip n fill on days simply because the store manager insists on it, but come 22.00 every night, it's M****s' here let her get on with it.

Don't want to start day / night argument, but why do they whinge so much about doing the job without tip n fill.

floors still not repaired yet another report in mainenance book!!!!!
Red heads have more fun!!!!

PitseaSuspect

Full of orange yeh thats heavy its bad enough when snodland put them on 4 sided cages with square wheels. Feel sorry for the lady I've broke my ankle before :'( its not the nicest thing.

What store are you at -found it- I've done about 3-4 years on back door at Pitsea in Essex, your managers sound the same as ours but they never listen or want to pay any interest. Tip n fill is no existant at the store apart from when you get a non food delivery but when the 36 tonne comes in for grocery, your on your own. We have written in our log book for ages that our yard as gaps in the concrete the width of grand canyon but no one listens. We hopefully getting a new senior manager for grocery so hopefully we can get things straight.

found it

Well pitsea it nice to know i'm not on my own. I'm a bit further south than you, I work at Bursledon towers, Just outside Southampton.

We have just had a new senior manager start and I thought "great" might get some issues resolved. FORGET IT, He's just like the rest.
sees that your capable of the job and lets you get on with it!!!!!

Tip n fill only happens when late shift leave me 3 or 4 lorrie, but even then I don't hold my breath. Last month lates put weybridge on the bay at 22.00 and when I finish at 06.30 I put number thirteen on the bay for days to start, that lot also includes 3 bread and 1 milk.

All the floors in and around backdoor and warehouse are breaking up, and nothing seems to be getting done, except the little holes, the craters are getting bigger.

All the best with your new manager pitsea, but don't expect mirracle. 

found it

just a quick update on my last post. Heard this week that head office have been out and checked the state of the floors in the warehouse. Now we play the waiting game! Not going to hold my breath that anything is going to be sorted till after Christmas or the new financial year.

munterrocko@yahoo.co.uk

has any 1 seen that eddie stobart video on u tube its great its called stobarts at macc 2 and whot happens the driver drives straight past the gate on a 1 way road gets 2 the round about turns and starts driving bck up the 1 way system in rush hour anyway he drives up drives past the gate again and starts reversing in a bad position ahh u should watch it coz all the driver had 2 do was pull up oppersite the gate and drive in but this idiot had 2 do it the difecult way whot a laugh :D

Faceandgo

Its already been posted on here, you can find it in the transport section/are we all going to drive for eddie, reply 211

http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?topic=6226.0
take two cages onto the shop floor? not me i just faceandgo!(Administrator)

Time is too slow for those who wait
Too swift for those who fear
Too long for those who grieve  Too short for those who rejoice  But for those who love, Time is eternity.   -Henry Van Dyke

Chairswan

Yes & not forgetting the idiots on the backdoor without hi-viz jackets, especially in those weather conditions. >:(

PitseaSuspect

Not really an accident but could of been. We have two bays at our store one for fresh one for ambient. Monday our fresh bay dock leveller broke and wouldnt extend the flap. Reported to maintenance.

Tuesday came in still not fixed i know this is wrong but we pulled the flap out itself. During Tuesday myself and the other backdoor men decided that if its still broken today (wednesday) then we will not use the fresh bay until its repaired.

Come wednesday still not fixed refused to work on it and management threw a strop and even suggested that will we use the bay if two managers pull the flap out. We still refused.

Just pointing out how bad it is sometimes, should be repaired tomorrow (thursday)

Chairswan

Just shows how persuasive mm can be doesn't it  >:(
I'm suprised they didn't get their fingers chopped off by the folding ramp if it were to spring back down. >:D

PitseaSuspect

Yup i wish they did get their fingers chopped off  >:D Just to update but on thursday last week the dock leveller still wasnt repaired so everything on Friday came off of one door not sure if its fixed yet I've been off with bad back :(

PitseaSuspect

Had another trailer hooked on our wall saturday night, got a video too :D this time Polish Unity driver >:D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk