News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

13-05-24, 08:23AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,507
  • Total Topics: 644
  • Online today: 497
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 468
Total: 471

Backdoor accidents

Started by Chairswan, 18-05-06, 03:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redstar

heard today that a fresh driver lost a finger whilst delivering at a store as the store were so keen to improve their turnaround times that there was a scrum to get the wagon unloaded and in the ensuing chaos a strap "bit" his finger - ouch !

let`s be careful out there .....?

Tenko

Talk about back door gates, ours dosn't work and so we have to use a heavy chain and padlock to keep it closed. Not a problem opening as the left side will swing right over, you have to push the right side open. The fun starts when you try to close them, when you pull one closed so far you have to let it go to run quickly to the other side and do the same with that side....then run back and catch the other side and pull it as fast as you can before the other side swings back out of reach....you get the picture. So its back and forth until you can catch both gates with either hand, then your stood there like Samson between the pillars, except your pulling not pushing

On the plus side, it can be quite amusing watching someone trying this in a howling gale and rain

i have none

Sanmay

;D ;D :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Really sorry Tenko, no disrespect intended,  but I have such a vivid imagination.  I also pictured it with the manager I dislike the most - in the pouring rain and falling flat on his face :D  :D :D

Sanmay (Moderator)

Tenko

The backdoor man on Wed night looks to have broken his foot. Our scissor lift has a heavy metal retaining flap that has to be upright for the lift to work. Well the lift was down and he went to push this flap down, usually you have to put all your weight on it to push it over onto the deck as it has a big spring which holds it up.....the spring is broken and it came crashing over on top of his foot, hitting him where you tie your laces, luckily he was wearing safety shoes or it could have been much worse.

Thats not the best, apparently the dayshift backdoor man done the same thing the day before, it raked right down his shin, he is off on the sick......duty mm thought not to inform nights of the potential risk :(  :-\  :-\ [V]

i have none

Geezer100

Gate hit again!
MM will insist on letting the card be in the yard against the risk assesment, and this is the result. Driver damaged fridge on trailer, and ripped ABS lead out of unit, and couldn't be replaced. Had to return empty and transport "Would divert someone in" That happened at Lunchtime, and by 10pm, no-one had turned up. Hmm, there's a suprise

toonbarmy

geezer get your gaffers to ring up statin its a health n safety risk u need your rsu pickin up that usually works

TOON4LIFE

Geezer100

Toonbarmy,
1: please try not to use text speak, even myself a 'young un' finds it difficult to understand.
2: Middleton Comp are almost impossible to get empty trailers out of for RSU.
I have known it a few times, twice when a senior manager above store level was helping out and made a phone call. (I think he was the group warehouse champion or whatever it's called) The other occasion's when my manager has rung planning at the DC and had a moan because they had mucked up and given us too many backhaul's in a week. Last but not least when transport are bribed with doughnut's from the store ISB.

PitseaSuspect

Havent had an accident yet on Backdoor but alot of the time when we load up RSU at Pitsea and we get alot of the old trailers in without side flaps we often have to use a cage next to the tail lift to stop any cages falling off the sides it helps but i must admit for as long as i can remember in our department log book we have been recording that we have no side guards and yet nothing is done about it. Its just taken us about 2 months to get a thin pallet truck for them stupid coke dollies on them euro pallets. At one point it took 4 of us (me a driver and 2 guys who help tip n fill) to move one of these with a broken truck. When you have managers banging on about how they need the stock and tip and fill teams it doesnt help and sendin the load back is never a question to me mentioned to a manager. Just for the record we had 10 of these coke pallets.  :( Needless to say we got them off ..

RttK

PitseaSuspect, no idea if you use the same sideguards as us - I'd assume so, but I know as an Express we generally get smaller lorries, you can order them through HOST. They're not cheap at all, but it's a real H&S risk without them really.. especially when tipping rather than filling...

PitseaSuspect

Yeh Pitsea a bigger store an Extra, thats the problem its the cost .. the store doesnt want to fork out for them as i mentioned about the pallet trucks they couldnt order them becuase they had to wait till the end of the period to get more money. Put it this way we have a reach truck that as been in the store for about 30 years if that went it would never get replaced

POA Billy

Would it also be a problem that you try to load 3 cages at a time ;)

PitseaSuspect

Yeah that could be the issue Hmm you pickled me on this one its worth a mention to the guys if we get a trailer without side guards.

BJW50

Try telling manager that driver is refusing to unload unless done the "TESCO WAY"  ;D(copy is on this site). Beaware if you do have an accident the first thing that will come up will be YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT THE SIDE GUARDS, and we did not tell you too.

Sanmay

My understanding of H&S ruling is that lack of funds is no excuse.  ie if a H&S grievance were taken out (and I do not understand why one has not already been taken out if you have been so long without side guards) then the excuse of having to wait until the end of the period would not be acceptable to the H&S Executive.

POA Billy

It cannot just be down to cost, because whilst refusing to tip at Cheapside who had no sideguards, they sent a cab round to Bishopsgate to collect theirs and then send them back after tipping, very economical NOT :D

PitseaSuspect

Some very good points, but in all honestly going off the side guard subject it really did take us very long to try and get through to our managers about orderin a slim pallet truck due to our department apparently not having the funds and i appreciate the H&S Executive will not find this a good excuse to not have the rightr equipment. However when H&S safety or regional managers come to the store everyone panics once they are gone it all goes back to normal to nobody giving a to**. i actually went to my personnel manager the other day because it feels like we are gettin ignored on the back door, one morning last week i wanted to show the duty manager the mess the night crew had left i got several tannoys, i even caught the manager on the shop floor and said look can you come in the warehouse i want to show you the mess, i got the usual response 'Yeh ill be there in 5 mins'. I waited for about an hour before getting the hump and going to see my PM and slo the only other managers that seemed to care was the dot com manager. Sorry if this post sounds pointless and a bore to read  :(

PitseaSuspect

I might even mention a H&S grievance to my store steward :) thanks for the tips guys ..
PS Avoid Pitsea lol

Chairswan

Pitseasuspect - I'm not being funny but why can't you reload your empties at the dock where you unload?
Or am i missing something here ???  :)

PitseaSuspect

Becuase on our Snodland bay inside the area is too cramped to hold 44/45 cages of card or 60 odd stacks of dollies, in the morning it isnt too bad but time the after evenin comes the area is used as a part of the non food pallet space. So we cant hold the cages up there, once we tipped we could walk a cage at a time up the slope from the yard but it takes way to long as the tip and fill team is non existant (loading or unloading). I see your idea though it has been tried several times before but its down to lack of space, if we could clear the area and keep it clear then it could be done. But then it goes down to where do the non food put their pallets that get delivered there isnt enough room upstairs or anywhere to hold them.  It has been tried though.

PitseaSuspect

Same goes for the other door (Thurrock end). We dont have enough warehouse space to hold 85/90 cages even if it is a short amount of time. :(

bdman

"tip and fill team is non existant" - PS

I'm surprised, your T&F team at one time had an infamous reputation lol!

found it

Some of the cages that get trunked from Fastways, Thurrock, Coventry and daventry are something to be desired at times.
You only have to move it an inch and the stock falling off moves it the rest.
My main gripe is the state of our warehouse floor, it's got more pot holes in it, that are on a par with the worst road in Britain.
Yes it has been put in the maintenance book and
Yes it has been put as an H n S issue.
Both myself and the drivers have had near misses of cages toppling, or trying to get the B****y cage out of the rut or pot hole.
Some progress has been made with minor holes, but the main delivery are is just AN ACCIDENT IN WAITING.
Red heads have more fun!!!!

PitseaSuspect

We have never have any tip and fill apart from the odd person who has there lunch or home time to go in 10mins and they wanna get away with working.

Chairswan

Pitsea I take it you don't have a scissor lift like many stores?

bdman

PS - Must have been Nights then. About 3 years ago your store had a reputation for all boarding the wagon together without the safety shoes, Hi-Viz etc. I believe a couple of minor accidents happened. Anyway all this resulted in a covert visit from a Snodland Transport MM & in the end your store got a letter telling them to calm it down & abide by the H&S guidlines. Heard quite a few funny stories from drivers about their experiences there & the arguments they had with your mm over abiding by the rules

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk