News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 01:38AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,361
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 390
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 355
Total: 356

Pandemics & Tesco's policy

Started by Orangutan, 24-02-20, 09:51AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VladPutin

Quote from: expressman77 on 15-12-20, 07:06PM
Quote from: VladPutin on 27-11-20, 09:47AM
Tesco closed down staff canteens - while keeping the subsidised restaurant at head office, of course  - meaning tens of thousands of staff have to start work on freezing winter mornings without a hot breakfast. Tesco refused to pay the cleaning companies extra to pick up broken glass etc, so GA's have to risk getting cut by doing it themselves.

Every decision Tesco makes is based on the desire to make as much money as possible for the senior staff, and to Hell with everyone else. Head office couldn't care less about easing congestion in the stores; it's all about getting as many punters through the doors as possible, so the board can, "earn" their bonuses.

Anyone who thinks head office gives a damn about the real workers hasn't been paying attention.  8-)

Staff can buy food to eat in the shop where they work,  head office believe it or not is an office,  no food available to buy anything .
And fancy working for a company who want to make money , whatever next .
Think i aggree with you ,it would be so much better to work for a company who want to loose money and close down

You obviously don't work in a store, or you wouldn't post such drivel. Allow me to elucidate.

Many staff begin their shift before checkouts are open, so they would have to buy their breakfast during their actual break, then wait in line to use the staff canteen microwave. All of which takes away time from their actual break. Unlike head office, where, "work" consists of coming up with brilliant ideas like replacing plastic bags with paper ones that are utterly useless, store staff actually carry out a vital job. One which involves a fair amount of physical effort. They shouldn't have to spend time waiting in line to buy food, then heat it up, all before they can sit down and relax.

If the company was serious about saving money, they'd fire a significant percentage of head office staff. They produce nothing of value.

VladPutin

Quote from: NightAndDay on 15-12-20, 07:37PM
I normally work in an office and can buy hot food (at the moment working from home). I work for a business that is highly profitable and everyone at all levels is treated with respect and dignity, my employer is the worlds most ethical employer.

As extreme as Vlads posts are, they are none-the-less mostly accurate, there's making money and there's doing so by making unethical and short sighted decisions that they will see the consequences of in the long term.

Obviously not Tesco, then! :D ;D

expressman77

Quote from: VladPutin on 15-12-20, 10:55PM
Tesco closed down staff canteens - while keeping the subsidised restaurant at head office, of course  - meaning tens of thousands of staff have to start work on freezing winter mornings without a hot breakfast. Tesco refused to pay the cleaning companies extra to pick up broken glass etc, so GA's have to risk getting cut by doing it themselves.

Every decision Tesco makes is based on the desire to make as much money as possible for the senior staff, and to Hell with everyone else. Head office couldn't care less about easing congestion in the stores; it's all about getting as many punters through the doors as possible, so the board can, "earn" their bonuses.

Anyone who thinks head office gives a damn about the real workers hasn't been paying attention.  8-)

Staff can buy food to eat in the shop where they work,  head office believe it or not is an office,  no food available to buy anything .
Think i aggree with you ,it would be so much better to work for a company who want to loose money and close down

You obviously don't work in a store, or you wouldn't post such drivel. Allow me to elucidate.

Many staff begin their shift before checkouts are open, so they would have to buy their breakfast during their actual break, then wait in line to use the staff canteen microwave. All of which takes away time from their actual break. Unlike head office, where, "work" consists of coming up with brilliant ideas like replacing plastic bags with paper ones that are utterly useless, store staff actually carry out a vital job. One which involves a fair amount of physical effort. They shouldn't have to spend time waiting in line to buy food, then heat it up, all before they can sit down and relax.

If the company was serious about saving money, they'd fire a significant percentage of head office staff. They produce nothing of value.

Yes I work in stores and thanks for your education obviously from all your comments
Better ones and more organised ,
But then yours cant be that bad as you wouldn't still work for Tesco,
Regardless of all your moans and rudeness to others..
I dont know what you do but you sound like so many stock controllers I know .
Always knows best and us the hardest working person in the store, don't like how the
Company makes profit but dint mind taking any bonus they offer, or do you hand them back
As a protest

Redshoes

We have free bread in our canteen. As the drinks are free you can help yourself to a hot drink and toast. We don't have the free fruit just now because of covid but I hear some stores still provide. A free hot drink and toast is basic and the resturant meals in head office are subsidised. I would not pay resturant prices daily, even though not at full price. Some in my store keep a box of cereal in locker. Some bring in packets of porridge. Some bring in beans and have beans on toast. None of these need great organisation.
Some places of work provide free meals. Some have shower rooms and gyms. Some jobs also pay a lot more than we get.
We are not perfect, we can't pretend we are but I don't really miss the canteen food that often. Despite a few attempts to change it was not healthy. Unless you were lucky enough to be able to go for breaks as the food went out it was not that great.

VladPutin

Quote from: expressman77 on 16-12-20, 01:25AM
Quote from: VladPutin on 15-12-20, 10:55PM

Yes I work in stores and thanks for your education obviously from all your comments
Better ones and more organised ,
But then yours cant be that bad as you wouldn't still work for Tesco,
Regardless of all your moans and rudeness to others..
I dont know what you do but you sound like so many stock controllers I know .
Always knows best and us the hardest working person in the store, don't like how the
Company makes profit but dint mind taking any bonus they offer, or do you hand them back
As a protest

You, "work in stores"? Given your lack of basic grammar and slavish devotion to the company line, you must be a manager. In which case, you don't actually work at all. :D ;D

Managers get bonuses. Real workers like me get a few quid extra for a couple of weeks and a £20 gift card. 8-)

VladPutin

Quote from: Redshoes on 16-12-20, 03:36AM
We have free bread in our canteen. As the drinks are free you can help yourself to a hot drink and toast. We don't have the free fruit just now because of covid but I hear some stores still provide. A free hot drink and toast is basic and the resturant meals in head office are subsidised. I would not pay resturant prices daily, even though not at full price. Some in my store keep a box of cereal in locker. Some bring in packets of porridge. Some bring in beans and have beans on toast. None of these need great organisation.
Some places of work provide free meals. Some have shower rooms and gyms. Some jobs also pay a lot more than we get.
We are not perfect, we can't pretend we are but I don't really miss the canteen food that often. Despite a few attempts to change it was not healthy. Unless you were lucky enough to be able to go for breaks as the food went out it was not that great.

"Mr Ambassador, with these free hot drinks and bread, you're really spoiling us!" 8-)

(An official Marvel No Prize for anyone who gets this reference. ;))

Theansweris42

There's a challenge, what could be cooked in the toaster that's still in the canteen, obviously toast itself but, bacon, burgers? Hmmmmmm, just thinking...

expressman77

I didn't use grammar as it would be wasted on people like you ,, 
Actually I don't agree with a lot of what Tesco do, I just don't s**g people off for sake of it.
Obviously some people would prefer stock  to come on pallets taking 3 hours to check off and put away,  staff to hand write  reducing labels,  having to price each item, employ staff just to keep loading up trolleys of beans and coke to put out on the shelves 1 by 1, staff having to count the warehouse every day.

Nomad

[admin]Topic is "Pandemics & Tesco's policy".[/admin]
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Nightproduceworker

Hi just a question on the isolation period, apparently if you been put in isolation from an alert on the NHS app due to someone being tested postive for covid in our Tesco( only a few got the message). I was told I can come back in 3 days early from my isolation due to new government guidelines for Tesco("retail").  An email was sent out apparently to Tesco management. Is this true? Cause I cannot see this on the Tesco website policy and Tesco wouldn't be breaking the rules aswell as myself. I understand it's Christmas week but surly that's not right?

dotnochance

Ask for a copy of the email, the only rule change that I know is isolation has changed from 14-10 days.

VladPutin

So, a second National Lockdown coinciding with a No Deal Brexit?

The words, "Perfect Storm" come to mind... :o

dotnochance

What a f****ng joke our store is now, those traffic lights are a waste of f****ng time, I’m sure some b*****d manager has covered the sensor, as our doors never close! the amount of customers in the store was phenomenal, in 15 years working in Tesco I’ve never seen it so busy, guess Covid is giving us a pass for xmas

VladPutin

Yup, same here. Four shopping days left, but you would have thought today was Xmas Eve. You could barely move for customers, and even though we'd had a big delivery, most of it was gone by lunchtime.

Like I said, a perfect storm: Christmas, Lockdown II and Brexit.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Should we panic buy?

Politicians suggesting no shortages  ;D
Sainsbury’s saying the fruit and veg will run out  (-*-)

dotnochance

Our toilet roll aisle is wiped

notsofunny

??? Had to go to get my medication from the Chemist , went past about 30 fruit and veg shops , all packed to the shy with fruit and veg so if Sainsburys say they  are going to run out I would say they need to sack the Buyers , or is it that they have so much they want to panic the public into clearing everything they have in stock  ???

And so what if I cant get my oysters or Bubbly its not as if we have any thing great to toast this x mas or new year what with so many dead or dying ,

I am seeing so much gloom talk I just wonder what happened to the great British bulldog spirit  and at the same time despair to think what would we do if we had to deal with a war like the ones in the past ,,, Flag up the white flag I would think  :(

dotnochance

No, they said they have lots of produce already IN the country but past Xmas with the freight ban with France! after Xmas might see problems, reason those and all shops have plenty of produce now, is that produce came in before the ban.

barafear

went in to work on the tills at Tesco yesterday to be told that all cashiers must now wear a mask all the time, despite being behind the plastic screen.

I asked "where has this come from?" - was told "the manager"

So is this Tesco policy or Govt policy or our manager?

How are you supposed to engage with customers wearing a mask all day?

Behind a screen.

With another screen behind your back (blocking the cashier sitting behind you) .

dotnochance

Quote from: barafear on 21-12-20, 03:00PM
How are you supposed to engage with customers wearing a mask all day?
the same way you do when not wearing a mask
I’m going to guess your in England and this won’t affect you since you don’t wear a mask and have a medical condition, you’ll be off since the announcement for all vulnerable and extremely vulnerable staff to stay home. Hope that helps and enjoy I’m your time off

notsofunny

Quote from: dotnochance on 21-12-20, 02:47PM
No, they said they have lots of produce already IN the country but past Xmas with the freight ban with France! after Xmas might see problems, reason those and all shops have plenty of produce now, is that produce came in before the ban.

I don't see the french or anyone else carrying on with the ban after all I would say that they cant have French farmers not being able to export all the produce they are growing let alone the other country's sitting around to and allowing the french or any other country from doing the same , Just heard that the same Virus has been found in other EU country's so it just could be that its to late for the french to carry on keeping the ports closed ,

dotnochance

I’m sure the French farmers will manage perfectly well with their other European neighbours

VladPutin

Quote from: dotnochance on 21-12-20, 01:58PM
Our toilet roll aisle is wiped

I see what you did there. ;D

grim up north

Quote from: dotnochance on 21-12-20, 01:10PM
What a f****ng joke our store is now, those traffic lights are a waste of f****ng time, I’m sure some b*****d manager has covered the sensor, as our doors never close! the amount of customers in the store was phenomenal, in 15 years working in Tesco I’ve never seen it so busy, guess Covid is giving us a pass for xmas

Good point. I went in my local T* today and never even thought of the traffic lights. But the shop was full of customers. Far more than has been since the pandemic started here. Shows that money comes before people's health

VladPutin

It always did. In spite of all the signs on the floor measuring out Two Meters, punters have ignored the Social Distancing rules since the beginning of the Pandemic. And Tesco did nothing to enforce them. But then, the people ultimately responsible are sitting on their backsides in nice, safe offices. As long as the money keeps coming in, why would they care? They're not the ones having punters literally trying to climb over them to grab things off the shelves.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk