News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

09-05-24, 12:41PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 5,903
  • Latest: imprint
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,488
  • Total Topics: 644
  • Online today: 240
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 504
Total: 506

Backdoor accidents

Started by Chairswan, 18-05-06, 03:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seanmclude

Its an accident waiting to happen. A dotcom driver has been given overtime to work on the Backdoor within the store tonight.

Guess how long his "training" was! The manager "training" him gave him 5 minutes quick show around.. because he had to go to a meeting... The driver was shown how to open the gate.. thats it. I questioned the driver on what he thinks would happen to him if he got hurt... He asked me how he can get hurt!!! s***!!!!

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

There wasnt even a wagon to show him how to correctly tip a wagon!

So im sorry for my rant but this is so stupid! Thats what you get when you have a new manager who doesnt know anything about anything on backdoor... The manager has a nervous breakdown and gets put onto a "cushty" department. Not my words but the senior team for non food. So yeah.  :-X

Jaycloth

From what I remember about backdoor duties, there is a bit more to it than opening a gate! This sort of decision by managers is verging on the criminal. In fact if something serious were to happen to this driver, criminal proceedings could be brought.

Vagrant

Did a week on shop deliveries last week in nw.
At a liverpool store (Allerton?) the dot com facilities had the builders in. Couldnt turn in yard due to builders cars so i asked back door bloke to get them moved. He asked if i could reverse out of the yard , into the traffic entering car park, and reverse into the yard. Of course the answer was no. The unauthorized vehicles were grudgingly moved.
Sale stores risk assesment gets you to back in blindside off the road which would be unnecessary if the bay wasnt full of empty cages and rsu (as per risk assesment!)
Glossop is another blind reverse off road which was made doubly difficult by the yard full of cages and rsu, and moreso the cages and pallets lined up along the road outside yard (Tesco Middlewich not accepting empty cages!!)
Where is the concern for H AND S at Tesco? Every store I visit I see issues and nobody seems concerned. DC'S are just as bad. Poorly loaded trailers, speeding shunters, shoddy drivers facilities(no bog roll, no soap, no hand drier/towel, no cleaner(?))
BUT WHATS THE POINT OF MOANING ? NEVER CHANGES ANYTHING! AFTER ALL WE'RE ONLY DRIVERS-WHAT CONTRIBUTION DO WE MAKE?!?!

Chairswan

Quite a silly accident happened at a store earlier this week:
Wiseman artic parked up to the bay, driver sent down the tail-lift after parking up before going to the warehouse to give in paperwork.
The dock leveller was put up onto the rear of trailer then the unloading commenced, after taking a few milk dollies off the wagon, the lip of the leveller platform collapsed sending the driver plumeting some few feet to the ground along with the dolly of cream that landed on top of him!  :o

The said driver was taken to hospital with several cuts & bruises fortunately no broken bones.

It turned out the driver didn't reverse up to the dock far enough for the platform to reach safely, which in turn caused the platform to collapse after a few dollies were alighted.  :-X

PitseaSuspect

The leveller must of been well off surely even if it wasnt fully on the trailer it still would of been help up by the tail lift that was lowerer, was the tail lift folded out fully ? and if it wasnt on the trailer must of been a nightmare getting milk cages off

tinner

Hi got a poser..this isn't tesco..
delivery to a supermarket..entry is not very safe due to residents parking cars on yellow lines..driver has tried the police no joy..was told to f*** off from resident.. shop staff tried to back in load but is not trained..who's at blame if anything happens to staff..the driver has been told to deliver it..

Seanmclude

Speak to the local traffic warden or council, if these people are parking illegally then there should be fines. At the end of the day its down to the driver, if the delivery would put the driver at risk then it should be avoided.

tinner

cheers halfajobbob,
the resident wouldn't move the car because it is a religious day for them..so he refused..they have now got it onto door..will pass advice to planner..who had snotty phone call from the warehouse manager(store had phoned warehouse), saying 'so what if the driver hit anything'... >:(

Seanmclude

Well double yellow lines do not disappear on religious holidays. Im sure he would be angry if his car was wrote off because he was parked illegally. Im sure an artic would cause more damage to the car than to the truck!

Seanmclude

Near miss today, driver coming out of our gates turned a bit sharp literally inches from destroying our lovely gate :)

The Mrs

PitseaSuspect

Wouldnt happen at our store, scissor lift doesnt even come up  :d:

Chairswan

Does it not go down (?))  :D

Sorry back to topic.  :-X

PitseaSuspect

It went down .. and now it stays down. Technically this isnt off topic as in the incident reguarding the scissor lift collapse or scissor lift is actually broken it has been reported many times, it was reported when it started to play up and yet nothing had/has been done about it.  :p:

So my store is also failing Regulation 9(3)(a)(i) of the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998   and  Regulation 5(1) of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 ... if im correct  ???

Jaycloth

If indeed these regulation are being broken, what action could the relevant authority take? Could the store be closed down or could the warehouse be closed? Or could a restriction on access be imposed? I suppose my final question is...Has the authority got any teeth?

Chairswan

I think Tescomenace has that issue correct.
If tesco are breaking the lift operations legislation & they can be in the poo, not that a few ££££ is going to hurt them anyway.  8-)

PitseaSuspect

Apparently we are awaiting quotes to get our fixed . ??? how long does it take to get a quote ? unless they are thinking of replacing the whole scissor lift. The other thing is if Tescos are breaking these rules .. who checks that Tesco or the store are doing something about it. The issues get written in our health and safety log books and a note is put in our instore maintance book but i do believe it is even noticed. For some reason now our scissor lift is half way up  ??? So is it half broken or half fixed ? :P

POA Billy

If you have an issue with the scissor lift or a dock leveler, make a request to the delivering DC's to send an assessor and a health and safety rep to make a decision as to the safety and workability of any alternative delivery arrangements, many stores with the same issues become tail lift deliveries until the problem is sorted, causing slower turnaround times, a need for more staff to service the delivery and very grumpy staff (specially when it's raining).

It is surprising how quick these things get sorted once it starts to effect the managers bonus :D

PitseaSuspect

Our is just for general warehouse jobs it doesnt get involved with deliveries although it is handy to bring pallet etc into the warehouse or out of it

POA Billy

You know you enjoy the exercise pulling heavy lumps up that ramp :D

PitseaSuspect

No no no Billy you have it all wrong, i accept pallets of for example shelving sign the right bits and let the department who the shelving it is for drag it up the ramp and anyways we have a ramp by our snodland bay that is less of a gradient.

We have had a change around recently so we dont have to use a tail lift for any tesco wagons coming in store now so its all good. Come and have a look  :d:

POA Billy

I would do but my visa has run out for Pitsea :D

PitseaSuspect

Are we that bad ? lol .. going back to the subject of scissor lifts, spoke to one of our regular IST while we was having a natter by the backdoor he phoned the IST dealing with the scissor lift and said it is due to be replaced, when ? i dont know .. as the firm Lonco who deal with lifts have done gone bust  :o

POA Billy

With many stores now about to refitted with double decker lifts perhaps you are also in line for that. >:D

PitseaSuspect

Who us ? We can barely keep a post in the ground to protect a wall for 6 months, ill believe it when i see it, anyway came in today our yard is empty or everythin and i mean everythin instead its all blockin up the warehouse

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk