News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:02AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 289
Total: 292

bereavement

Started by poppy1, 07-11-15, 10:31AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubyRed

I think the point is not everyone has the same family dynamics and managers should make decisions based on their understanding of the closeness of the deceased and bereaved.  It's not a one size fits all policy.  Although I do think our night manager taking a week off when his dog was put down was excessive.  He got paid for a day of it and was complaining he didn't get paid for the full 5!

Rad

Quote from: Englands_finest on 29-03-18, 08:10AM
What about wife's grandparents...would I be covered for time off or not as when I asked they said I wasn't covered but when I went deeper into finding out some facts it states everyone's circumstances are different and should be dealt with accordingly!!! The policy isn't specific as to who you have time off for but more for who your closest to etc...I had to take time unpaid to be with my wife and kids and then had to work a day back just so I could go to the funeral which I thought was wrong in my opinion

Everyone's circumstances are different.  In over 20 years I've never heard a request for paid leave for a partner's grandparents funeral. 

Welshie

From my experience they look at the overall picture , how close they are , how much contact you would have had with the deceased but also him much time you take off generally.  Ie are you the sort of person who uses any excuse to take time off ? (Not aimed at OP just in general) . I do know of someone who got paid when they took a night off for  their wife's grandmother's funeral . They arranged it in advance and explained the circumstances but this person didnt expect to get paid and was quite surprised they did however they hadnt had a says absence in 5 yrs .

Duracell

Quote from: Rad on 04-04-18, 10:12AM
Everyone's circumstances are different.  In over 20 years I've never heard a request for paid leave for a partner's grandparents funeral.

Indeed circumstances are different, I have had paid bereavement leave for my wife's Grandfather 3 days, 1 day on the day he passed away, 2 days, one on the funeral and the day after.

I had 5 days off for My Grandmother, and 5 for My Grandfather. I have also Taken 1 day for my Uncle.

To be fair I have always informed them of the Bereavement told them what I needed and never had an issue.

My stance has always been Relatives in law can qualify up to the same as Blood relatives, Especially if you have children because for example what might be my in law is my child's blood relative so while they too are suffering bereavement, Should I really be expected to pack them off to school at such a devastating time or leave them in anyone Else's care.
Bereavements are not just about the person who passes and their relationship to the employee, how bereavement affects the ones you love can compound how bereavement affects you, bereavement in my view is also about consoling and supporting those you love at such a devastating time.

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

kaled78

A colleague I work with has just been told they will have to use a days holiday for their mothers funeral,as they have already had their 5 days bereavement (she took a week off prior to the funeral), is this correct?

lucgeo

Unfortunately yes, though having said that, it used to be down to the PM's discretion, to allow longer paid leave up to two weeks ???

If your friend is dealing with her mother's arrangements, estate etc....and is finding it hard to cope, she could go to her G.P. and ask to be signed off due to emotional stress.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

kaled78

That's what I've told her to do, but she is just to dam honest.

lucgeo

Too damn honest to admit that she is grieving for her mother, and finding it all too much ???  :(

Tell the lady that she should be thinking of her own needs, if she's struggling now, then six months down the line, it will catch up with her and the management will have little sympathy, as empathy is not high on tesco management recruitment criteria.

Welshie

Surely most stores would expect a sick line for at least several weeks after the death of a parent . Maybe a more sympathetic approach by management would have been to suggest this rather than holidays, what complete b##tards !

JL

management and sympathy  ;D

madness

Management are not heartless cold people, when susan sicknote is off every fourth friday on payday she will have little sympathy given and be dealt wth usually as severely as possible if she is obviously pulling sickies, but if the same person has a parent or child die you can be damn sure there wouldn't be a manager  that doesn't act compasionately.

claden

Check out the latest policy 'time away from work' there is actually a separate bit about paid leave for a funeral which appears to be counted separately to bereavement leave.

QuoteIf you want time off to attend the actual funeral of a friend
or relative, then please talk to your manager about it.
Under normal circumstances the time off will be paid,
although your manager may ask you to make up the time,
or change your hours or shift to accommodate it.
The above is a direct quote. I'd go back to your manager and quote this policy they can pay you on top of the 5 days you've already had.

notsofunny

My understanding is that they could pay you for 5 days, after which if you needed time off then it would be unpaid ,Nothing says they have to pay for anything over 5 days ,

kaled78

this is what she has been told they would pay you for a relatives funeral,but only if it is part of the 5 days of bereavement pay you are entitled to,this is the maximum bereavement they now pay for full timers.they will give you more time off if required,but it must be unpaid/holiday/shift swap

lucgeo

What about attending a colleagues funeral. Should the management tell the attending colleagues that they MUST make back the hour or take it unpaid ??? ???

notsofunny

Quote from: kaled78 on 10-04-18, 07:30PM
this is what she has been told they would pay you for a relatives funeral,but only if it is part of the 5 days of bereavement pay you are entitled to,this is the maximum bereavement they now pay for full timers.they will give you more time off if required,but it must be unpaid/holiday/shift swap

I think it should stick to what it says in the book ,as to what you get paid for or not , that way we should have no one that can say he /she got paid for this or that .......

Equalizer87

When I was at Sainsburys  (I know boo hiss) I asked for a day off to go to my friends funeral after they were killed in a car crash, I even said I would take it unpaid.

My manager at the time offered me one hour out of my shift to attend it. I walked out on that shift and never went back. So it wouldn't surprise me if all the Supermarkets were the same.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

notsofunny

Quote from: lucgeo on 10-04-18, 08:35PM
What about attending a colleagues funeral. Should the management tell the attending colleagues that they MUST make back the hour or take it unpaid ??? ???

Yes ,since a colleague is not in the list of who you get to take time off for or not ,, after all if the funeral was on a day that someone was off from work on,  and they went , would they get time back or paid for it ? if not why ?

gomezz

Quote from: Equalizer87 on 10-04-18, 08:45PM
When I was at Sainsburys  (I know boo hiss) I asked for a day off to go to my friends funeral after they were killed in a car crash, I even said I would take it unpaid.

My manager at the time offered me one hour out of my shift to attend it. I walked out on that shift and never went back. So it wouldn't surprise me if all the Supermarkets were the same.

I think I would have also made the effort on my part to see if I could find someone to cover my shift.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Spidercatcher

Quote from: kaled78 on 09-04-18, 03:48PM
A colleague I work with has just been told they will have to use a days holiday for their mothers funeral,as they have already had their 5 days bereavement (she took a week off prior to the funeral), is this correct?

Whoever told your colleague this must either be an android or someone with serious mother issues.  Tell your friend/colleague to get a line from the doctor covering her/him for as much time off as they need. Losing a parent is a big thing, it affects one deeply. The poster, Lucgeo, who said that if they don't take the time off that they need to now, it will catch up with them, never spoke a truer word - believe me.

And especially if they're the ones running around dealing with funeral costs/house clearances/solicitors, etc. All that's draining in itself, it doesn't half take its toll.

I'm the last person to credit Tesco with much, but in my experience of losing a parent not so long ago, I have to say they were more than good regarding time off, etc.  FGS, they've just lost a parent, not a pet gerbil. They'll be all over the place emotionally. And quite rightfully so, it's a tough thing to have to come to terms with.

notsofunny

Who ever told them this is following what the rules are, after all we would all be the first ones to complain that someone got more than the other and it was not fair, If they had been given 1 day extra then What is to say that next time someone would not want or demand the same or more than the one day ?

Welshie

Quote from: notsofunny on 10-04-18, 08:59PM
Quote from: lucgeo on 10-04-18, 08:35PM

Yes ,since a colleague is not in the list of who you get to take time off for or not ,, after all if the funeral was on a day that someone was off from work on,  and they went , would they get time back or paid for it ? if not why ?
In our store last year 2 colleagues died , staff were brought in from local stores so anyone who wanted to attend the funerals could , this included managers , no one was ask to make up time . There seems to be huge differences from store to store on how these things are handled

notsofunny

so are you saying that to clear up the huge differences no one should get paid ?  and store managers should stick to the rules , so that no one gets upset about getting paid or not ?

Welshie

Not at all , seems to depend on how compassionate the sm is , it's very upsetting flooring a serving colleague . I think it shows great leadership to organise cover in this situation and was very well handled in my store . Maybe other Sam's could follow

Equalizer87

Quote from: gomezz on 10-04-18, 09:18PM
Quote from: Equalizer87 on 10-04-18, 08:45PM

I think I would have also made the effort on my part to see if I could find someone to cover my shift.

That option had already been exhausted by that point.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk