Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 06:32PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,117
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 297
Total: 301

Management Restructure?

Started by Tsportyhead, 13-09-16, 09:36AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duracell

Arizonarugby I certainly don't disagree,  the USDAW leaders do contribute to the spin wherever possible reflecting things positively, emphasising and promoting the positive side and not reflecting on the negative detrimental effects at all in some cases.

Their approach certainly could be a lot better.
Yet I also think that the membership's attitude needs to change also.

If members are unhappy we have to make it clear so that the leaders have to act on it.

For example

We are rapidly moving into areas where Employment rights are individually gauged.

The Equality Act.
Parental and Carers rights.

Employee management and consideration is becoming individualistic.
On that basis a forum that can decide change without the need for individual agreement or consent of the wider membership isn't fit for purpose in this day and age.

I have an opinion about current changes and how they sit in the grand plan. It pure assumption on my part so I won't go into detail.

I am disappointed in the reluctance higher up in the partnership at the lack of acknowledgment of the potential negative effects of change and the problems they can create.

"There is None so blind than those that will not see".

Proportion of blame... (If we are discussing blame) is less for the membership, but we must learn from experience that we must support each other even if individually we are unaffected.

Another example
For retail the pay review justified a cut for a minority in favour of an increase for the majority.
Where does that pay increase now sit in the bigger picture with all of the restructuring with more likely to come.

From a united union point of view, change should be considered as a negative unless there is a positive gain for all or the implication is fair and the same for all.

We should care and support another when they lose out to change, because quite frankly it is likely that at some point we will all suffer similar in turn.

I am happy to stand beside any member and fight for what they hold dear. I can't accept doing it for them without their support. Members have to stand and be counted too.

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

nolotil

I have been reading this thread from afar but I cant keep quiet anymore, seems to be that Duracell is trying to hijack this thread. Is it not about a management restructure?, this means job losses?

As I know around 40 managers are to be made redundant, yes managers so lets rejoice?!

This is just the start of a roll out at all distribution centres, so all in distribution will be affected.

Duracell I would love you to say your what role you have in the company and where you are based............... sssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Just waiting for some company orientated answer

Magz21

We know there are high up lurkers on this page.... guess we should expect a few tantrums now and then when we say stuff they dont like...boohoo!

Duracell

Quote from: nolotil on 22-09-16, 03:39PM
I have been reading this thread from afar but I cant keep quiet anymore, seems to be that Duracell is trying to hijack this thread. Is it not about a management restructure?, this means job losses?

As I know around 40 managers are to be made redundant, yes managers so lets rejoice?!

This is just the start of a roll out at all distribution centres, so all in distribution will be affected.

Duracell I would love you to say your what role you have in the company and where you are based............... sssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Please look at the thread closely, I am not hijacking the thread.

I have responded to a couple of points and posts directed at me.

Yes I am aware managers are going to lose their jobs. No I am not rejoicing its shocking, I actually believe if their operational workload is farmed out to other less competant staff because of inexperience it will cripple distribution. So I am not dismissing  the damage that is being done or defending the decision. Yet I do appreciate it could be a lot worse if they don't apply the pilot, and roll out the uncertainty to all at this time.

Is appreciating it could be much worse defending the company's decision of where to make cut backs, I don't think so.
I have seen some roll outs to all, lost jobs in the past and have been in the firing line myself with difficult decisions to make, with the damaging effect now being dealt with because the change wasn't suitable, just because I welcome a pilot rather than a compliance roll out style that have been quite damaging in the past, does not mean I welcome the changes.

Without being specific

Work level 1 Distribution .

For over 2 decades.
Never been a manager or had any inclination to be a manager.

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

nolotil

Quote from: Magz21 on 22-09-16, 04:26PM
We know there are high up lurkers on this page.... guess we should expect a few tantrums now and then when we say stuff they dont like...boohoo!

The high up lurker, seems like you Magz21, trying to change this subject off subject again.

Any job lost, is a family wage lost......... so boohoo

nolotil

Quote from: Duracell on 22-09-16, 05:26PM
Quote from: nolotil on 22-09-16, 03:39PM

Please look at the thread closely, I am not hijacking the thread.

I have responded to a couple of points and posts directed at me.

Yes I am aware managers are going to lose their jobs. No I am not rejoicing its shocking, I actually believe if their operational workload is farmed out to other less competant staff because of inexperience it will cripple distribution. So I am not dismissing  the damage that is being done or defending the decision. Yet I do appreciate it could be a lot worse if they don't apply the pilot, and roll out the uncertainty to all at this time.

Is appreciating it could be much worse defending the company's decision of where to make cut backs, I don't think so.

I have seen some roll outs to all, lost jobs in the past and have been in the firing line myself with difficult decisions to make, with their damaging effect now being dealt with because the change wasn't suitable, just because I welcome a pilot rather than a compliance roll out that have been quite damaging in the past, does not mean I welcome the changes.

Without being specific

Work level 1 Distribution .

For over 2 decades.
Never been a manager or had any inclination to be a manager.

Thank you Duracell, a most honest reply.

nolotil

Magz21, I really hope your senior position isn't put under threat

hardcore

Quote from: nolotil on 22-09-16, 05:37PM

Magz21, I really hope your senior position isn't put under threat

I am a TM in Distribution (Not Pilot DC) and right now it's a very worrying time for all. :'(
Word is the pilot is running well which is even more worrying (Rumour).
15 became 7 less than 30 days gone is this true?
No My Performance Meetings with 20 Team Members per crew and peak.
Buddy Clerks/Options running departments dishing mate's best jobs  :thumbup:
Distribution WILL fail! Free for all. Matter of time, 
Customers will suffer, 
Tesco loses Credibility,
Profits will dip
Someone has pressed Self Destruct
Transparency? Bo**ox!
Info Leaked on SM then Panic brief, emailed Brief with no more info
Ill Wife worried sick; kids worried, Mortgage, bills, debt
Commitment, Job Security they said
Am I Committed For Peak?
Is anyone right now?
Happy Christmas now get out!

hesketh

So what's your problem Number 4563425?  >:(

Duracell will now explain that it's for the best and how you brought it upon yourself anyway........ ???
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

dogslave

Here's the score as I see it. Tesco see they can remove an average of 10 mangers per site. With an average wage of 30k with pension and nat insurance payments. That's 300k per site saving.
some sites will loose less per site others will loose more.
20 plus dcs saving them  6million.
sorry to see anyone made redundant but there it is.

snowyowl

On a personal level I will be pleased when it gets to the Depot I work. I do have some sympathy for the wives and children of the affected but  I can't bring myself to have any sympathy for the spineless bunch who will say and do anything to suck up to senior Management whilst not giving a sh*te about the colleagues who's lives they are messing around with to the point of causing physical and mental illness. Have any of them shown any remorse for their actions, have any of them shown any consideration for the colleagues livelihoods. NO! So for me it would be a stretch to expect anybody to feel sympathetic. >:(

Magz21

Nolotil....

If you actually read any of my other comments, you would see Im not a manager. But think what you want. GA for 12 years and no intention of wanting to be a manager for this pathetic company.

Duracell

Quote from: hesketh on 24-09-16, 10:55AM
So what's your problem Number 4563425?  >:(

Duracell will now explain that it's for the best and how you brought it upon yourself anyway........ ???

Actually on the contrary, if the information coming out of the pilot DC's is the Pilot is going well, then I too think that is worrying, I had hoped that at least they had learned from their previous mistakes.

I have no faith in their ability to get anything right the first time. So if they are saying all is going well and to plan, it isn't really a pilot is it.

As for anyone Bringing it upon themselves, very few deserve compulsory redundancy. Although I can think of two in particular at the moment who warrent dismissal . Outright lying to the the media is actually gross misconduct. It would be so if anyone of us did so, but that's another discussion.

I do not support what the company are doing, I had brief hope that it would be done in the best way possible.

The plan for Distribution looks bleak if the operational side of management being done by other work levels is not done correctly.

To me a redundancy is a redundancy is doesn't matter what work level it is, it's still a person with commitments. I dislike in particular a compulsory situation. Really speaking with a company size it is doesn't need to happen.

I would like to have seen a compromise, a plan based on an offer of voluntary redundancy, then structure and action a plan based on the numbers that are to remain.

Duracell.

nolotil

Quote from: snowyowl on 24-09-16, 08:09PM
On a personal level I will be pleased when it gets to the Depot I work. I do have some sympathy for the wives and children of the affected but  I can't bring myself to have any sympathy for the spineless bunch who will say and do anything to suck up to senior Management whilst not giving a sh*te about the colleagues who's lives they are messing around with to the point of causing physical and mental illness. Have any of them shown any remorse for their actions, have any of them shown any consideration for the colleagues livelihoods. NO! So for me it would be a stretch to expect anybody to feel sympathetic. >:(

Snowyowl, that kind of attitude is just nasty. Some managers do actually care and will do that little extra to help colleagues

snowyowl

I can only speak considering my experiences and at my place of work and in my experience what are classed as Team Managers are not actually managers at all because they are not allowed to manage. They simply follow direction from senior Management and if that direction includes stitching a colleague up then so be it. This because they appear petrified of repercussions, hence spineless. You're right they are I'm sure genuinely nice guys amongst them but none of them seem to have the integrity to stand up to these Senior Management and say, "sorry I'm not doing that, because it's wrong" :-X :-X :-X 

crabbit

Livingston depot is in a bad enough state just now,dread to think what it will look like without experienced managers running the warehouse operation.
Extremely short-sighted view to gloat at others misfortune especially as its been alluded to that the changes to Distribution wont stop there :(
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

snowyowl

I'm not gloating, just emphasising that I find it hard to feel any sympathy for these people.  8-)

Duracell

Perhaps you should have some empathy then, I actually received some empathy from managers in a previous similar scenario I found myself in even though I had more options available to me.
Rest assured if they get this pilot wrong, we will all suffer. If they fck it up, who is going to pay for the mistake?

Who are paying for the previous mistake at director level, it isn't directors is it!

Duracell.

Riffle

Snowyowl, your are so right, reading you I thought for a moment we worked in the same store 😉
I wonder sometimes if SM are aware of what goes on when they are on day off as Senior managers seem to run the place as if no one can touch them, bulling and forcing team managers into detrimental actions towards GA.
I'm sure not all of them are like this (hopefully )
And try saying something!!! 😡

dilligaf

I think as in all DC's there will be good & bad managers but anyone being treated like this is horrible, Really all manager are now fighting for their jobs over the xmas period.. This wouldn't be nice for anyone not knowing if they are going to have a job come the new year...As Iv seen before in this great company they will do this & loss a lot of experienced managers & leave DC's being run by the new breed of company micro chipped clones...This dosn't look good for any DC in my view....For people to say they cant wait for it to come to their DC is awful & I really hope they are never in the same situation over the next months & years, because were all only 90 days away from being sent down the road if the great company can find a way of doing it...

optout

Firstly not all managers are bad. :thumbup:

But there are many managers who would actually go to the trouble of manufacturing reasons for sacking people or making people worry about losing their jobs, these managers are without empathy, they completely dehumanize their employees and wallow in the fear (in the employee) that they create as a mere pass-time. How many times have you seen employees being forced to just give in working and look for another job, just because their face doesn't fit and a manager wants to get their jollies.

For these managers I feel ZERO, ZIP, NOTHING, NADA, I hope that these mangers lose their jobs and end up in the gutter somewhere, and hope that their families (if they are aware of this behavior) disown them or that the same fate happens to them, they are after all living on the proceeds of the misery that said managers create for others. THEY DO NOT CARE ONE JOT ABOUT US AS LONG AS THEY ARE OK.

There are of course those managers (some of whom frequent this forum) that I do feel for and hope that they are the ones that keep their jobs. I feel just as much for them as I do for my fellow GAs.

Sorry about the negativity, but I have witnessed the misery that can be caused (just on a whim) to employees AND their families by managers who are s*** and not human beings in any real sense of the word. :thumbup:

I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Arizonarugby

I'm saddened to see that their are so many short sighted bitter and twisted sad individuals on this site (snowyowl, nolotil ...et al) who can see no further than there nose and try to impose their bigoted views on others

Let's put this in to context , managers are only imposing Tesco policy and procedures i.e. SYA, SYP (my performance) etc.

The union has allowed the company to introduce two tier pay and performance structures

The company is in the mess it is in because of decisions made by the board of directors

The current board of directors lack the ingenuity  vision and foresight to compete with the discounters , if Aldi,  Lidl Iceland etc can negotiate to sell products at price x , then so should tesco - of course that would mean the buyers would have to lose their backhanders

Nomad

"managers are only imposing Tesco policy and procedures i.e. SYA, SYP (my performance) etc"

There's an old saying speak as one finds.  While I would not use all encompassing language there are certainly some MM who are on power trips, and some who would go out of their way to help their staff.

Would you believe this website came into being partly because a manager wanted a 1mtre square piece of cardboard moved, and throw his toys out of his pram when he lost the 'battle'.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

blutopia

Most of us have witnessed or been subjected to disgraceful treatment from many Tesco managers in our time so I understand some people's first instinct to be unsympathetic at the prospect of those managers being made redundant.  In a sense, however, for those managers there is a greater tragedy than redundancy - it is realisation the company they sold their souls to will just as readily show them the door as anybody else when it suits.  It's not even as if Tesco's box-ticking will have equipped them to be a good manager anywhere else.  I think there is room for sympathy for them.

Arizonarugby

Quote from: Nomad on 26-09-16, 09:11AM
"managers are only imposing Tesco policy and procedures i.e. SYA, SYP (my performance) etc"

There's an old saying speak as one finds.  While I would not use all encompassing language there are certainly some MM who are on power trips, and some who would go out of their way to help their staff.

Would you believe this website came into being partly because a manager wanted a 1mtre square piece of cardboard moved, and throw his toys out of his pram when he lost the 'battle'.

Nomad

It is irrelevant why or how this site came in to existence , it supposed to be a medium for people to air their views, perhsps the manager should have reacted differently , but tesco has clear has you go policy , if you threw a piece of rubbish in street and was caught , you would be fined.

However, that's not the point , the point is that the company is taking short sighted and I'll thought measures to reduce costs

Example

Resent restructures resulting in redundancy or reduced hours /pay

Team Leaders  (store)
Night Replenishment (store)
Hygiene (Depot)
Staff Restuarant (Depot)
Managent Restructure (Depot)

And if we had a union with any kind of backbone or we had any kind solidarity with in our workforce this wouldn't,t be allowed to be happening , but instead we have all bought in to the Tesco ideology of I'm alright jack so **** you mate.

There is also an old "saying is don't tar everybody with the same brush" and the sad fact is that people / managers that you speak ill of are the ones who will most likely keep ther jobs, so all I can say is be careful what you wish for .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk