News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

26-04-24, 05:00AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 5,902
  • Latest: Adrian
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,414
  • Total Topics: 638
  • Online today: 746
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 492
Total: 494

Backdoor accidents

Started by Chairswan, 18-05-06, 03:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellyfull

Baldy- trevor-howe, if the floor has no "grip" what is the resistance you refer to?

baldy-trevor-howe

when you pull a cage from the trailer onto the scissor lift the floor of the scissor lift has what i would word has having no grip,ie the cage comes to a sudden halt,so you have to use force to get it from the front of the scissorr lift to the back ,the lift holds something like 15 cages,obviously light cages arent to bad but heavy cages,pallets or dollies are a nightmare.perhaps i havent worded it right but hopefully you can see the problem.

smitaly69

Deliveries at our store regularly turn up illegally,well overloaded, much too high,broken boxes of wines and spirits,and when you complain nobodys interested. Obviously the company has too much money ,but arent we share holders entitled to know why? Time we started voicing our opinions at agms.

Yin Yang

This is slightly off topic but relative I think in response to the last post.
I saw a part picked assignment in the dc yesterday 1 layer of wine boxes higher than the cage which was picked to cube.
Obviously a risk to H&S for some and at an increased risk to be damaged because it is not with the confines of the cage.
Feel free to challenge it and report it if it causes problems on delivery you will be far more successful than distribution staff who challenge as we often do so on speculative theoretical probability, the company are reactive and only seem to deal with loss and actuality.
Look it's damaged and that cost is, will be listened to far more than that's not going to help anyone and may get damaged.

smitaly69

same again today,no straps on a lot of cages,why dont they cling film all the cages ? Yes its takes time and costs money but saves loss and accidents,there is a machine that you can use to wrap pallets automatically so why dont they invest instead of agreeing to pay for accidents? We also do spot checks on cages,especially around bws,3 cages in 3 days had 5 boxes missing but nobody is interested at HQ because its not enough to claim for, thats 500 quid in a matter of days, poor stock control manager!

Yin Yang

Pmsl, have you seen the results of putting a roll cage on a shrink wrap machine.

picktocube

Quote from: smitaly69 on 26-05-12, 06:46PM
same again today,no straps on a lot of cages,why dont they cling film all the cages ? Yes its takes time and costs money but saves loss and accidents,there is a machine that you can use to wrap pallets automatically so why dont they invest instead of agreeing to pay for accidents? We also do spot checks on cages,especially around bws,3 cages in 3 days had 5 boxes missing but nobody is interested at HQ because its not enough to claim for, thats 500 quid in a matter of days, poor stock control manager! 

At our DC,we used to use the shrink wrap machine to wrap cages,but when the trailer you are loading is at the other end of the goods-out bays,it takes a while to take your cages there to shrink wrap them ,and take them back,when you have 10 loaders all doing this at the same time,it just becomes unworkable. We are a small DC aswell . The machine was removed a few years back ,but there are rolls of shrink wrap for the loaders to do it manually and the last 3 cages are all wrapped anyway.Also,have you tried unloading a trailer full of wrapped cages? It isn't fun.

HeadOfficeElf

@picktocube

I'm a shrink wrap fan, so I would interested in any issues we get moving cages around that are shrink wrapped.

magzy2998

Often find that cages wrapped don't need wrapping but those that do are not! ;)

[gmod=gomezz]No need to quote the whole of the previous post, so I have sorted that for you.[/gmod]

picktocube

As far as I am aware, the only cages that require shrink wrapping are the last 3 loaded,whether it is needed or not.

happygirl

sorry to hijack but have just rejoined as a supporter and i want to open a new topic and can't remember how to! Please help!

[admin]Go to the section you want, Stores-Transport-Etc. look near top on right for 'New Topic'.[/admin]

BLUEISTHECOLOUR

HAD A CAGE OF WINE GO OVER ON ME LAST WEEK THEN A CAGE OF BEER THIS WEEK DUE TO CAGES WITH KNACKERED WHEELS BEING USED I EVEN STUCK A YELLOW LABEL ON 1 AND THE SAME CAGE CAME BACK 2 DAYS LATER WITH THE LABEL STILL ATTACHED BUT NO REPAIR

[admin]Please do not post in uppercase as it is considered shouting. Nomad[/admin]

tumshie

have you reported these accidents and had them written in the accident book?

woody505

Had a delivery of fire works last night. Should i of had any extra training to be handling them?

keithwill73

Woody the answer is yes you should have had training. And if you havent had training you should have refused to deal with the delivery and passed it to mm

woody505

Do we get hazzard pay for handling fire works?

Tegai

Hazard pay! It's fireworks not Semtex,

BLUEISTHECOLOUR

WHILE I WAS ON HOLIDAY LAST WEEK I WAS TOLD YET ANOTHER CAGE WENT OVER BUT THIS TIME ON A MANAGER AND SHES GOT A GOOD BRUISE ON HER ARM THEN SHE TOLD ME IT HAD A YELLOW LABEL ON THE CAGE, DOES ANYONE ACTUALLY BOTHER TO LOOK AT THESE LABELS OR DO WE JUST WASTE OUR TIME  >:(

[admin]Lower case please, upper case is shouting, further uppercase posts will be deleted. Nomad[/admin]

picktocube

If they are sent back to the DC,separate from the other cages then yes they are put out for repair.If they are in the middle of good cages,they can be missed. Sometimes a cage is fine with no load on it,so can be missed. I would guess that we take out around 100 cages per shift to be repaired.

Jds6csi

Hi i also work on backdoor and pretty much every load is stacked c**p, rushed, thrown on top or what ever moood they seemd to be in, and although i know they lots of cages to stack its almost impossible to unload without things flying off as i can see is a huge problem everywhere, and as for last 3 cages being wrapped usually its not its all the crisps and toilet roll wrapped which is a waste as its not needed!! they always moan about waste and we need to reduce it and huge campaigns have been launched to solve it, well they could save a tonn just by using the wrapping off the dam loo rolls and use it where needed :) just one of the many things that grind my gears on back door lol they should send the pickers down to the stores now and again and make them unload the c**p they stick on then they could see how much of a problem it is(and prob go home covered inlumps and bumps :) )

gomezz

Reminds me of when I had a summer job working in a pallet factory.  The wood would come in on bundles bound up with metal strapping and boy you had to be careful stood on the bundle breaking the strapping with an axe as both wood and strapping could and did fly everywhere.   :o

Happy days!   8-)
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Jambinator

I have to say, being brand new to this forum but a Tesco employee, it makes me glad that our backdoor and yard are completely separate from dot com.

gomezz

If only!  No more clogging up with empty cages and other detritus yard space needed by the dot.com vans to manoeuvre into the loading bays.  No more waiting ages for someone to open the back gate or needing to traipse all round through the store to the back to do it ourselves.  We can dream.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Jambinator

The only thing is, out yard entrance is straight off a mini roundabout which means the wagon has to stop across the recycling centre if he shows up early, but there have been a few near misses with cars parked at the recycling centre when the wagon arrives, although the area round the gate is covered with double yellow lines.

HeadOfficeElf

Could the back door manager or team put polite notes on the cars that park where they shouldn't do?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk