News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 04:47AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,361
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 516
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 376
Total: 376

Backdoor accidents

Started by Chairswan, 18-05-06, 03:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oriver2

^
It's all going fine thanks.  Doing 'everything by the book' went out of the window on the first shift though...as always with Tesco, it's not really possible to do that and get the job done.  Luckily we don't have to go out in the yard at all when trucks are moving, they park up all by themselves.
What is it with customers pulling up in front of the exit gates?  That siren and the flashing light means you should probably put the phone down and get moving, ta.

Lord Melchett

I don't wish to make light of any of the serious issues on this thread....

But "Backdoor accidents" is just plain funny ;D.....and I've been driving lorries for nearly 25 years and "backdoor man STILL creases me up :D

Chairswan

Oriver2 - because some customers still act stupid even when they've left the shopfloor, they think because they've the equivalent of a week's wages of a GA everything stops around & for them.

Lord Melchett - what would you call a 'backdoor man'  (?))
"Member of staff who tries to tip n fill a wagon in the quickest possible time whilst chatting about their life story & moaning about the lack of overtime"  (?))  ;D

POA Billy

ReallyUnhappyGA

there have only really been two accidents i have witnessed whilst at the backdoor

*Two years ago, about November, i was helping tip and fill unload a fresh wagon as the scissor lift was being loaded, one dimwit (the dumbass who was working on backdoor) loaded the potato Mu's first and one slipped under the barrier and down to the floor....narrowly missing me and two others. Now i know no one was hurt but i thought it was worth a mention

*This one happens quite often to be honest and is quite worrying. Again while attending T+F the scissorlift was being loaded and one of the cages (this wagon was top up) was very poorly loaded and two cases of wine came tumbling off of the cage, one striking a colleague and the other just smashed and left us with lovely fragrance of red wine. It happens so often just now, not just wine but that's not the point

Chairswan

unhappy - were these incidents logged in the duty manager's book  (?))

Ancient

I am now working in the store where the accident with baseplate occurred earlier this year.

The employee is back at work after a long time off , he has limp and can't walk upstairs except by using his knee.

Serious injury.

I am concerened by the "trick "  some drivers have developed to improve angle of lift flap (involving jamming metal into hinge mechanism)

Chairswan

Can you please enlighten me on this so called "trick" they're using  ???
I used to work in a dock leveller store, it's the first time I've heard of it.

Gold_Alien

Where the hinge is for the dock leveller (between the main part and the little part that sits on the wagon) put a small piece of metal (usually a metal hoop from a strap) and let the dock leveller go to 'rest' position on the trailer. It creates a small ramp using the dock leveller.

Ancient

Quote from: Chairswan on 13-08-10, 05:39PM
Can you please enlighten me on this so called "trick" they're using  ???
I used to work in a dock leveller store, it's the first time I've heard of it.

Some drivers will jam a piece of metal in the hinge of the leveller ( which changes the angle of the flap...and probably damages the hinge)

one cell

There are some very innovative drivers out there, how clever of them.....NOT!!!!!

smeeties

i work on back door in a metro store. it's a pavement unload: wagon parks at the side of the road outside the store and we unload off the near/side of the tail lift. Fine for fresh delivery as almost all the new trailers they send (from livingston dc) have electric plates at the side/rear of the tail lift.

grocery is a nightmare - at least once a week they send us a wagon with no side plates on the tail lift. because we don't have a side plate in the store that we can attach (it broke over 12 months ago and still hasn't been replaced) or a guard rail for the other side of the tail lift it's SO dangerous to tip the delivery.

normally we would send the wagon back to the DC and get them to load another trailer, but lately the managers have started asking us to tip the delivery even if there are no side plates. i've started to refuse, but they just get other people to do it. no sign of them buying a side plate either.

Ancient

That's awefull. Call the confidential report line. Can anyone post the number?

[admin]http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?topic=10866.0#new[/admin]

woody505

Been back door now for about 6 months not signed for any training. Would this cause problems for me or just my manager if i had an accident?

specialdoor

If you haven't signed for any training you shouldn't be doing the job. Tell them you want your training record card up to date before you carry on, if they throw a wobbly get the union involved, they will back down.

If you have an accident and you have no record of training then they will try to blame you and you won't have a leg to stand on. Managers always make sure they get out of incidents by blaming others and it's easier to blame a GA.

certacito

Exactly as said above. if you havent the training for the job, you should be able to refuse to do it until your training card shows that youve been trained on it. By doing the job, you are taking a huge risk as if anything were to go wrong, they would use that to instantly make you liable for the accident being caused, no matter how it happened.

it might seem a pain to get signed off it, but if the paperwork shows that youve been trained and you continue to work to the procedures you were trained with, then that would greatly reduce the risk of them finding you liable for any accidents.

The Mrs

Tesco fined £48,000 for putting staff safety at risk after council prosecution

http://www.24dash.com/news/local_government/2011-03-30-Tesco-fined-48-000-for-putting-staff-safety-at-risk-after-council-prosecution

QuoteThe offences that Tesco admitted were:

1. Between May 27, 2009, and June 4, 2009, at Tesco in Warfield the company failed to provide a safe working system relating to the loading and unloading of vehicles; failed to provide information, instruction, training and supervision to operational and managerial staff relating to the loading and unloading of vehicles; failed to eradicate the use of an unsafe practice, namely the use of a metal plate to unload vehicles.

2. On 28 May 28, 2009, Tesco failed to notify the relevant enforcing authority forthwith of an accident that occurred to employee, Michael Cooper, at its Warfield store.

3. At some point between December 27, 2009, and January 6, 2010, Tesco failed to notify the relevant authority of an accident that occurred to employee, Anne Edmunds, at its Warfield store.

4. On March 26, 2010, Tesco failed to notify the relevant enforcing authority forthwith  of an accident that occurred to employee Vishnu Parupati at its store at The Meadows in Sandhurst.

I think this answers a lot of questions people have posted here.

Nomad

Having read many news articles from varying sources on this fine for breach of health & safety etc, I noticed the total absence of any comment from the normally ever present anonymous company spokesman, "A company spokesman said .... ........." normally followed by "it's an isolated incident."

Which raises another point, if anonymous posting/commenting is good for the goose it's good for the gander.

Perhaps the above are for another topic, my apologies.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Seanmclude

Has anyone else had trouble with the new style tail lifts on trailers? Due to our backyard being uneven and the dock being flat, if the trailer isnt perfect the sensors dont seem to work properly. So much so that we have to go to the side of the trailer and "short" it? Using a metal object to allow the flaps to come down? Someones toes nearly got squashed a couple of days ago because of this..

The Mrs

So don't do it! Report it through to the DC's, put in a request that you only get the old type trailers.

chris9997

All staff at our store on dairy nights have been "Trained" on the back door when everone refused to take a delivery as the back door man was being used to fill grocery.
Our training was thats the back gate ,thats the key ,open with key ,lorry reverses on the the bay thats the lift it goes up and down,please sign this.

Seanmclude

Thats awful training. I hope they didn't sign their training cards and refused to tip any deliveries.

Chairswan

Quote from: halfajobbob on 22-04-11, 01:23PM
Has anyone else had trouble with the new style tail lifts on trailers? Due to our backyard being uneven and the dock being flat, if the trailer isn't perfect the sensors dint seem to work properly. So much so that we have to go to the side of the trailer and "short" it? Using a metal object to allow the flaps to come down? Someones toes nearly got squashed a couple of days ago because of this..

First I've heard of this one, I assume these are the new trailers with hydraulic flaps (?))

Regarding these new tail-lifts, I've had a few runaway cages off the flaps, the tail-lift lands on the ground, the driver switches a flap to go down & the cage tips itself in it's own accord.  I believe this is to do with the uneven buffering underneath the lift itself, the only way I can remedy this is to hold the cage before the driver switches the flap down.
This may seem a nuisance, but trust me it's better then having a cage of loose tomatoes tipping over & trying to recover them from the tarmac.  :-[

Seanmclude

Yeah its the new trailers. Loose tomatoes going everywhere would be awful aha! We have the problem that if the trailer is too close to the door the flaps seem to be at a sharp angle. Thats when we have problems meaning the cages actually roll back and getting caught down the back of the tail lift which isnt fun!

woody505

Had an agency driver for goole he was pushing a cage of a waggon badly stacked and £120 of beer fell off and smashed. If he'd of been pullinng the cage could of been nasty

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk