News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

23-04-24, 11:36AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 5,899
  • Latest: dezza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,400
  • Total Topics: 637
  • Online today: 251
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 219
Total: 222

Backdoor accidents

Started by Chairswan, 18-05-06, 03:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geezer100

The salt mines aren't too far away. If we run out, I'll send a dot com van to the mines for some!

backdoor004

Here we go...   Agency driver coming form livingston pulls up at the gate, reverses on to bay and comes inside.   We have a two stage 9 cage scissor lift with two sets of front safety bars (with plunger stops) and one set of rear ars with eseentially a rod that goes into a hole.

Me and other back door guy both there, Me working lifft     him on lift.   checked the seal off and put up the lift.
Now  with the back safety bars you have to make sure the groove in the rod os on the latchy bit  but this clown decides to flick the bar up causing it to bounce off the back stop coming flying back down and knocking him out cold.

we got managers and first aiders and phoned depot who sent a guy to drop off a new driver and take the injured one away.   When he turned up about an hour or so later i was surprised to see him in aan artic unit. Turns out  they only have one van which was already picking up the driver who tipped on the a1.

backdoor004

wow    another one today.     Walkers lorry with barn doors rather than roller door was in,   we got him tipped no probs and he was ready to pull off .  as he did so he didnt notice the door comin unhooked from it safety catch.

now  my store has about a 2 foot gap either side of the loading bay space and his doors are about 3 foot.
Ended up punching a great hole in the cow shed and rippin out our loading bay light

we got insurance details and it has been phoned in, our useless maintenance guy will prob have it fixed in say   2 years maybe.

ixon

Being the main backdoor bloke on nights, I have one major problem that i've been trying to get sorted for ages
is that the light at the gate is not working, so can't see who there when they ring the bell.

Been moaning for months now for this to be fixed, to which it hasn't.

The only time this will proberly get fixed is when somebody tries to break in via the back gate.
& i can bet anybody £10 it be sorted the next day if this ever happens.

Down to accidents

I've luckily never had one im usually careful.

Basically some accident happen due to the constant lowering of the turn around time.
Rushing is something that shouldn't be done, when taking off cages filled with tins ect.

But some Managers don't see this, and constanly putting pressure of backdoor staff to tip & fill trailers to quickly
And one day somebody is going to get seriously hurt or killed under a heavy cage with a dodgy wheel, tipping over when it hits the ramp or comes
off the sissor lift ect.

loobylou89x

i use to work on the cust ser desk and decided to move to the backdoor for a change and when unloading a wagon, there wass direct catalouges on a pallet and i took them from the driver i was pulling them and he was pushing them and they wouldnt stop and crashed right in to me and i tell you something it bloody hurt lol

Chairswan

loobylou89x Welcome to VLH

Wasn't there another member of staff helping you out a the time (?))  :(

PitseaSuspect

I was doing the same with the catalouges the other day with one working pump truck which was the thin design and rubber wheels, 4 of them. They are heavy and just pulling them can be dangerous, we have an electric pallet truck but it is broken and apparently it is getting removed

loobylou89x

no dont have help late at night as duty manager is busy most o the time and we are running low on staff just me and the driver pure guy thought i was fine. but they are heavier than we either thought only been in the job a month lol

PitseaSuspect

Nice to see no injuries lately .. although i might add myself in this, had 3 days off due to pulling my back at work. Before you ask ..  i had my knees bent and back straight. I was pulling a pallet of sand with a manual truck before this though which might of aggravated and then lifting the box from a delivery van put the nail in the coffin.

Injury could of been avoiding if the electric pallet truck was working and the store actually paid the bill for it.

Also if the store had more staff perhaps i could of asked someone to help me with the sand, but no staff cutting equipment cutting ended this ..

Chairswan

Member of staff was taking a delivery off one afternoon, he had to reload a cage for the next store on the split load because it was in the way of our store's delivery.
Whilst reloading the said cage he caught his hand in the cage door which resulted in a nasty cut in the finger webbing :(  to make things more interesting he later found out his training on backdoor was not formally signed off, which means him & his manager training him are both in the poo.
I've also heard that the said manager has been reported to the H&S executive for allowing to work on backdoor illegally.  :-X
Watch out boys & girls... is your training up to date (?)) >:D

Gold_Alien

Talking of training, we (b/door staff) all have had to sign a form saying we won't use a base plate from a cage when tipping a delivery now. Came down on workplan about it. Gone in training record as well. That really gonna pee the milkman off!
I signed to say I aint gonna use it, so I aint going to. They can't tell me off that way!
If anybody else wants to use it fine, but if they have an accident, I think the company will wash their hands of them.

PitseaSuspect

News to me .. still using plates here not heard anythin about not using them. Not signed anything to say we arnt allowed them. Rightly so they will pee off the milkman and it will pee us off to when your trying to get a wonky water dollie off the bay. Tesco going to give us anything to use i replacement ... Erm no .. as per usual

Gold_Alien

It came down on workplan about 2 weeks ago.
Got to find some other ways of taking them off now.
Milk taking longer to tip. Dolly's being taken off with pump trucks if they wonkey etc.
Milkman has said other stores are allowing him to use it again, but until I see communication from h/o saying we can use it again, I'm not using it.
I think I have a copy of the form at the back door, will dig it out and post the contents on here.

Chairswan

Don't understand the last few posts regarding not being allowed to use the plates for milk dollies.... why not (?))
If not doesn't the driver adjust the trailer's suspension so makes it level, or am i missing something (?))  ???

Faceandgo

The use of cage base plates has been banned before. I heard that there was an accident when a roll cage caught on one whilst it was being unloaded and the plate jammed on the leveller causing the stock cage to tip over injuring the backdoorman. That was a couple of years ago which shows how long this use of base plates has been going on.
With the new roll cages all coming with plastic bases, its going to be harder to find loose base plates anyway.
Before the introduction of underslung tail lifts it was possible to get the leveller to rest on the tail lift and avoid any lip whatsoever. Then again in those days the levellers were maintained more frequently and the edges ground down more often.
take two cages onto the shop floor? not me i just faceandgo!(Administrator)

Time is too slow for those who wait
Too swift for those who fear
Too long for those who grieve  Too short for those who rejoice  But for those who love, Time is eternity.   -Henry Van Dyke

Gold_Alien

Ok,
got a copy of the sheet it basically says that the use of a metal roll cage base plate has been identified to be a hazard when use with dock levellers.

Staff are to stop using it with immediate effect, and if they see any staff using the base plate to advise them it's not safe and to remove it from use.

Space at bottom for staff to Sign, Print their name and date it.

Chairswan

So what if you don't sign it (?)) ???

Gold_Alien

Good question!
Guess you can carry on using it then.

Chairswan

Sorry it sounds to me that it's just a bit of paper hanging on a wall in which you just sign next name, so if you don't sign it powers above can't do naff all.  ???

Gold_Alien

We got told we had to sign it, the top of it does state that all backdoor trained staff were to sign it, not forgetting nights/twilights.
copy gone in my training record.
I had heard of a milk driver, that someone got hurt using one. Not sure of full circumstances, but heard it just nicked him on his leg/ankle.
This will be Tesco's way of covering their arse, which we all know we have to do at all times ourselves, to stop getting a rollicking.

POA Billy

This banning of the use of the plates has also been posted on the drivers notice board at the DC.

Apparently a while back a driver sliced open an ankle when the plate curled up. When they got the settlement amount the notices went out the next day.

As a bridging plate they are too flimsy and warp too easily.

oriver2

I'm working on backdoor next week for the first time (have worked on basically every other dept over the years) and this thread has made me terrified!  Going to do everything exactly by the book, no matter how much it pisses off everyone else.

almostlost

Had a cage tip up on a lad this morning. Dogfood and boxes of spirits on top of toiletroll, and a dodgy wheel was all it took.  He hurt his back pretty badly, but wasn't offered the chance to go home, or even sit down for 10 minutes.

PitseaSuspect

Quote from: Gold_Alien on 29-05-10, 02:44PM
Ok,
got a copy of the sheet it basically says that the use of a metal roll cage base plate has been identified to be a hazard when use with dock levellers.

Staff are to stop using it with immediate effect, and if they see any staff using the base plate to advise them it's not safe and to remove it from use.

Space at bottom for staff to Sign, Print their name and date it.

Not heard anything or signed anything

Almostlost, sad to hear :( no first aider called ? surely the first aider would have had a say about not being able to rest or to go to the hospital

Scanny

Quote from: oriver2 on 13-06-10, 11:02PM
I'm working on backdoor next week for the first time (have worked on basically every other dept over the years) and this thread has made me terrified!  Going to do everything exactly by the book, no matter how much it p**ses off everyone else.

the vehicle is the problem. the driver knows what he/she needs to do so communicate with the driver and follow their requests. he/she will let you know if assistance is required, if not, just stay well away from the vehicle. if assistance is required, wear your hiviz vest and make sure you can see the driver in the mirror. if you cant, he/she cant see you either ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk