News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

26-04-24, 03:39PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 5,903
  • Latest: BB41
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,418
  • Total Topics: 639
  • Online today: 746
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 490
Total: 493

Backdoor accidents

Started by Chairswan, 18-05-06, 03:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mrs

Driver A tries to make a delivery to a Hampshire Extra. Person on backdoor has no PPE. Driver refuses to make delivery - response from backdoor was "I'm a Manager and exempt from having to wear PPE"

Driver B has three express deliveries.
Arrives at first, only one person on shift who has been left a note by the Manager that he's gone to play golf and when the delivery arrives get the cleaner (contractor) to help.
So driver B refuses to deliver, moves onto second delivery. Again, only one person on shift.
Again refuses to deliver, moves onto third delivery. Delivery 1 and 2 has to come off the trailer to get to delivery 3, then has to be put back on. Goes back to first and second expresses by which time there is staff to unload.

Shortages of staff and pressured Managers are making deliveries a joke. Trouble is it's not funny, its an accident in the making.  :p:

Chairswan

ALL staff have to wear PPE when unloading deliveries, that's ALL staff including managers, managers do not as far as I know wear bubbles to protect them from danger, I'd love to see them because that bubble will be so big it may restrict them from going into tight areas of the warehouse!  :D >:( :( :o ??? :P :-X :'( >:D

As for driver B, assuming the 3rd drop is a T/L having to move previous deliveries' cages off is a big H&S risk too.  My store have previously send away deliveries because the second drop is right in the middle of the trailer & staff refused to take it off the T/L....... unlike the other day.  >:(

PitseaSuspect

I've got all my PPE infact with the recent outbreak of warm sun the only part of me that was brown where my forearms . Weve recently had staff in training for a new store and before we let them anywhere near the bay or lorries hi viz were given and correct footwear was checked  :d:

dragonprince

have thrown any number of managers off the bay for not having a hi=viz on

we have enough spare  so they can put one on

helps that I am a H&S rep ( not that that should matter)

jb66

Quote from: dragonprince on 29-04-09, 03:13AM
have thrown any number of managers off the bay for not having a hi=viz on

we have enough spare  so they can put one on

helps that I am a H&S rep ( not that that should matter)

When a manager went out of the yard without a high viz i used to lock them out and make them walk round, i'd never get a row because if the store manager found out they never had a high viz on he/she'd give the managers hell.

PitseaSuspect

Not really an accident but accident prevention. Had a slight spill of hydrolic fluid in our yard, wasnt sure which way to of gettin rid of it. Luckily we had some rain the other night and seemed to of done the trick but is there any proper method of clearing it ?

Jaycloth

Sawdust and a stiff brush, was the method we employed when my father had a garage.  :d:

tinner

Also sand, any coshh information will advise you on the best way. we used to use sand in the printing trade, also a container to dispose of any spillages.

Chairswan

We use cat litter as it's easily available, but MM don't like it, but we don't have saw dust in our warehouse, how else are we suppose to clear it up (?)) >:D :(

If MM were to dispose of our cat litter & an accident occured because there was none around, who'd be to blame (?))

Seanmclude

Anyone spilt paint in the warehouse?! Just my luck for the paint cage not to be fastened correctly and when coming down the ramp break open, dropping two tins of murky brown paint.

Chairswan

I think if you don't clear paint up quickly enough, you end up with a permanently stained floor!  :o
Because end of the day paint is supposed to stick on sufaces for as long as it likes, unless you use white spirit or bleach to clean it up.

Seanmclude

It has stained the floor. But the warehouse is full of stains on the floor. I have a picture of it but i wont post it because a lot of my store will recognise it.
The spill is about as big as a pallet in length and diameter.

I always said the warehouse needed a lick of paint!

gomezz

Quote from: halfajobbob on 05-05-09, 10:54PMI always said the warehouse needed a lick of paint!

Is a brush optional?   :o
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

found it

Friday was not a pleasent night at work! :(  I have no objection to having to put the frozen delivery into the freezer, as it's my job as back door.

But what I do object to, is the idiot who decided to put 2 loose respite Lasagnas on the top for them to fall off. >:( >:(

As you can imagine, I was not amused when they connected with my head, these things are weighed in at 1.5 kg (defrosted), so god knows what they weigh when frozen.

Ended up only doing half a shift, as Concussion not a good thing to have when on the door.

Think I might ask for a hard hat if i have to deal with frozen again. Doubt very much if unity got informed.
Red heads have more fun!!!!

Seanmclude

>:( I just hate how Unity stacks cages! I wish that all the 4 siders went to Unity. Im fed up with having half the cage fall off when tipping!

Hope your heads okay found it.

POA Billy

Freezing an object does not increase the gross weight only makes it a lot harder.

Coming into contact with another hard object and now having a high tensile rating in comparison with the unfrozen lasagna, could cause injury.

Lucky it was frozen as being covered in lasagna is also not my idea of fun ;D

found it

Thanks guys, it ended up me going home with concussion, but after the weekend was fine except for the head aches till Tuesday.
Now very wary of frozen cages.

Doesn't help that we have to push them up a ramp to get them into the freezer.

I'm ok now just one hell of a shock, when it happened.
Red heads have more fun!!!!

Yuni

I was pulling a dairy cage off a delivery lorry when I had an accident. The cage hit the edge of the dock ramp and the wheels stopped - unfortunately the top of the cage didn't and it went down onto ground. As I was pulling it at the time my hand was caught by the cage as it fell and I suffered a cut across the back of the knuckle.

As it seemed quite deep and was bleeding a bit the first aider sent me to A&E - luckily there wasn't any bad damage and they just glued/steri-stripped it and dressed it.

Chairswan

Where you by any chance wearing gloves at the time of the accident Yuni  (?)) ???

Yuni

No....

.....I think the only gloves I've ever been given were when I've been filling freezers. I've never been given any, or told I should be wearing any, for any other purpose

Chairswan

If you weren't wearing gloves when you where unloading a wagon as your post described to me, you shouldn't be assisting in the unloading, are you backdoor trained  (?))

If you were wearing gloves your knuckles wouldn't have suffered like they did.  :(

Yuni

Lets see....... I think the training consisted of.........

You let the wagon in like this.....
You offload it like this......
You fill in the paperwork like this.....
Any problems, find a manager to ask......

All in all about 2-3 minutes.....(if that)

I've often wondered if there is some 'formal' training that should be on your file somewhere as, apart from the backdoor person that does 5 nights, I don't think that any of the people that cover his nights off or his holidays have any

Chairswan

Your training should be on your file, I take it you havn't been given any PPE then  (?)) >:D
The actual training however sounds about as adequate as ........ well I'm not going go through that path, the actual training is supposed to take at least 2-3 hours, either one to one or in a group.  :-X

Yuni

Slightly off subject but this shows how good our backdoor training is.

The site has just started using the electronic system for diect deliveries. When I mentioned to someone on day staff that we were still having to use the old receipt system he said that he'd speak to someone and get us trained on it.
I came in last night and had to cover backdoor as our normal person was off sick to find a note stuck up 'fao night shift' with a brief list of instructions and the way to reboot the scanner if it stopped working.

Needless to say I followed the instructions......and they didn't work

Chairswan

I heard some days ago a driver from Didcot DC was injured when after he tipped all of the stock out of the trailer he turned himself round to close the shutter when he trapped his leg between the platform of the rear of the trailer & the dock leveller.  This was because the backdoor man lifted the flap before the driver exited the trailer thus not realising the flap had been lifted.  :(
A victim of turnaround times  (?)) ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk