News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:19PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 288
Total: 292

Backdoor accidents

Started by Chairswan, 18-05-06, 03:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairswan

A Walkers crisps driver told me last year, one of his coleagues had just parked up on the bay of Cleethorpes store, when he jumped out of his cab & caught his leg on a banana dolly which resulted in his leg being skinned..... ouch!!!! :o
As far as I'm aware he has since recovered from the accident.

Drivers, please be carefull when you do jump out of your cabs when you've parked up, you never know what's standing next to you.  :(

Seanmclude

Can anyone help me on this one.

Working on back-door i was told that we should not go onto the trailer ever.
Yesterday for no apparent reason my senior decided to walk onto the trailer to check inside.. I told him to get out mainly because the driver was still tipping and senior had no safety shoes.. He said to me it was fine to go onto the trailer as it is in tesco property.

So was i taught wrong? That we can go onto the trailer to help pull cages off/on?

POA Billy

Once the trailer is on dock it becomes part of the warehouse and as long as all H&S requirements are followed, safety footwear, high viz, gloves, over 16,then drivers will allow access to the trailer, after all it is their responsibility to point out any failings in H&S with regard to staff entering the trailer. Plus how else would pallets be unloaded, as drivers are not trained in the use of pallet trucks and therefore not covered for their use.

jb66

Quote from: halfajobbob on 21-01-09, 01:37AM
Can anyone help me on this one.

Working on back-door i was told that we should not go onto the trailer ever.
Yesterday for no apparent reason my senior decided to walk onto the trailer to check inside.. I told him to get out mainly because the driver was still tipping and senior had no safety shoes.. He said to me it was fine to go onto the trailer as it is in tesco property.

So was i taught wrong? That we can go onto the trailer to help pull cages off/on?

You are not allowed on the trailer at all if your using a tail lift, otherwise your allowed on under the drivers supervision only.  If the driver does not want you in the back then you cant go on.

Geezer100

Quote from: Chairswan on 14-01-09, 11:01AM
A Walkers crisps driver told me last year, one of his coleagues had just parked up on the bay of Cleethorpes store, when he jumped out of his cab & caught his leg on a banana dolly which resulted in his leg being skinned..... ouch!!!! :o
As far as I'm aware he has since recovered from the accident.

Drivers, please be carefull when you do jump out of your cabs when you've parked up, you never know what's standing next to you.  :(

Yep, it could be a wall!
Eddie driver last week was in LHD unit - jumped out to find a wall next to him, bit tight against the wall. He got out OK.

Chairswan

A driver once told me he went to a store in the South London area, he needed a hand getting a cage or a dollie off the wagon for one reason or another, but the backdoorman replied he wasn't allowed nor were any other staff in the store.
The driver asked to see the store manager, who poped round & told the driver the same thing "we arn't allowed on back of trailers".  The driver rang the depot to report the problem afer the driver closed the shutter & threatened to drive back to the DC with the load,after a period of time later, the backdoor person got on the trailer to help assuming he was wearing PPE.  :o

One store that isn't up to date on their procedures i guess.  :(

Seanmclude

All backdoor personel in my store are given their own hi vis jacket and must always wear safety shoes.

I thought it was 18+ to work on backdoor? 

Also with the pallets mention. I have never moved a pallet from the trailer into the warehouse ever. I put the pallet truck onto the trailer but the driver has always moved the pallet off and into the warehouse.

On some occasions i have given them a push but never pulled.  Them 4litre water pallets kill me!!

Chairswan

You're right it's 18 years old to unload a wagon.
However it's 16 to move a roll cage.  ???

I think the reason behind it is because your average 16/17 year old would try & show off by trying to stop a cage weighing up to half a tonne falling down off a tail-lift, resulting then in being flattened on the floor of the warehouse.
Where as an older (or mature I should put it) member of staff would simply let it go knowing they're safe from being injured.  ;)

Seanmclude

I'm just glad i have a dock for my trailers. When im on backdoor its my backdoor! Anyone else get that feeling?

I also put safety of those working with me as a priority aswell as my own of course.  Last week i was opening the gate to let a unity trunk in and some person off the chicken counter walked into the yard with no hi-viz and went to go collect a 4 sider.

I stopped everything and went over to the member of staff and told her not to enter the yard when there is a wagon there. She got into a bad mood but at the end of the day, the hi-viz was there and the sign before entering the yard states not to enter if there is a wagon moving.

Geezer100

Not sure of the full story here, as I only heard it from an eddie driver tonight.
But I believe that an eddie wagon knocked a wall down at Macc 2. Reason: Unit was a 6 legger, like they are using all the time now.
Does anyone know the full story??

Dot Comma

Backdoormen where i am often dont wear hi-vis. one time just before Xmas, it was getting dark, lorry came in, could not turn. Bdm (backdoorman) was shifting cages about out of the way of the lorry. He nearly got pancaked between unit and outdoor freezer container so asked me to walk about with him instead of putting on himself.

And only last week, i was reversing into the loading bay and a member of staff just walks up behind with no hi-vis, i only stopped because i saw them (only just though) on the reversing camera.

Why do people just think they can wonder about like that. i bet they wont if they have a trip to hospital because a driver did not see them and hit them.

Geezer100

Dot comma,
I once saw a member of cleaning staff, cross the yard at night, with no hi-viz while a wagon was reversing. She crossed behind it. I tried to make her understand that it was a no-no, but unfortunatley she was foreign, and couldn't understand me too well.
The next time I saw the cleaning manager, I informed him what had happened, and asked him to have a word.
He duly did so, and said to me that he wanted to know if it ever happens again with any of his staff, especially if not wearing hi-viz jackets.

Dot com are also guilty of that, a dot com driver was talking in yard, to wagon driver in front of cab. Wagon driver in cab. dot com driver not wearing a hi-viz jacket, just the dark standard issue fleece. I went and saw the dot com team leader straight away, and told him the situation.
There were other dot com drivers with the t/l at the time, and they told the t/l of another driver who also dosen't wear hi-viz jackets. t/l was not impressed, and told the guilty staff off straight away.

But it's not just GA's - I have told managers off about it before now.

Dot Comma

I admit, we do have one or two drivers who do not wear a hi-vis, even on the road when delivering. When we mention anything, it falls on deaf ears. Well it seems like it. They are always being told, nothing being done.

Chairswan

I've heard a fatal accident occured at a Kidderminster store last week:
A tesco wagon was reversing towards the backgate when a pedestrian was hanging around behind the wagon when they were run over by the reversing wagon.
The road leading to the store was closed for 3 hours for investigation before it was re-opened.  :(

Jaycloth

My sympathies go out to the victims family and to the unfortunate driver.

PitseaSuspect

Sad news, but it does question what was the person doing behind the reversing lorry, i tend to get out the way of a reversing vehicle if i see it and a artic wagon isnt exactly hard to miss.

Where was the backdoor man ? I've been told if you see pedestrians around the lorry you should signal the driver to stop. Sorry not trying to put a downer on things here a very tragic accident

Jaycloth

All accidents could be avoided, they are just a set of circumstances. I heard a refuse truck reversing, using a recorded voice warning system. I got talking to the driver, who told me that whilst emptying the large bins, he and his colleague heard shouts, from inside the truck. Apparently two men had been sleeping in the bin. :o

Chairswan

The bin men are supposed to check for signs for vagrants sleeping inside the bins before they tip them, unless they're in a hurry which many Biffa guys are!  :o

Dot Comma

Quote from: Chairswan on 07-04-09, 11:24PM
The bin men are supposed to check for signs for vagrants sleeping inside the bins before they tip them, unless they're in a hurry which many Biffa guys are!  :o

Sorry, i have to laugh, you did say quite an amusing word there.... Check..!!! lol. have yet to find anyone in stores check anything! lol

One to add for backdoor accidents, i have put more information in a new post called Back Gate. Its only scratches and not life threatening!

Chairswan

Dot comma, the above info is from a leaflet a mate of mine showed who works in the call center for Biffa, it explains about what bin pick up drivers are supposed to do when picking up ro ro bins & those silly ones where you put the forks in to lift over the cab to empty.  Pallets beside the doors is something to look for, but with many drivers in a hurry I doubt many bother.  Especially the one who shouted abuse at a technician who was visiting my store because he parked his van right in front of the compactor!.  :o

xExpress

Quote from: Tescomenace on 10-03-09, 07:10PM
Where was the backdoor man ? I've been told if you see pedestrians around the lorry you should signal the driver to stop. Sorry not trying to put a downer on things here a very tragic accident

This unfortunate accident happened at an Express store.

As with any store the driver is given a risk assessment before leaving the dept, which has exact instructions on what to do before entering the ring fence of the store. Each assessment has a grade of danger, and what to do in the event that one of the dangers is possible to accrue.

However if it is a pedestrian zone which most Express are the driver is not supposed to reverse prior to 2 members of staff coming to assist.

I can already hear the laughter coming from you guys in express reading this.
As the real truth is, there is no backdoor men in Express, each member of staff is given basic back door training, but before being able to accept/assist a delivery they must be silver validated.

But wagon drivers do get very upset with the am mount of time they are sat waiting on main roads, due to low volumes of staff. When a wagon is expected a duty manager/team leader/team manager/shift manager must put out at least one yellow danger cone. Before the wagon is to enter a pedestrian zone where reversing is required, 2 members of staff should come and assist but their normally on the till and in the bakery (yes the bakery). This is how accidents happen, not enough staff, and not enough time for the drivers/store.

PitseaSuspect

Play by the rules, of course everyone bends them but when it comes to issues like being in a pedestrian zones ensure there are two people there other refuse to accept it. What more can Tosco do. Give you a warning for not following your training.  >:D :d:

Chairswan

Poped into my local express store, was cringing as I was watching a wagon reversing around the back of the shopping parade, a member of staff was guiding it up not wearing a hi-viz jacket/vest etc ...... I hope he didn't get squashed when they got round the back.  :o :( >:D

Please everyone, make sure you wear PPE when dealing with delivery wagons how ever shorter period you wear them for, anything can happen.

pmcoffee

Quote from: Chairswan on 18-04-09, 03:54PM
Please everyone, make sure you wear PPE when dealing with delivery wagons how ever shorter period you wear them for, anything can happen.

I think Asda give them to everyone don't they? perhaps we should too?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk