News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 02:03AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 311
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 283
Total: 283

Backdoor accidents

Started by Chairswan, 18-05-06, 03:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geezer100

Not an accident, but a prevention.
Had a right go at dot comedy section mngr today for going out in yard at early dawn while wagon moving with no hi-viz on. Asked him if he had a death wish.

Seanmclude

Had a dollie of heinz baked beans come in this evening on 3 wheels - (yes three wheels)!
Had to laugh though.

Could of bean a catastrophe :p

see what i did there :p

Chairswan

I've regulary had cages of stock in the past that turn up with three wheels, which needs a pallet truck to unload with.  :o

PitseaSuspect

Not really an accident but could of been quite dangerous. Thurrock pulled off our fresh bay (see YouTube video  >:D ) trailer swang out and managered to hook a cage of scrap metal between the bumper bar on the back of the trailer and the trailer its self dragging the cage out into the road.

bushido

I hope all these near misses are being reported in the incident book correctly
bushido  
Those who scream loudest are the quietest when action is needed
"Gentlemen, you cant fight in here, this is the war room!"

Dot Comma

Quote from: bushido on 25-10-08, 07:34PM
I hope all these near misses are being reported in the incident book correctly

do you mean that book that still looks brand new and no person knows what it is or probably by now, where it is? lol!

Chubbychaser

Not an accident as such just a funny potential I was told by a driver:

He was delivering to an express in the south coast when two managers turned up in their hi-viz etc... however one was wearing ....... yep..... flip-flops  :-X

Dot Comma

Quote from: Chubbychaser on 10-11-08, 11:46PM
flip-flops  :-X

that is just an accident in itself. did you accidently wet your self laughing, i know i would have done!!!

Tom

Recently a back doorman from our store was involved in an accident and hospitalised.

A truck that had just arrived backed into the yard and the driver opened the back door and untied the load. He then decided to move the truck forward and as he moved a dolly full of coke came off on top of the back doorman.

PitseaSuspect

didnt the backdoor man see the driver go to his cab and if he did why was he on the trailer if he knew the driver was going to pull forward and being on th eback of the trailer without the driver sounds a bit iffy lol  :D

hope the backdoor man is alright a fellow fallen soldier lol

Nomad

PitseaSuspect, sorry but I see no connection between a member of staff being hospitalised and the smiley you used plus the LOL.

Hope the member of staff is OK.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

PitseaSuspect

Sorry that didnt mean to come across like that I've seen a few bad accidents myself and i know its not funny and i wish the member of staff all the best on their recovery and them dollies arnt exactly the best things especially when your store doesnt provide any handles which i have moaned about constantly. But you must question why the backdoor man was on the trailer on his own. Sorry if the previous comment upset or offended anyone.

Looks like I've lost my key ring and sticker now eh nomad  :(

Nomad

From reading the post I'm not sure he was on the trailer, reads to me like he was on the ground somewhere near the back of the trailer.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Tom

Sorry for not being clear in my post. Yeah Nomad, the back doorman was on the ground guiding the truck in. 

Seanmclude

But it goes to ask --- how far away was the warehouseman to the trailer? and why was the trailer opened untied then the driver moving the truck? I hope that the warehouseman is okay!

Chairswan

Why did the wagon have to move in the first place after the shutter was open (?))

bored_member

Is it just me that finds the phrase "backdoor accidents" quite amusing?

Chairswan

Quote from: bored_member on 08-12-08, 03:08AM
Is it just me that finds the phrase "backdoor accidents" quite amusing?

Why would you say that BM (?))

Maybe I should changed it to "backdoor mishaps"  ;)

found it

Chairswan,You were right with the topic heading, and it goes to show just how varied the accidents on the back door can be.

All I will say is those of you with open yards, wether it for tail lift deliveries and backloads or just back loads, take extra care in the current icy conditions.

Over the years heard of too many slips, falls and loss of control of the cages.
Red heads have more fun!!!!

Chairswan

We had a silly accident on the backdoor a few days ago.

One of the relieve guys who usually works fresh normally was covering the shift as the usual guys had finished, he was struggling with taking cages off the tail-lift so another chap off dairy came over to help.
The second guy at the time was not wearing his toe-tectors, when no.1 took down the tail-flap it landed on no.2's foot   :o ouch he was in agony fortunately no broken bones, but he blames no.1 for dropping the flap without warning despite the fact he wasn't wearing his PPE & he also claims we isn't signed off yet, so if he wasn't signed off why did he go near the lorry in the first place  ???
Stupid boy!  :-X

lazzzzzzzzydave

only last year did i turn up for work  to start at 1:00pm clocked on and made my way to the backdoor when i was informed the thurrock delivery had arrived so went in to the yard and opened the gate, to my amazement the lorry driver decided the he would bring my car in to the yard along with his trailer dragging my car about 15 meters before he realised! gutted i was but he then told us he was an agency driver and he couldn't give his insurance details. then to top it off the duty manger then informed me it had nothing to do with tesco and i had to sort it myself. luckily no one was hurt but it still take the p**s. it toke 3 weeks for the dc to inform there insurance and i was left with out a car yet still expected to travel 8 mile to work.

I've edited your post so it doesn't giveway your identity. CS

Chairswan

I'm pretty sure your Duty manager was smelling of the brown stuff when he mentioned it's not of any concern of the store. That's of course your vehicle wasn't parked on tesco property like out on the road at the time.

Can anyone correct me if needs be please (?))

I take it nobody has been hospitalised over the crimbo period on the backdoor this year (?)) >:D

Seanmclude

No injuries before Christmas and hopefully none ever! Had a few damaged silvers though.. (The problem with having such a big store and such a small yard)

How come magor are short of trailers? Had a few of them turn up in odd looking trailers!

Chairswan

Rather have a mangled silver cage which can be replaced then a mangled member of staff which can't always be replaced the same.  >:D

You talking about hire trailers halfajobbob (?))

Not seen those in a few years now.
The last time I saw one was from NDC (I no longer have them now) it was 13' 11'' high & it would'nt fit some store's bay due to a few inches taller then a standard tesco trailer. 
They also have barn doors too if I can remember rightly (?)) 8-)

Seanmclude

Yeah these were hired trailers and hired drivers also. Well the driver who came to my store owned the whole lorry that delivered to my store.

I asked if he still received the same information a normal tesco driver receives which he did.

The trailer did have barn doors and had to stop about a metre before the bay to open the doors and take off both security tags. I always wondered why on the delivery note there was space for a second tag... now i know why :D

On a lighter note had a wisemans come in yesterday (boxing day) and he told me that our yard was the best he has been too in a long time! He also mentioned his least favourite yard was forrestfach in Swansea :D
Made my day such a lovely compliment :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk