Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 01:38PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 288
Total: 290

Job cuts including nights Pharmacy workers night workers.

Started by Bobmay, 31-01-23, 11:33AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobmay

Hello as many of you expected Tesco is has decided to cut down staff numbers in the following places. Nights there will be no more nights in an few more stores. Secondly pharmacy workers a few pharmacy will be closing down which is surprising to many. And finally managers. Here is the full texts from our tesco.

Dear colleagues

Today, we're announcing some proposed changes to our UK business to ensure we remain focused and competitive in a fast-changing market.

We continually review the way we operate to make sure we are meeting customers' needs and supporting colleagues in a sustainable way. This means doing more of what works and stopping or simplifying where we need to, so that we're running our business as efficiently as possible.

This also means making some difficult but necessary decisions, but will ensure we can continue to invest in the things that matter most for our customers and business. These proposed changes include:

Management changes

Over the last couple of years, we have started rolling out a new management structure in approximately 350 of our smaller Superstores, which better reflects the needs of our stores.
We have now taken the decision to extend this structure across all our larger Superstores and Extra stores.
We will introduce over 1,800 new Shift Leader roles in these stores, leading on the day-to-day operational duties on the shop floor.
We will also realign our manager roles to ensure they are all of equal size and complexity, focusing on overall store performance and supporting our colleagues to serve their customers, communities and planet a little better every day.
With the introduction of these new Shift Leader roles and realignment of management roles, we have taken the difficult decision to reduce the number of Lead and Team Managers in our large stores, impacting around 1,750 colleagues.
We are supporting colleagues impacted by these changes, who will have the option of moving into Shift Leader vacancies with financial support or taking redundancy.
Counter closures

We first announced changes to our counters back in 2019, and we've been reviewing them on an ongoing basis ever since.
We have seen a significant decrease in demand for our counters over the last few years, and our customers no longer say they are a significant reason for them to come in store and shop with us. Instead, they are choosing to buy from our wide range of great quality products available in our aisles.
The majority of our stores no longer operate any counters. In the small number of stores that do still have them, many are only open with reduced days and times – and we have strengthened our in-aisle ranges to ensure that customers can still find the meat, fish and deli products they want.
We have therefore decided to close our remaining counters and hot delis from 26 February, and the space will be repurposed to better reflect our customers' needs. All affected colleagues will be offered alternatives roles in store.
Where we can work with a third party to offer a counter experience in-store, we will continue to do so.
Our management changes will see us introduce as many roles as we're removing and there will be no redundancies as part of the changes to our counters.

In addition to the changes above, there are a small number of other localised changes across our business that we are talking to colleagues about. In our stores, this will include the closure of eight pharmacies, where there are other pharmacies within one mile of our store, moving overnight roles to the day time in 12 stores and reducing hours within some Post Offices. We are also removing a small number of roles in different functions of our Head Office and closing the Tesco Maintenance National Operating Centre (NOC) in Milton Keynes. Taking into account all the localised changes, we expect this to impact around 350 roles across the business.

Managers in teams that are affected in Head Office have already reached out to impacted colleagues to inform and support them. We will now enter a consultation process with USDAW on these proposals. Our priority is to support colleagues impacted by these changes and help them find alternative roles within our business. We currently have around 2,000 vacancies, in addition to the more than 1,800 new shift leader roles we will be introducing to stores.

These are difficult decisions to make, but they are necessary to ensure we remain focused on delivering value for our customers wherever we can as well as ensuring our store offer reflects what our customers value the most.

Bobmay

If you are affected make sure you take redundancy tesco is becoming extremely more difficult place to work.I had one colleague who regreted not taking redundancy and now is working far more harder than before with more pressure. Tesco going forward will resemble how aldi lidl are with less workers and more work to do.Even though some people disagree this is the future of where tesco is heading. Take redundancy and find better job go back to education etc.Tesco is profit driven now.

spike_pkh

"Tesco is profit driven now"

A company, whose purpose is to sell stuff and make profits, being driven by profit margins.. how dare they!

Freeatlast

Grim reaper strikes again! So sorry for former colleagues who have been affected by this change today. Many who have given most of their lives to dear old Tesco.
I got out earlier last year as saw what was coming along after 26 years service. Have had no regrets, better work life balance, valued for my skills and chance for progression in a growing business.
There is a better life outside of Tesco as many will testify. It still sucks to go through the process though. I had 2 rounds of having to take a different role with re-structures.
All the best to those affected!

Bobmay

Quote from: spike_pkh on 31-01-23, 12:01PM"Tesco is profit driven now"

A company, whose purpose is to sell stuff and make profits, being driven by profit margins.. how dare they!

Before Tesco was flooded with many staff members.  Now it is struggling with no staff members it is far worse than before.  Before it was driven by profit but not extremely driven by it.  Now it is extremely driven by profit no matter what.

lordadmiral

Look for a job in IT, the shortage is huge. I am working as software developer after 15 years at tesco.
Just spend some time learning some basics.
Pressure is way lower and pay is better.

penguin

Quote from: Bobmay on 31-01-23, 12:58PM

Before Tesco was flooded with many staff members.  Now it is struggling with no staff members it is far worse than before.  Before it was driven by profit but not extremely driven by it.  Now it is extremely driven by profit no matter what.

It was always all about profit, if you think otherwise stick the names of a few former senior managers and directors into google and read the stories, there in no way made up. The only difference 15 or so years ago was as the good times were rolling money could be found for things like full time hot food in store for staff, decent benefits by the standards of retail work etc etc. The second it all started to go wrong it was the front line staff who lost out on such things first to keep those at the top from missing out.

Anyway it matters not to me anymore I left back in 2020 and not looked back since, work in a factory now earn more than ever did at Tesco for doing less hours and far better chances for promotion as the company I am with are expanding massively at present due to increased demand for its products.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

sunshineman

Quote from: lordadmiral on 31-01-23, 02:51PMLook for a job in IT, the shortage is huge. I am working as software developer after 15 years at tesco.
where did you do your training, this sounds like a great idea

Ibanker2

I decided to retire early 18 months ago....I worked in a small Superstore....no redundancy offered to Team Managers then ...change was going to be organic...So I missed out on a nice cheque...

If you walk round the store with Shift Leaders in place it's laughable....in my opinion zero leadership....The remaining Team Managers are clerks....paper chasers...Wonder if we can get colleagues to self discipline.....do that and the last Manager can put the lights out as they leave

Tesco has finally dumbed down the entire culture..

As many have said there is life and work outside Tesco....I know I helped talented colleagues take that step....and leave ....

Redshoes

Quote from: Bobmay on 31-01-23, 12:58PM

A private company will always be driven by profit. If it was not it would go out of business. It has just become more difficult to make that profit. It's the same as trying to balance personal finances.

Checkout Superstar

For the 3rd year running you can bet colleagues do not recommend Tesco as a great place to work on EVM but Tesco seem to wear that title like a badge of honour now.

Albert

How is it that Managers will be offered redundancy and Checkout Team Support weren't, when they were moved to off till activity role??

randomworker

Quote from: Checkout Superstar on 31-01-23, 07:42PMFor the 3rd year running you can bet colleagues do not recommend Tesco as a great place to work on EVM but Tesco seem to wear that title like a badge of honour now.

I did because if I didn't then why the hell Im I still working there if it's a c**p place to work  ;D

WhateverTrever

Sooo glad I left back in 2020. The changes were always on the cards back then with the natural slimming of management structure, waiting until the most cost efficient time to strike.

As a few have said, its a profit driven decision and Tesco are only as good as the profit they deliver. Only time will tell if this actually drives profit or when compounded with the rest of the changes, has the opposite effect.

Best wishes to those affected. If you can afford the risk, take redundancy. Your life balance will improve.

londoner83

Whether you should take redundancy is a individual decision.

If you won't get much of a payout and live in a area of high unemployment you may be better to try and remain in a role. Likewise if you are nearing retirement or are comfortable you can secure alternative employment quickly you may be better of leaving.

However as I understand it as it stands if u are offered a role, and turn it down redundancy isn't a option.

Hammer10

Just think how much profit the company could make if they ran it properly and not like they were playing fantasy shop keeping.

Redshoes

It's not a choice thing. It's all done on score. The managers that score highest get the jobs. As they have jobs the redundancy is not on offer. If they don't score enough to get a manager job it's then shift lead or redundancy.

Bobmay

Quote from: lordadmiral on 31-01-23, 02:51PMLook for a job in IT, the shortage is huge. I am working as software developer after 15 years at tesco.

I agree there are so many course you can do now for a few mo ths get an certificate than get an job easily in IT industry and the good thing about it is that it is good pay and there is an shortage of people working in IT in the UK.

Bobmay

Quote from: Albert on 31-01-23, 08:39PMHow is it that Managers will be offered redundancy and Checkout Team Support weren't, when they were moved to off till activity role??

There is more cuts coming again soon to more places. So don't be surprised when it comes Tesco stated they will be saving 1 billion by this year and next year.  As less customers spend less money the more Tesco will cut down staff numbers.

Bobmay

Quote from: londoner83 on 31-01-23, 10:01PMWhether you should take redundancy is a individual decision.

If you won't get much of a payout and live in a area of high unemployment you may be better to try and remain in a role. Likewise if you are nearing retirement or are comfortable you can secure alternative employment quickly you may be better of leaving.

However as I understand it as it stands if u are offered a role, and turn it down redundancy isn't a option.

If they offer an role which the individual isn't able to do than ofcourse they won't do it. The tesco will have to pay redundancy. For example if an person isn't able to change their hours thsn Tesco has to pay redundancy

randomworker

Quote from: Hammer10 on 31-01-23, 10:32PMJust think how much profit the company could make if they ran it properly and not like they were playing fantasy shop keeping.

Are you hidden business guru?

How would you make a company rich in profit in an industry that is cut throat competitive and no innovation is left to generate large amount of wealth?

Hammer10

What I was saying I go round different store in a course of a week and see so much more that could be done to benefit the customer like fill more shelves once the dot com has decimated them if more staff were employed to fill those shelves more money could be taken you look on the faces of customers who want something but it's not there also not enough staff on shop floor to do the customer service or put off the shop lifting that is rife now granted it may cost a little bit more but it would be outweighed by the takings and I am not talking about alot of staff just enough to top shelves up from lunchtime onwards for about 4 hours so the customer can get what they want.

randomworker

Very simplistic solutions to a problem that can never be fixed. Free market competition between all the supermarkets will keep prices low and thus put a squeeze on profit margins which are low margin to begin with.

Labour is the biggest drag on the supermarkets and the last thing they will do is throw more bodies at it. Though what Tesco can do and is doing is learning from Aldi and lidli on getting more out of their employees

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk