News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

02-10-22, 04:09AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 30,996
  • Total Topics: 569
  • Online today: 47
  • Online ever: 660
  • (06-06-21, 01:57AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 22
Total: 25

Unfair treatment

Started by Nomad, 25-05-22, 02:17PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do/did you suffer 'unfair' treatment by management ?

No
34 (19.7%)
Yes
139 (80.3%)

Total Members Voted: 173

madness

Quote from: NightAndDay on 01-07-22, 08:08PMAs of recently, I'm back in Tesco in a new role, but not in store, oh no, I'm now the head of software development at the London office.
So you are more useless than a MM making up new useless programs that don't work with the real world or on the shop floor.

Bobmay

It is already happening especially now that tesco is looking to cut hours of some stores looking to remove night shifts. The manager wants to pit pressure on staff than they can leave without redundancy which is what will make them have bigger bonus.

NightAndDay

Quote from: madness on 05-08-22, 09:44PM
Quote from: NightAndDay on 01-07-22, 08:08PMAs of recently, I'm back in Tesco in a new role, but not in store, oh no, I'm now the head of software development at the London office.
So you are more useless than a MM making up new useless programs that don't work with the real world or on the shop floor.

There are 2 things wrong with your comment.

1. Head of software development doesn't mean I decide the requirements and the use case of the software my team develops, the stakeholder for Retail operations would do that.

2. I don't make the programs, my team does, I do code reviews, document reviews, strategic meetings, forecasting, budgeting, training and coaching, Tesco operates in an agile way using KANBAN and CI/CD principles to execute their deliverables, it is very much a teamwork based environment with clearly defined roles and expectations in a devops environment.

lordadmiral

And we all know theat stakeholders want all sorts c**p which is impossible to implement or will break something else beacuse implementation is over complicated.
Oh an better it would be done asap.
And code doesn't have documentation so no one know what does what.
And it takes days, sometimes weeks just to set-up environment before you ask that question, "ok, so what you want me to do".
Or being paid hundrets of £ a day to find that one bracket in the wrong place beacuse someone had an idea to write several hundreds lines long function with dozens nested if statement and no bloody comments.
Or 20k lines JS with global single character variables, and again no comments.

NightAndDay

A lot of these Retail management/director positions are non-jobs, extra to requirements. "Brand Managers", "Customer Engagement Director", far too much money invested into glorified marketing managers.

My job actually requires skill and knowledge in a concrete domain, we all know that Retail operations is mickey mouse, but it is in the structure for some reason, the role requires a common sense approach to processes, so many people are thrown into Retail operations even I fail to see the value. The fact they're paid more than my team of developers is also scandalous in my opinion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk