News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

27-04-24, 12:43PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,427
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 540
Total: 541

Pay Review 2022

Started by yeetus, 29-03-22, 08:30PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redshoes

I have a friend who has the same job as me but for Asda. They are not paid Sunday premium, the managers work on any five days out 7. That would be a simple big cost saving. Many stores in the large formats are still manager heavy. If they are then still being paid to do overtime on Sundays this Akers them even more over. I think the small format stores already do this.
I used to be paid a Saturday premium. This was removed but those who refused the change (pay out) continued with the premium for years. Eventually this was removed with a forced buy out but did not effect many by then. New starts now get same pay as everyone else but they don't get the Sunday premium. It will be removed at some point, you can see it coming but who knows when.
The change to try and reduce the very low contracted hours is good. A 7.5 hour contract can still be given but the expectation is that subject to overall hours in stores the extra hours will go to existing colleagues first.

lucgeo

So, just to clarify with a few points raised so far...

The pre 2005 colleagues contract stated that they were not to be forced to train on checkouts, and that was the agreement...same as the newbies who joined the company on the contracts in force at that time. Now new employees will not receive any Sunday premium, will you offer to give up your premium when they start shouting " not fair"? Thought not!

There are old timers, who appear to be getting away with things...mostly they're not, it's just that they know, and the managers know they know, what the rules are and when they're being abused!
Old timers were taught properly to do their jobs, they adhered to the Tesco "sharing the knowledge" ethos.

In my own personal experience, the majority of those entitled to 1st day sick pay, were rarely off sick. It was just how they were. In fact the sickness rate was always higher amongst those on the non payment.

Perhaps if you look into how their work standards and pay have eroded over the years, you may understand their apathy. When they joined, there was ample staff, the stores were running on full timers, and the shoppers were most days in high volumes. The training room was for just that, training, and they had a training manager, who regularly held refresher meetings or new initiatives meetings for all, it was called a brown paper meeting, as that's what they did, wrote it all out on a big brown paper roll, and left it on display for all to see!
They worked the lates and Saturdays when they started, but when a colleague left, the others were allowed to swap to the leavers better shifts or days, and the new job was advertised on the less favourable shifts...that's why they don't do weekends or lates.
They lost Saturday premium, double time bank holidays and Sundays, lost being able to bank their overtime hours or take as T/ L....hell I used to work every BH and get double pay and a day in lieu, which I was allowed to bank for a future holiday! That's why you'll find most aren't contracted to a Monday, as there are more BH Mondays, when they could work the overtime on double pay and day in lieu!
They used to have a social club, full of activities such as, days out, theatre nights , sponsored grants for things such as sign language courses etc. or anything that could be used to improve what the store could offer their customers.

New members are not taught properly, therefore lack experience or knowledge, which can be frustrating when they're keen to learn. This has a negative effect on morale amongst the newer staff, as they lack the confidence of the older employees.

The other point I note in previous posts, is the new initiatives on having colleagues working other departments. So therefore, they can no longer use the fact that a colleague who can no longer perform the tasks of their own department due to medical reasons, cannot be found alternative roles across the store, on their contracted hours  ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Nomad on 09-04-22, 10:47AM
https://news.sky.com/story/bt-faces-strike-vote-while-tesco-agrees-new-pay-deal-12584355
QuoteDaniel Adams, Usdaw (Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers) national officer, said: "At such a difficult time, Usdaw is pleased to have secured a pay deal that not only delivers the highest hourly rate of pay in the sector but also delivers on the union's New Deal for Workers campaign, giving our members the right to request a "normal hours" contract and ensuring a minimum 16-hour contract going forward.
"highest hourly rate of pay in the sector" really  8-)
"right to request" NOT get, just ask.  Like you did not have the right to ask before  :o

And what is "normal hours"  :question:

Daniel Adams, Usdaw (Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers) national officer, said: "At such a difficult time, Usdaw is pleased to have secured a pay deal that not only delivers the highest hourly rate of pay in the sector but also delivers on the union's New Deal for Workers campaign, giving our members the right to request a "normal hours"

Highest hourly rate of pay in the sector ... Aldi pays more per hour and Lidl pays the same and have been paying that rate since February, Sainsbury's, Morrisons and M&S (Waitrose/John Lewis has kept whatever their paying away from the media) have been paying £10 an hour as far back as February-March, when the elapsed timed is taken into account, they're paying more than Tescos £10.10 an hour that comes into effect 3 months from now. Asda, and Icelands are the only ones paying less (Co-op's £9.90 an hour is less nominally, but as its been that rate since February, it works out about the same as Tescos £10.10 being implemented 4-5 months later).

Tesco workers need to oust USDAW and replace it with a militant union who aren't afraid to bankrupt Tesco.

grim up north

Quote from: Redshoes on 09-04-22, 10:50AM

Checkouts also can't sit idle. They need to be off tills and helping shop floor. The reality is there is now very little time that is idle time. Productivity has massively gone up for checkouts.

This is how it works in distribution. They are scared to death you might be doing nothing for 30 seconds, so they move you to a different job. You often spend more time moving between areas than actually working because they are so worried. So the 5 minutes they think they've saved, has actually taken half an hour

lordadmiral

"UK's lowest-paying supermarket, announced on Thursday that it was investing £200m to increase its rate of pay by 5.8% to a minimum £10.10 from 24 July 2022, "

Hmm pay rise will cost only 200m while profit is over 2bn?!

grim up north

I think I can see where the sundays issue is going too if i use distribution as an example. On pay, new starters with us used to be paid less premiums for sundays. Recently in pay talks, the longer serving staff havent had a pay rise, but the new people have. They try to sell it as it's morally wrong for the longer serving staff to reject the pay offer. It's morally wrong for the union to accept new people on lesser rates to start with. So I expect in upcoming pay reviews, new people will slowly be bumped up, at the expense of the 'older' staff

grim up north

And on the issue with working sundays if no premium. Many people on here say they desperately need overtime to make ends meet, then say if sunday has no premium, they give that day up. Cutting their nose off to spite their face. If stores end up with serious staffing issues, again I can see them using distribution as an example and making full time staff work 5 out of 7 days per week. Which will include the occasionally sunday

NightAndDay

Tesco stripping away sunday premium for new starters is a strategic move, if they took a blanket approach to doing so they woukd be hit by 2 ramifications.

Firstly least impactful, there would be an expectation that Tesco gives a further rate increase on top to replace the loss of premium, It would likely amount to 20p or so but that is still something Tesco would like to avoid paying, along with the 18 month protection pay policy for people who only work Sundays.

Secondly, Sundays are the busiest day of the week in Express formats, applyimg a blanket policy change would increase the risk of operational integrity on those days, weekend work is typically hard to recruit for, the premium is an incentive, existing employees will look to drop Sundays as a co tracted day asap, and due to the religious signifocance of Sunday, they can opt out of working it quite easily.

madness

Including the change to contract that everyone has to do dot com, filling and checkouts is going to cause carnage, imagine having big fat suzie from checkouts having to fill, or the autistic kid whos a whiz at stock control but has zero people skills on checkouts.    it will be crazy and then all that will happen is occupational health getting overwhelmed with cases.

Teddybonkers

I don't think so.

Hammer10

This won't happen as there is not enough staff to do each dept now just wishful thinking ,if you are over staffed it's usually dot com who get the help not c/ outs and as for filling well spot the staff if there are any not picking dot com.

madness

New terms are EVERYONE is trained on pick fill and serve.... It is going to be such a dissaster. All for the launch of Schedulers automatically making all the rotas.  ;D it will be a riot

thor god of thunder

can I run something past everyone.....I currently work 2 days.i don't look to do a lot of overtime but keep my options open.if my availability is set to lets say 5 days a week can then in the future just put my 2 days on any of those days? from what I understand over time will only show shifts matching availability too.

Ahsda

Quote from: kaled78 on 09-04-22, 09:48AM
my store has several people now booking a gp appointment to try and get proof that they are exempt from checkouts and .com,some of the women were crying yesterday as they don't want to multiskill,I expect a few will go off with stress before long

Utter nonsense  :D :D :D we work in a supermarket, they're not forcing us down the mines. Some people need to get a grip.

century99

Quote from: barafear on 08-04-22, 04:39PM
Just to clarify, the NLW of £9.50 covers over 23s.
There are lower rates for 18-23. So I guess that £10.10 would be a bigger variance over and above that than 60p.
Whether other similar jobs also pay all staff the same regardless of age is unknown to me - as I am not under 23.

But in reality, all of this is just wiffle waffle - Tesco clearly wants to adopt the Aldi model of reducing costs - and reducing the number of staff in a store at any one time - only open a couple of tills and expect customers to get used to waiting to be served - but helped out by the way that traditionally Aldi staff scan your shopping and encourage you to move over to the edge to do any bag packing.

Ultimately, we all have a choice - to an extent - of whether we work for Tesco or not.

At least this time Tesco haven't overly egged this pay deal - albeit Usdaw called it a ground breaking pay deal - and they are so happy that they've got us through the £10 barrier.

The rumour at store is once they have extended SAYS and self scan they will only have 2 checkouts open on a normal/quiet period and 5 at busy periods. to be honest not alot different to now really. But I can see Christmas being a nightmare as a couple of the days before Christmas we had all the tills on and still had queues there and at self scan.

DOGGER99

So does this mean as we are to be trained in checkouts / replen / dot.com we don't need to be doing cleaning shopfloor, toilets etc and doing PI and merchandising as there's no mention to that in new deal

Mr Brightside 24

Does anyone actually have the link to the 'not being forced to do checkouts' if you are on a pre 2005 contract?

Stevie-lad

It's about time some people get a reality check. Tesco is a supermarket serving thousands of customers every week. Why would anybody think it's acceptable not to be trained to work on a checkout? Maybe it was OK in 2005 but things change over the years and businesses need to adapt. I wonder how many of these people moaning and crying about this are also claiming equal pay  ;D 

King1999

Don't blame people for the company's misgivings, if this is an agreement then tough I'm pretty sure these people as you put it more than compensate in the work they do in their shifts, probably already doing 3 or 4 extra jobs on top of their normal job because of cuts.Again it's the company that says it's an equal payer and treats everyone the same which they clearly don't.You can see this on a daily basis instore it's a bloody disgrace.so if we are talking about fairness that will never be happening will it.Seeing staff totally stressed out is becoming too regular I'm afraid and none of us are paid a single penny for that are we.As for the business adapting that's just cutting hours isn't it brilliant plan.

NightAndDay

2 viewpoints on this. On one hand, we have a population of circa 70 million people, the overpopulation was by design by our tory politicians to decrease the value of labour and to widen the wealth gap, this also served to diminish the bargaining power of employees in unskilled industries such as retail, because of this, unions range from as little as a vehicle for diplomatic niceties, as with USDAWs partnership with Tesco, to outright militant like the various train and public transport unions, so in the large scheme of things, you are replaceable, and replaceable by an illegal immigrant who will do what you do for 50p an hour.

On the other hand however, USDAW has already set the precedent in its stance for "fire and rehire" strategies as a method of changing contractual obligations, the partnership rules pre-2005 are enshrined in legal documents, USDAW can't allow these agreements to be diminished in the same way without appearing hypocritical.

lucgeo

Quote from: DOGGER99 on 10-04-22, 02:01AM
So does this mean as we are to be trained in checkouts / replen / dot.com we don't need to be doing cleaning shopfloor, toilets etc and doing PI and merchandising as there's no mention to that in new deal

Cleaning the toilets  ??? ??? ???

Redone1

Most on here, should have to work a month in an express store. Then you have something to moan about. CAs in express have to clean ( yes toilets) checkouts, Tip delivery's, bakery trained, Do merchandise plans, Price integrity, Work stock. List goes on. Most express colleagues would find working in a larger store a breeze.

lucgeo

Quote from: Stevie-lad on 10-04-22, 08:24AM
It's about time some people get a reality check. Tesco is a supermarket serving thousands of customers every week. Why would anybody think it's acceptable not to be trained to work on a checkout? Maybe it was OK in 2005 but things change over the years and businesses need to adapt. I wonder how many of these people moaning and crying about this are also claiming equal pay  ;D

And I wonder how soon you'd be moaning and crying if you were put into a work off with a pre 2005 colleague.

They have knowledge of the company that you will never be trained to do, as your manager probably won't know what they know! At one time it was common practice to help a new colleague, buddy them, teach them the ropes...most became team leaders, but were then got rid of, so those who chose to stay,  understandably refused to train new colleagues as they were told surplus to requirements, as the business progressed and adapted...into sheer chaos!
Look what happened when they go rid of the stock control crews, some stores were on their knees, as they hadn't taken the time to train up the newer colleagues properly. They didn't know what the different functions of the PDA was for or how to read the information on them, how to do customer orders, or how to actually control the stock!!
Ditto the merchandising teams, PI etc...Tesco never learn by their past mistakes!

How many pre 2005 colleagues do you think are left in your store? I can guarantee your store manager would rather have them available on the shop floor, to assist the teams and the customers, mainly because of their knowledge and experience. Believe it or not, they were even trained on how to properly slit the boxes when filling shelves for speed and ease, spot the delivery to the floor in front of the shelves to save time... cardboard runs...it's second nature for them to pull off empty cardboard trays from the shelves as they're passing and pull the back forward! Regularly check the freezers for dumped fresh that can be saved, same with the shelves! Random date checking and rotation is also the norm!
They're also not looking at their 'phone every 2 minutes and will actually check for missing stock rather than just say "no" when asked by a customer if any more in stock, or " dunno" as to when next delivery due!

lucgeo

Quote from: Redone1 on 10-04-22, 10:57AM
Most on here, should have to work a month in an express store. Then you have something to moan about. CAs in express have to clean ( yes toilets) checkouts, Tip delivery's, bakery trained, Do merchandise plans, Price integrity, Work stock. List goes on. Most express colleagues would find working in a larger store a breeze.

Is cross contamination not an issue of concern within these stores ???

Morris999

@nightandday
It was New Labour that did that with overpopulation not the Tories, it was New Labour that allowed unlimited movement across the EU to Britain, and It's the Left wing parties that are always pushing for more immigration from other parts of the world not right wing parties!

Now back to the pay review

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk