News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

11-05-24, 02:04AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 5,903
  • Latest: imprint
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,500
  • Total Topics: 644
  • Online today: 232
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 217
Total: 218

Pay Review 2022

Started by yeetus, 29-03-22, 08:30PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davethebave

Quote from: NightAndDay on 14-04-22, 02:56PM
It's the cronyism at the top that has instilled this us vs them mentality between cas and managers, we're all just trying to make something of ourselves, the directors, C-suite and the board have got you exactly where tbey want you, oppressed and living in fear, remember, if Tesco could pay you less they would, they have paid less than the minimum wage before and will do so again, feigning a "technical issue" as justification.

When a crab is about to escape the bucket they're in, the other crabs try to drag them back down, this is exactly what they wanted to instill in all of you, their aims are nefarious, they want the UK to be so dependent on them that they would in effect be above the law by virtue of economic dependence. At which point, the CEO will have no problem not paying anyone and shooting people as a performance incentive.

Being a manager at Tesco is not a good job (unless you're a senior lead manager or superstore store manager and above). CAs shouldn't aspire to be one and they should not hold a grudge towards anyone holding the position.

I disagree, CAs should aspire to be managers, that's the only way the company will change. I worked up from CA right to senior management. I couldn't care about what my SM or SD have to think, for me colleagues come first and the business 2nd. My shop won't fall down if I give support to the people who actually need it, be it time off at Xmas or a last minute holiday on a 5 star weekend. The investment in people is what makes my shop actually a decent place to work. Sadly, there are more bad managers than good, but equally lots of CAs who go above and beyond and plenty that don't. I would have liked CAs to get a much bigger pay rise because the majority of them work very hard and deserve it

NightAndDay

Times have changed, being a manager or a CA before 2014 was a whole lot better, my point about CAs not progressing into managers is that over the past decade, the pay reviews have stripped a lot of the pay differences between non-managerial and managerial roles, A full time CA working sundays would be on near enough £21k a year after this pay review. A Team Manager can be paid as low as £24k a year these days (though they do get a bonus). To an ordinary outsider, the additional responsibilities and expectations of working beyond your contracted hours unpaid isn't worth £3k a year more and possibly a small bonus.

OvaSees

^ especially when you factor in the tax and (now increased) NI implications (which also apply to any bonus payments for all), in terms of net pay many are starting to think it simply isn't worth the additional hassle to progress into management.

chris9997

[mod]Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).[/mod]
You may well be right about not going into mm if you can survive on ga pay or find a better paid job you are better to go in that direction, esp on nights , nights mm and team support who do extra hours without extra pay are likely to be on less than ga.

Modena

Does anybody know why distribution are getting 3.15% bonus aren't they under Usdaw like us seems unfair.

barafear

Distribution have their own separate agreement - hence why their pay deal (agreed after the threat to strike over Christmas) was significantly better than GAs in shops.

https://www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/britains-tesco-agrees-new-pay-offer-avert-distribution-workers-strike-2021-12-14/#:~:text=L)%20has%20averted%20strike%20action,%2C%22%20a%20Tesco%20spokesperson%20said.

But I'm sure I read that the new deal was even better than reported in the press due to other items such as paid breaks? But I might have been wrong on that point.

Hammer10

Distribution doing us a favour bumping up their wages more compo when we win the court case .

Tesla

Redundancy + Equal Pay Settlement =  :)

Jellypot

Had our manager today waffling on about the new terms and conditions we are expected to sign up to in October i believe.

Do we actually have a choice here with this?
Or should I start looking for something else?

Ahsda

Look for something else. Serve, pick and fill...or leave

londoner83

Times change and the business needs to adapt with it. If you step into a Aldi or Lidl colleagues do pretty much every role - its only right Tesco employees do the same if we are to remain profitable.

With costs of living soaring it's likely volumes of stock being sold will start to drop as customers cut back. As a result many depts will have too many colleagues at times, whilst other areas may be struggling.

From a economics point of view it cant be right to have for example 3 colleagues in on produce with only 2 stacks of backstock who refuse to support checkouts or help out on other areas in the store because "we only work produce". Likewise you don't need bums on seats at tills if customer volume isn't there so why not utilise that resource across the shop.

Yes change can be scary but by introducing a variety of tasks to colleagues everyday will be different and your retail knowledge will increase.

Redshoes

New terms and conditions also state that minimum contracts should be 16+ hours. If it suits someone to have lower hours that's fine but if the store is under hours and would normally recruit they should first look at existing colleagues who want more hours. This does however mean the new hours will be where the store needs them so it might be that Adam on fresh can get an extra shift but it's at PFS. It does not mean that Adam wants more hours and will get them within fresh if fresh is fully covered.
The new way of dishing out overtime is part of this too. On day one all flexi colleagues will get first pick of the overtime within ares where they are trained. On day two it's open to fixed hours colleagues.
Someone has said that now is the time to think about what is most important to you. Is it the job you do or the hours you work. If both work out for the individual then great but for many this may not be the case.

King1999

I'm pretty sure if you work in a few departments you will get sweet fa support to do your job.Thats why no gives a f@&k anymore and this will keep that feeling.If there's one thing this company certainly isn't in tune with is how we think.As for the work where your hours fit pretty sure you still have primary departments to work on so if a manager thinks different get your facts and challenge them,we don't come to work to feel threatened do we.

barafear

Wonder how the new Performance tool will work with this new multi dept working arrangements?

NightAndDay

There is no support, common practice in SS is that the TM is supposed to pressure the CAs into staying after hours unpaid until everything is done even with short staffing. Tesco knows they can get away with these practices of essentially paying below minimum wage because they can just sit on the government if they try to enforce the law.

VladPutin

Quote from: londoner83 on 21-04-22, 08:58AM
Times change and the business needs to adapt with it. If you step into a Aldi or Lidl colleagues do pretty much every role - its only right Tesco employees do the same if we are to remain profitable.

With costs of living soaring it's likely volumes of stock being sold will start to drop as customers cut back. As a result many depts will have too many colleagues at times, whilst other areas may be struggling.

From a economics point of view it cant be right to have for example 3 colleagues in on produce with only 2 stacks of backstock who refuse to support checkouts or help out on other areas in the store because "we only work produce". Likewise you don't need bums on seats at tills if customer volume isn't there so why not utilise that resource across the shop.

Yes change can be scary but by introducing a variety of tasks to colleagues everyday will be different and your retail knowledge will increase.

All you need to know is that this idea originated in head office. By definition, it is a bad idea and will not work.

[gmod]Edited to remove aggressive insult.[/gmod]

Mickymouse1962

Pre 2005 stands

londoner83

With regards to till training you can be asked to multi skill on self serve or SAYS (instead of a mainbank till). Neither of these existed in 2005 so I doubt very much the 2005 agreement could be used to stop you being trained in these areas.

lucgeo

Also the way the stores are going, SAYS and self serve are going to become the more prominent.
Main bank will be replaced with these stations. A few manual will remain in situ for customers who are unable or unwilling to use the stations. The main banks will be manned by colleagues with mobility issues, or are not able to multi skill on other depts.

It's the way things are going now, so the 2005 agreement will eventually become obsolete.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Redshoes

Quote from: NightAndDay on 21-04-22, 02:19PM
There is no support, common practice in SS is that the TM is supposed to pressure the CAs into staying after hours unpaid until everything is done even with short staffing. Tesco knows they can get away with these practices of essentially paying below minimum wage because they can just sit on the government if they try to enforce the law.

As someone who has never worked in large format stores and has left the company a very long time ago I think you need to stop making sweeping statements like this.
You clock in and out and you are paid. You stay past your time and it comes up on exceptions. All stores are heavily managed on exceptions and manager are challenged. This is a huge thing now and it has been for a while. As you no longer work for the company you won't know this.

Redshoes

I have a friend of over 20 years standing. She has the same job as me but in Asda. She tells me bits and I tell her bits and it seems about the same for the both of us. However I can only comment on what I have heard second hand from her perspective. For me my experience is first hand.

5fdp

Self scan tills were launched in 2003.

Mickymouse1962

Security won't be doing anything except security if they take us off it means no security come help yourself and they can't go all agency as if they do it's against the law to say your job is gone and then give it to somebody else it would be making us redundant yes please

VladPutin

Quote from: spike_pkh on 13-04-22, 09:01PM
I love how these message boards are always CAs complaining about poor pay rises and benefit deals and then when managers get worse deals they are like "well that's what you get for being a manager".

Most the managers in our store work harder than most the CAs, I do feel for them as they try their best against the tough constraints Tesco puts them under. And then get vilified in posts on here for actually doing their job and not being a glorified CA for 9hrs a day.

I havent seen a post on here about what the manager pay rise will be this year so I am guessing it isn't released yet but if it isnt similar to our payrise then I do feel for the hardworking managers.

What, all three of them?  :D ;D

Sherwoodforest

But thats because  the managers are not getting ca,s working hard enough or trained them enough,i work in a store were fresh gap scan is pointless unless the dept manager covers for holidays,hes the only one who looks for gaps ,talk about paying the ca,s for nothing,mind you its only grocery stock control in our shop that does the job properly
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk