News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

20-04-24, 12:46AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,370
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 479
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 453
Total: 454

Cages

Started by Mark calloway, 21-03-22, 01:48AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark calloway

Hi, is there training on how to use cages for waste cardboard? Are you allowed to lie them down on the floor? I'm told it's in the training that you can

oldfashionedplayer

Training shows the only place you should is in the back, however your not actually supposed to because lying them down means your more likely to stand in them to crush them, and by safety standards, you don't know what the cage is like, does it have metal sticking out? Has someone else put something like glass in it? So should be no but most do it, if you hurt yourself doing it, you'll have nothing to stand on for it

Duff McKagan

I've never seen anything in any training specifically about it but it's something we've always done out in the warehouse or on the shop floor when the shop is closed...it's something I only ever do for large cardboard items like crisps and cereal though because it's simply easier to get the card in to the cage that way.
Obviously it's a H&S risk that you take upon yourself especially when lifting the cage back up...if you hurt yourself doing that then I doubt you'd have a leg to stand on but as I say...it's something we've always done and will continue to do unless specifically told otherwise.

General Thorn

I've seen it in one of the training videos where there is a 'coffin' cage in the warehouse and a member of staff jumps in it to push the cardboard down, someone else reports him to a manager and he gets told why not to do that.

Our store used cages like this for a long time but no-one wanted to pick them up when full (no wonder) so we went back to upright cages. It certainly is a health and safety issue when it comes to upending these cages as they are heavy and very awkward.

chris9997

The store would like you to use coffin cages and the manager whould want you to saying you must but I have been over the year been seen lots of training videos and not once has coffin cages been mentioned on a positive vibe, only to show what not to do.

Nomad

If a manager says you must ask for it in writing, signed, dated and MM name printed.  If MM changes asked for it to be counter signed etc or a completely new document.  Get injured ! you're covered  :)

Use your noodle  :-*
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

madness

Quote from: General Thorn on 21-03-22, 11:16AM
I've seen it in one of the training videos where there is a 'coffin' cage in the warehouse and a member of staff jumps in it to push the cardboard down, someone else reports him to a manager and he gets told why not to do that.

Our store used cages like this for a long time but no-one wanted to pick them up when full (no wonder) so we went back to upright cages. It certainly is a health and safety issue when it comes to upending these cages as they are heavy and very awkward.

The right technique it is easy enough.   A young ish lass that used to work for us who was legit 4 foot 10 (maybe less) managed it and put some of the guys to shame.

NightAndDay

That used to be common practice at my old store to, one time someone did report the practice to the HSE, when the suits came round to assess they gave the SM a stern talking to, strangely though nothing was heard of it since and the person who complained got fired as they found things in her bag.

If it did come down to it though the HSE are powerless against Tesco, if they pipe up, Ken Murphy will just turn the UK into an impoverished country akin to many African countries.

1man2jobs

rolling cages themselves actually come with operating manuals. you can find them online on google if you search with the model number on cage.

cages should be used as designed. they have not been designed to be used as coffins. yes it happens, but that's no different to lying the same cage down to use as a kick stool. it is going against operated design.

the problem with picking up coffins is that the gaps between each side are designed to close into each other. I would encourage anyone to research what one of these cages and a wedding ring looks like when things go wrong.

a simple ten second conversation with your health and safety rep will resolve this. it also says in the manual to keep the cages on the wheels and use as intended.

hesketh

Quote from: Nomad on 21-03-22, 12:27PM
If a manager says you must ask for it in writing, signed, dated and MM name printed.  If MM changes asked for it to be counter signed etc or a completely new document.  Get injured ! you're covered  :)

Use your noodle  :-*

Total nonsense!

If you do anything, knowing that it is wrong, then no signed piece of paper absolves you from responsibility. Refuse and let the "manager" escalate the issue until someone with a brain tells them to wind their neck in.

The very act of demanding the instruction in writing demonstrates that you know it is wrong.....

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

FarmerFred

Quote from: NightAndDay on 21-03-22, 01:41PM
That used to be common practice at my old store to, one time someone did report the practice to the HSE, when the suits came round to assess they gave the SM a stern talking to, strangely though nothing was heard of it since and the person who complained got fired as they found things in her bag.

If it did come down to it though the HSE are powerless against Tesco, if they pipe up, Ken Murphy will just turn the UK into an impoverished country akin to many African countries.
Retail & associated premises don't come under HSE - they come under the local Environmental Health bodies.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Quote from: 1man2jobs on 21-03-22, 02:25PM
rolling cages themselves actually come with operating manuals. you can find them online on google if you search with the model number on cage.

cages should be used as designed. they have not been designed to be used as coffins. yes it happens, but that's no different to lying the same cage down to use as a kick stool. it is going against operated design.

the problem with picking up coffins is that the gaps between each side are designed to close into each other. I would encourage anyone to research what one of these cages and a wedding ring looks like when things go wrong.

a simple ten second conversation with your health and safety rep will resolve this. it also says in the manual to keep the cages on the wheels and use as intended.

Years in business and still having conversations around the health and safety of moving and handling of cages.  ;D  Amateur!

1man2jobs

^You obviously got grief with another user but it seems your inability to read or use a forum has got you confused thinking I am someone else. No brains

NightAndDay

There is no point of the higher ups listening to the serfs, following the law is so pedestrian, Tesco are above all government bodies and can do as they please.

They have an open communication channel to appear inclusive and diverse but it's all a charade.

BUY TESLA STOCK

[admin]Insults stop here. [/admin]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk