News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 10:32AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,364
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 516
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 395
Total: 397

JACKS TO CLOSE AND MORE JOBS GOING

Started by Vinny1985, 01-02-22, 07:05AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinny1985

Just seen the news on Jack's closing. Also more job loses. Not nice anyone losing their job. Good luck to everyone effected.

[admin]https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jan/31/tesco-to-close-jacks-discount-chain [/admin]

vyvan70

Not surprised, Jacks was a flop from the start and a laughable attempt from Tesco to try and compete with Aldi/Lidl because their greed cannot stand to see somebody doing miles better than they are. Couldn't care less about Tesco - but I do wish everybody who's job is at risk my best wishes. Hopefully people can be moved into other stores or roles. This is yet another shameless greedy move from Tesco to try and squeeze every penny (not that they're short of it anyway).

SoullessExile77

After reading the artical in the news about store closures and whatnot my store yesterday announced that night shift will be going at some point and twilight fill will be coming back. Seems ironic that bomb was dropped at more or less the same time!!

Vinny1985

So how long have you had nights for? If you are going back to twilight? Are you a busy store? City centre?

Dkdiablo

I'm one of the affected. I've done the twilight shift as overtime and I can tell you that in our shop it won't work. I'll spend more time dodging in-between customers and answering their questions resulting in less stock on the shelves. Our morning shift will be affected too as I usually do the bake ready for opening as well as taking in all the deliveries. In short I'll be working less but the pressure will be on the early shift who are sometimes one on one for the first 2 hrs

blablabla

Do we have a list of stores going twilight?

tescopleb

Sad to see anyone losing their jobs but why is anyone surprised by this - it's just the latest thinking in retail as determined by some Muppet in HO. We've been here before, Nightshift, to twilight, to morning fill and back again all because said Muppet thinks they know better,  while forgetting it's people's lives they are playing with. In reality Head Office are just making an awful shopping experience even worse.

Dkdiablo

Quote from: blablabla on 01-02-22, 01:20PM
Don't know about the big stores but I have been told all express stores will lose the night-shift, which is ridiculous as there's a reason why there's one to start off with. Still in my honest opinion HO is clueless most are ignorant about what happens at ground level.

tescopleb

I'm rather hoping that there will be such a customer backlash that they will, for once, have to actually LISTEN to their customers. and have a rethink about getting rid of nightshift.

TheMountain

Quote from: Dkdiablo on 01-02-22, 01:04PM
I'm one of the affected. I've done the twilight shift as overtime and I can tell you that in our shop it won't work. I'll spend more time dodging in-between customers and answering their questions resulting in less stock on the shelves. Our morning shift will be affected too as I usually do the bake ready for opening as well as taking in all the deliveries. In short I'll be working less but the pressure will be on the early shift who are sometimes one on one for the first 2 hrs

Does this suggest that colleagues in the shops effected have already been told about the switch to twilight fill?
Nothing was said to us before or during our night shift last night.

Vinny1985

Quote from: Dkdiablo on 01-02-22, 01:33PM
Quote from: blablabla on 01-02-22, 01:20PM
Don't know about the big stores but I have been told all express stores will lose the night-shift, which is ridiculous as there's a reason why there's one to start off with. Still in my honest opinion HO is clueless most are ignorant about what happens at ground level.

Can you tell us what level you heard all express night shift are going? Is that going to be all of themin this wave. Any info would be great

BUY TESLA STOCK

Even large Extra stores could be filled during the day. This puts colleagues on the shop floor to assist customers, stops some theft and would mean the company wouldn't have to pay some of the most costly managers especially the lead managers and the TMs on 55k everyone talks of nowadays. (-*-)

tescopleb

Tesla we've heard it all before, unfortunately that's the view from the accountants office. The reality is something rather different as customers don't like it anymore than colleagues and even less gets done.

Nikkih4586

We where told last night that our night shift are going by the store manager ends sometime in April..we are tesco xtra .. we were all quite shocked 😲 as there had been nothing mentioned about it at all ..redundancy here I come .. will not be doing twilight's

Sharonc68

We were told last night our store will be going on twilight end April beginning May all shocked didnt expected it.

StinkyPoo

BUY TESLA STOCK

Quote from: tescopleb on 01-02-22, 03:23PM
Tesla we've heard it all before, unfortunately that's the view from the accountants office. The reality is something rather different as customers don't like it anymore than colleagues and even less gets done.

It's about profit not customers/colleague. You don't need to fill as fast when you strip out the management budget for starters...

penguin

Quote from: tescopleb on 01-02-22, 01:45PM
I'm rather hoping that there will be such a customer backlash that they will, for once, have to actually LISTEN to their customers. and have a rethink about getting rid of nightshift.

Will make no difference, plenty of backlash over the years, think counters being removed from some stores in the past, 24 hour going, changes to checkouts back in the day (anyone else remember the days of checkout staff sat on a till waiting for a customer, no one in front etc back then) even the smaller things, we had one bloke who kicked off when all the rules on staff dress code changed in about 2017 and people could for example turn up for work with green hair etc, and did anything come from any backlash, nope nothing plans went ahead as per head office wishes.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

lackofinterest

please, please, please stop shopping at tosco. vote with your feet it's the best way to treat the greedy s*** at the top >:( >:( >:( >:D

BarryZola

Obviously feel for anyone on night shift who doesn't actually want redundancy BUT it's gonna be hilarious in my store (extra) if they get rid of nightshift.

Gonna be some right mess when staff get in for the morning shifts. Or when the pickers need all of the stock to be on the shelves...

On the other hand, at least the day staff might get an easier ride with a bit more help instead of being expected to fill stock, do Dotcom and go on checkouts all in one shift. They can share all of the hassle from customers also.

kaled78

my store has no-one on grocery until 11am,and no backdoorman until 10am,if nights go,I wonder if the people who were moved to these later shifts due to business needs,will be asked to change back to the 5am starts!

BUY TESLA STOCK

Quote from: BarryZola on 01-02-22, 04:37PM
Obviously feel for anyone on night shift who doesn't actually want redundancy BUT it's gonna be hilarious in my store (extra) if they get rid of nightshift.

Gonna be some right mess when staff get in for the morning shifts. Or when the pickers need all of the stock to be on the shelves...

On the other hand, at least the day staff might get an easier ride with a bit more help instead of being expected to fill stock, do Dotcom and go on checkouts all in one shift. They can share all of the hassle from customers also.

The pickers will be picking the nose soon this jobs getting automated.

BarryZola

"The pickers will be picking the nose soon this jobs getting automated".

Most probably, but it'll take them several years yet to roll out that infrastructure. Then they'll still need staff in those centres to make sure everything runs smoothly etc. It's not going to happen overnight.

BUY TESLA STOCK

They only staff will be a techno king engineer not a £10 monkey.

Nightproduceworker

Any of your stores affected have .com? .com what saved us a few years back but reading the article night shift is going completely.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk