News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

16-04-24, 10:19AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,338
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 139
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 139
Total: 140

Management restructure

Started by beentheredoneit, 03-03-21, 11:16PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightAndDay

Indeed, £20k 5 years ago was a deposit for a house, nawadays it's about what we'd spend a year on utilities.

Couldntpossiblysay

I'm trying to make sure I don't take a job for the sake of it. I'd rather get tesco out my system. Then really look around for a reasonable job. With the decent pay off I'll get it makes sense not to rush into a job you may regret taking. 

NightAndDay

As far as jobs go, they don't get much worse than Tesco, always important to keep the notion of 2 different types of job, there are careers and there are jobs that are just a job.

Even for people who have settled on Retail as a career, Tesco pre-2014 compared to post 2014 has seen Tesco go from "a place to get on" to just a job. A job that isn't intended as a career should always be aimed to be a temporary endeavour, you should avoid becoming comfortable in your job intended to be a stop gap

Tesco used to be top dog amongst retailers, now they're third from the bottom, still though, even with this being the case, Supermarket Retailers everywhere have become harder to make a career out of in no small part thanks to the cost cutting culture of recent years.

Nomad

When you get a job they want you, At some time in the future you will become dispensable.

Get in first, put correctly it looks better on your CV.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Redshoes

Sometimes the devil you know is the one to stick with.
We have had a few colleagues leave recently, they are now trying to get back.  I have seen this so many times over the years.  They thought themselves marvellous and that we would be unable to manage without them.  It was mostly a big sigh of relief all round when they went. 
I worked in a store many years ago that had a constant stream of manager stepping down.  The tough times we are having just now are not new.  As an old hand I have seen it all before.  The job has got easier over the years and we are now just going back to what it was.  We used to have bigger teams but the tasks we did were different.  If you have time to stand and chat to another colleague or take unofficial or extended breaks I would question how your role will look going forward.
I don't see the point in replying to everyone who complains by saying "go get another job", its not helpful but I do think that when it comes to being so unhappy in work that you dread going in that it is not a good way to live your life.  We should work to live and not live to work.  It's a fine balance.  Those who have left have made that jump, they have found that job and sometimes the grass is greener but from what I have seen for many this is not the case. 
We have to change the way we do things.  Time is removed for certain tasks, we simply can't function if we try to continue if we continue to do these tasks.  Standards have to change. 
The manager role is often about filling and serving, some will move on because of this.  It's not because they are lazy its because they are under constant pressure as they have a job to do and no time to do it in.  Colleagues don't like it when they are employed on grocery but spend a great deal of their time on checkouts.  Its the same for managers, they are not employed to fill shelves and they are still being told to deliver pay review meetings, holiday meetings book and fill overtime and all the work that goes into what needs to be done on the work and pay system.
The whole point in the restructure was to reduce the manager head count.  This has happened in every store I know of, but I don't yet know of one that is at structure.  As such the workload is uneven, the head count is hugely different. The store I am in has one too many managers.  If one left they would then get four shift leads, as it is we now have one unofficial shift lead.  The shift leads run the shop floor and the managers should do the admin part of the job that has actually got bigger and not smaller.  As it stands the managers fill shelves and do a very quick and hasty stab at the admin and as such the overtime is not planned far enough in advance, holidays are not 100% correct or even close sometimes.  Even so, nobody wants to be told that they can just up sticks and move to a much better job on more money, for many it is not that easy and very unhelpful. If it was a simple as that we would all do it.  I play the lottery but I don't plan my life around winning.  My life is that I will work hard until I retire and I may even have to work past my retirement age.  My parents were both retired at the age I am now. This will be the reality for many.

Davethebave

Very good post above  :thumbup:

oldfashionedplayer

Think our store is the only store that gained extra then redshoes lol, we went from 1 night manager to 3, and they've had to change the training room into a management open office due to the new day managers we've got, we had plenty before... So I think jj know where the managers all went to from elsewhere  ;)

biggguy

People leaving Tesco and wanting back???? In nearly 30 years working for Tescos never heard of anyone leaving and wanting back that's both gas and mms

kaled78

we had bakers take redundancy because they could not do the new shift patterns when they came out a few years ago,2 of them are now back re-employed in the bakery doing the hours they originally said they could not do for less money,both of them,blew their redundancy on new cars and foriegn holidays,1 had to sell the new car as they could not afford to run it,they both swore they would never come back to tesco after being made redundant.

lucgeo

And there were those who were offered a good redundancy package, usually a year's pay. They took it, paid debts off etc...had six months break or found temp alternative employment elsewhere. They would have said they couldn't do the hours offered in order to get the redundancy, not because the couldn't do them ;) Walked back into their old jobs six months later, on less hours with plenty of overtime because nobody had been trained in the interim! Typical Tesco tunnel vision  :-X :-X

People who know their worth, will not refuse a good redundancy package, knowing their job will probably be there waiting for their 6 month return!
Many who didn't take the May 2019 redundancy offer, regretted it down the line, as they were shafted again and again!

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Redshoes

Quote from: biggguy on 22-04-22, 04:55AM
People leaving Tesco and wanting back???? In nearly 30 years working for Tescos never heard of anyone leaving and wanting back that's both gas and mms

I suppose that depends on jobs in the area. I have worked in England and Scotland in my 30 years and have seen both managers and ga's come back. I have seen both levels go to Lidl and come back. I have seen countless ga's come back. I work with a few now. Some left with redundancy but not all. For example, in the store I work in now, one just left for pastures new but is back with us and another did take redundancy and came back but changed formats. I have seen people come back as festive temps as they are quick to train but they were not kept on at the end of the festive period. I also know of three trying to get back, they just left for pastures new but it has not worked out well for them. I even know of managers who can't get back as ga's. I saw that with the first ever redundancies I ever saw about 28-29 years ago and I have seen it many times since.
As I understand it you now can't come back within a year.

Sherwoodforest

I did think it was 6 months and you can return,
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

Couldntpossiblysay

It is definitely 6 months. We've all been told this. I've got a new night shift position elsewhere but fully expect the night shift to be back in November at the latest. The store is simply too busy to cope. I know folk will say you've heard it all before but given that 70% of the nightshift are going and a few that are staying are only doing so till they get jobs says it all. Only once the full shambles kicks in will tesco realise they can't do it. I won't be there to see it but Mark my words it will happen.

We all thought the night shift would be back in our store when  it was removed to. we were one of the first to loose it when tesco first started the cull a few years ago. If I'm honest it was very hard standards we're totally shocking! and in the months after we often had agency staff in on nights to fill! But things did slowly improve. but over the next few years tesco have continued to cut hour on days and twilights and what they expect is in my opinion is near on unachievable and the shop standards are very poor again now. the only difference now from a few years ago is that due to the many management restructures know body cares or is either bothering. The company is not at all that it once was. It doesn't care about customers colleagues or shop floor standards anymore I really wouldn't bank on night shift making a return once it's removed!

lucgeo

8-)Was it a full removal of night shift, or just that your total night shift took redundancy ? 8-)

I don't recall the entire night shift operation being removed, just restructured and redundancy offered.
If it is the case this time, that the stores are dispensing with a night team completely and moving to day and twilight fills, then they cannot have anyone in to do nights during the following six months!

I really can't see day fills being reinstated for very long, it's bad enough trying to get to the shelves during rumbles, dot com trollies, SAYS customers who faff about with their PDA's, blue tops for discontinued etc...etc...
Bringing two cages out for filling and cardboard on an aisle during busy hours, will not be tolerated by customers, especially if they don't reinstate the cage location spots on aisles, which are now overflowing with OFDS. Abandoned cages in aisles, whilst they've just been told to " hop on a checkout for a minute" two hours ago!!

Day fills will not last, twilight maybe, but it won't be long until those hours start creeping into night fills, with no premiums.

londoner83

Think it depends on type of store and its trade pattern. If you could recruit sufficient staff we could probably fill our ambient on twilight and fresh early mornings and I work in a extra. However as a store down the road that is losing their night fill is finding very few people are applying for approx 16hr a week roles between 6 and 10am or 6pm and midnight.

Yeah it was complete removal of nights it happened in our store around 2016/17 if I remember rightly Tesco culled around 4000 staff In various different roles and a few stores lost the night shift. Since then slowly other stores have been removed to over the last few year stores around me have also lost the night shift so it's nothing new I just think we hear about it more when it's happening to more stores. 
when we lost ours staff were given the option to move to the new twilight roles or to apply to another store on nights but for less hrs. Most took redundancy as the new twilight hrs were not enough to live on.
Also we had Cage locations added to the aisles to help with congestion when filling. If I'm honest it's not that bad really but we are not a dot com store so not sure how it would impact others.  In our store fresh is obviously filled first thing  so we always have fresh team around.
Grocery gets filled between 1pm and midnight.  and normally just have 1 staff member in the mornings on wine and spirits.  gm and clothing get filled throughout the day in our store

Couldntpossiblysay

The biggest issue our store has is 1. Desperately poor managers and 2. Even allowing for them being poor they would be struggling to control what goes on as they don't have the numbers or time to do it. Temps been in use for weeks and their productivity is shocking. By the early summer the store will be a nightmare to work or shop in. I'm sure the managers will be told to make it work but there are loads of vacancies in an around our area so the staff getting recruited are poor to say the least. I do pity those staying as they will be get more frustrated by the day.  I feel a huge weight off my shoulders and know I've a very large payout so if my next job doesn't work out I can move again or even take time off. Good luck to everybody staying. You will need it.

NightAndDay

Tesco has admitted to having recruitment issues and this in a large part is part of the reason why they are limiting night shifts in stores.

Even with new hires, the problem still remains that the wages and hours offered is simply too low to attract people that aren't students who have other priorities and tend to be unreliable and disloyal or warm bodies that have no common sense or life skills. The adage "pay peanuts get monkeys" rings very true in these instances, this is also not helped by the fact that there is little in the way of career progression. To most people, this will be just a job and not a career.

The cost of living is rising faster than wages, the real living wage foundation has the current value pegged at £9.90 for areas outside of London and £11.05 inside, this was also updated last September, I have my own scrutiny about how the living wage is calculated and why it is set as 2 rates, London and the rest of the UK (Where I live, it's more expensive than London, average rent for a small studio flat is on average £2,000 a month where I live and pints at the pub are £8) a wage of £9.90 would not be enough to live here but that's besides the point.

When it is calculated for this year, It will have to take into account the rampant inflation of goods, meaning the value, by my estimate will go from £9.90 to £12 an hour and £14 an hour in London, the fact tjis is calculated only once per year and not much more frequently only serves to be disingenous  and undermines its core mission of political influence for living standards.

Tesla

"Make it work" "desperately poor managers"

Is it the Glasgow Silverburn store you work at.

Bobmay

I am wondering are they still removing nightshift for stores? In my store I work at it was an metro store however it became express. There were 30 people who worked night shift in the store. Now after they changed to express store with many people leaving they didn't hire anyone that only leaves 13 people including nigh shift manager.  I heard some changes are coming this September to the store however no one has told me what the changes are.  I strongly believe that they will remove night shift in this store.  Already we have far less people to help in night only 3 people per night and are struggling. I have been offered position by sm for morning and evening shift which is odd considering we have barely any staff in the night and are already massively struggling. Delivery is  also coming in early in the afternoon and early morning around 9 and 12 in the afternoon this is becoming common.

The store has also lost around 3 people per week every few weeks who worked in the evening and morning with no replacement.  Colleagues also received papers to state the hours they are available a few months back I however didn't.

So what do you think?

lucgeo

Don't agree to anything at the moment! If you've worked many years, you could miss out on a good redundancy package!
If the night shift is going, and there's no redundancy on the table, then you should be offered a protected pay deal, whereby you're night shift payments will be protected for a set time!

Agree to nothing...sign nothing...wait to see what's in the pipeline or If changes are afoot ???  ??? Or you can AGREE IN WRITING to a 4 week trial, to see if it's suitable, but not be committed to the change!

Redshoes

Quote from: Bobmay on 24-08-22, 07:45AMI am wondering are they still removing nightshift for stores? In my store I work at it was an metro store however it became express. There were 30 people who worked night shift in the store. Now after they changed to express store with many people leaving they didn't hire anyone that only leaves 13 people including nigh shift manager.  I heard some changes are coming this September to the store however no one has told me what the changes are.  I strongly believe that they will remove night shift in this store.  Already we have far less people to help in night only 3 people per night and are struggling. I have been offered position by sm for morning and evening shift which is odd considering we have barely any staff in the night and are already massively struggling. Delivery is  also coming in early in the afternoon and early morning around 9 and 12 in the afternoon this is becoming common.

The store has also lost around 3 people per week every few weeks who worked in the evening and morning with no replacement.  Colleagues also received papers to state the hours they are available a few months back I however didn't.

So what do you think?

I can't believe 30 on night shift in a metro.  I'm in a middle size superstore and we have not had a night team in years. We have a team of 5 plus manager work 30-40 cages a night.  On a Sat we get about 50 cages that is worked Sat into Sunday. There are the 5 Sat but only 3 on Sun.

Bobmay

Quote from: Redshoes on 24-08-22, 08:55AM
Quote from: Bobmay on 24-08-22, 07:45AMI am wondering are they still removing nightshift for stores? In my store I work at it was an metro store however it became express. There were 30 people who worked night shift in the store. Now after they changed to express store with many people leaving they didn't hire anyone that only leaves 13 people including nigh shift manager.  I heard some changes are coming this September to the store however no one has told me what the changes are.  I strongly believe that they will remove night shift in this store.  Already we have far less people to help in night only 3 people per night and are struggling. I have been offered position by sm for morning and evening shift which is odd considering we have barely any staff in the night and are already massively struggling. Delivery is  also coming in early in the afternoon and early morning around 9 and 12 in the afternoon this is becoming common.

So what do you think?

I can't believe 30 on night shift in a metro.  I'm in a middle size superstore and we have not had a night team in years. We have a team of 5 plus manager work 30-40 cages a night.  On a Sat we get about 50 cages that is worked Sat into Sunday. There are the 5 Sat but only 3 on Sun.

The place I work is in an train station with tesco and other stores such as McDonald.So you can understand how busy it is.I was just wondering has anyone experience nightshift being removed recently in their express and are they in busy place. You said you had nightshift removed from your store how long ago?

Bobmay

Quote from: lucgeo on 24-08-22, 08:05AMDon't agree to anything at the moment! If you've worked many years, you could miss out on a good redundancy package!
If the night shift is going, and there's no redundancy on the table, then you should be offered a protected pay deal, whereby you're night shift payments will be protected for a set time!

Agree to nothing...sign nothing...wait to see what's in the pipeline or If changes are afoot ???  ??? Or you can AGREE IN WRITING to a 4 week trial, to see if it's suitable, but not be committed to the change!

I already have another job and also waiting for the response of the other Job which I have applied.I am just wondering if there is another person who had experienced night shift being removed from their store eventhough it was extremely busy. In my store they pay around 20 thousand pound an month for staff in the night shift if they were to give all the remaining staff plus the night manger redundancy it would be about 250,000 maximum.Which they can save in staff cost adter 3 years.The store manager is also giving lots of pressure to staff for them to leave which I dont understand the reason considering already tons of staff left from the store and they arent hiring anyone.the store manager even said to me she wants me to go to morning and few other staff even though we are struggling in the nights. So I am wondering if the manager is doing this pressure to staff so they can leave before they announce layoff. The amount of money this store has made an massively gone down with instead of 5 deliveries we only recieve 2 to 4 deliveries. We have also been for the past couple of months being getting visit from the area manager and head office. Some colleagues to fill in their hour of avalibitty I haven't received any form yet.So what do think is nights being removed?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk