News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:21PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,120
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 303
Total: 308

News articles

Started by Nomad, 21-03-18, 10:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucgeo

As are we all  :o
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

barafear

So "Living Wage Foundation" announced a £1 increase to £10.90 an hour (outside London) - although not the official NLW, it's likely that it will "track it" - so even if the official NLW only increases by 75p an hour next April, that will be £10.25 (15p more than we get at the mo) - and maybe higher.
In addition, I read that M&S have increase their pay by another 20p an hour (after a 50p increase in April) taking hourly rate to £10.20 (similar to what Sainsburys did) -
Wonder will Tecso still drag their heels?

T.C.1

So Tesco is under pressure for another pay rise this year as other supermarkets have raised there's again. Even the youngsters in our store are leaving for better paid jobs I wonder if Tesco will respond?

barafear

That is indeed the question - but the evidence of the last few years would suggest not; Tesco have developed an annoying tactic of delaying our pay rises as long as possible, and even then barely being above the NLW by the time April comes around.
Unfortunately, it does seem that those who stated it is a race to the bottom for retailers are indeed correct. And rather like the utilities price cap, no company will veer too much away from doing the minimum it can do (i.e. pay as little as possible whilst remaining legal and also being able to "trumpet" their generous treatment of staff.
The NLW increased last year from £8.92 to £9.50 (an increase of 6% or 58p); given the Living Wage Foundation has just increased by £1.00 (10.1%), even an 8% increase in the NLW would see a 76p increase to £10.26.
The issue with the "large" increases in the minimum wage is the squeeze on the next level above. So, a team support role - I think they get about £1.90 extra (I'm sure someone will correct me) - I can't see Tesco wanting to increase that too much - so if the next pay award sees our base pay (B/C grade) increase to £10.55, then would Team Support see their pay increase to £12.50? If Tesco didn't think this would be affordable, they would reduce the skills payment and maybe only increase Team Support to £12.25? After all, it's way above NLW - and Tesco might feel that is the correct rate of pay for the role. However, it then disincentivises people from taking those roles.

And we're not getting far off a new manager's starting salary.

Let's say a Team Support works 36 hours a week @ £12.50/hr = £450 a week or £23,400 a year.

barafear

Of course, I forgot to mention the dreaded thing hanging over "most of our heads" in that Sundays/BH extra 25% will surely go sooner rather than later - and if Tesco are "forced" into a "big" pay increase (let's say 6%+), then it seems inevitable that the premium would go.

ToscoIsGreedy

Lidl now adopting the living wage. £10.90 starting wage going up to £12.00. Inside M25 starting at 11.95-13.00

Shift managers, equivalent to old team leaders are on 11.95-13.00 an hour outside m25, 12.95-14.00 inside.

A shift manager is now on between 27-32k a year depending on if you work 40 or 47.5 hours a week.

Bobmay

Quote from: T.C.1 on 22-09-22, 05:48PMSo Tesco is under pressure for another pay rise this year as other supermarkets have raised there's again. Even the youngsters in our store are leaving for better paid jobs I wonder if Tesco will respond?

They will be cutting staff numbers down in various places wether removing more nights from more stores or by removing managers.

Bobmay

Quote from: ToscoIsGreedy on 22-09-22, 08:57PMLidl now adopting the living wage. £10.90 starting wage going up to £12.00. Inside M25 starting at 11.95-13.00

Shift managers, equivalent to old team leaders are on 11.95-13.00 an hour outside m25, 12.95-14.00 inside.

A shift manager is now on between 27-32k a year depending on if you work 40 or 47.5 hours a week.

I always said this.Tesco will be removing managers and having shift leaders instead with 1 store manager.I said this mutliple times and I believe this will be happening soon.When tesco wages increase they will be cutting down on managers and also other places like nights and instead have people filling in morning and evening and early. They will be removing things such as barley in store aswell.

Bobmay

Quote from: barafear on 22-09-22, 07:26PMOf course, I forgot to mention the dreaded thing hanging over "most of our heads" in that Sundays/BH extra 25% will surely go sooner rather than later - and if Tesco are "forced" into a "big" pay increase (let's say 6%+), then it seems inevitable that the premium would go.

I was told by the manager there will be no night premium aswell.I know they will be removing bank holiday Sunday and night premium.

Nomad

Britain's Tesco under pressure to raise staff pay rates after rivals hike

QuoteBritain's biggest retailer and one of the country's largest private sector employers, is facing union calls to increase store workers' pay after several rivals raised hourly rates for a second time this year.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Nomad

Tesco's share price in the doldrums

QuoteTesco's share price, which started the year well by trading in 11-year highs close to minor psychological resistance at 300p, continues to slide and now trades in one-year lows as the cost-of-living crisis bites and soaring inflation negatively affects UK consumer spending
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

Could a new Tesco on the Isle of Wight fuel public disorder if given a midnight alcohol licence?

QuoteIn a report being sent to the committee, officers are recommending the licence be approved as it is, in part due to the proven track record Tesco has for staff training.

Now now no laughing at the back  ;D
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

barafear

Quote from: Nomad on 23-09-22, 11:02AMBritain's Tesco under pressure to raise staff pay rates after rivals hike

QuoteBritain's biggest retailer and one of the country's largest private sector employers, is facing union calls to increase store workers' pay after several rivals raised hourly rates for a second time this year.

That will be the mighty USDAW union badgering Tesco to pay their staff more because their competitors are doing so.
That's sorted then - I'm sure we'll have our payrise by the end of Sept!!
2022 hopefully!!

lordadmiral

more money for rich reducing PIT is fine but why rich people get better deal.

barafear

In short, it might be "politics"
In terms of "economics", it's been met with a lot of negativity.
The reality is that in terms of the tax cuts/NI reversal, the more you earn, the more you gain/save.
And if you happen to earn over £150k then that gain becomes even bigger.
But let's not kid ourselves and think that currently people that earn over £150k are not already minimising their tax bills with various schemes.
The simple premise is that those people that don't pay tax or NI (i.e. those on UC/earning less than £12570) will "gain" nothing.
Those paying the most tax/NI already will gain the most in money (£) terms - but in % terms, everyone under £150k gains/saves about the same.

Happyshopper

Anyone else heard anything about the new shift leader incentive package to try and keep shift leaders from leaving as on my group there leaving and can't get people to do the role(express format)apparently was a SM meeting a week or too ago talking about it ?

( Please find a suitable topic for your question, this section is for posting news links and discussion of them.  Admin. )

Teddybonkers

Yeah - its an extra 10p per hour (provided you've cleaned the toilets and swept the shop floor before you go home) :D 

Nomad

A TESCO store in Bournemouth has been told improvements are needed following a food hygiene inspection.

QuoteA spokesperson for Tesco said: "Making sure our stores are safe and clean for customers and colleagues is our number one priority

Except Bournemouth, apparently.  :(
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

lackofinterest

and no doubt lots of other stores, including ours, which they haven't visited :-X

Nomad

Tesco staff pay rise: November 2022 pay increase explained

QuoteThe retailer said it has also enhanced the selection of free food and hygiene products available to its employees in staff rooms.

Any evidence/experience of this  :question:

HO perhaps  ???
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Sherwoodforest

We do have a selection of food (for consumption at work)in our canteen,soups,noodles,tuna,cereal,beans,spaghetti hoops etc
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

BritishRacingGreen

and fresh fruit - apples, oranges, bananas  in ours.

Hammer10

We are lucky if we get bread and maybe cup a soup if they remember.

lucgeo

Are they obliged to offer these products, is this something they agreed to when the canteens lost their staff? If yes, then they should provide the same across the board to each store, if not, then it's complimentary only.

I recall the changing areas/toilets having tables with hygiene products and sunscreen for the free use of all staff. But as per, you get the usual light fingered who'd take owt not nailed down!   :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk