News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:10AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 170
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Sickness policy

Started by Gooner73, 02-03-20, 09:58PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooner73

Hi, can someone help me.
I've been off sick since last monday. I'm part time, working 2 days a week. As far as im aware, im entitled to self certify myself for 1 wk. Do the senior managers have the right to call you and try to catch your words, demand a sicknote and try to make you come back early. Or should they be waiting for you to call and tell them when your returning?

lucgeo

You are entitled to self cert, but as its Monday today, then you are into the eighth day so over the week for self cert...I take it you were due to do a shift today, but you didn't?

When you call in sick, you should give an idea of the length of time you may be off...e.g. a sore throat could not be comparable to flu, so obviously after a day or two, you would have an idea if you will be off longer and not available for an upcoming shift, or that you would be returning, as you believe you'll be recovered by then. So you would need to update them of your intentions.

They would have expected a call from you, to the duty manager yesterday, at the latest , to update if you weren't going to be available for your shift today...but you would need to be providing a fit note from your doctor to cover you for today and any further absence.
And yes they do gave a right to call you, especially if you have been incommunicado, as they are not only about hassling you, but feel duty bound to check you are ok, and your silence isn't due to something more serious.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Redshoes

It is your responsibility to stay in touch. If you only work two days a wk you would be required to ring in within a minimum of one hour of starting that shift, then again for the next. If you have said you will self certify for that wk you need to ring in prior to the next shift after that.
It's all about the staying in touch. If you don't know if you are going to be fit for your next shift this will require you to ring in and update more often. If you know for sure and you can say unfit for a period of time you still need to stay in touch but less often.

madness

Short of you being hooked up to a life support machine you need to let them know. It is just common decency to let your work know if you are coming back so they can plan to cover your shift.
You have a job because the role you do needs done and yes sometimes there is slack in the system to cover it but it means someone else has to do more or another department has to cover and put off a job they wanted to do.

The reason for a week of self cert is yes people get sick, tummy bugs, headaches etc so we don't need to be adding to doctors workload just for a 1 off short term illness.

However once you get past a week then that is the generally accepted cut off point for being more serious.
If you were so ill as to be unable to get to work for over a week you are going to have something pretty nasty or serious so anyone would expect you to have at least contacted a doctor and the very least let your employer know when you are likely to return

Imagine you run your own shop and have 2 part timers that help you out meaning you can have 2 days off a week.  1 of them goes off sick so you work a 6th day that week to cover them.  You'd like to know roughly when they will be back wouldn't you?

It is no different a principle just because of Tescos size.

fatboy

wtf

[admin]Previous spam post deleted. If you see any spam posts by members (normally new ones) please use the 'report to moderator' link. It will bring it to our attention and we will ban the member and delete the post(s).[/admin]

Sammie247

Apologies, I don’t know how to start a new topic.
I am suffering with a number of health conditions and have been advised to get a sick line from the doctors. However I work 11.25 hours a week which is £101.25 roughly a week I get paid and I’ve seen online that you can only get SSP if you earn around £120 a week. Is this true? I have worked for tesco since 2017.

Sarah106

Yes this is true A friend of mine used to do 1 night a week and did not get any sick pay if they were off. It does say on the government website you have to earn £120 a week to get ssp

Tinkerbell1234

Hi I was called by track and trace I had to isolate for 4 days do we get paid

sammy

Yes you will get paid, did you mean 14 days?

lucgeo

Quote from: Sammie247 on 12-08-20, 11:31PM
Apologies, I don’t know how to start a new topic.
I am suffering with a number of health conditions and have been advised to get a sick line from the doctors. However I work 11.25 hours a week which is £101.25 roughly a week I get paid and I’ve seen online that you can only get SSP if you earn around £120 a week. Is this true? I have worked for tesco since 2017.

Doesn't state whether £120 is gross or net pay?  And it states average £120, so have you done extra hours?
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Tinkerbell1234

No track and trace called me last thursday and said I may have been exposed to coronavirus on the 28th july and that I need to isolate till tuesday which is 4 days so was off from from 7th till 11 August my manager said is sick pay I was not sick

penguin

It is sick pay despite not being sick yourself, as you were in isolation to contain the coronavirus.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Tinkerbell1234

Does that mean first 3 days i dont get paid

penguin

No you will get paid from day one due to being contacted by track and trace

NightAndDay

Tesco has a seperate sick pay policy for Coronavirus, it is not subject to the 3 day unpaid period.

Tinkerbell1234

What do i do if not  paid

penguin

If not paid you raise a grievance for unpaid wages in breach of company coronavirus policy, and do not accept being told it will be paid next payday, if it is not in your wages next Friday you insist on it being paid that very day.

Cinderella

Quote from: NightAndDay on 13-08-20, 01:39PM
Tesco has a seperate sick pay policy for Coronavirus, it is not subject to the 3 day unpaid period.

In my store they have stopped following that, stating they no longer have to

Nomad

Cinderella, I get the distinct feeling somebody in MM at your store needs their arse kicked.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

King1999

Sounds like bullying,pretty sure while the virus is around they have to pay you on your first day.More tossers on a power trip.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Cinderella on 28-08-20, 11:20AM
Quote from: NightAndDay on 13-08-20, 01:39PM

In my store they have stopped following that, stating they no longer have to

I'm fairly sure there is legislation that says otherwise, ask the CAB about this, if they say it's the law, write a grievance with the assistance of ACAS saying that by not paying you covid related sick pay, Tesco is breaking the law. As always make duplicates of grievances and other legally sensitive documentation so that if it does go to the EAT you'll be prepared to receive hopefully a company liquidating amount as compensation as ordered by the Judge.

Found this for more info.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/512/contents/made

Cinderella

You know, people from other stores keep telling me any self isolation is fully paid at their store, but at mine they just won’t do it. I was told to self isolate twice, and was only fully paid for the first one. Or so they say, still waiting to hear back on the minus hours on my pay slip!

Another colleague was told to self isolate as her husband has symptoms, but when his test came back negative, she returned to work and as it was less than three days she lost the pay. “We no longer have to follow the government advice” seems to be the narrative in my store!

Welshie

I thought the policy  from the start was you only got covid isolation pay once  after that it was normal sickness policy  .

wespie

I was sick last Friday night and phoned up to let them know I was unfit to work and was told by duty manager that I was to go in to work.  When it got to about 2pm in the afternoon and I couldn't take any more of holding my sick in and trying not to be sick, I decided to go home, told staff members I was going and they said they would let my produce manager know as she was on a break and nowhere to be seen, also all the other managers where outside dealing with a problem.

I returned to work on Weds to be given my working notice by the produce manager with no explanation as to why I was being sacked, so now I don't know what to do as it is being unreasonable and surely not right that they have sacked me for having sickness and diarrhoea and working in produce,

Nomad

Are you temp or permanent ?
Are you in a union ? if yes, which.
How long have you worked at company ?
What is your sickness % ?

All these may help others help you.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk