Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:59PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Bakers, are you affected how do you feel?

Started by forrestgimp, 25-02-20, 07:17PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samuel137

I've got another 2 more meetings so I'll bring it up and see what they say.

Samuel137

So I had another meeting, I actually got a new letter with a new figure for my redundancy package. This time the last 12 weeks average weekly pay was filled which was a lot more than my basic weekly cause of overtime and they go on the larger amount so I'll be getting 2k more than what I would be if they went on my basic weekly.

kateluff

Quote from: Samuel137 on 18-04-20, 04:08AM
So I had another meeting, I actually got a new letter with a new figure for my redundancy package. This time the last 12 weeks average weekly pay was filled which was a lot more than my basic weekly cause of overtime and they go on the larger amount so I'll be getting 2k more than what I would be if they went on my basic weekly.
make sure you take your personal day before you leave as they don't pay that if you have taken it , but the can't stop you taking it, i'm on mine today

Samuel137

Oh nice, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info  :thumbup:

Gymbunny

Quote from: kateluff on 18-04-20, 12:24PM
Quote from: Samuel137 on 18-04-20, 04:08AM
make sure you take your personal day before you leave as they don't pay that if you have taken it , but the can't stop you taking it, i'm on mine today

I will need to ask about a re- adjusted redundancy figure then.

Samuel137

If you've done overtime this year then you should for sure, how many meetings have you had? It was something I was gonna ask in my 2nd meeting but I was given a letter with a new figure automatically at the start of the meeting with the new figure.

Harley1967

I got told you don’t get personal day till after September

lucgeo

This was raised in the redundancies last May...some were taking it paid,( I did) but others were being told that it was part of the holiday pay procedures, and would not be paid if you left the company before the October...if I recall correctly there is a paragraph covering this in the policies for people holiday pay section online? I'm unable to access it anymore, so can't clarify it as fact  ???

I have quickly scrolled back on the posts relating to this last year....but VLH suffered a blip earlier this year, and a lot of posts are now blank.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Gymbunny

Quote from: Samuel137 on 18-04-20, 02:30PM
If you've done overtime this year then you should for sure, how many meetings have you had? It was something I was gonna ask in my 2nd meeting but I was given a letter with a new figure automatically at the start of the meeting with the new figure.

I have had my 2nd meeting. Never given a new redundancy figure. I have been doing 3 out of 4 Sundays all year, and also working day off to cover holidays and sickness.

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Baker1

Quote from: Gymbunny on 18-04-20, 06:43PM
Quote from: Samuel137 on 18-04-20, 02:30PM

I have had my 2nd meeting. Never given a new redundancy figure. I have been doing 3 out of 4 Sundays all year, and also working day off to cover holidays and sickness.

I requested my new figure, 12 week average at my first meeting, got it on friday, i did a lot of overtime as soon as i heard we were getting made redundant, my new figure is £9k higher

Baker1

Quote from: lucgeo on 18-04-20, 02:44PM
This was raised in the redundancies last May...some were taking it paid,( I did) but others were being told that it was part of the holiday pay procedures, and would not be paid if you left the company before the October...if I recall correctly there is a paragraph covering this in the policies for people holiday pay section online? I'm unable to access it anymore, so can't clarify it as fact  ???

I have quickly scrolled back on the posts relating to this last year....but VLH suffered a blip earlier this year, and a lot of posts are now blank.

It says if you don’t complete 6 months of the new holiday year and take a personal day it will be deducted off your pay when you leave, just read it on OurTesco. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Samuel137

Wow 9k extra, I wish I done a lot more sundays now lol

@gymbunny did you ask them about it in your meeting? Definitely bring it up if you didnt if you've 3/4 sundays a month for sure.

Gymbunny

I will pull her aside the next time I see her.
Thanks all.

Helpisontheway

Finished on may 2nd(compulsory redundant, didn't want to go) 1st time back in store today. Bakery in total disarray despite being half the size. Packer who was left to soldier on by himself (poor sole) lasted 3 days before walking out. The staff filling in now under increasing pressure and not coping well. Before we were sent on our way we said bakery probably being sacrificed. Looks like we were right. Feel sorry the lads out of work now. Hopefully we find something soon. Last dig at drastic Dave before I go. Hope karma sneaks up and bites you in the arse you snake.

Samuel137

I also left may 2nd, they wouldn't offer suitable hours and refused to budge even by a little bit so took redundancy in the end.
I went to the store last week and they are struggling, had bakers from other stores going in to help. I saw my old boss and hes saying now that the store manager is saying in hindsight he should of maybe done more to try and keep some bakers, literally the whole department left and took redundancy.

polar

Well I have a funny long story, that I'll try to keep short.

So 3/4 of our bakery got the push. I wanted to go but was retained.
When we were first told, I got out and found a new job. They were happy to wait, (I'll leave that bit there for now)

Fast forward to day one, place was broken 3 staff left. Someone came up with the idea to back fill the hole with temps and deli staff. SD came for a visit and lost it.. Place was empty and lights off.  End result management was told to fix it.

A job got offered to a Asda Baker, who rejected it based on lower pay.  :D

Fast forward to now, lock down put the job offer on hold. We'll that has now been offered and I'm off.  So now 2 pt bakers left. Best bit, managers rather than be happy to see staff moving on. It's easier just to ignore them, it's like I'm invisible.

I don't fully understand the logic behind this bakery cull. Cost is one thing but, the execution is very poor to say the least. I hope those affected find jobs, I feel for those who are staying. I feel like it's a bomb waiting to implode.  I'd rather go at my choice not theirs.

NightAndDay

I don't get why the SD would lose it, the decision to restructure the bakery came from Head Office levels, long servers would obviously jump at the chance of redundancy and part timers would look for a job elsewhere, they can't expect that there would be loyalty from front line staff if they keep swinging the axe as they are doing and paying less than competitors, it was always going to be a mass exodus, only those new to the company or those who need it would take internal redeployment.

I get toeing the company line but even to the everyday common man, the SD losing it is transparant Tesco politics all over, a competent SD would look at the underlying problem, staff morale, retention and compensation.

polar

Night and day, I understand where you are coming from. However our sd is one of those types,  you must have met one?

The undying issue is really poor managers not willing to challenge poor decisions, at no point did anyone say "erm, that's not right surely?". They just carried on, thinking oh well iam safe.

dotnochance

Because SDs are morons, who have no clear idea what its like to work in a supermarket. Back in march at the start of Coronavirus the SD visited the store and was going nuts at the duty manager on why the shelves where empty even though Tesco where pumping in extra stock it was all through the back, reason was there's no night shift to work stock, since Tesco have for years f***ed over nights. SDs and head office think stock magically appears on the shelves 

Paulie

A few weeks have gone by with new set up and it's a bit of mess, we are down about 3/4 staff and basically doing the same workload as before. Everybody is rushed off their feet and the place is untidy.

lucgeo

Quote from: NightAndDay on 23-05-20, 12:42AM
I don't get why the SD would lose it, the decision to restructure the bakery came from Head Office levels, long servers would obviously jump at the chance of redundancy and part timers would look for a job elsewhere, they can't expect that there would be loyalty from front line staff if they keep swinging the axe as they are doing and paying less than competitors, it was always going to be a mass exodus, only those new to the company or those who need it would take internal redeployment.

I get toeing the company line but even to the everyday common man, the SD losing it is transparant Tesco politics all over, a competent SD would look at the underlying problem, staff morale, retention and compensation.

To get on in Tesco management you have to have three human traits....narcissism, greed and dishonesty.

Every new initiative from the top will be passed down and delegated to each management lower rung, with an instruction of " sort it!" None have the philosophy of the "buck stops here" They care little of how it's "sorted" but the unwritten understanding will be to get the results with the least amount of redundancies, be that by lying, ruthless bullying or managing out of the business prior to payouts! 
If it hasn't gone as planned, then the tier system is again in evidence with who's to blame, as each one of them have their eyes firmly focused on their annual bonuses, and the new company car update!  Every SD knows that when they make an ' unannounced ' visit, the store will be operating at 110%, there will be an abundance of staff, and only need chat to the chosen few! They know, because they've done it themselves, unless they're graduates, then they are so gullible to believe the facade presented. The last thing SD's want is a store not functioning or numerous customer complaints...so they arrive, all spruced up, kick s***, take fully laid on refreshments, then swan out after an hour, job done!!
Next day, overtime ban announced for the next few weeks as over budget for yesterday's show...SM shouting and bullying, Senior team got their line managers running round like headless chickens, shopfloor atmosphere toxic, and CA's getting it in the neck from every angle. Oh! nostalgia there from those happy days, I do miss it!! :-X :D
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lackofinterest

Quote from: lucgeo on 23-05-20, 09:38AM
Quote from: NightAndDay on 23-05-20, 12:42AM

To get on in Tesco management you have to have three human traits....narcissism, greed and dishonesty.

Every new initiative from the top will be passed down and delegated to each management lower rung, with an instruction of " sort it!" None have the philosophy of the "buck stops here" They care little of how it's "sorted" but the unwritten understanding will be to get the results with the least amount of redundancies, be that by lying, ruthless bullying or managing out of the business prior to payouts! 
If it hasn't gone as planned, then the tier system is again in evidence with who's to blame, as each one of them have their eyes firmly focused on their annual bonuses, and the new company car update!  Every SD knows that when they make an ' unannounced ' visit, the store will be operating at 110%, there will be an abundance of staff, and only need chat to the chosen few! They know, because they've done it themselves, unless they're graduates, then they are so gullible to believe the facade presented. The last thing SD's want is a store not functioning or numerous customer complaints...so they arrive, all spruced up, kick s***, take fully laid on refreshments, then swan out after an hour, job done!!
Next day, overtime ban announced for the next few weeks as over budget for yesterday's show...SM shouting and bullying, Senior team got their line managers running round like headless chickens, shopfloor atmosphere toxic, and CA's getting it in the neck from every angle. Oh! nostalgia there from those happy days, I do miss it!! :-X :D
:D :D :D :thumbup:

Hammer10

Sd,s all over the company are prat’s they only turn up when the s*** is hitting the fan if an sd had any brain which they don’t share even a brain cell between themselves they should do like we are told take a step back look at the bigger picture and see that staff have left we have a virus going on and instead of telling managers to fix it work with them to solve the problem ,but that’s work and they don’t like doing that.

jonty

Some minor changes have been happening around confectionery bakery items. Apparently more stuff is changing supplier and going in paper bags. Does anyone know if this is all confec or just some lines and will this affect heatmap hours? Apparently this is all now live in Scotland stores.

Any info appreciated :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk