News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:21AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Xmas bank holiday

Started by Noyouwont, 09-10-20, 10:03AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noyouwont

Hi.
As Boxing day falls on a Saturday, and the Monday after is now a bank holiday.
Can you be forced to work the Saturday if contracted (Boxing day)

I didn't think Tesco would make people work this, but we are being told we have to work if Saturday is our contracted day.

Any info please.
With no power comes no responsibility.

dairyfresh

Last I heard tesco was keeping saturday as the bank holiday

Rad

Yes boxing day is a saturday bank holiday.  You can't be forced to work any of the christmas and new year bank holidays though, so just request it off at your seasonal working arrangements meeting. Or submit a holiday form.

oldfashionedplayer

As per holiday policy you can request it off, either as paid, unpaid or work a different day but Christmas day and boxing day you don't have to work at all. Regardless of day or night staff.

lucgeo

Read your contract and highlight where it reads NO colleague need work Xmas day, Boxing Day or New Year's Day...unless the contracts have been changed on the QT  ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Daredevil

It looks like Tesco are classing Saturday as a BH.Official hol on gov.uk is the 28th! Can Tesco change it to suit themselves?

expressman77

If tesco class mon  as Bank holiday then the Saturday  is a normal working day.
But all holiday and bank holiday time off should have been requested by now.
If you havnt requested any of the dates off then you should be working

oldfashionedplayer

Here's better clarification to save you all going on about tesco changing days from this to that, generally nights can vote on it but your supposed to be a part of that and be closer to the time of which to class as the day for people to have off, but you can take any.

QuoteStores and Customer Fulfilment Centres

If you joined Tesco before 26th January 2009, working on
a bank holiday is voluntary unless your contract specifically
requires you to do so.
If you joined on or after 26th January 2009 and there are
insufficient volunteers to work on a bank holiday, you may
be required to work on up to five bank holidays (excluding

-Internal, Holiday, Version 3.2, Page 7 of 10 â€" February 2020

Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day) if you
are normally scheduled to work on the day the bank holiday
falls. Colleagues in Scotland do not have to work on 2nd
January if they don’t want to.

If you’re on a flexi contract, it is your choice to work any
flexi hours on a bank holiday.
If you don’t have a fixed working pattern, you will be treated
as if you are scheduled to work on the bank holiday.
However, it will still be your choice whether to work the day
or not, and a day will be deducted from your bank holiday
allowance if you don’t work.

extrastore

What days are the store closed this Xmas Newyear please

whatajoke2019

Christmas Day falls on a Friday this year-so for the majority of larger stores we won't then close again until Easter Sunday-in England, anway.

Rad

Quote from: extrastore on 21-10-20, 02:12PM
What days are the store closed this Xmas Newyear please
Closed for customers. Christmas Day.

lucgeo

The stores can only open if they have enough staff...Boxing Day and New Year's Day are staff voluntary working days...so if no one volunteers/agrees to work ??? But you always get the few who balls it up for everyone else  :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Halftone84

I asked my sm about this 3 weeks ago and have heard nothing back.  She wasn't sure what day Tesco class as the bank holiday.

I booked the Monday as that's the bank holiday on the gov.uk site, but would rather the boxing day off as my regular shift is close Thursday, day off Friday, early Saturday, giving me no extra time off whatsoever.

Nobody in this post has actually clarified anything though.

Unless you work nights, the bank holidays in England this year are Xmas Day, Boxing Day (Saturday 26/12/20) and New Years Day. All wages clerks, store managers and Stock & Admin managers were given this information in March.

Scruff

what are the bank holidays for nights then?

Nights are usually given a choice of 2 out of 3 possible options.  Xmas Eve into Xmas Day, Xmas Day into Boxing Day or Boxing Day in to Sunday 27th. The decision will have been made in your store earlier in the year

bornfree

Am I right in thinking that nobody can be forced to work Boxing Day? Our night team are being told they have to work Boxing Day and not Xmas eve. I thought they were supposed to be consulted about their preference. Can anyone tell me if this is in writing anywhere? Thank you!

oldfashionedplayer

If you work nights you will have a designated 24 hour period which will replace the actual bank holiday. This starts at 12 noon on the day before the bank holiday, or 12 noon on the day of the bank holiday. This will be agreed following consultation with your management team, union representatives, and members of the night team. 

https://colleague-help.ourtesco.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005206226-Holiday-Non-Work-Pay-locations-What-named-bank-holidays-am-I-entitled-to-

Never gets consulted with us, it's apparently talked about in april though is what we are told, however we always challenge it as in your terms and conditions it still says its a bank holiday and can't be forced so if you wanna take it there refer back to your terms and conditions, as you are supposed to be a part of the voting process (which never happens)

also refer to holiday policy - Page 7 and 8 out 10

Stores and Customer Fulfilment Centres
If you joined Tesco before 26th January 2009, working on
a bank holiday is voluntary unless your contract specifically
requires you to do so.
If you joined on or after 26th January 2009 and there are
insufficient volunteers to work on a bank holiday, you may
be required to work on up to five bank holidays (excluding Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day) if you
are normally scheduled to work on the day the bank holiday
falls. Colleagues in Scotland do not have to work on 2nd
January if they don’t want to.
If you’re on a flexi contract, it is your choice to work any
flexi hours on a bank holiday.
If you don’t have a fixed working pattern, you will be treated
as if you are scheduled to work on the bank holiday.
However, it will still be your choice whether to work the day
or not, and a day will be deducted from your bank holiday
allowance if you don’t work.

So use whichever you want, there's plenty to use against them, and the option of using a holiday, unpaid or working a different day is also a reasonable request from you :)

bornfree

Thank you oldfashionedplayer. This is exactly the info I was hoping for!

bornfree

Sorry, me again! So if 'they' have decided, without consulting nights, that Boxing Day starts at noon on Christmas Day and ends at noon on Boxing Day, can the night shift be forced to work Boxing night (ie Saturday 26th) because that isn't deemed to be Boxing day anymore or does the lack of consultation mean this can be overturned?  Hope this makes sense. Trying to get my arguments ready!

trotter

Hi all, newbie here.

Just joined Tesco as temp night worker and as a bit of Luddite cannot find where to start new topic on here...is it because I'm a newbie maybe?

My shifts are Friday, Saturday and Sundays. So with Christmas Day falling on a Friday would I be expected to do my night shift that night for Boxing Day opening?

TIA

[mod]Welcome to VLH. You would not need to start a new topic as your question fits into this topic. However ref: starting new topic. Please read VLH Supporter Benefits[/mod]

Welshie

Hi Trotter , yes you would definitely be expected to work boxing night . As a new xmas temp , you'll also  be expected to work xmas night and new years night .  At the risk of sounding rude it's a xmas job , expect to work xmas . You'll also be asked to work xmas eve and new years eve .

VladPutin

Ladies and gentlemen, it is 2020, remember.

Quick phone call to the DM informing him you've been coughing for the last hour or so and have a fever, and you can have both Xmas and New Year's off! >:D

oldfashionedplayer

that's true vlad, and spend it with family, just don't go shopping in a tesco store near you lol.

grim up north

Not really Vlad. You'll be expected to have a test if you have symptoms. They aren't as hard to get either as the media like to play out

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk