News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 11:59AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

PDAs

Started by beentheredoneit, 11-12-20, 02:25PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beentheredoneit

I am guessing that this problem is in most / all stores. My store (superstore) has 8 pdas left.
I recently went to an extra that had 5.
Lots of jobs not being done / done properly / on time because of this.
Is it time for HO to hold an amnesty and order some, as clearly the accountability with the cabinets isnt working ...
(but not before they give me my redundancy in January ......)
beentheredoneit

extrastore

same at my store, also shortage of printers and batteries

VladPutin

If you start any later than 0700 in my store, you're probably going to have to share a PDA and/or printer with someone else.

gomezz

How many broken PDAs are there laying around gathering dust at the back of a drawer because the manager can't be arsed to call them in to be fixed?
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

We have about 20 pdas but somehow they're all gone before 8:30am. Then you find most people don't even need it they just have it just in case. Ask if you can borrow one and they get in a huff, even though they aren't even using any at the given moment but they might need one later. Yeah me too love... Difference is I have meat going out of date. even less likely to get a printer right now. Apparently non food need one all day and is more important than meat that needs reducing lol. Again they aren't even using it but might need it later... Well put it f****ng back and then when you need one go and get one. Too many greedy individuals that hoard them and then the rest do because they may never get one otherwise.

penguin

The last Tesco store I worked in had ongoing issues with pdas going missing, several of them never turned up again, it got to the point where written warnings started being issued for those who misplaced them.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

just curious

It could try asking your distribution center that does the recycling of cardboard and plastics for you if they have found any , as sometimes PDA's do get lost / misplaced in the rubbish , i bet they have had hundreds if not thousands of pieces of lost equipment in the rubbish every year ? . The Recycling depots could possibly make a fortune selling them back to you if it were allowed .  :-X

Fixxer

What's the rules on how PDA's get replaced? There's got to be a reason for this.
My store, which is an average sized superstore, had 20 less than 2 years ago. There's now about 6, at best.

Is there a huge cost associated with getting them fixed or is it something that is tracked against a department or what? There's got to be a reason that everyone has to struggle to find one.

gomezz

I seem to recall that the book value of a Reach / PDA as used by a dot com driver was £1000!   Seems a lot for what is basically a budget smartphone in a toughened case (OK, with scanner as well).
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

whatajoke2019

I don't know if the declaration still exists in some format but when I first started a number of years ago I had to sign a sheet saying I had to take care otherwise further action (up to and including disciplinary) action would be taken.

In our store when they are swapped out e.g. cracked screen they no longer include the strap so unless you use a label to affix it you can't add the RFID chip so you know which one belongs where.

And someone, somehow, is restricted to a certain number (think it's two) yet seemingly manages to get one out  :-X.

Problem is, if they are asking a colleague, it's the the colleague who'll be thrown under a bus when they get damaged/go missing  ???

beentheredoneit

Whoever thought that putting the tracker in the strap was a good idea is the main cause they cant be tracked anymore.
We used to give out warnings for losing them, but now there is no control - declaration not been used for years
To get a new one, the store manager has to complete a form saying how the lost one was lost, who was responsible and what action was taken.
Being as they have ultimate accountability, no manager is willing to admit their incompetence, so the staff suffer.
There is no way people should be hiding them - 'just in case' - again up to management to sort - guessing it doesnt affect them enough
beentheredoneit

lordadmiral

We r some way good with PDAs, few were reported as faulty. But the big problem is with people not putting them back into cabinet. So you might find one laying on top of pallets, inside tray with waste, milk dolly, on the floor etc. With finger print sign up cabinet i am surprised no actions are taken as it is obvious who used it last one.

kaled78

same in my store,despite the fingerprint reader,they are often found lying around,where people can't be bothered to put them back in the cabinet,and nothing is ever said

fscer

Opposite in my store, we're very strict.

chris9997

Quote from: gomezz on 14-12-20, 09:59AM
I seem to recall that the book value of a Reach / PDA as used by a dot com driver was £1000!   Seems a lot for what is basically a budget smartphone in a toughened case (OK, with scanner as well).
I think the cost of a centralised expense may be greatly Increased by ho to encourage stores to look after them. They are less likely to look after an item costing £100 than 1 costing the store £1000

beentheredoneit

have heard that things are planned to get a pda cabinet similar to key cabinet - where ho can see who has what key at every store. long overdue.
beentheredoneit

person7

our store has plenty of pdas to choose from, the issue is 85% of them dont work, battery faults, scanner faults, no strap, cant use newman for the papers as its zoomed in too much.

we need new pdas i think across the whole of tesco - bit much when i have to get 2-3 pdas to find which one is working (the chips have broke on a lot so they get put back in different "sockets" because it no longer has the "place this in socket 14 not 8" etc.

some are even cellotaped to keep the battery in!  ???

beentheredoneit

simple process to get them swopped out. doesnt need a manager to do it. simply ring 55999
beentheredoneit

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk