News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 01:05AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 311
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 278
Total: 278

Holiday booking

Started by dfl, 30-01-20, 09:55PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gomezz

What happens when the wages clerk codes the holiday wrong such as coding a BH instead of Unpaid which leaves the colleagues shorter of days left than they should have?  How can the colleague check ahead of time that what is booked on the system matches what they agreed with their manager?
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Wages clerks only input what managers tell them. If the coding is incorrect it can be changed once the problem is brought to light.

Twinkletoes

Unrelated kind of but anyone else's store changed holiday policy only affecting night-shift replenishment? Our store manager has purposely discriminated against night team by only allowing 2 people off on any given night.   Considering we work in largest store in Scotland, it now means that its near impossible to organise holidays :(

[gmod]Yes a bit off topic, name calling removed.[/gmod]

Katarn2000

I worked for store managers that used to make stupid policies like that up without thinking them through. I ignored them and followed company policy. It worked for the holidays but I'm not a manager now.

lucgeo

At this late stage of the year, any request for holidays left to book should automatically be queried as to where this time owing has come from, as all holiday booking windows have passed, and each team manager should have either completed all requests or allocated holidays to those who failed to book in the allotted and extended grace time allowance. The manager should know instantly if one of their team, had a cancelled holiday due to sickness, or carried over etc...hence the need to check both the diary and the system for error in coding previously.

@Mark calloway

Unsure how you have managed to accrue holidays from previous years, if only due to not booking your full entitlement each year? All holidays entitlement should be taken, and there is a legal baseline of how many weeks people should be off p.a. Unless you have not taken your full allowance due to the protected reasons, e.g. Sickness, maternity leave, then it's a "you snooze, you lose" situation.

Who agreed to you carrying them over? And do you have it in writing?
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Mark calloway

In writing?? Not a chance in our store. I've asked for hols but frequently told there's already two off so it's "no". If I keep getting told no how can I get them??

lucgeo

First off you request your holidays ASAP, you can request following years holidays before the new booking window opens, to ensure you get the times you want. Ask for a holiday request meeting with your manager to enable you to see what weeks are available in the diary, this should be happening anyway with the normal booking sessions.

If the new holiday booking system comes in on the tablet, then you can clearly see what weeks/days are available to book, and you don't have to rely on the manager's mates getting preference.

You should speak to your manager in the first instance regarding what holiday weeks are available to book your remaining entitlement, and your holidays carried over. Hopefully they will confirm their agreement to you for it to be carried over...if not...you need to speak to your rep for advice. Any untaken allowance from previous years should be questioned, preferably to the SM, as you have been prevented from taking your full legal holiday entitlement away from the business in the previous years, and therefore have had owing monetary payments due to you withheld.
The manager can deny all they want that they didn't agree to carry it over, but they will have a hard job proving it, as you clearly haven't taken all your allowance, so must have been on the understanding that it was agreed to carry over, as no one is going to just go without their entitlement or pay,  off their own bat are they??

helpme

Nowanexmgr:
"Tough.

If poster cannot keep a tally of how many days holiday they have taken then quite simply they only have themselves to blame.

Unpaid leave if you're lucky. Personally if I was your manager I would just refuse the time off in order to teach you a lesson."

And this is why staff who have worked for Tescos for a long time are leaving!
So called managers who have no integrity or moral courage that treat staff like dirt!!

Mark calloway

Well said. So glad Nowanexmanager is a ex manager. What an obnoxious person.

Long gone

Should call himself "nowanexmanagerbecauseiwasuselessatmyjob"
If he tried "teaching me a lesson"  I'd have got him sacked faster than he could blink and he'd be on the dole the week after

lucgeo

No it should be...
nowanexmangerwhogotredundancythenreinstatedpossiblytobemaderedundantagain...

He/she's a bit like marmite...I've taken a sharp intake of breath on some of their posts, remonstrated on others, my response #10 on this topic, but I get where they're coming from most of the time. Old school, old standards.

lucgeo

@Mark Calloway

You'd do well to read the link provided by Katarn2000 on the flexi contract questions topic.

Redshoes

There is a set percentage of how much a drop can have off at once. I have seen this sort of thing happen before, the maths just don't add up. With a restriction like that there may not be any gaps left in the diary. A few colleagues on long service six weeks holidays can block the diary, easily.
We work to live and not live to work so holidays are important. We need a good work life balance but on the other hand we need to be able to deliver our jobs. I assume that an over booking has taken place and that is why the store manager has said this.
Holidays should be authorised on first come first served basis. The sooner you get the form in the better.
Only way to carry holidays over is for them to go in the system as holidays but you come to work and don't clock and take time back next year as TL. I understand that sick and maternity holidays uns used are paid but can take as TL. Time outstanding from this time last year is very poor organisation and should not happen.
by the way, wages clerk can't over book holidays, the system won't allow. This does not stand for bh, they can be overbooked but they just go as unpaid, the system just does this. A good wages clerk will catch this but they are human and if flooded with lots at bookings at the end of the year mistakes can happen.

Ford Torino

This takes me back to a few years ago in my less bolshie days. My manager told me I had so many weeks off, so I booked accordingly there and then in front of him. In the final week, I was staying with my friend a hundred and fifty miles from home - when on the first day, a colleague tells me via social media that my manager urgently needed to speak to me. Well I hardly liked to be disturbed on holiday, but I'd just be worrying about whatever it was, so thought it best to just get it out the way. So I phoned him, and he told me that he had miscalculated how much holiday I was entitled to as I had dropped from six days to five - and I should be working that week after all. Could I come in that morning? When I told him I was staying with a friend a hundred and fifty miles away for the week, his reply was...

"Well can you come in tomorrow?"

I said something like "Most probably not" and hung up on the damned fool! So that left a raw taste in my mouth for the rest of my holiday. When I went back the following week, he said he had graciously paid me for three days, but I would have to make up the other two for his mistake. I suggested carrying them over, but he said that couldn't be done and I'd have to work Good Friday and Easter Monday (which I never usually do) to make up for it.

Can't help thinking I'd have been well within my rights to tell him to get stuffed.

hornimans135

I will be retiring at the end of this and will be dropping a day and will be being paid for it , do I have to  book a holiday day or bank holidays day for it.

wizard

Hornimans135 , you can drop a fifth of your working week for 6months before you retire and get paid for it , it doesn’t come out of your holiday days .

lucgeo

Have you informed the pension dept of your intention to retire? When are you due to retire?
It is advisable to inform your manager and the pension dept at least 8 months prior to your redundancy date, giving them plenty of time to enable everybody to arrange your drop down in hours.
Your manager should have explained to you the drop in hours, which is one fifth of your contracted hours, and arranged, by mutual agreement, as to what shift/ hours you drop. This takes effect for your remaining 6 months to your retirement date.
So if your having a day dropped from your shift, you are still paid for it, and it is still classed as your working week. Therefore you still get the same allowance regarding holidays, bank holidays etc.. It is not covered by your allowance, and you don't have to use up any entitlement to cover it...think off it as T/L in advance.
You can use any remaining holidays, or b/h entitlement to finish earlier, if you still have some outstanding, nearer the date, again mutually agreed.

How long have you worked for Tesco's?? As some long serving colleagues will have accrued frozen pay, from when they started, based on the contracted hours you did then, not now. So if you qualify, this should also be paid on retirement.

If your age plus years of service add up to 80 years or more, you keep your discount card.

hornimans135

so does this mean for a weeks holiday I only have to book 4 days instead of 5? many thanks

lucgeo

Hmm....you'd have to double check that...your entitlement doesn't change, but they may incorporate the paid shift as part of your holiday entitlement, if your a union member, ask your rep to enquire as to how it's calculated.

Ooohh...now you've got me thinking, as if they take it off your entitlement, then they'd not be granting you a paid drop down...I'm thinking it's probably your right, and only need to be booking 4 days!!

Anyone else got thoughts on this??

madness

It's a nice perk but doesnt half add more complexity to the running of the company to get it right.

Paupers wage

I read that you have to be employed by Tesco’s for 10 years to take advantage of the retirement day reduction in the last 6 months before your retirement date

forrestgimp

I think you are correct, there is a stipulation like that.

Plato

If you work 5 days and drop to 4 , you still have to book 5 days for your weeks holiday.

lalaland

Don’t book full weeks then just one or two days a week that’s what I’m doing then I still get paid for the day I’ve dropped without it affecting my holiday allowance.

Redshoes

Quote from: Plato on 10-03-20, 06:53PM
If you work 5 days and drop to 4 , you still have to book 5 days for your weeks holiday.

No you don't, you only book off contracted days. You can opt to do overtime on your day off but the brief is that you should have down time and not do this too often.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk