News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:51PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,123
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 304
Total: 308

Face Masks

Started by Welshie, 10-07-20, 10:20AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumblerumble

My Store Manager was on that Zoom call and told us he that initially we would have to but would have to wait to see what government guidelines stated

Quote from: Bleh on 15-07-20, 12:52PM
Zoom call I was on yesterday said staff would be required to wear them.

Toady

what about those working hot deli do they have to wear maskx as no screen for them

Hopeful soul

Hello I'm new here :) I work in a store in Scotland and we've been forced to wear these " face co erings" for the past week, it is horrendous, staff are struggling to breathe, feeling faint and dizzy, struggling to see, staff are losing their voices and getting sore throats, puffy, sore and irratated eyes,  people are also getting sores and skin problems around their nose and mouth area, they are suffering from headaches and dehydration, people are having panic attacks and hyperventilating, when your glasses or face visors steam up its difficult to see where your going or what your doing,  it's almost impossible to communicate effectively with each other or customers, these things were not designed for use in a retail setting where people are doing heavy physical jobs at the same time as having to manoeuvre around customers and communicate with them and each other, staff are also having to spend a small fortune supplying their own coverings and visors as the tesco issued ones aren't suitable for many people, there aren't enough visors so people are having to buy their own, it's a nightmare and we're only a week into it, the thought of this for at least another 15 weeks is unbearable.

lemons84

As per Tesco style our store manager had no clue on face coverings and said he was ‘awaiting ‘guidance from Head Office’

Will keep you posted!

Shoestring

Agree with Hopeful soul completely.
I will not be forced to wear a gag against my will, if you can prove I have the cold then I would be willing to wear it for everyone else's peace of mind.
I am asthmatic and could not cope with having my airways blocked akin to having your head permanently under cover.
I do not want to be forced to breathe in my own carbon dioxide all day long, it is bad enough in hot humid weather as it is and my asthma is under control, this will trigger it constantly as we all have different triggers. You only get one reliever a month and it wouldn't last the duration with constant use. Don't tell me to get a certificate because there is not one, you get your inhalers by prescription and I am not going to jump through simple Simon's hoops to have to constantly prove my condition and having to advertise it to everyone.

This is a government mandated request, it is not a statute act that can be backed by law so is not enforceable by law.
Retail staff have been given exemption and this should be respected and staff who want to wear one can and no one should be made to fear their role if they choose not to.
This is out of control and the level of blind compliance is staggering beyond belief. Absolutely insane what fear can get people to do, that is another discussion. This is the worst kind of division tactics ever witnessed in my history and everyone just goes along with just like another brick in the wall and can't see through the nonsense because the Mickey Mouse farm said so.
I am not going to risk my health on a whim and shouldn't be pressured to do so, I have no virus and don't care about it and I'm sick of this BS, maybe more people should do a lot more research and stop being simple Simon's lackey!

Rumblerumble

Absolutly agree, they are not designed for jobs like ours

Quote from: Hopeful soul on 16-07-20, 05:17PM
Hello I'm new here :) I work in a store in Scotland and we've been forced to wear these " face co erings" for the past week, it is horrendous, staff are struggling to breathe, feeling faint and dizzy, struggling to see, staff are losing their voices and getting sore throats, puffy, sore and irratated eyes,  people are also getting sores and skin problems around their nose and mouth area, they are suffering from headaches and dehydration, people are having panic attacks and hyperventilating, when your glasses or face visors steam up its difficult to see where your going or what your doing,  it's almost impossible to communicate effectively with each other or customers, these things were not designed for use in a retail setting where people are doing heavy physical jobs at the same time as having to manoeuvre around customers and communicate with them and each other, staff are also having to spend a small fortune supplying their own coverings and visors as the tesco issued ones aren't suitable for many people, there aren't enough visors so people are having to buy their own, it's a nightmare and we're only a week into it, the thought of this for at least another 15 weeks is unbearable.

dotnochance

And yet doctors and nurses have been using them without sounding like children like some of you lot.
“suffering from headaches and dehydration“ yeah there’s a cure for that, it’s called having a glass of water

BUY TESLA STOCK

Scotland store employees/workers do not need to wear facial coverings. It is only a strong recommendation.

Rumblerumble

And also PPE for Dr and Nurses is designed for that job. Face coverings is not designed for retail work

dotnochance

Then how come over in countries like Japan it’s been the norm for decades to wear masks I’ve been many times and I’ve seen them use it in supermarkets loads of times.
And not designed for retail work??  ;D ;D ;D What a load of rubbish they are designed to be used in ANY field.

Hopeful soul

Quote from: Shoestring on 16-07-20, 05:56PM
Agree with Hopeful soul completely.
I will not be forced to wear a gag against my will, if you can prove I have the cold then I would be willing to wear it for everyone else's peace of mind.
I am asthmatic and could not cope with having my airways blocked akin to having your head permanently under cover.
I do not want to be forced to breathe in my own carbon dioxide all day long, it is bad enough in hot humid weather as it is and my asthma is under control, this will trigger it constantly as we all have different triggers. You only get one reliever a month and it wouldn't last the duration with constant use. Don't tell me to get a certificate because there is not one, you get your inhalers by prescription and I am not going to jump through simple Simon's hoops to have to constantly prove my condition and having to advertise it to everyone.

This is a government mandated request, it is not a statute act that can be backed by law so is not enforceable by law.
Retail staff have been given exemption and this should be respected and staff who want to wear one can and no one should be made to fear their role if they choose not to.
This is out of control and the level of blind compliance is staggering beyond belief. Absolutely insane what fear can get people to do, that is another discussion. This is the worst kind of division tactics ever witnessed in my history and everyone just goes along with just like another brick in the wall and can't see through the nonsense because the Mickey Mouse farm said so.
I am not going to risk my health on a whim and shouldn't be pressured to do so, I have no virus and don't care about it and I'm sick of this BS, maybe more people should do a lot more research and stop being simple Simon's lackey!
completely agree, in the store where I work staff have been told that no one is e exempt unless they provide a medical certificate to say so, which doesn't exist, if we don't wear them or if we lift or remove them on the shop floor we face disciplinary or suspension, I've seen staff members in the back air propping themselves against cages gasping for breath and yet everyone is afraid to say anything, one girl spoke up and was immediately classed as a trouble maker by certain managers

Hopeful soul

Quote from: dotnochance on 16-07-20, 07:37PM
And yet doctors and nurses have been using them without sounding like children like some of you lot.
“suffering from headaches and dehydration“ yeah there’s a cure for that, it’s called having a glass of water
it's people like you undermining the real concerns and difficulties that people are having with this situation that help give tesco the right to toss aside permanent health and safety regulations in favour of temporary covid measures that will probably change again in a few weeks, who are you to insult and poke fun at people in distress, if you wish to wear a mask I would never stop you,  people are different, with different physical and mental health situations, it cannot be a case of "stick something on your face or else"

Hopeful soul

Quote from: Rumblerumble on 16-07-20, 08:05PM
And also PPE for Dr and Nurses is designed for that job. Face coverings is not designed for retail work
exactly, I don't remember going into store and performing surgery on anyone, also ppe at work is quite rightly heavily regulated by the hse and bss, this is not being classed as ppe for tesco staff as none of it is certified or regulated for use in a retail environment, check out the hse page on ppe at work, if someone in tesco has an accident or health complication as a result of whatever face covering they are using then tesco won't be held liable as its not classed as company issued ppe, it's a personal item for personal use

BUY TESLA STOCK

Preacherpauly

I don't mind wearing them. Some people wear them in my store but couldnt stop touching there face or readjusting them. One even complained that its so hot in store that they had to take it off.

Munchkin

In a clinical environment masks are part of the ppe uniform for staff including gowns gloves etc and have to be a certain standard and changed within a specific time frame in construction their masks are a different standard to keep out brick dust cement dust etc and anyone who has worn one will know that once they become damp with moisture from your breath the dust starts coming through no masks have any guidance for use in the various retail environments and could be even more risky than no mask you touch dirty products with or without gloves and at some point put your hand in your pocket for a pen etc you may touch mask to adjust it or take said mask offon your break and put in your pocket where you put your dirty hand and later you put said mask back on your face........ Its simply not comparable with wearing a mask while you do your shopping or if your a health care worker or any other worker anyone who lacks the mental capacity to understand this needs to wear more than a mask before being unleashed on society

grim up north

I was speaking to a member of staff in my local T yesterday. The only member of staff there that has been wearing a mask was directing people to checkouts. The store had 14000 masks delivered in Early April. All masks had gone in a week...

Started2008

I don’t mind wearing a facemask, yes it’s not comfortable for a 9 hour shift but I’d rather wear one and reduce the risk of infecting myself, family and other customers.

barafear

My view is probably just "heard it all before":

But ......if you've been wearing face masks for the last 15 weeks, then good on you. I admire your principles and despite the mixed messages from scientists, the WHO, Government and others, then if it has made you feel safer, and made you feel less likely to spread anything, then good on you.

However, what I don't go along with is that we "have to start protecting ourselves and others" NOW. Ok, I realise the virus is still around - but all reports are that it is nowhere near as prevalent as before.  And to be frank, if I was going to catch it from customers or other colleagues it probably would have happened sometime in the last four months. Equally, who knows how many people I have infected over the last four months by not wearing a face mask (and also them choosing not to wear one either).

I realise it's the Govt's decision, but as others have said, there is also an exemption for retail staff - so if Tesco do try to force us into wearing one, then I feel that would not be appropriate.

Regardless of the "effects" (headaches etc.) that some may mock, if the Govt advice is that we are exempt, then Tesco should follow that to the letter - obviously if workers choose to wear one, that's their prerogative.

Anyway - the "law" is for face coverings - so would Tesco mind if I wear a yellow bandana? Or any other colour in fact?

Clearly, wearing one of the "comical" masks is probably less appropriate.

Welshie

Barafear , I only see the need for masks now we're down to 1 metre social distancing and not the last 16wks , however I think the government are very late on bringing it in and also the policy is ridiculous that you need a mask in a shop but not to go to get a take out coffee or in  a sandwich bar.  Without a clear direct message people won't adhere to it and I'm sure the police have better things to do .

barafear

Welshie> appreciate the reply - and yes I do understand the "so called " reasons....

i.e. the reduction in social distancing:

Well, as far as I'm aware Tesco are still advising 2m - so no change there. And as for customers, whether it was 2m before or 1m+ now, the majority of them are not that concerned to stick rigidly.

The other reason is that supposedly now that lockdown measures have been eased so much more, then there are more people about - I understand that - although the opposite probably applies for supermarkets - now that a wider range of shops are open, then people have a choice of where to go - previously there were queues of people in our stores.

I do think these rules are being applied more for "smaller shops" - you must have seen it since June 15 - a lot of shops have been limiting numbers in their shops - to silly numbers like 5 or less - so after a while, people don't want to be hanging around - so the mandatory wearing of masks just means that shops will be more comfortable letting more people in - obviously, at this time, Tesco did the opposite - and started letting more in.

Yes, the rules differences between shops is ridiculous - and also pubs - so it's fine to sit/stand in a pub for hours on end with no mask - but heaven forbid a 40 min walk around the shops where you're unlikely to be "enclosed" by other people on very many occasions, but now you must wear a mask.

I'm not here to debate the Govt's decision - just comment on some of the lack of logic about it all.

lemons84

So, we are a week away from face coverings having to be worn in shops by customers but still no word as to whether or not we will have to wear one.

Surely the boffins at Tosco Towers have made up their minds about us wearing them or not by now?

My store manager - when I spoke to him today- said that he thinks it won’t be compulsory for us to wear them. He said he’s got stock of 5000 disposable masks but given there’s 600 staff at our store they won’t last long !

Welshie

As someone who is shielding to protect their OH , I haven't been out much and am not sure what's going on in the big bad world but I have noticed that all the delivery drivers are much more relaxed  , Tesco included . I cant imagine wearing a mask for a full shift but will in the future be happy to wear one into a shop . I will wear full protective hasmet suit if It meant i could get a holiday  ;D

gomezz

As a delivery driver I *am* more relaxed in my attitude as I have become accustomed to the new delivery protocols and worked out how to do things like ring door bells and open gates without touching them with my hands.  But I am *not* more relaxed in strictly applying the protocols and reminding customers to step back while I unload their shopping (usually) onto their doorstep.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Welshie

Gomezz , it was an observation.  .not a criticism.  As I say I am rarely out , I'm assuming other people have got used to what's going on.
It will be very strange for shielders come 1st August and they have to get used to the way things are now .  Some people have literally not been out of their homes for 16wks and its probably been the most surreal 16wks with the biggest changes in day to day life since wartime .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk