News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:32PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 291
Total: 294

Sainsbury's

Started by Twinkeltoes1, 03-03-17, 10:03PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OpShunned

Retail is dead ground for termites unless you want zero hour contracts and barely a national living wage.

The Germans lost the war but won the retail landscape of Great Britain  >:D >:D >:D

The Fat Cats are merely culling as many mice as they can.

The way ALL the retail operations are undertaking one would think that ONE entity is about to take control of the lot?

Tom Hardy

Night Shifts & PI what a shocker  >:(

fargone

They're all having a shake out.

JL

So much for DL being slow on the uptake and making drastic decisions it looks like the competition are following.

Bla bla bla

After this cull it will be 600 stores out of 1000 including convenience loosing or downgrading its night operation. They had a 3 year plan and this is seemingly the last year of it for now. So really Sainsbury's was ahead of the curve with its cuts. Only big online shops and 1 million + shops will have a top category night operation going forward.

Yorkshire dave

PI and merchandising have done well to last this long on nights fair due

Elspo

It's only the start

Elspo

I read there is another 3 year plan to follow, all to do with 'cost savings' :(

FunkSoulBrother

yo, i found these informative articles, store shop-floor reports from waitrose and sainsbury's colleagues. the sainsbury's report mentions some of the planned restructuring. the other article features reports from retail workers in france - where they say that some of the self-checkout stations have been reversed to traditional tills...

https://angryworkersworld.wordpress.com/2017/02/07/retail-chain-gangs-workers-reports-from-the-sainsbury-and-waitrose-shop-floor/
https://angryworkersworld.wordpress.com/2017/02/13/the-end-of-work-the-cashiers-at-the-front-line/

this is also interesting, report from a night-shift sainsbury's worker, picking for home-deliveries. a bit difficult to read, but perhaps of interest - i am a driver, so i don't know much about what's going down on the store front...

https://www.weareplanc.org/blog/creatures-of-the-night-changes-in-the-labour-process-at-sainsburys/

FunkSoulBrother

sorry for the double-post, but i thought i gonna add this one, just read it. the sainsbury's dc temps in london trying to stir s*** up, but got done for in the end. respect though for trying...

https://angryworkersworld.wordpress.com/2015/11/06/slow-down-at-sainsburys-warehouse-in-greenford/

OpShunned

Wilko warns nearly 4,000 staff could lose jobs
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/aug/11/wilko-warns-nearly-4000-staff-could-lose-jobs

Retail is screwed wherever you work it seems?  :o

Equalizer87

Retail = Dead sector
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

TheViking

Quote from: OpShunned on 13-08-17, 02:21PM
Wilko warns nearly 4,000 staff could lose jobs
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/aug/11/wilko-warns-nearly-4000-staff-could-lose-jobs

Retail is screwed wherever you work it seems?  :o

For way too long the tax payer has had to subsidise these large corporations, Tax credits have allowed these companies to pay garbage wages for to many years. I would agree many of us in retail are indeed screwed. As wages go up to the new living wage, Tesco will have to build a sustainable wage model, which means many of us will be out the door.

OpShunned

Tesco's 'sustainable wage model', upheld by TUSDAW, appears to be one whereby 'they' get rid of anyone on full time hours, has premium arrangements, a pension and replace them with single mothers, foreigners, students, giving them 10 hours a week and expect our Goverment to subsidise the wage with tax credits.

For this alone, Drastic and his cohort Stewart should be hauled before a panel to explain exactly what the f u * k they are up to?

This is a swindle,screwing the likes of those who are subsidising the wage of the colleague next to you?

cupcake29

I think for tax credits (depending on circumstances) you have to be working 16, 24 or 30 hours, and most of the Tesco jobs come under those thresholds.  They do seem to be wanting more singles/young people/migrants, due to more flexibility I suppose.

TheViking

Quote from: cupcake29 on 13-08-17, 10:28PM
I think for tax credits (depending on circumstances) you have to be working 16, 24 or 30 hours, and most of the Tesco jobs come under those thresholds.  They do seem to be wanting more singles/young people/migrants, due to more flexibility I suppose.

And I was thinking its was just my store that seems to be hiring just kids these days, the average age on my checkouts 5 years ago was probably late 30s now it's more like mid teens, or I'm just getting old 😆 With luck I will be out in the next 12-18 months and will not have to contend with this BS anymore..
And rumour has it senior teams will get the chop, oh well no great loss there, for what little they do...

lackofinterest

i hope that rumour isnt only a rumour!! >:D

lackofinterest

FatFraz

If they get rid of the Senior Team it would be one of Dave's best plans yet.  >:D

Lidl and Aldi don't have a check the checker and they seem to be doing ok. 

I hate to be honest but in our store there is one Lead and 3 LM on nights. They fill, give staff office talks for stupid reasons, do basic admin tasks or walk about the store talking and getting peoples backs up.

To provide this service we could have no Lead or LM and a few Shift Leaders on a few pounds extra per hour.

Many people would jump at the chance to escape the monotony of an aisle/checkout.

FunkSoulBrother

hey, not sure if this post would better fit the Sainsbury's thread, as the article is about working in the transport office for Wincanton, delivering for Sainsbury's. but then it is also about general conditions, I guess, so perhaps of more interest for the transport section.  Anyway, I thought the report makes some interesting points and in the end it's about the job you do, is it not, often not so many difference between companies really. I have to say, respect to all guys who drive them big trucks, having to drive the old van through rush-hour freaks me out often enough!
https://angryworkersworld.wordpress.com/2015/10/29/messing-with-the-drivers/

[admin]I think it does belong here. Nomad[/admin]

FatFraz

I agree, my granddad drove a HGV for years and doctors told him he had one of the most stressful jobs out there. The roads were a lot quieter back then too.  :thumbup:

OpShunned

QuoteThe posts will be replaced by fewer, but mostly better paid, new management roles in each store. Employees have the choice of either applying for these new roles or accepting a more junior position if unsuccessful. Otherwise they face redundancy

The Blitzcrieg boys must be pi**ing themselves ;D

Nomad

Sunday premium down to time and a quarter

A possible 'crossover' issue being discussed in the above thread in the 'Stores section of VLH.  Beginning with Reply #972.

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk